Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Xenomrph posted:

I bought a copy of 'Aliens: Special Edition' on laserdisc from a secondhand store for $1

I don't have a laserdisc player.

Hell I would too. I remember seeing that in a rental store when I was a kid. They had some great cast photos in it I'd never seen anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Sleepaway Camp details.

quote:

On May 27, 2014, Scream Factory invites loyal fans and horror enthusiasts to relive the thrills and suspense of this all-time 80s cult slasher classic when Sleepaway Camp Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, packed with insightful bonus content and all-new interviews, arrives on home entertainment shelves in the U.S and Canada. This definitive collector’s edition also contains a collectible cover, featuring newly rendered retro-style artwork, a reversible cover wrap with original theatrical key art.

***Avid fans and collectors please take note: those who order Sleepaway Camp Collector’s Edition Blu-ray from ScreamfactoryDVD.com will receive the exclusive 18”x24” poster featuring the newly commissioned artwork! These are only available while supplies last.***

BONUS FEATURES:
New 2K scan of the original camera negative
New Commentary with actors Felissa Rose (“Angela”) and Jonathan Tiersten (“Ricky”)
New Commentary with writer/director Robert Hiltzik, moderated by SleepawayCampMovies.com webmaster Jeff Hayes
Original Audio Commentary with writer/director Robert Hiltzik and star Felissa Rose
At the Waterfront After the Social: The Legacy of Sleepaway Camp – new interviews with Robert Hiltzik, Felissa Rose, Jonathan Tiersten, Paul DeAngelo (“Ronnie”), Karen Fields (“Judy”), Desiree Gould (“Aunt Martha”), Frank Saladino (“Gene”) and make-up FX artist Ed French.
Judy – a short film by Jeff Hayes starring Karen Fields
Princess – A Music Video by Jonathan Tiersten
Camp Arawak Scrapbook – still gallery
Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots

I remember seeing an old HD transfer of it and it looked good. This one should be even better. And I'm loving how Scream Factory invests in new commentaries for their releases.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sleepaway Camp details.

I remember seeing an old HD transfer of it and it looked good. This one should be even better. And I'm loving how Scream Factory invests in new commentaries for their releases.

They should have included a commentary by the How did this get made crew.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sleepaway Camp details.

I genuinely love that they're giving an A+ treatment to such a garbage film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I genuinely love that they're giving an A+ treatment to such a garbage film.

hosed up words.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

hosed up words.

Sleepaway Camp is not a good movie. Not even close.

Though it does have a scene where someone is murdered by having a hot curling iron stuck in their vagina, so there's that.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 13, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Sleepaway Camp is not a good movie. Not even close.

I will punch you in the goddamn ear, heathen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I will punch you in the goddamn ear, heathen.

I somehow doubt this is worth the international flight for you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I somehow doubt this is worth the international flight for you.

Tell that to Chopra "Blue Ear" Gill in Calcutta, India.

The Majestic owns, Chopra, you dick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Majestic owns, Chopra, you dick.

I don't like you anymore.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Does anyone know if the HD scan of Sleepaway Camp is different from the version that is on youtube?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

foodfight posted:

Does anyone know if the HD scan of Sleepaway Camp is different from the version that is on youtube?

quote:

New 2K scan of the original camera negative

So it should be much better than the current HDTV transfer.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GhostDog posted:

Unlikely to ever happen. When the Steelbook came out a few years ago they said remastering the TV version would be too expensive. There exists a DVD version, at least in german. I've seen it ages ago and imo the Director's Cut is superior. The TV version is just too long.

I own the Columbia Classics version, it has both German and English audio as well as English subs. It has rather nice packaging and a few extras like production notes and some photos. I think the 5-hour version does a better job of illustrating the utter drudgery of being in a cramped boat for months while absolutely nothing happens to break the monotony. It's been years since I've seen it, though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Sleepaway Camp is a cookie cutter piece of poo poo that just so happens to have the greatest ending of all time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I, Butthole posted:

What's the status of an uncut version of Das Boot on blu? I know the director's cut is floating around out there but as a barebones release - I've never seen the uncut teleseries-length version before and wouldn't mind to.
There's a 2-disc director's cut release with special features out the rear end, I own it.

