Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I just had the pleasure of referencing a journal article by someone with the surname Backholer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's someone on my class list with the given name Moo.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Pope Hilarius II posted:

'Slagboom' is Dutch for a barrier of the type you see in e.g. secure parking lots and literally means 'beat-down tree' (cf. think of Afrikaans 'boomslang' which literally means 'tree snake'). I believe Russian imported 'slagboom' as a loanword even. But it's a weird last name regardless.

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I heard an origin story for weird as Dutch sur names. Before 1811 they used patronymics, like Jensen (John's son). Bonaparte invade the Netherlands and wanted people to have surnames for taxes and poo poo. The Dutch didn't take it seriously and made up weird poo poo to gently caress with the French, but they stuck.

Here's a source, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
https://netherlandsbynumbers.com/2013/06/05/14-dutch-surnames-which-you-are-glad-are-not-yours/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a popular story in Flanders, where some people like to brag about how we (or specifically the County of Flanders/Duchy of Brabant) were already advanced, urbanized societies while 99% of the Dutch were still living in peat huts in the swamp.

I am also sceptical of this, since places like Amsterdam and Rotterdam had been important port cities for centuries by 1800, not to mention university towns like Leiden. In fact, their Golden Age was already past them at that point. On the other hand, it is true that these out-there names are almost exclusively specifically Dutch, rarely Flemish as well, and very tellingly they all seem to use more modern Dutch spelling as opposed to the archaic spelling commonly found in Flanders. My best guess without actually looking into it is that it's partially true, and that it applies mostly to the rural eastern provinces, not so much Holland, and probably not North Brabant either.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
There's a famous artist who named her son Yrkkö Myrsky Yrjänä Äkkijyrkkä, which is a perfect collection of the roughest sounds you can make in Finnish. It's like a phonetic version of a rusty spiked ball.

Google translate's text to speech is pretty good, if you want to hear it pronounced.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

There's a famous artist who named her son Yrkkö Myrsky Yrjänä Äkkijyrkkä, which is a perfect collection of the roughest sounds you can make in Finnish. It's like a phonetic version of a rusty spiked ball.

Google translate's text to speech is pretty good, if you want to hear it pronounced.

She can also provide you with viperless milk.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

deoju posted:

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I heard an origin story for weird as Dutch sur names. Before 1811 they used patronymics, like Jensen (John's son). Bonaparte invade the Netherlands and wanted people to have surnames for taxes and poo poo. The Dutch didn't take it seriously and made up weird poo poo to gently caress with the French, but they stuck.

Here's a source, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
https://netherlandsbynumbers.com/2013/06/05/14-dutch-surnames-which-you-are-glad-are-not-yours/

Phlegmish posted:

It's a popular story in Flanders, where some people like to brag about how we (or specifically the County of Flanders/Duchy of Brabant) were already advanced, urbanized societies while 99% of the Dutch were still living in peat huts in the swamp.

I am also sceptical of this, since places like Amsterdam and Rotterdam had been important port cities for centuries by 1800, not to mention university towns like Leiden. In fact, their Golden Age was already past them at that point. On the other hand, it is true that these out-there names are almost exclusively specifically Dutch, rarely Flemish as well, and very tellingly they all seem to use more modern Dutch spelling as opposed to the archaic spelling commonly found in Flanders. My best guess without actually looking into it is that it's partially true, and that it applies mostly to the rural eastern provinces, not so much Holland, and probably not North Brabant either.

No, it's a myth: http://www.naamkunde.net/?page_id=162 (source is in Dutch though)

Apparently many of the more comical Dutch last names were the result of forced 'dutchification' of foreign (most French, German or English) names.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

There's a new pizza place being built in my town and the owner's name is apparently Ricky Pennisi.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

deoju posted:

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but I heard an origin story for weird as Dutch sur names. Before 1811 they used patronymics, like Jensen (John's son).
Actual question: How do you keep track of your relatives when you follow this naming scheme? I don't mean following family trees back generations, I mean like "I need to give this letter to my second cousin Bjorn who lives in the next town. I don't know his father's name or where he lives, so just ask around for a Bjorn who has a sister with the last name Helgadochter." Or "I owe Hans Heroldsen twenty guilders. No, not Hans Heroldsen son of Herold Jansen, Hans Herolden son of Herold Larsen. No, not that Herold Larsen, the one whose father was Lars..."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess it's a common surname as I keep seeing it, but I always smile at Dikshit.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

Actual question: How do you keep track of your relatives when you follow this naming scheme? I don't mean following family trees back generations, I mean like "I need to give this letter to my second cousin Bjorn who lives in the next town. I don't know his father's name or where he lives, so just ask around for a Bjorn who has a sister with the last name Helgadochter." Or "I owe Hans Heroldsen twenty guilders. No, not Hans Heroldsen son of Herold Jansen, Hans Herolden son of Herold Larsen. No, not that Herold Larsen, the one whose father was Lars..."

