Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Most places I've worked with workshop capacity have used Makita 18v, except the last place I was at where the fitter loved Bosch.

Actually the Bosch corded 5" grinder (blue) which is about $90 AUD At Bunnings is an absolute weapon of a grinder, there's not much I haven't seen it do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Re: green tool chat, I may have a few. Mounted chargers on the wall next to the work bench so I can slap the batteries in when I’m done using a tool. I also have a 12V drill that I keep upstairs in the laundry room for convenience for minor household tasks.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I have a corded Makita 5" ROS that I love and has always performed great. But lately I seem to get a lot of tingling in my arms after 5-10 minutes of use. I know excessive sander use can cause nerve damage from the vibrations, but I wouldn't call my use excessive. Can anyone recommend a sander with less vibration/better grip isolation?

This sounds uncomfortable.

Have you tried gloves?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Re: green tool chat, I may have a few

That little fan got me out of a bind when I moved to Sydney from Melbourne. I'd been living in Airbnb's for two months doing installation work (it was supposed to be two weeks!!) and moved to Sydney around Easter, when it's usually getting colder, but we had a bit of a heatwave through Sydney and nowhere was selling fans. That fan turned my oven of a room into less of an oven

As far as Ryobi goes (iirc)
Drill driver
Impact driver
Rattle gun
5" grinder
12" mitre saw
Brushless circular saw
Work light
Line trimmer
Random Orbital sander
Detail sander
Planer
Trim router
Brad nailer
Work fan
2x 5Ah batteries and 1x 1.3
2 mains chargers and a car charger

I also have the smaller mitre saw registered in my account but it technically belongs to a previous employer and I was planning on liberating it when I got sacked for no good reason (I got away with an extra 5Ah battery instead, fuckers)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Team neon green got me with "two batteries and a tool for $99" around Father's day since I only have 2 18v team yellow batteries that still work, and their 18v batteries are selling for $99 each.

In like 5 weeks I've accumulated 6 4ah and 1 1.5 ah batteries (and 4 chargers), a regular drill, hammer drill, impact driver, fan, and brighter-than-the-sun worklight. The latter two my wife and kids got me because I would not have bought them myself, but a cordless fan and light are SO useful.

Ryobi got its claws into me a few years back when we needed a new garage door opener and I couldn't resist their one with accessory slots and a battery backup. Currently have that installed with two fans pointed at my workbench. My only complaint is that I stopped being able to connect to the wifi, but I am pretty OK with that anyway.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

angryrobots posted:

But the knock-offs are very good and far more affordable. IMO there's no reason to buy brand name batteries.

That really hasn't been my experience. Project Farm did a test with Chineseium batteries recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBiM0GQEe8) and I think the results were that you generally got what you paid for. There's definitely a premium you pay for the De/Mil/Mak batteries, but the cheap ones use lovely cells.

There's almost certainly an opportunity for a knock-off pack to be built with high-quality Samsung/LG cells and come in cheaper than the name brands, but the price difference with quality components wouldn't be worth taking a chance for most people. Thus, they optimize for cost and build lovely packs that won't last as long or perform as well.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

B-Nasty posted:

That really hasn't been my experience. Project Farm did a test with Chineseium batteries recently (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBiM0GQEe8) and I think the results were that you generally got what you paid for. There's definitely a premium you pay for the De/Mil/Mak batteries, but the cheap ones use lovely cells.

There's almost certainly an opportunity for a knock-off pack to be built with high-quality Samsung/LG cells and come in cheaper than the name brands, but the price difference with quality components wouldn't be worth taking a chance for most people. Thus, they optimize for cost and build lovely packs that won't last as long or perform as well.

I haven't tried off-brand tool batteries but I've certainly noticed the same thing with DSLR camera batteries. I've tried several knockoff brands and whatever numbers they claim it's always significantly worse battery life than the OEM ones.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

Hey guys, I have a corded Makita 5" ROS that I love and has always performed great. But lately I seem to get a lot of tingling in my arms after 5-10 minutes of use. I know excessive sander use can cause nerve damage from the vibrations, but I wouldn't call my use excessive. Can anyone recommend a sander with less vibration/better grip isolation?

It may be time to replace your backing pad and give the sander a good cleaning. An old, worn, off balance backing pad can cause additional vibration, as well as any dust caked onto the fan/etc.

Also, some anti-vibration gloves.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

The Ryobi hot glue gun is both a blessing and a curse. Its quite handy to have a cordless glue gun for crafts and various projects and as a bonus the bare tool is nice and cheap.

