Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I'm having a problem. Tried googling it but it was a bit meh.

Anyways, I have a NTFS external drive which I'm trying to share via OSX. Once I share it through system preferences, I check the ACL, and there's an "unknown user"

I'm not able to remove it, I can only change the permission which would be fine but there is no option for "No Access"

I am thinking it's a permission granted through NTFS which is unknown to OSX. Is there a way I can check SIDs and ACLs through the terminal on OSX so I can match it to the Windows SID and remove it via Windows? If so, which command would it be?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Animated GIFs are definitely more taxing than they should be in WebKit.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Try this one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491957

maybe I'm expecting too good of performance but they all are slow loading and it at least seems like it's killing my battery if I have a bunch of gifs up (which isn't exactly ideal for browsing SA). 2012 Macbook Air, if it matters.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AndrewP posted:

maybe I'm expecting too good of performance but they all are slow loading and it at least seems like it's killing my battery if I have a bunch of gifs up (which isn't exactly ideal for browsing SA). 2012 Macbook Air, if it matters.

Some of them stutter (I assume the ones that aren't loaded yet) but it maxes my 20mb internet connection out for like 30 seconds and it's still not done loading them.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

AndrewP posted:

While they're loading they play choppy, but once fully loaded the entire page runs fine.

It's just a connection/loading thing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I see what you mean. I had an old Macbook I was using that I hadn't updated in ages and was using a really old version of Safari which couldn't load gifs for poo poo, so one of my first tests was to try one of those threads with my new Air and it seemed like it was still having problems. The occasional avatar gif or whatever works fine now.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

1997 posted:

I haven't noticed any unusual amounts of trackpads coming in. Probably just a coincidence.

My shop hasn't had that occuring either. Although we did have 6 bad flex cables this week on a variety of Macbooks. :psyduck:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
That page has just shy of 200 MB of gifs.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Mac noob photo question. When I plug my phone/iPad/camera in, I get the option to import photos to either the Pictures folder or the iPhoto library.

Is there any reason to not import them to the iPhoto library?

Or maybe more to the point, I've read that photos in the iPhoto library are selectable in any system-wide Open dialogue. Is that true?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or maybe more to the point, I've read that photos in the iPhoto library are selectable in any system-wide Open dialogue. Is that true?

No, and yes. iPhoto is great tool for photo management and editing and there really isn't anything better unless you get into professional tools like Lightroom and Aperture.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Mac noob photo question. When I plug my phone/iPad/camera in, I get the option to import photos to either the Pictures folder or the iPhoto library.

It might be in newer versions, but in the one I have (iPhoto '09), you need to cmd/right click the picture and click show in finder, and then copy the image somewhere accessible or make a shortcut/alias to it. Or you can cmd/right click the iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures, click show package contents and dig through there.

I remember the old versions let you just wander through your library from any Open dialog, though.

But that's a minor inconvenience given how neatly it'll organize your pictures.

But as to your first question, it is more convenient to drop things in your Pictures folder, if you're willing to organize them yourself, for easy access. But unless you're going to try and upload your pictures to a service iPhoto doesn't have, that's irrelevant. It'll even let you pick your own third-party editor, if you want to use things beyond the included tools.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's the deal with Sparrow nowadays? There hasn't been an update for it in ages now, the Growl functionality is gone for some reason and their site just boasts about the fact that they were bought by Google with no further details as to how that changes things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

they were bought by Google with no further details as to how that changes things.

quote:

There hasn't been an update for it in ages now
I think that was the change, or at least no new features or something.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

japtor posted:

I think that was the change, or at least no new features or something.

Security updates only til Google actually decide to do something with it. I'd wager a merger of functionality into the Gmail app for iOS and OS X users being poo poo out of luck.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Zenostein posted:

It might be in newer versions, but in the one I have (iPhoto '09), you need to cmd/right click the picture and click show in finder, and then copy the image somewhere accessible or make a shortcut/alias to it. Or you can cmd/right click the iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures, click show package contents and dig through there.

I remember the old versions let you just wander through your library from any Open dialog, though.

