Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Jones is Samuel's missing eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
While the art is gorgeous, I feel this chapter is dragging on a bit. Yes, we get it, Jones doesn't age. Now, get to the start of it all.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ymgve posted:

While the art is gorgeous, I feel this chapter is dragging on a bit. Yes, we get it, Jones doesn't age. Now, get to the start of it all.

Yeah I'm kind of feeling that every time period needing to be a new page is dragging this out a lot more than it needs to.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
It'll read fine as a finished chapter, it's just the 3 pages a week pacing that makes it feel long. I came in at Faraway morning which felt really draggy at the time since you have several pages devoted to each of the three stories, but it reads absolutely fine when you're not waiting 2-3 days between pages, which is how it's going to be viewed from now on.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I could have sworn there was a man with an eyepatch standing in the circle at the founding of the Court around the seed Bismuth.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I am quite content with extra Jones backstory and waiting a li'l bit longer for The Answers. Given that we're only 11 pages into this chapter, the amount of time covered and backstory implied is pretty impressive.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I could have sworn there was a man with an eyepatch standing in the circle at the founding of the Court around the seed Bismuth.

That was Sir Young, and the eyepatch was on a different eye. Plus, as someone else pointed out, it was probably way more than a century ago.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ymgve posted:

Watch Tea put in 2 weeks of MORT FUN TIME at the end of next chapter just because.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I bet this whole flashback sequence is going to end with Jones having not told Annie any of this. She'll just give her a complete non-answer like "I'm an instructor at the Court."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Fister Roboto posted:

I bet this whole flashback sequence is going to end with Jones having not told Annie any of this. She'll just give her a complete non-answer like "I'm an instructor at the Court."

I'm hoping that now that we're getting part of the story, we find out what Annie thinks Jones is. Annie's known more than us about Jones for like 2 years now.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Hah, I completely missed the significance of Jones calling the old guy "master Samuel" on Monday. Not that it's a surprise that she's been around longer than he has at this point, but that was a dead giveaway that she'd known him as a kid.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's pretty clear that this whole reveal was just an excuse for Tom to draw Jones in lots of different period garb.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of which, does anyone have the pictures he drew a couple years ago of Annie and Kat in fancy dresses? I seem to remember that he did them as a livestream thing, but I can't find them on his site. It kicked off a brief flurry of "Let's draw girls in pretty dresses!" in the old PHIZ webcomic thread.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zenzirouj posted:

It's pretty clear that this whole reveal was just an excuse for Tom to draw Jones in lots of different period garb.

And I'm more than happy for it. I love seeing all the different period and station dress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think that more and more I'm growing to understand the meaning of Jones being called the "Wandering Eye" by Coyote. She wanders the land, keeping an eye on people she deems as important for whatever cryptic reasons she has, watching and protecting them their entire lives. I don't think being granted anything by the person she watches over is really anything essential to her, so much as a somewhat pleasant occasional consequence of being a lifelong guardian.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ursine Asylum posted:

Given that it seems pretty apparently that Gunnerkrigg is a place where she doesn't have to swap identities constantly, I don't think this is at all what's going on there. I also kind of doubt it was what was going on before, but v:shobon:v

jesus christ where did this come from :psyduck:

Hard to say, especially because he's actually pretty busy healing from a pretty nasty gash to the hand from some glass! (And making good on his absurdly large number of Kickstarter incentives.)

KSAF Staff Report
Dec 5, 2011

#acolyte faggot Hall of Fame
Ask me about trying to get published by The Black Library in between the minutes of Traffic Court reporting. Also ask me about having a game survival rate worse than the Infant Mortality Rate of Afghanistan
Also, apparently Jones is sterile. She can't be involved in this many men and not have children if she were fertile.
It could be like how everyone of Annie's family dies when they have a daughter. Jones, for whatever reason, cannot have a family line.

Jones doesn't know anything about the founding of the court, so we know she at least wasn't there.

Fatkraken posted:

It'll read fine as a finished chapter, it's just the 3 pages a week pacing that makes it feel long. I came in at Faraway morning which felt really draggy at the time since you have several pages devoted to each of the three stories, but it reads absolutely fine when you're not waiting 2-3 days between pages, which is how it's going to be viewed from now on.

I agree with this reasoning, but I understand the feeling of it dragging too. My brother holds off on reading Gunnerkrigg until the week is done for this very reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

KSAF Staff Report posted:

Also, apparently Jones is sterile. She can't be involved in this many men and not have children if she were fertile.

You know there are people who manage to be friends with a member of the opposite sex without loving all the time?

edit: Also, we don't know that she doesn't have children. And "this many men" is "three." And a million other things wrong with your post.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 17, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

DontMockMySmock posted:

You know there are people who manage to be friends with a member of the opposite sex without loving all the time?

Biotruths, you see...