Which is why your significant other will steal it and you'll never see it again.

And then you'll rapidly find out that the only thing keeping your family from hot gluing every surface in the house was that the cord didnt reach before.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

From the video

I've been running knock-offs for several years and my anecdotal experience is that degradation has not been worse than my OEM batteries but obviously I don't have data to back that up. In my personal opinion the huge cost savings is absolutely worth it, and PF in the end of that video says pretty bluntly that the non-oem batteries can represent a better initial value. It does depend on your use case.

That being said, I did have a DeWalt battery fail under warranty, and they mailed me a new one, no questions asked.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

From the video

I've been running knock-offs for several years and my anecdotal experience is that degradation has not been worse than my OEM batteries but obviously I don't have data to back that up. In my personal opinion the huge cost savings is absolutely worth it, and PF in the end of that video says pretty bluntly that the non-oem batteries can represent a better initial value. It does depend on your use case.

That being said, I did have a DeWalt battery fail under warranty, and they mailed me a new one, no questions asked.
No offense, but when it comes to charging and storing Li-Ion batteries, I'm gonna stick with a name brand. VANON and WAITLEY are just bullshit "eBay/Amazon won't let us just have a 10-digit string of numbers as a username anymore" companies, and I'll bet you :10bux: that they aren't UL/CSA/ETL tested. That means that if one catches fire and burns your house down, your insurance company gets to :lol: their way down the road while tossing you the bird.

I've got 2x 3Ah Makitas that were part of a wedding present in... 2009. 11 years old, countless projects, and plenty of abuse, and they still work. They're well down on capacity, but fine for day to day use. Sure they charge a premium, but warranty claims are usually effortless, and you know you're getting what you're paying for. WAITLEY could change BMS or cell supplier every week, and you'd never know. That's half my issue with the knockoffs: you can never bet on getting the same product twice. I've literally gotten different product in the same bulk order. For poo poo where it doesn't matter and you can wade through the crap, they're fine. When it comes to something that could burn your house down if they cheap out on a cell or a BMS, I'll stick with name brand.

And yes, I have a lot of Makita:

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 22, 2020

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

going along with the idea that it probably ain't great to leave batteries out in the heat, does anyone have any experience with a window AC unit in a shop environment? im planning on adding a wen air filtration thing to my shop, but im not sure if that'll be enough to keep the AC from completely choking to death from dust?

are there any advantages or anything to using a big boy like this instead?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

isnt that right posted:

going along with the idea that it probably ain't great to leave batteries out in the heat, does anyone have any experience with a window AC unit in a shop environment? im planning on adding a wen air filtration thing to my shop, but im not sure if that'll be enough to keep the AC from completely choking to death from dust?

are there any advantages or anything to using a big boy like this instead?

Do you have dust collection and you are adding the air cleaner to it? Air Filtration just sucks air through it and catches the dust in the filters. The A/C will pull some of that dust in as well but just swap the filters out regularly and it should be OK.

My brother had one like that one pictured and just cut a hole in the ceiling for the vent tube up into the attic space. I have to run more electric to my shop but one like that is on the list.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Most of those portable units are much less efficient and/or more expensive than window ones, make sure to compare the EER & BTU ratings of what you are considering. I think the only reason to buy the portable ones instead of window units is if you don't have a window that would accommodate it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I won't debate the insurance stuff but I have seen it recommended here that li-ion batteries should be stored/charged in a fireproof battery bag. That's probably worth mentioning here, outside of this discussion.

Edit:

I did some homework and believe this Is factually untrue:

sharkytm posted:

That means that if one catches fire and burns your house down, your insurance company gets to :lol: their way down the road while tossing you the bird.

If UL cert was that integral to insurers paying out on claims, many DIY projects here would be inadvisable. I only bring this part up because I've seen it repeated here a few times. If something is unsafe or could be done better, that's enough reason to advise against it, insurance scaremongering is unnecessary. That's no excuse to cut corners, mind.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 23, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

angryrobots posted:

If UL cert was that integral to insurers paying out on claims, many DIY projects here would be inadvisable. I only bring this part up because I've seen it repeated here a few times. If something is unsafe or could be done better, that's enough reason to advise against it, insurance scaremongering is unnecessary. That's no excuse to cut corners, mind.

It's complete BS. You likely have tons of crap in your house that is non-UL listed, or only says it is UL listed. It's not even universally required in the US for home goods, it's City/State dependent and even then depends on what the product is.

