Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SCheeseman posted:

The AYA Neo can go higher than 30w total TDP and has a smaller form factor. Thermals aren't likely to be a problem.

Thermals can definitely be a problem when they don't design properly for it, regardless of form factor size.

Edit: And if goons are afraid of fatigue from holding the Steam Deck up, then I guess it's time to bust the Shake Weights back out.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I used to assume that increasing TDP just indicated that chipmakers were running out of options beyond brute-forcing performance improvements.
But Apple has shown that's not a given with their CPUs so maybe there's room for someone to innovate in the GPU space.

RT seems to be the big performance sink for graphics currently and I can't say I find it a compelling use given the amount of literal and metaphorical energy required for it.

I think Nvidia largely didn't have much choice this time around, since they (possibly with some datacenter product exceptions?) were stuck on a Samsung process not ideal for the making of high-end GPUs. Had they been allowed onto TSMC's 7nm process, things would likely have looked a bit better.

Zil posted:

Now I have to have a time card to game now?

It's for more consistent frametimes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

imo you get fatigued propping up your arms which are on an average human like 5kg. this is a problem with doing literally anything with a portable device you have to keep your hands up to use, using your super light phone for 2h will cause the same issue

This is a problem called “gorilla arm” for empty-handed VR/AR interfaces, even.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Thermals can definitely be a problem when they don't design properly for it, regardless of form factor size.

Yes but I'm assuming Valve may equal or better the product that was initially announced in Lego form.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bofast posted:

I think Nvidia largely didn't have much choice this time around, since they (possibly with some datacenter product exceptions?) were stuck on a Samsung process not ideal for the making of high-end GPUs. Had they been allowed onto TSMC's 7nm process, things would likely have looked a bit better.

It's for more consistent frametimes

There was certainly a silver lining in that having basically a process to themselves meant they didn't have to deal with AMD's situation with the consoles and their CPUs competing for wafers, though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
youtube coverage of the intel nuc over the last few days and what a bizarre product, like am i not getting something? i genuinely don't think i understand like the intended market for this product? like why is it...good to make a computer on the pci slot. why is that a desirable thing? what problem is it solving? you're trading any upgradability or customization for your most important component for what? it's not cost or anything electricity related with a dGPU.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s for the SFF crew, nothing makes sense in that world.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I could see them making sense for a gaming cafe.

Standardizing all of your hardware.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i wonder why more SFF builders don't try to separate the gpu from the rest of the build. I'm not talking about eGPU but a physically separated videocard connected via PCIe so you don't lose performance.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

A lot of SFF cases use riser cables for a more efficient component layout. Not quite sure what you mean by 'separate from the rest of the build' but having a separate case for the GPU kind of defeats the point of SFF

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I remember when External PCIe cables were just getting teased/theorized and the x16 ones were going to look like this:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

i wonder why more SFF builders don't try to separate the gpu from the rest of the build. I'm not talking about eGPU but a physically separated videocard connected via PCIe so you don't lose performance.

They do now. The "sandwich" layout popular in modern SFF cases places the motherboard and GPU into separate chambers using PCIe extension cables so each can have their own airflow channels. This makes for some fairly space-optimized cases, like the 9.5-liter FormD T1, or the 6-liter Velka 7, the latter of which is actually smaller than the new NUC. When built smartly, these do not lose any performance at all, despite how small that second one is.

Traditional single-chamber mITX layouts can be good too, especially if you have a couple bottom-mounted fans blowing directly into the GPU, though they're usually around 14 or 15 liters.

Optimum Tech is a great channel to follow for SFF builds. He's a very chill dude who builds some impressive things. I don't do SFF, but it's an interesting look into that world.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 8, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah my computer is in a Dan-A4 which is a sandwich type case. The GPU side of the case is pretty separate from the motherboard / CPU side and thermals are pretty good.

It benefits a lot from custom cables and being tidy inside to get good airflow. It also can only take a 2.2 slot graphics card as they just weren't as big when it was designed as they are now.

https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4_de.php

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Intel NUC compute unit modules they’re touting can be run independently or slotted into other SFF cases, the Beast Canyon is just Intel’s reference model for implementation. It’s also like $3,000 if you buy a GPU model so not really for mainstream consumption. Also that hinged top is basically a cable guillotine

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
What is SFF? Small Form Factor?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, basically I think it covers anything below ATX class stuff but most usually refers to builds using mini ITX motherboards. There's an entire thread about them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really like vertical slim console cases where the GPU is above the cpu/mb via riser cable. Small desk footprint.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Self-xpost

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that looks pretty cool, what're the temps like when you're gaming

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

shrike82 posted:

that looks pretty cool, what're the temps like when you're gaming

This is pretty normal, I don't really see it get higher than 72ish C. Likely not the most demanding game though.

Oh that pic of the build was with a 1070ti and I have a 3070 in there now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Greenplastic posted:

What is SFF? Small Form Factor?

yeah. the NUC line kind of started as an ultra low profile as i understand it, a whole computer on a PCI card. except they've trended upwards in size while ITX SFF cases have trended downwards. which makes this statement true in a bunch of cases:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They do now. The "sandwich" layout popular in modern SFF cases places the motherboard and GPU into separate chambers using PCIe extension cables so each can have their own airflow channels. This makes for some fairly space-optimized cases, like the 9.5-liter FormD T1, or the 6-liter Velka 7, the latter of which is actually smaller than the new NUC. When built smartly, these do not lose any performance at all, despite how small that second one is.