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

She feels more like family than a prospective lover to these men I feel. Especially as a governess, they were pretty much intended as an occupation to be surrogate mothers.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Fatkraken posted:

Yup.

Tom's kicking rear end at making each page a page, not just a self-contained strip.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I figure if you are hundreds of years old you learn a thing or two about contraception.

Besides, how do we know she doesn't have children?

Also I don't think she's loving any of them anyway...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Penguissimo posted:

That was Sir Young, and the eyepatch was on a different eye. Plus, as someone else pointed out, it was probably way more than a century ago.

Maybe not. Going by this page, the Court couldn't have been founded before 1645, since that's when the red uniform was adopted by the British Army. Since the current strip seems to be taking place sometime around the mid-late 18th century, at the current rate the flashback is going I wouldn't be surprised if there was a strip relating to the founding of the Court on Monday. (If Jones had anything to do with it) (She totally did)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dodgeball posted:

Rich Burlew is doing just fine sleeping on his big pile of cash to bother applying himself.

It isn't an issue of "not bothering to apply himself". He's in the hospital after getting his hand sliced open you loving dumbass.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fried Chicken posted:

It isn't an issue of "not bothering to apply himself". He's in the hospital after getting his hand sliced open you loving dumbass.

We're talking about the quality of his writing, not his current comic output you handsome devil.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Edit: Not going to continue the derail.

VVVV Yeah, the shirt is great. I love mine, but I have to get the new color scheme when I can afford it.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 18, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, unrelated to this inane slapfight about Rich Burlew, I got my bismuth symbol shirt in the mail the other day.

It looks awesome.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

VanSandman posted:

More like the walls of text rather than his art - which, although simplistic, is more than enough to tell a story.

I agree, again only speaking of his writing. It's just that each new page of OotS seems like a chore, where as each new page of Gunnerkrigg feels like a reward.

Back on topic, I'm getting a Tuck Everlasting vibe from Jones. It's nice to remember a book I read in 5th grade, so, kudos for that, I guess.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Even if her "real name" was Elizabeth, I rather like the idea of Jones being once known as the Wandering Eye of Sir Samuel.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, so the repeating pattern here is she meets a boy in his childhood, and seems to stay with them for their whole lives. And then she takes some aspect of their name when they die I guess.

Are you saying this is all leading up to

Jimmy Jones Jims

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Cyphoderus posted:

Are you saying this is all leading up to

Jimmy Jones Jims

"Just Jims will do."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Wandering Eye, you hound!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Hmm. So this puts us in the early 1600s. I wonder when the Court was founded in relation to this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In the previous pages, she was back in England, so at some point between then and now she had to have come back from the Colonies.

Bearing Coyote with her, perhaps?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'll admit I had to look it up, but: In 1616, Rolfe visited England with his new wife Pocohontas and presented James I with a pamphlet in which the Virginian modestly revealed tobacco as "the principall commoditie the colony for the present yieldeth." http://www.nps.gov/jame/historyculture/tobacco-the-early-history-of-a-new-world-crop.htm

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Can't wait to see Jones floating in the void as the universe is created.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

Bongo Bill posted:

In the previous pages, she was back in England, so at some point between then and now she had to have come back from the Colonies.

Bearing Coyote with her, perhaps?

"I heard a story, swept across the ocean on the wind," says Coyote. Jones's ship? If it's correct that the court was founded no earlier than 1645, then this is before that (Rolfe died in 1622), matching Coyote's account in that chapter - he came because of Renard and Ysengrin, was there for the founding of the court, and then made the Annan Waters.

Oh, and we still don't know what Jones is.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

IronSaber posted:

Can't wait to see Jones floating in the void as the universe is created.

We get a massive splash page of the Big Bang creating the universe in a cosmic sea of twinkling lights, eerie colors and indescribable sights...

then cut to Jones not giving a poo poo.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

AlexG posted:

"I heard a story, swept across the ocean on the wind," says Coyote. Jones's ship? If it's correct that the court was founded no earlier than 1645, then this is before that (Rolfe died in 1622), matching Coyote's account in that chapter - he came because of Renard and Ysengrin, was there for the founding of the court, and then made the Annan Waters.

Oh, and we still don't know what Jones is.

Except that the founding of the court was before Rendard's time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Specifially, it looks like Coyote came because of Renard, but Renard wasn't at Gillite then. They hooked up after Coyote came to Britain and then headed to Gillite after, where they found the Court and the Forest in dispute.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Except that the founding of the court was before Rendard's time.

I was interpreting the first panel of 491 to be the three animals literally looking at the seed bismuth (compare the glow there to the one in your link) - but perhaps that is only meant to symbolize them being at the Court in some sense. But it can't have been long after the founding, given that Diego, Steadman, etc., were founders and were alive after Coyote made the Annan Waters.