Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Serperoth posted:

Anyone know any tools that can be an interlinked knowledge base btw? My big familiarity has been with Apple's stuff, but I could do something with Notion too, as a wiki, or MS Loop since that seems similar? Current plan has mentioned SharePoint which I'm not familiar with

If it was my choice I'd do notion or use the kb features in freshservice, but notion team stuff costs money, and the latter option only works if you're already a freshservice customer

confluence is popular, but will also cost money

I wouldn't touch loop with a 10-ft pole

you're probably stuck with sharepoint, may god have mercy on your soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

[irrelevant nonsense was once here]

digitalist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Fool posted:

If it was my choice I'd do notion or use the kb features in freshservice, but notion team stuff costs money, and the latter option only works if you're already a freshservice customer

confluence is popular, but will also cost money

I wouldn't touch loop with a 10-ft pole

Notion free doesn't have a limitation if people aren't members, you can do guests, and yeah I don't think we use Freshservice, although what we do use does have a knowledge base (but I think procedures come from higher up).

My only experience with Loop is trying it on the work account and being unable to change the language, create any pages or workspaces, so yeah, not great so far.

Ill put together a little demo in Notion for this to start with, as a proof of concept, although introducing an external tool might have some learning curve. At least not everyone needs full access

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, employers don't want universal healthcare even if it reduces their costs because it would remove a huge barrier that keeps people turning up to poo poo jobs

Yeah, workplace healthcare is why a ton of people stay at absolutely poo poo jobs, or has a spouse working a minimum wage job just to keep health insurance coverage. Love to live in a country where a medical emergency could leave you in financial ruin.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My gf works non profit and has great coverage but poo poo pay and she stays due to the coverage. Neither of us believe in marriage but might so I can get on her healthcare.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Fool posted:

FreshService can be great based on the effort that goes into it. Definitely a whole lot better than SharePoint.

SharePoint can work but, uh, if you get stuck with managing SharePoint as a result… rest in piss.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FreshService looks perfect, but I don't think replacing our entire ticket/request system would be in the books right now.

I put together a little proof of concept on Notion, got a few templates ready too. My main thing is that we should be following procedures and being more formal about it, and it seems that the guy agrees with me on that. Surely there's a balance between doing things right and doing things "fun" right? Like, remoting in rather than asking for user passwords etc

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My boss is out of the office for most of today taking a $300 bullshit consultant class on holding other people accountable and this might be the funniest meeting I've ever seen scheduled. The problem isn't holding us accountable, it's her complete incompetence at technology and management.

Turns out when you chokehold an entire department to do anything it doesn't work so good!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want to be paid to take a class on how to point fingers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What class that costs $300 is worth attending, your boss just wants a day out the office

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I just started a new job, I'm a week and a half in and I feel like I got out of a bad situation at my old job for cultural issues, and jumped feet first into one that is bad for operational reasons (and maybe also cultural reasons).

In theory, I am a network Admin in a department of three people (supporting about 120 endpoints) with a director above me and a helpdesk guy under me. However apparently a week before I started they fired the helpdesk guy so I'm covering that function for the next however long it's going to be. There is no process documentation or even notes on tickets so we have to go through and try and figure out everything the old guy was working on. This helpdesk guy was apparently also given carte blanche in systems he obviously had no right being in, because every other admin login I get I look and find things fundamentally misconfigured in extremely obvious "it doesn't work like that" ways.

To boot, all the while I'm trying to wrestle with my boss on requests for even things like basic tools to be able to do my job. Like he's questioning me on why I would want to use RDP management tools like mRemoteNG or Keepass as a password manager. He has an atrophied idea of what operational security looks like in the year of our lord 2024 and flatly hard bans all password managers no matter what and instead opts to write all impractical passwords on paper in his desk. It's maddening and makes me want to pull my hair out.

I'm kicking myself in the rear end too because almost didn't take the job, having a bad gut check that I blew off as new job jitters. I feel stuck now because I no longer have my PTO time I was using at the old job to interview with, and I don't really have a safe fallback while I job hunt anymore.

I guess I'll see how the next couple of weeks go. In the meantime, I think I need to just put my nose to the grindstone and get / re-up my certifications. Refresh my CCNP Networking / Phones, and get on CBTNuggets and get myself going on SSCP and maybe see about getting CISSP associate.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 8, 2024

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DeathSandwich posted:

So I just started a new job, I'm a week and a half in and I feel like I got out of a bad situation at my old job for cultural issues, and jumped feet first into one that is bad for operational reasons (and maybe also cultural reasons).