He wasn't referring to digging through your iPhoto Library folder in the Open dialog. As of Leopard (or SL?) Apple added a "Media" section to the sidebar in the Open Dialog that allows you to view and select photos (aperture/iPhoto) or music (iTunes) without having to go through their respective apps (or digging through their complex library folders).

Ps. Your avatar looks like me. It creeps me out every time I see it. Some day I'm going to throw in :10bux: to put a stop to this.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

So what's the deal with Sparrow nowadays? There hasn't been an update for it in ages now, the Growl functionality is gone for some reason and their site just boasts about the fact that they were bought by Google with no further details as to how that changes things.

From their website:

quote:

While we’ll be working on new things at Google, we will continue to make Sparrow available and provide support for our users.

Translation: we're not really going to be working on it anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

Translation: we're not really going to be working on it anymore.
I figured as much. Guess I'll just have to wait until Google decides to do something with it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Stare-Out posted:

I migrated away from it pretty much the day of the announcement. It was pretty clear it was going to wither away under Google's ownership.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I migrated away from it pretty much the day of the announcement. It was pretty clear it was going to wither away under Google's ownership.
The only thing that bugs me is that it ignores Growl completely or vice versa. Otherwise it's still the best of its kind I've found on OS X, Apple's own mail client stinks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Google buys stuff for 2 reasons: the technology/staff and user base. Whatever Sparrow is, I'm betting they're not after its user base.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

The only thing that bugs me is that it ignores Growl completely or vice versa. Otherwise it's still the best of its kind I've found on OS X, Apple's own mail client stinks.

Yeah, OS X Mail really is poo poo. I've resigned myself to running it in the background to get notifications, but otherwise mostly using the Gmail web app.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'm a pretty big fan of MailMate (http://mailmate-app.com). It's super minimalist and customizable, fast, with a low CPU/memory footprint, with robust searching/filtering.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

devilmouse posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of MailMate (http://mailmate-app.com). It's super minimalist and customizable, fast, with a low CPU/memory footprint, with robust searching/filtering.
That doesn't seem half bad really, I'll keep that in mind in case Sparrow loses functionality and support altogether. I only recently started using the multiple accounts feature which is nice but noticed that Sparrow lumped a 300+ Gmail message e-mail into one and causes some beachballing each time I access the mailbox.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

devilmouse posted:

Am I crazy, or does their website not have a single screenshot that isn't severely cropped to show only very specific features?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Not exactly Mac related but is the latest Gmail app for iOS "native"? That's probably what the Sparrow people are doing now if so.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

crazysim posted:

Not exactly Mac related but is the latest Gmail app for iOS "native"? That's probably what the Sparrow people are doing now if so.

No idea about your first question, but according to MG Siegler (who generally has good sources for these kind of things) the Sparrow team had nothing to do with it. http://twitter.com/parislemon/status/276016860288405504

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

crazysim posted:

Yes, it's native. This is the gmail experience I've wanted on the iPhone for 4 years now.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Mother fucker. That's twice now, tonight, that I've hit some drat keyboard shortcut that's changed the size of my desktop icons. First time they went to 64px, the last time they went to 128px. What am I doing that's causing this? It wrecks all my poo poo because when I change them back they never go back to where they were.

Edit: haha jesus, I just looked back at my post history, and this is the third time I've posted in this thread about my desktop icons changing. I guess you can just ignore me, unless anyone's got some new information; until then it's back to the old standby: "Finder is a piece of poo poo."

jackpot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 5, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

jackpot posted:

Mother fucker. That's twice now, tonight, that I've hit some drat keyboard shortcut that's changed the size of my desktop icons. First time they went to 64px, the last time they went to 128px. What am I doing that's causing this? It wrecks all my poo poo because when I change them back they never go back to where they were.

Edit: haha jesus, I just looked back at my post history, and this is the third time I've posted in this thread about my desktop icons changing. I guess you can just ignore me, unless anyone's got some new information; until then it's back to the old standby: "Finder is a piece of poo poo."
Quick googling suggests that if you've got Finder windows or the desktop in icon view mode then using the pinch to zoom trackpad gesture will cause the icons to get smaller or larger. Maybe that's it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crazysim posted:

Well it's not a webview if that's what you're asking, but it's not using standard UI stuff either (same goes for the YouTube app for that matter).