In Cali the DOI would just laugh them out of the ...well email I guess... if a Carrier tried to file an endorsement excluding non-UL listed items to use on homeowners polices. It would invalidate a risk almost every homeowners policy ever issued has exposure for and was intended to cover. I can't speak for every state, but I really doubt there's a homeowner's policy out there in the US excluding non-UL listed items.

Insurance covers stupid.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not saying go out and buy a bunch of non-UL listed stuff. The point of UL is to have at least some confidence it won't burn your house down.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 23, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

devmd01 posted:

Re: green tool chat, I may have a few. Mounted chargers on the wall next to the work bench so I can slap the batteries in when I’m done using a tool. I also have a 12V drill that I keep upstairs in the laundry room for convenience for minor household tasks.

How do you find the gardening tools? I'm considering getting one of those brush cutters as well as perhaps a trimmer. Need to really cut back on the overgrown garden at our family house.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hedge trimmer is solid, that’s actually the first green ryobi tool I ever bought.

Blower is only really good enough for clearing off the sidewalk/driveway/patio of grass clippings, etc., you’re not gonna be piling leaves with it.

String trimmer is solid enough for home yard use, but if you have a major/thick weed growth clearing situation you might want to get something that can do a swappable head for flails or whatever. Never had a problem with power on it.

The edger is also perfectly good enough for my use case, which is hitting the edge of the sidewalk and driveway every time I mow. Probably isn’t powerful enough for true hardscape edging, it can get bogged down if things are wet.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

devmd01 posted:

Hedge trimmer is solid, that’s actually the first green ryobi tool I ever bought.

Blower is only really good enough for clearing off the sidewalk/driveway/patio of grass clippings, etc., you’re not gonna be piling leaves with it.

String trimmer is solid enough for home yard use, but if you have a major/thick weed growth clearing situation you might want to get something that can do a swappable head for flails or whatever. Never had a problem with power on it.

The edger is also perfectly good enough for my use case, which is hitting the edge of the sidewalk and driveway every time I mow. Probably isn’t powerful enough for true hardscape edging, it can get bogged down if things are wet.

On that note, the Ryobi gas powered Jet blower is pretty drat good. The grip has rubber on it that mixed with sweat rubs uncomfortably but it blows really nicely. Now to 3d print a tennis ball launcher attachment..

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

I won't debate the insurance stuff but I have seen it recommended here that li-ion batteries should be stored/charged in a fireproof battery bag. That's probably worth mentioning here, outside of this discussion.

Edit:

I did some homework and believe this Is factually untrue:

LiPo, yes, in a fireproof bag... and I follow that when I charge LiPo's. You're not supposed to leave them unattended, which I also follow. I leave my Milwaukee and Makita packs on the chargers all the time, and don't think twice about it.

I honestly think that some of the DIY projects here are inadvisable, but you folks are usually pretty good about calling those out. I've seen some that should absolutely have never been attempted, and I'm amazing the poster isn't dead/crippled.

I did some more reading, and it appears that you are correct. Your insurer would pay out, less deductible, and then maybe try to chase the OEM to recover damages. Simple enough, I guess. Thanks for making me do my research instead of just parroting what I've heard for years and on multiple forums.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Li-ion too, unfortunately. The goon in AI who had his garage burn down and almost take out the house said it was started by an 18v Ryobi. The adjuster implied that this was distressingly common, iirc.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Li-ion too, unfortunately. The goon in AI who had his garage burn down and almost take out the house said it was started by an 18v Ryobi. The adjuster implied that this was distressingly common, iirc.

Tremek? I wasn't aware that the cause was determined to be a Li-Ion pack. That's disturbing if true. Ryobi's own documents say nothing about charging in a bag, and their charger uses a fan to actively cool the pack, which ain't gonna work in a bag.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Dewalt says leaving my batteries in the charger is totally fine, maybe even good for them.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If Li Ion batteries were that dangerous to leave on the charger or just sitting around I think there'd be alot more home & office fires caused by laptops left plugged in overnight.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nevets posted:

If Li Ion batteries were that dangerous to leave on the charger or just sitting around I think there'd be alot more home & office fires caused by laptops left plugged in overnight.

