Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just saw the ep where Tom, having previously been demoted from lieutenant back down to ensign, gets promoted back to lieutenant.

And Harry stays at Ensign.

Bear in mind, at the start of the series, technically Tom was still a convicted with, idk, the equivalent of an "honorary" rank?

"I didn't notice a little box on MY chair..."

*Awkward silence*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"I didn't notice a little box on MY chair..."

*Awkward silence*

Stop complaining, or I'll send you and Naomi Wildmann back to your original dimension!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

redshirt posted:

*Harry sitting in the big chair during 3rd shift, again.....

In his seventh year of being an Ensign, when he should probably be a Lieutenant-Commander and Second Officer by then if he's running third-shift command.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Advancement seems pretty drat slow in Starfleet if Picard commanding Stargazer for 22 years is any indication.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Advancement seems pretty drat slow in Starfleet if Picard commanding Stargazer for 22 years is any indication.

Didn't slow down Tom Paris, apparently...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirk became a full Captain relatively quickly. Kim was still an Ensign after 7 years, whereas Kirk went from Ensign to Captain in about 12.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They're also stranded with no replacement officers, and given they were down a good chunk of senior staff to begin with you'd think they'd be fast-tracking an Ensign with some talent and career ambitions would be a high priority.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's clearly 90's racism

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're also stranded with no replacement officers, and given they were down a good chunk of senior staff to begin with you'd think they'd be fast-tracking an Ensign with some talent and career ambitions would be a high priority.

Why bother? Nobody's transferring off the ship, no positions are gonna open up. If they had started recruiting and gotten more people to do the tasks at the bottom of the command structure it'd make sense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Why bother? Nobody's transferring off the ship, no positions are gonna open up. If they had started recruiting and gotten more people to do the tasks at the bottom of the command structure it'd make sense.

Positions will open up, via triage. Folks die, and other folks need to step up.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Yeah, but he's an ensign manning a station on the main shift that easily could be manned by a Lieutenant or Lieutenant (jg). They should have promoted him just to give him seniority over the people on the other shifts.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
harry will always be janeways special little boy

...always :evilbuddy:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Positions will open up, via triage. Folks die, and other folks need to step up.

Yeah but those were extras. You gotta kill at least a series regular to promote someone.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah but those were extras. You gotta kill at least a series regular to promote someone.

Didn't seem to slow down Tom

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It does make me laugh that Voyager spends the 7 years with a grand total of three medical personnel, one of whom leaves the ship about halfway through the journey

At no point does Janeway think to reassign anyone to medical

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does make me laugh that Voyager spends the 7 years with a grand total of three medical personnel, one of whom leaves the ship about halfway through the journey

At no point does Janeway think to reassign anyone to medical

I recall Paris having medical training; am I wrong?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

redshirt posted:

I recall Paris having medical training; am I wrong?

He's included in the three: Kess, Tom, and the Doctor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

He's included in the three: Kess, Tom, and the Doctor.
Correct

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are a few times that it looks like Voyager is not going to have The Doctor, and it's ridiculous that all they have is Paris, who has very basic training but wouldn't be able to do surgery or anything complicated.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sorry for the integrity of the EMH, but can't they always call up a new EMH if it came to that?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it's in 'Message in a Bottle', where they try to make a new Doctor from scratch and it's a disaster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a few times that it looks like Voyager is not going to have The Doctor, and it's ridiculous that all they have is Paris, who has very basic training but wouldn't be able to do surgery or anything complicated.

It's easy. Point blue beam. Point red beam. Computer synthesize antivirus based on generic markers. Point Green beam. Hypospray of cordrazone point yellow beam, your spine is cured.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You point the tricorder at someone, and push a few buttons. How hard can it be? Do what the tricorder tells you to do.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Worst case scenario you inject them with 25 CC's of Borg nanoprobes and stand 'em on an alcove for a bit.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk became a full Captain relatively quickly. Kim was still an Ensign after 7 years, whereas Kirk went from Ensign to Captain in about 12.