In theory, I am a network Admin in a department of three people (supporting about 120 endpoints) with a director above me and a helpdesk guy under me. However apparently a week before I started they fired the helpdesk guy so I'm covering that function for the next however long it's going to be. There is no process documentation or even notes on tickets so we have to go through and try and figure out everything the old guy was working on. This helpdesk guy was apparently also given carte blanche in systems he obviously had no right being in, because every other admin login I get I look and find things fundamentally misconfigured in extremely obvious "it doesn't work like that" ways.

To boot, all the while I'm trying to wrestle with my boss on requests for even things like basic tools to be able to do my job. Like he's questioning me on why I would want to use RDP management tools like mRemoteNG or Keepass as a password manager. He has an atrophied idea of what operational security looks like in the year of our lord 2024 and flatly hard bans all password managers no matter what and instead opts to write all impractical passwords on paper in his desk. It's maddening and makes me want to pull my hair out.

I'm kicking myself in the rear end too because almost didn't take the job, having a bad gut check that I blew off as new job jitters. I feel stuck now because I no longer have my PTO time I was using at the old job to interview with, and I don't really have a safe fallback while I job hunt anymore.

I guess I'll see how the next couple of weeks go. In the meantime, I think I need to just put my nose to the grindstone and get / re-up my certifications. Refresh my CCNP Networking / Phones, and get on CBTNuggets and get myself going on SSCP and maybe see about getting CISSP associate.

Keep spraying out your resume, you may not have PTO but cutting out for an hour for an "appointment" is always a thing to do; take a late "lunch" at 1pm instead of 12 since no one else is going to take an interview call over lunch. I took voice/video interviews from my car a lot like 10 years ago, I assume it's even more acceptable now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You have the right instincts though as far as bouncing back out are concerned. Otherwise you won’t touch technologies newer than 2004.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

MF_James posted:

Keep spraying out your resume, you may not have PTO but cutting out for an hour for an "appointment" is always a thing to do; take a late "lunch" at 1pm instead of 12 since no one else is going to take an interview call over lunch. I took voice/video interviews from my car a lot like 10 years ago, I assume it's even more acceptable now.

This. Also loling that every horror story people have of bad practices at new jobs recently I've been able to say "same."

Anyway my boss still has the IE icon pinned to her taskbar which I found very funny.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There are dozens of us. DOZENS OF US!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How old is the Windows install you're running that lets you have IE installed still?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

How old is the Windows install you're running that lets you have IE installed still?

Its however old her laptop is, plus any changes she did herself. Because we don't do imaging, and she's refused to connect it to Intune/Entra "because she doesn't have time." I just saw it in her screen share earlier.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I mean I logged into some 2019 servers that had IE on the taskbar. Servers that were in place upgraded from 2012.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Thanks Ants posted:

Win10 1809 LTSB for us. *cries*
We're almost done moving away from the damned thing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LTSB/LTSC was a crime against humanity.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I'm on an all-too-rare vacation this week to see the end of the world (mostly cloudy, but was still pretty awesome), so my poor junior admin had to take the meeting about filesharing at a client that's essentially moving from one Google tenant to a new one due to a rename/reorg. In the old tenant they were doing the usual loving bullshit with everyone sharing files from their individual drives - there was not one Google shared drive in existence. So we said hey look, there's a bunch of issues with people just sharing files from individual drives, most commonly about <MostImportantFileEveryoneUses> being owned by <ImportantUser> because <ImportantUser> just loving left, we removed his/her drive, and now everyone's screaming they can't access said critical file. Shared drives are commonly used, you just need to set up the drives properly with the permissions necessary and you avoid all the issues you've been running into (a LOT).

So we got shared drives created and went through the permissions setup, and we thought everything was good.

Welp, that was a week ago, and now they have told us the shared drives model doesn't work for them (how exactly I don't know and to be frank, it is better for my mental health at this point if I just don't ask). So they want us to create essentially a bunch of folders mirroring the shared drives under our generic IT user, and share those folders out. Essentially, recreate the shared drives under a user but since it's the IT user it will avoid the "user departed" issue. :psypop:

This is something that 10 years ago I would have strongly pushed back against, said "OK what are the actual problems you are experiencing with the shared drives, perhaps we can work something out to fix those or change your processes", etc. etc. The me of today is like "they're OK with the folders we're sharing out being shared to groups, so we're still managing permissions via groups? OK THEN, HERE YOU loving GO, SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT AND STOP BOTHERING ME".