Back to Mac software, for anyone that uses Safari and has autocorrect on, anyone ever have a problem of a word getting corrected in a text area (like the forum post box) then having keyboard focus seemingly taken away? Like I misspell a word, it gets corrected when I hit space, but with the keyboard focus switched out the space gets interpreted as page down. It's not consistent so it's pretty confusing why it's happening.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Can I use a thunderbolt cable from a macbook pro to an imac and daisy it to an hdmi converter to my tv to have three screens?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I really want to move over to the GMail app because y'know, labels, but have gotten so used to Mail's amazingly helpful data identifiers for things like calendar events that one day's usage without made me incredibly frustrated. Would have though Google of all companies could have implemented some form of 'search' based algorithm for that!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Mercurius posted:

Quick googling suggests that if you've got Finder windows or the desktop in icon view mode then using the pinch to zoom trackpad gesture will cause the icons to get smaller or larger. Maybe that's it?
Yessssss. Thank you, so much. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Zoom in on images, maps, PDFs, sure, but not the damned desktop, jesus.

http://www.mura.org/2010/10/stop-zooming-desktop-icons-in-mac-os-x

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jackpot posted:

Yessssss. Thank you, so much. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. Zoom in on images, maps, PDFs, sure, but not the damned desktop, jesus.

http://www.mura.org/2010/10/stop-zooming-desktop-icons-in-mac-os-x

I think it's a function of the Finder's use of the same gesture in any icon view window. The ability to pinch zoom icons is gone in Lion+, by the way.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is there a site specific browser out there that doesn't suck a massively fat dick? Fluid is (apparently) not maintained anymore and suffers from some .htaccess authentication bug that makes it completely broken for what I want to use it for. I tried some Google Chrome hack to spawn a new instance of the application as a SSB but Chrome has some horrific OSX bug that causes it to engage the discrete GPU which puts my MacBook Pro into hovercraft mode.

:sigh:

Any ideas?

io_burn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 5, 2012

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

io_burn posted:

Is there a site specific browser out there that doesn't such a massively fat dick? Fluid is (apparently) not maintained anymore and suffers from some .htaccess authentication bug that makes it completely broken for what I want to use it for. I tried some Google Chrome hack to spawn a new instance of the application as a SSB but Chrome has some horrific OSX bug that causes it to engage the discrete GPU which puts my MacBook Pro into hovercraft mode.

Any ideas?

I wish safari was polished more because I want to use it. It doesn't engage discrete afaik.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

io_burn posted:

Is there a site specific browser out there that doesn't suck a massively fat dick? Fluid is (apparently) not maintained anymore and suffers from some .htaccess authentication bug that makes it completely broken for what I want to use it for. I tried some Google Chrome hack to spawn a new instance of the application as a SSB but Chrome has some horrific OSX bug that causes it to engage the discrete GPU which puts my MacBook Pro into hovercraft mode.

Any ideas?
Are you going to need flash in chrome? From what I remember it's the built in flash plugin in chrome that causes the MBP to flip over to the discrete GPU and drive the fan speed up so maybe if you disable the flash plugin it'll stop doing it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Mercurius posted:

Are you going to need flash in chrome? From what I remember it's the built in flash plugin in chrome that causes the MBP to flip over to the discrete GPU and drive the fan speed up so maybe if you disable the flash plugin it'll stop doing it.

Shouldn't the plugin only engage if there's actual Flash content being displayed?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

io_burn posted:

Shouldn't the plugin only engage if there's actual Flash content being displayed?
I just tested (15" RMBP/10.8.2) and opening Chrome (23.0.1271.95) and just browsing sites normally doesn't cause it to turn on the discrete graphics, but sites with Flash do. Are you running the normal retail release of Chrome or one of the Dev builds?

Also, how old is your MBP? Looking at the Chrome bug tracker it seems that Chrome's been set up to force the discrete graphics card on older (2010 or earlier with the 330M) MBPs due to a bug with the dynamic graphics switching which could cause a kernel panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Have you tried opening Chrome, going to a Flash enabled site, then right-click on the Flash content, then select Settings and disable hardware acceleration? And then quitting and relaunching to see if the discrete gets turned on again?