If Hans wants his money, he'll find you.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

hyperhazard posted:

Iceland seems to do ok. Apparently, there's an app for that.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Mobility wasn't fantastic back in the Middle Ages, if you were born in an area chances were you would remain in it or at least have your home there for the rest of your life, so in an average small village, everyone knew each other and could go back a couple of generations in living memory. It's not a coincidence this system began to fade out first in populous cities. In your hypothesis, likely all three Hans guys would have a nickname of sorts, like Big Hans, Hans the Leper or Bald Hans (incidentally, some now fixed last names grew out of nicknames like that).

Some Indo-European cultures (and presumably others, but my knowledge of them is very faint) kept the patronymic system but introduced a third name to denote sublineages or individuality.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I guess it's a common surname as I keep seeing it, but I always smile at Dikshit.

Better to be a Dikshit than a Shitdick, as my grandfather never said

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Better to be a Dikshit than a Shitdick, as my grandfather never said

That wasn't then. Now kids are all about poo poo on my dick and eat both my asses. No respect.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Mobility wasn't fantastic back in the Middle Ages, if you were born in an area chances were you would remain in it or at least have your home there for the rest of your life, so in an average small village, everyone knew each other and could go back a couple of generations in living memory. It's not a coincidence this system began to fade out first in populous cities. In your hypothesis, likely all three Hans guys would have a nickname of sorts, like Big Hans, Hans the Leper or Bald Hans (incidentally, some now fixed last names grew out of nicknames like that).

Some Indo-European cultures (and presumably others, but my knowledge of them is very faint) kept the patronymic system but introduced a third name to denote sublineages or individuality.

Thanks, the etymologies of names is really interesting. Like, I was always told that my last name translated to Baker, and found out recently that that's bullshit some family member made up years ago. It actually translates, roughly, to Person Who Lives In a Cave. The really weird thing is that my mother's maiden name also comes from the word cave, so apparently my ancestors were all bats or something.

Could be worse, I could be HansLepersen.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have an Anjalika in my class.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lady Disdain posted:

I have an Anjalika in my class.

I had to read that like three times before I realized it’s a hard j sound.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Same; I was trying to read it as though it were Swedish.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had to read that like three times before I realized it’s a hard j sound.

Well, at least it's easy to disguise.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I saw a note tonight from a colleague with terrible handwriting about a client whose surname is either Badblood or Radblood. Both are good names.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
SevenPharoh, which would be a good boss character name
Bethlehem, who thankfully goes by Beth

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Heh, Kyle.

Seen where I work: Simone Lagree.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Hey guys, just a heads-up that I've updated the OP. No real rule changes except that it has been proved without a doubt that the name Abcde really exists, but just an FYI.

I met a new student today whose last name is Wakame. That's a kind of seaweed :3:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Zemgus Girgensons
fliegt mit den Gänsen davon"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know it's probably Lithuanian or something but that looks like a (good) made-up video game name

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Latvian.

A few years ago he got to play in the All Star Game because Latvians flooded the fan vote. He's not very good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A lot of these names are obviously stupid, but Treg doesn't even feel like a name to me. It feels incomplete somehow.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

That is the sum totallity of his life in that little blurb and I will not hear otherwise.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's Latvian.

A few years ago he got to play in the All Star Game because Latvians flooded the fan vote. He's not very good.

it's gonna take a lot of work to try and unseat the best all-star fan flood ever aka john scott

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's Latvian.

Them's fighting words. We might be one of the worst teams in the league, but I won't stand for being reminded of it.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
First names

-Phelisity
-Quynten (this almost looks Vietnamese to me)
-Pheenyx
-Skylon
-Huntress

Last names

-Fall Leaf
-Ladyman
-Toothaker
-Batman-Wolfe

Full names

-Dream Shivers
-Falcon Football (last name)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If he touches a dude named Trent Berg they mutually annihilate in a burst of gamma radiation

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lady Disdain posted:

A lot of these names are obviously stupid, but Treg doesn't even feel like a name to me. It feels incomplete somehow.

Yeah, it's the same energy as Burm Snart: someone created some random syllables that have the vague linguistic feel of names but are not names. Naming by Markov Chain

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's Latvian.

I'm not saying all Balts look alike but I feel like I was pretty close

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, it's the same energy as Burm Snart: someone created some random syllables that have the vague linguistic feel of names but are not names. Naming by Markov Chain

There are 26 letters in my full name. A mix of German and English, 1/2 and 1/2, alternating, with a hyphen.
English speaking Americans don't even try. Spanish speakers? They wait a moment, try it, ask me how to say it again, then carefully repeat my name. 9 times out of 10, they do a good job. It must sound more like gobbledygook to them than native English speakers, but they actually try.

Meanwhile, I stare like a donkey when asking East Asian acquaintances of mine their full names.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
brekyn
brevyn
thumbelina
phinex
vevlon
damillion
britinae, which im imagining is pronounced like forrest gump pronounces "jenny"

theres someone at my company with the name crystal bloodsaw :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lady Disdain posted:

Short for Tregvor.