ITX and mini ITX are roughly as small or smaller, allow you to put whatever chip is compatible and whatever cooler will fit rather than relying on a daughterboard to slot your PCIE computer into, are cheaper and can easily perform better - having a little plastic shroud and teenie weenie fan is not a great thermal decision. i think it's generally considered much more of a pain to put together and ensure total compatibility tho.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Going from a 1060 to a 3070, what are the best games to see the difference (other than "everything released in the last five years")? Control, Death Stranding, Minecraft? I have gamepass, don't own RDR2 or Cyberpunk

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Going from a 1060 to a 3070, what are the best games to see the difference (other than "everything released in the last five years")? Control, Death Stranding, Minecraft? I have gamepass, don't own RDR2 or Cyberpunk

Flight Simulator? I mean, parts of it will always be ugly if you know where to look, but man is it jaw-dropping in the right conditions.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Party Boat posted:

control is good to show off the RTX features, dlss lets you really crank them. didn't much care for it as a game. anything significantly GPU bound - doom eternal with ray tracing, witcher 3, plenty to gently caress around with.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i would reconsider the 'not owning rdr2' unless the setting doesnt intrigue you

it is a pretty nice looking game

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's such a shame, RDR1 was one of my favourite games of that generation but the excessive simulationist design ethos totally put me off. it's very hard to appeal to me less than "we've made it just like real life!"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The Ascent looks pretty great, not sure how much of that is graphical oomph versus artstyle though.

Supports DLSS though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Flight Simulator? I mean, parts of it will always be ugly if you know where to look, but man is it jaw-dropping in the right conditions.

I actually downloaded that the other day, might see how bad it makes my card cry in VR. Definitely looking forward to trying Half Life Alyx on better than minimum settings as well

I'll probably pick up RDR2 at some point, I enjoyed the previous game way back on the 360. But between Epic freebies and gamepass I've not felt the need to buy a game in a bit

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I actually downloaded that the other day, might see how bad it makes my card cry in VR. Definitely looking forward to trying Half Life Alyx on better than minimum settings as well

I'll probably pick up RDR2 at some point, I enjoyed the previous game way back on the 360. But between Epic freebies and gamepass I've not felt the need to buy a game in a bit

My 5700 XT can handle it at 45fps (reprojected to 90Hz) on medium to low settings with a Reverb G2. The 3070 should do a fair bit better, I'd reckon. It's awesome in VR no matter what settings you use, though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Some day i will own a VR headset to try Star Wars Squadrons / Elite Dangerous in VR.I imagine the sense of speed in the star wars one is amazing, and the grandeur of elite is something to see even on a monitor

I actually own a 1060 and use it and a 1650 occasionally for gaming. Of my own library I'd probably try Ghost Recon, maybe division 2 as well? Maxing out COD would be cool too i suppose

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 8, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I got a Reverb G2 a few months ago and with HOTAS in Elite VR is absolutely incredible, and this is coming from someone who thought VR was mostly a gimmick a while back.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn was one game where I frequently just stopped to admire how good everything looks, they did really good on the visuals.

Otherwise control and cyberpunk are safe picks there

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn was one game where I frequently just stopped to admire how good everything looks, they did really good on the visuals.

Otherwise control and cyberpunk are safe picks there
Seconding HZD, it might not have RT effects but it looks drat impressive regardless. gently caress ted faro

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

that's a fairly odd argument -the heavier the portable is, the faster you're going to feel fatigue

and you're typically not moving your fingers around on your phone the same way you're going to be with a gaming handheld

obviously heavier is worse, but in my experience, handheld weight has very little impact on how long i can play with it, and comfort is much more important. i couldn't use vita for more than an hour or two at a time until i bought the power grip that adds controller-like grips to it. now i can use it for hours at a time no problem, as long as i have something to rest my elbows on so i don't have to keep my whole arms propped up. same with phone, which is even ligher, can use it forever as long as i'm not holding my entire arms up in addition to the phone.

anyway, i don't expect some kind of magic out of the steam deck, but i'll probably get one once it's on a steam sale for playing old games on the go

Subjunctive posted:

This is a problem called “gorilla arm” for empty-handed VR/AR interfaces, even.

i knew i heard about this before but forgot where, thanks

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

There was certainly a silver lining in that having basically a process to themselves meant they didn't have to deal with AMD's situation with the consoles and their CPUs competing for wafers, though.

Yeah, this is almost certainly true.
Of course, if Samsung had been able to get their own 7 nm process up and running on time it would have been better, but I suppose we're at the point where Intel isn't the only one struggling to forge ahead on the manufacturing side.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cyberpunk was the first game i played on my new PC and that was a massive difference over my old card. Plus it ran very smooth too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
When you can run it well, and don't run into any problems, it is actually quite a good game. It's a shame it came out the way it did.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i tried replaying it recently and got bored after the intro setup

ymmv but the game underscores to me how much CDProjekt's Witcher games were carried by the fiction/worldbuilding of the book series author

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

When you can run it well, and don't run into any problems, it is actually quite a good game. It's a shame it came out the way it did.

the actual plot was a bit underwhelming but exploring the world was pretty fun and the RT effects definitely looked awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It runs just fine on my PC but the world feels super empty and the enemies don't scale. Also I thought the main storyline was the most interesting part and then CDProjekt made it super short on purpose after finding out most people didn't finish the Witcher 3. I got to chapter 3, got excited poo poo was going to kick into high gear, then found out I was an hour from the ending.

The raytracing stuff looks amazing though, it's a beautiful game.