Hell in the JJ Trek movie it was more like 12 hours. I guess I can kind of understand a cadet taking command in some kind of emergency situation, but that was probably the dumbest thing about those movies. At the end he's apparently a full captain. That's a hell of a promotion. Lol "it was destiny"

Although, I guess Wrath of Khan kind of sets the premise in that Lt. Saavik is training to be the next captain of the Enterprise. I forget if that's ever explicitly stated. And then it's also implied all those cadets will crew the Enterprise. I dunno, though, for all we know Saavik had served as an Ensign and went back to command school or something and she wasn't going to instantly become a captain after "passing" the Kobayashi Maru test.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 19, 2024

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
How many of voyager’s crew died over the course of the journey?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hell in the JJ Trek movie it was more like 12 hours. I guess I can kind of understand a cadet taking command in some kind of emergency situation, but that was probably the dumbest thing about those movies. At the end he's apparently a full captain. That's a hell of a promotion. Lol "it was destiny"

I think it was more Old Man Spock telling Starfleet to do it for the fate of the galaxy.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

110% if we count the silver blood.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I think it was more Old Man Spock telling Starfleet to do it for the fate of the galaxy.

Always listen to randos who just randomly show up from out of time and start making weird demands.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The hand wavey reason is that they lost all those ships and officers rescuing Vulcan. It's kind of nebulous what the scale of Starfleet is during various times, aside from Enterprise when we know there's only like two warp 5 ships. There's all those times when the Enterprise is the only ship near Earth. It's not really until TNG when we get a sense of scale with Wolf 359 being like 50 ships and the Admiral saying it will take a year to build the fleet back up, and then of course by DS9 we see they have fleets of hundreds of ships that just get wiped out every time they fight the Dominion.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
On Picard season 3 when the fleet is supposedly gathered in it’s entirety at earth there are about 350 ships

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Although, I guess Wrath of Khan kind of sets the premise in that Lt. Saavik is training to be the next captain of the Enterprise. I forget if that's ever explicitly stated. And then it's also implied all those cadets will crew the Enterprise. I dunno, though, for all we know Saavik had served as an Ensign and went back to command school or something and she wasn't going to instantly become a captain after "passing" the Kobayashi Maru test.

In Star Trek Starfleet has 3 main career paths, Command, Operations, and Science, each split into sub-specialties. Saavik was just the best rated cadet on the Command path, so she got to be the Captain (well actually the first officer, but they were letting her do as much captain stuff as they could).

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 19, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The hand wavey reason is that they lost all those ships and officers rescuing Vulcan. It's kind of nebulous what the scale of Starfleet is during various times, aside from Enterprise when we know there's only like two warp 5 ships. There's all those times when the Enterprise is the only ship near Earth. It's not really until TNG when we get a sense of scale with Wolf 359 being like 50 ships and the Admiral saying it will take a year to build the fleet back up, and then of course by DS9 we see they have fleets of hundreds of ships that just get wiped out every time they fight the Dominion.

Seems like they could spam warships anytime they wanted to, they just never chose to since they weren't at war, or at least a "hot" war.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

On Picard season 3 when the fleet is supposedly gathered in it’s entirety at earth there are about 350 ships

Which would presumably be less than during DS9 when they were losing 100 ships every battle.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think the count is 15, if you track by explicit depictions and mentions. But that doesn’t count the pilot ep.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redshirt posted:

Seems like they could spam warships anytime they wanted to, they just never chose to since they weren't at war, or at least a "hot" war.

Yes, but can they spam crews? I think that was actually a plot point in DS9. Sisko says something like the real problem isn't how many ships they lost, but all the personnel.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

In Star Trek Starfleet has 3 main career paths, Command, Operations, and Science, each split into sub-specialties. Saavik was just the best rated cadet on the Command path, so she got to be the Captain (well actually the first officer, but they were letting her do as much captain stuff as they could).

She was a Lt., though, so either she got promoted from Cadet to Ensign to Lt. JG to Lt. while still in school, or she served for a while and went back to school for the captain "learn to accept loss" mind game training.

Or maybe ranks work differently then despite them seemingly being based directly on 20th century naval ranks. Who knows.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yes, but can they spam crews? I think that was actually a plot point in DS9. Sisko says something like the real problem isn't how many ships they lost, but all the personnel.

There's billions and billions (trillions?) of Federation citizens. If they wanted to go to an actual war footing, crews would not be an issue.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

She was a Lt., though, so either she got promoted from Cadet to Ensign to Lt. JG to Lt. while still in school, or she served for a while and went back to school for the captain "learn to accept loss" mind game training.

Or maybe ranks work differently then despite them seemingly being based directly on 20th century naval ranks. Who knows.

She's a cadet in Wrath of Khan and I assume her rank is temporary, but yeah, she's an actual Lieutenant a few days later on the Grissom in Star Trek 3, which makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redshirt posted:

There's billions and billions (trillions?) of Federation citizens. If they wanted to go to an actual war footing, crews would not be an issue.

When you think about it the Dominion was really at the disadvantage when it came to personnel. Could they really out-clone hundreds of planets reproducing naturally?