Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I wonder sometimes with a show that was notoriously tight about its line reads, if maybe every once in awhile you can clearly see that the actor eyes darting back and forth as they read their lines off of big idiot cue cards just off camera.

Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sedgr posted:

I wonder sometimes with a show that was notoriously tight about its line reads, if maybe every once in awhile you can clearly see that the actor eyes darting back and forth as they read their lines off of big idiot cue cards just off camera.

Maybe.

Outside live stuff pretty sure cue cards arn't used.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

David Warner had to use cue cards in Chain of Command, cause they got him in pretty last minute, but that's a rare exception.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sedgr posted:

Maybe.

I’m pretty confident that Brad Dourif of all people probably can remember his lines. He probably did that with his eyes just to come off as unsettling, as he is want to be

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scratch Monkey posted:

He probably did that with his eyes just to come off as unsettling, as he is want to be

I hear he always wants to make his characters really warm, friendly, and likeable, but he just really sucks at it. :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*looks left, right, left, right, dramatically...

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Star Trek: Eye Contact

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

The shields canna take it cap'n!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

[Geordi disliked this.]

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Staring down the Borg in an actual staring contest. Persistence is futile!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

dr_rat posted:

I hear he always wants to make his characters really warm, friendly, and likeable, but he just really sucks at it. :(

He's positively loveable as Doc Cochran in Deadwood :unsmith:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I choose Riker as the Federation's "Stare Off" representative.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dr_rat posted:

[Geordi disliked this.]

[Picard disliked this.]

[Icheb disliked this.]

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The hand acting in Picard for the holographic stuff is insanely embarrassing to look at! Also half the time they're very obviously not looking at a spot that makes sense, so whatever guide they were using on set as a focus point doesn't match up well with the CG that ended up being produced lol.

The Raffi character is the absolute worst at this excepting the scene at the end of season 1 when the synthetic chick is building that transmitter or whatever and she literally does this little downwards facing pinch and grab technique lol

For the love of God give these poor actors something physical to work with

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

in picard season 2 raffi hacks a korg nanokontrol mixer lmao

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The hand acting in Picard for the holographic stuff is insanely embarrassing to look at! Also half the time they're very obviously not looking at a spot that makes sense, so whatever guide they were using on set as a focus point doesn't match up well with the CG that ended up being produced lol.

The Raffi character is the absolute worst at this excepting the scene at the end of season 1 when the synthetic chick is building that transmitter or whatever and she literally does this little downwards facing pinch and grab technique lol

For the love of God give these poor actors something physical to work with

Hell, holograms were always solid looking pre new-trek, just have physical props for the holographic controls and paint out the strings.

Plus it's just better interface design if instead of waving at an arrow button to rotate the projection of a ship you just grab it and turn it around.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mailorder bees posted:

Didn't Starfleet and Quark used to get their kitchenware from Target or something? They use flower vases as alien drinking vessels with minimal changes, that has always happened.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

mailorder bees posted:

See this rules though, like when I see gaming joysticks being used in a movie lol

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
i thought it was funny cuz i was like "wait a minute, i have one of those in my music room"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Der Kyhe posted:

Didn't Starfleet and Quark used to get their kitchenware from Target or something? They use flower vases as alien drinking vessels with minimal changes, that has always happened.

The Klingon blood wine mugs are big measuring cups.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mailorder bees posted:

Had I been paying more attention I would have noticed it was a mixer. But alas I am not eagle eyed :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They used a 3D printer as a replicator in season 1

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Feltman-Langer mugs are what they use for raktajino mugs

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The blood wine bottles appear to be motor oil bottles.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kanar you not?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harry: Doctor, I'm depressed. It doesn't seem like I'm getting a promotion despite my contributions and position on the senior staff. I don't know what to do.
Doctor: I find a night of music often soothes the soul, and could open up your mind, in a way. There's a performance of the great clown Pagliacci in Holodeck 3 tonight. Go see it, maybe you'll get some perspective.
Harry: But doctor, you're Pagliacci.
Doctor: Yes, what's your point?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I'm Harry Kim I'm getting the Maquis elements fired up and plans to take the bridge on the 3rd shift.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm pretty sure the first Romulan Ale bottle was cooked up from scratch by the props department, probably out of acrylic.

One detail that a lot of merchandise (and I think even some of the later props) miss is that the bottle doesn't have a stepped top, it has a long skinny neck with stepped rings around it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Different breweries use different bottles, I’m sure.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Got some of that REAL Romulan hooch, back on deck 4 2100 tonight

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I hear Vulcan booze makes you more sober.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Harry: Doctor, I'm depressed. It doesn't seem like I'm getting a promotion despite my contributions and position on the senior staff. I don't know what to do.
Doctor: I find a night of music often soothes the soul, and could open up your mind, in a way. There's a performance of the great clown Pagliacci in Holodeck 3 tonight. Go see it, maybe you'll get some perspective.

I just saw the ep where Tom, having previously been demoted from lieutenant back down to ensign, gets promoted back to lieutenant.

And Harry stays at Ensign.

Bear in mind, at the start of the series, technically Tom was still a convicted with, idk, the equivalent of an "honorary" rank?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Harry sitting in the big chair during 3rd shift, again.....

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
*Harry gets promoted.*
[Suddenly across the other side of the galaxy]
Guinan: No, this isn't right, something is very wrong in this timeline. We need to go back in time and change this.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

dr_rat posted:

Citation needed. Dourif shant be besmirched

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Citation needed. Dourif shant be besmirched

My citation is we're best'est friends and he told me! He said, and I quote:

"I only wanted to ever play good, kind, friendly people my children can look up to. like just the chillest friendliest people ever."

Then we went to the local county fair and got some fairy floss and went on the merry go wheel! What a fun day that was!!!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

dr_rat posted:

"I only wanted to ever play good, kind, friendly people my children can look up to. like just the chillest friendliest people ever."

Then we went to the local county fair and got some fairy floss and went on the merry go wheel! What a fun day that was!!!

It was…the only day.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

:lol: I hear Robert Picardo when I read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

dr_rat posted:

I read this in Dr. Zoidberg's voice