I'm gonna have to pull the "former fire investigator checking in" here. By the count in my career you should be way more concerned with all of those lovely wall warts and chargers for your cheapass consumer electronics than known brand tool company batteries and chargers.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Great, you guys are giving me serious :tinfoil: vibes

I can’t say I’ve ever even heard of a lipo bag... do people here actually use stuff like that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For thin-skinned RC battery packs that are running hot, yeah. For tool batteries? I’ve never seen anyone be that paranoid. Trust the holy word of Motronic.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Great, you guys are giving me serious :tinfoil: vibes

I can’t say I’ve ever even heard of a lipo bag... do people here actually use stuff like that?

Lipo batteries require specific chargers and careful attention to your settings. They're popular in RC usage because they have a ton of power for their size and keep that power until they are empty. So much better than NiCad batteries of the past. Thankfully they have the secondary plug and most decent chargers will detect when the cells are full. If you overcharge a lipo, puncture it, drain the battery too low or too fast, short the connection, or ever mischarge it somehow, the cells can bloat and could cause fire and its not a gentle sizzle. Always balance your multi-cell lipo batteries. Always charge in a battery bag away from flammable items. Charge one battery at a time and don't toss all your batteries together because one will ignite the other and it will be much more volatile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hGfCwPwCPQ&t=69s

I only do this for lipo batteries that I use in airsoft guns and my RC crawler. My ryobi batteries live either on my workbench or on a metal rack, but still away from any chemicals or dry rags just in case. I try to avoid leaving batteries on the chargers. Away from the walls if possible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm gonna have to pull the "former fire investigator checking in" here. By the count in my career you should be way more concerned with all of those lovely wall warts and chargers for your cheapass consumer electronics than known brand tool company batteries and chargers.

Tremek posted:

poo poo happened:

Also of note fellow BMW enthusiasts, one 1988 325 coupe, unique patina!

TLDR the fire investigator for our homeowners insurance believes one of my Ryobi lithium ion drill batteries erupted and started the fire. It’s a poo poo sandwich and will take forever to make right.

Tremek posted:

All were less than 2 years old, 18v li-ion, and I don't think any were on a charger at the time.

Tremek posted:

The fire investigator tried to put the fear in me; he said he sees more fires starting from batteries than anything else now.

He told me he doesn't leave the house with a battery on a charger, he sets a timer and removes the battery from the charger and unplugs the charger itself, he charges them on a non-flammable surface, and even recommended using a non-flammable battery bag for both charging and storage.

PS, as most of us don't have smoke detectors in our garages, might be cheap peace of mind to look into networked (as in will tell your detectors inside the house to alarm too) smoke/heat detectors. As you might guess, I did not have one in the garage, it's not code here. Even then my very new smoke detectors in the house didn't alarm until the fire department had already been fighting the fire for ~10 minutes. Very scary stuff, check your fire prevention/evacuation plans folks. I never thought this would happen to us.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nothing I'm saying is doubting that this has happened. I'm talking about relative risks here.

If you are this concerned about something like that you should just have the power company pull your meter. Then you can just worry about your fireplace/wood stove. In the end everything has risk. You will likely be able to find multiple examples of any failure happening. How likely is that to happen to you and what are you willing to do and/or give up over that? That's certainly your choice.

I get Tremek lost. This is not at ALL normal or typical. If you want to take that as your baseline and it fits your lifestyle then go for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So would you say that the fire investigator that Tremek posted had an atypical life, or was trying to sell something? That's the main thing that's making me hesitate; we have two experts (you and him) disagreeing. I don't know a thing about him, and I do know you, which is why I'm more inclined to believe you, but I'd appreciate your opinion on what might be going on there that he'd say what (Tremek claims) he did.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There are a whole lot of criticisms about fire investigation as a science and varying levels of expertise amongst investigators, so I'd take the "Ryobi batteries burned down my garage" story the same way you would when your cop uncle tells you about gang initiation rituals.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So would you say that the fire investigator that Tremek posted had an atypical life, or was trying to sell something? That's the main thing that's making me hesitate; we have two experts (you and him) disagreeing. I don't know a thing about him, and I do know you, which is why I'm more inclined to believe you, but I'd appreciate your opinion on what might be going on there that he'd say what (Tremek claims) he did.