I wish the Scanners cool edition wasn't locked to Region B, I'd get it in a heartbeat. :saddowns:

Having said that, it looks like there's a Criterion edition in the pipeline, so maybe that will have cool special features and poo poo.

Kingtheninja posted:

Hell I would too. I remember seeing that in a rental store when I was a kid. They had some great cast photos in it I'd never seen anywhere else.
I bought it partly because of the price, and partly because at the time there were a bunch of behind the scenes "archives" that were only on the 'Aliens' laserdisc and nowhere else (despite, you know, me not having a laserdisc player so it's not like I could access those archives. :downs: ), but they've actually since been reproduced on the Alien Anthology blu-ray set, which is pretty great.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Twilight Time anniversary sale.

quote:

Also on Wednesday, March 19th at 4 pm EST when the April pre-orders go live, we will have approximately 150 copies of THE FRONT signed by the lovely Miss Andrea Marcovicci, which will be available for the usual $100 or more of TT product - but this month your $100 will go a lot further if you wish to take advantage of the price-promotion gang of 36 - all of which are listed below. SAE suggests that for those of you wishing to take part in the promotion and also inclined to obtain a signed copy of THE FRONT, use the list below to pre-load your shopping cart so you’ll be able to proceed directly to the autographed copy icon.

Once again, this promotion is for 5 DAYS ONLY - so get ready to start your engines - (PLEASE NOTE: all titles in the promotion will be discounted by $10 - which means those that ordinarily retail for $29.95 will be $19.95, and those that are $34.95 will be $24.95.)

5 DAYS ONLY - $10 OFF THE REGULAR PRICE - HERE IS THE GANG OF 36!

The 36 titles on sale:

RAPTURE (1965)
PICNIC (1955)
ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
PAL JOEY (1957)
DEMETRIUS & THE GLADIATORS (1954)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
DESIREE (1954)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)
COVER GIRL (1944)
HIGH TIME (1960)
STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
OUR MAN FLINT (1966)
IN LIKE FLINT (1967)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943)
PHILADELPHIA (1993)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING (1955)
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
SEXY BEAST (2000)
ALAMO BAY (1985)
MINDWARP (1992)
THE OTHER (1972)
JANE EYRE (1944)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)
TITUS (1999)

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

leokitty posted:

Twilight Time anniversary sale.

The 36 titles on sale:

RAPTURE (1965)
PICNIC (1955)
ROOTS OF HEAVEN (1958)
SWAMP WATER (1941)
PAL JOEY (1957)
DEMETRIUS & THE GLADIATORS (1954)
BITE THE BULLET (1975)
DESIREE (1954)
THE WAYWARD BUS (1957)
COVER GIRL (1944)
HIGH TIME (1960)
STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989)
THE SOUND AND THE FURY (1959)
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR (1955)
BONJOUR TRISTESSE (1958)
BELOVED INFIDEL (1959)
LOST HORIZON (1973)
THE BLUE LAGOON (1980)
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962)
NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)
OUR MAN FLINT (1966)
IN LIKE FLINT (1967)
PONY SOLDIER (1952)
SONG OF BERNADETTE (1943)
PHILADELPHIA (1993)
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN (1970)
LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING (1955)
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE (1993)
THE DISAPPEARANCE (1977)
SEXY BEAST (2000)
ALAMO BAY (1985)
MINDWARP (1992)
THE OTHER (1972)
JANE EYRE (1944)
ROYAL FLASH (1975)
TITUS (1999)

What the gently caress, a lot of those have no business being limited to 3000 copies. Crazy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Five Cent Deposit posted:

What the gently caress, a lot of those have no business being limited to 3000 copies. Crazy.