To be fair, this is also because the main guy driving this at the client (the CTO) is convinced he knows everything and basically won't listen to either us or his own team saying "this is dumb and stupid", so it is absolutely 100% not worth my time anymore to fight with this idiot, and as long as we aren't inconvenienced by doing more sharing of folders or sharing to individual users, I just don't give a poo poo.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Whenever I see my boss doing something stupid I've learn to just think the mantra "you're still getting paid for it" and in a sense I'm glad this was my foot in the door so I wouldn't burn myself out somewhere actually good

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

Whenever I see my boss doing something stupid I've learn to just think the mantra "you're still getting paid for it" and in a sense I'm glad this was my foot in the door so I wouldn't burn myself out somewhere actually good

:hmmyes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
LTSC is nice, because the absolute last thing I give even an iota of a poo poo about is Windows. It needs to run labview or some instrument package and otherwise shut the hell up and gently caress off forever.

It's incredible how much time and energy microsoft demands just to janitor its shite garbage OS. I don't care about your dumb OS, all I care about is that instrument data makes it to stable storage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you don't care about the dumb OS, just let it apply updates. Simple!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
When I worked for the army we’d occasionally stumble across computers that hadn’t been getting windows updates so we’d have to do them manually. Some of them needed updates from 4-5 years ago. It was a great way to pad our ticket numbers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

back when I did msp work, not a small number of jobs were updating computers at locations with satellite or otherwise very limited internet

loved to charge 100/hour to sit around and wait for my offline updates disks to run

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

If you don't care about the dumb OS, just let it apply updates. Simple!

I'll get lynched if an update interrupts an expensive experiment.

Windows should just stop sucking.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

There are at least four methods to enforce service windows to avoid stopping work and three of them require builds newer than the latest ltsc . I think we are at the point where certain software will not run correctly on ltsc due to the build being too old.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My experience in this area is limited to things like CNC production, but why is a Windows PC tethered to some sort of :science: device a critical part that has to respond in real-time, rather than the way of pulling results off and loading data onto an embedded controller running an RTOS?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

My experience in this area is limited to things like CNC production, but why is a Windows PC tethered to some sort of :science: device a critical part that has to respond in real-time, rather than the way of pulling results off and loading data onto an embedded controller running an RTOS?

A pc running windows and the control software is far cheaper to program for than a custom embedded controller. Also you can close half of the SR blaming the control computer since it's unlikely to be managed in a way than it won't gently caress itself up(aka lack of updates or weird power shell scripts to "light up the system load" being run).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Science is chock full of garbage-tier labview programs and manufacturers who got into their job without a programming background. Lots of it requires Windows. So you have instruments like plasma chambers where the pumps are controlled from windows, or some self-made labview stuff collecting measurements for long-running experiments.

Windows is a spectacular misfit in that space, but it's there, and it's annoying. I want absolutely nothing from Windows except run the one required software and gently caress off, but Windows especially after 8 just can't gently caress off.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Congratulations, there's lots of ways to manage when updates get applied that don't use LTSC/LTSB!

But Windblows, am I rite? Freaking Micro$oft!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Unironically, yes.

I'm so tired of fighting the constant breakage of previously-working GPOs or Windows Update breaking because it couldn't get around the WSUS server, or breaking because CSC didn't get disabled properly, or breaking because actually, the Windows Store can't talk to the outside in a lab environment.

I'm barely doing any Windows anymore, it's great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

On a more serious note, yeah, "PCs that are hooked up to specialized lab equipment" and are only used for that one specific purpose is a perfectly valid reason to use LTSC/LTSB. But how many computers are we talking about here and what portion of your fleet? Anything not hooked up to a mass spectrometer or whatever and just used for normal end-user stuff shouldn't be on LTSC/LTSB.

And just lol at going on a tirade about how much Windows sucks to manage because "argh updates are hard!" in an IT thread. Exactly the response of everyone who insisted on putting their entire Windows client fleet on LTSC/LTSB and absolutely loving themselves.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have had far FAR more issues with MacOS issues in the tech support environment than Windows. My only major gripe with Windows is that sometimes Windows Updates fucks with Bitlocker, but that's like a 2 minute fix once you look up the recovery key.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In general (Windows 11 might be moving away from this) when Windows breaks stuff it's because someone did a bad job of testing it, when macOS breaks compatibility it's because gently caress you do it the new way.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

In general (Windows 11 might be moving away from this) when Windows breaks stuff it's because someone did a bad job of testing it, when macOS breaks compatibility it's because gently caress you do it the new way.

Examples, off the top of my head:
-removing target display mode from iMacs
-removing 32-bit support from macOS (oh the calls we took about Office 2011 not working...)
-Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data split
-removing the some recovery options with M1
-all the different ways to reset a forgotten password, including one where it doesn't work if you don't guess the time isn't set correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

We still have win7 machines in our fleet so we can use tls1.0