We are from completely different sides of the country and have totally different experiences. I don't want to speak for him, but if I may for a bit I'd say that we're people that are on the ground and lest equipped to see large trends over states/countries. If this was a real trend I'd expect the relevant overarching orgs (government and private) to have noticed and called it out already. If it was that big of a deal you would see it in the people holding the biggest stakes first: the property insurers. It wouldn't likely happen directly through them but from their vassals of testing and certification labs. This has not happened to my knowledge.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Motronic posted:

We are from completely different sides of the country and have totally different experiences. I don't want to speak for him, but if I may for a bit I'd say that we're people that are on the ground and lest equipped to see large trends over states/countries. If this was a real trend I'd expect the relevant overarching orgs (government and private) to have noticed and called it out already. If it was that big of a deal you would see it in the people holding the biggest stakes first: the property insurers. It wouldn't likely happen directly through them but from their vassals of testing and certification labs. This has not happened to my knowledge.

Well, there are limitations on shipping LiPo devices by air, but that's clearly a different situation because they are actually storing energy in chemical form (just like a fuel).

Actually it seems like maybe this is a good way to reason about it: people think about their batteries like they do their Computers, TVs, Stereos, etc -- an electronic appliance; however, in a lot of very meaningful ways they are much more akin to a can of gasoline or a tank of propane (except with even more possibility for self ignition). People treat highly flammable fuels and chemicals in their house one way, but might not think twice about the fact that they are pushing enough joules of energy to drive a lawnmower for an hour into a 0.25 CuFt box.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm not going to stop leaving my ryobi batteries on the 6-pack charger all day every day, above my supply of oily rags and used engine oil, beneath the shelf full of magnesium shavings and leftover fireworks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

devmd01 posted:

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'm thinking maybe one of those 38V ones with a 3 star blade that can cut through thicker stuff while having the power to do so in a reasonable time.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Cool, thanks. Yeah I'm thinking maybe one of those 38V ones with a 3 star blade that can cut through thicker stuff while having the power to do so in a reasonable time.

Smarter every day on youtube did some testing of various trimmer lines to see which one worked best. Pretty interesting results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy55X4QaAAU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That makes sense. Thank you!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I used to work for a mobile device recycler, that would churn through literal tons of Li-Ion batteries from every imaginable device. During the blackberry days, they had maybe 60 square feet of wall space dedicated to well over a thousand lovely chinese universal battery chargers where batteries would get left up to charge overnight and through the weekends. Now they have several thousand devices charging on custom built shelves and bins, and not once has there ever been an issue with that. Swollen packs and devices are discarded, and the bad batteries are binned and shipped to a facility to properly recycle.

The only times a battery ignited was during refurbishment, when prying the glued-on iphone batteries free from the casing if the adhesive strip didn’t peel out cleanly. Very occasionally a cell would rupture from being poked with a tool, in which case the whole thing would be chucked into a metal fire can and taken outside.

If there were ever a place for cells to implode, that would be it. I’ve seen more cells that look like fluffy pillow cases than I care to think about, but never have I seen one spontaneously go up without being ruptured by a tool. Granted, 18v tool packs are largely 18650 cells, but so are Tesla Battery Walls and older laptop batteries.

I also think there’s a lot of new research second guessing established assumptions behind fire investigations, and we really don’t know as much as we would like to think we do. Especially as all of our furnishings these days are made from petroleum based plastics, new homes go up much faster and hotter than old ones, and once a fire hits flashover it’s extremely difficult to determine the source. I wouldn’t be surprised if the investigator found the battery pack and figured that was a good enough explanation.

Some interesting articles for reference:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/forensic-science/Podcast-new-science-extinguishing-subjectivity/97/i26

https://www.npr.org/2011/11/19/142546979/arson-forensics-sets-old-fire-myths-ablaze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hubis posted:

Well, there are limitations on shipping LiPo devices by air, but that's clearly a different situation because they are actually storing energy in chemical form (just like a fuel).

That is not the primary reason they have air travel restrictions. It's because mechanical damage releases that energy violently in the form of smoke and fire, which while not terribly likely, creates an obviously huge problem on a plane in flight. Remember that most air freight (used to) ride in the bottom of passenger flights.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I also think there’s a lot of new research second guessing established assumptions behind fire investigations, and we really don’t know as much as we would like to think we do. Especially as all of our furnishings these days are made from petroleum based plastics, new homes go up much faster and hotter than old ones, and once a fire hits flashover it’s extremely difficult to determine the source. I wouldn’t be surprised if the investigator found the battery pack and figured that was a good enough explanation.

It's not "second guessing" it's "first contact with actual science". The old school FMs were dumpster fires of non-scientific methods, gut feelings and tribal knowledge handed down from the last batch of dopes. While actual fire science training has been increasingly the norm in investigations for the last couple of decades there are still dopes out there that think they know better.