Also, why the hell did they make a Mindwarp blu-ray?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Also a warning that the Titus Blu-Ray stinks.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does Twilight Time just exist to ruin everyone's day, or something?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Does Twilight Time just exist to ruin everyone's day, or something?

Pretty sure they do. I was broke for a while and couldn't get The Golden Voyage of Sinbad before they ran out of copies and now I hate them more than ever. :mad:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

What makes me mad is their releases aren't even that good, like hell if your gonna limit it to 3000 at least go all out with the release.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Also, why the hell did they make a Mindwarp blu-ray?

Trying to get money from the fringe Bruce Campbell fanatics crowd which probably numbers around 3000 people. All of whom shopped at my comic store!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My bluray player of questionable quality is having issues detecting discs. Anybody have any suggestions? Or am I better off replacing the drat thing?

And if so, any suggestions on a replacement?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Xenomrph posted:

And if so, any suggestions on a replacement?

PS3

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, the joke that never gets old!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I have some Sony basic wifi blu-ray player that seems to do the trick, it wasn't any more expensive than other wifi players and bluray being Sony's baby I thought it would be better for support in the long run. When I was researching players there were complaints of some other brands not getting needed firmware updates for more recent blu-ray features.

It's really disappointing that the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut Blu-ray has zero special features, I didn't even notice it until after I had watched it and saw there was no directors commentary or anything - I have the DVD of the Director's Cut and it has commentary and hours upon hours of special features. Maybe the licensing costs weren't worth the expected sales of the bluray whenever it was released :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, the joke that never gets old!

:colbert: It plays blu-rays, and you can use the controller as a remote. Well worth MSRP.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

^ Spotted this weekend ^

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tena Twister posted:

^ Spotted this weekend ^

I hope that there's a really unhappy motorist out there with "HDDVD#1" as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jack Gladney posted:

I hope that there's a really unhappy motorist out there with "HDDVD#1" as well.
That car's rusting over in a garage somewhere.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I actually saw a store selling HD-DVD's last week. They were going out of business; my guess is they found them in the back of the store and decided to see if anyone would actually pay money for it?

I decided to buy Hard Justice on DVD instead. 87 minutes of Charles Napier shooting people, or so the back of the movie tells me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red posted:

:colbert: It plays blu-rays, and you can use the controller as a remote. Well worth MSRP.
I've actually been leaning towards this thing as a region-free player, so I can get in on some of that sweet, sweet import blu-ray action.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Single releases of Vertigo, Rear Window, and The Birds coming on June 3rd. MSRP is $20, so they should street around $15.

Amazon also has Universal's 15-film set for $105.

Also, Warner is releasing the 1960 George Pal film of The Time Machine on July 8.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Warner is releasing the 1960 George Pal film of The Time Machine on July 8.

I'm just meant to be poor in wallet and rich in Blu-Rays.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some news on the massive Keystone/Mack Sennett project:
http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17219

There's two 50-film collections to mark the 100th anniversary of Keystone Comedies. The first volume will be released in June by Flicker Alley. The link above has a list of the contents. Among the shorts are classics with Charlie Chaplin, Fatty Arbuckle, Harry Langdon, Ford Sterling, Mack Swain, Billy Bevan, Ben Turpin, Mabel Normand, and others. The contents range from 1914 to 1933 (a few Sennett sound shorts including two W.C. Fields shorts). This has been a multi-year project with all films remastered in HD and reconstructed from sources. One highlight is a newly discovered film, A Thief Catcher, which was a previously unknown first appearance of Charlie Chaplin in a film.

Most of the Keystone films have never had a proper release in any video format, so it's a pretty big deal for so many to be collected in one set and in HD.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Where can I buy some replacement blu-ray cases for cheap?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Try googling, they're pretty common

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Try googling, they're pretty common

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping to get like 10 cases under 50 cents a case shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Red posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just hoping to get like 10 cases under 50 cents a case shipped.

If you somehow still have a video rental place near you, they might be able to hook you up with extras.

• Locked thread