Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Plavski posted:

Combined with the rechargeable battery, light weight and small form factor, it's really good for music on the couch.

That’s awesome. With a toddler running around and a baby on the way, it’s hard to disappear into the studio (guest bedroom) these days. That’s one reason I love all these self-contained jam boxes.

Also my son loves to twiddle on them with me, which is fun.

I think the OP-Z's tiny form factor will be good when I'm pacing around with a baby strapped to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Has anyone tried the Linnstrument before? I have a Push 2 but have been pretty intrigued by MPE. Unfortunately it seems like its a pretty niche controller and so there's none in stores for me to see what it feels like.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Supersonic posted:

Has anyone tried the Linnstrument before? I have a Push 2 but have been pretty intrigued by MPE. Unfortunately it seems like its a pretty niche controller and so there's none in stores for me to see what it feels like.

I've only used it in a demo booth situation (with Roger Linn!) and it seemed pretty neat to me. The feel of the pads was decent--as you'd expect from Linn--and having several different "tuning" layouts to choose from was nice. The "3d" aspect of the pads was neat, but I didn't get a chance to dive into the whole configuration aspect of it. It's sort of like a combo between a pad-based controller like a Push or Monome or something and a Roli, which *I* think is pretty niche and gimmicky (and honestly doesn't play well, IMO).

Everyone I know that's messed with a Linnstrument wants one, though.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Plavski posted:

Combined with the rechargeable battery, light weight and small form factor, it's really good for music on the couch.

yeah no wires needed synthesis is a fun experience and a breath of fresh air (literally even) when i wanna take a break from the modular and mono/poly

ive been eyeing something with a broader palette than the tb-03 ill hafta look into this deluge thing

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
ableton not supporting MPE sucks. i have a roli block and it's lovely to use, but it's awkward as hell when your daw doesn't like it

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
cv.ocd's are back in stock if anyone else was waiting

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Well there it is.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Moog/Grandmother-Moogfest-2018-Edition.gc

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

ableton not supporting MPE sucks. i have a roli block and it's lovely to use, but it's awkward as hell when your daw doesn't like it

Well it's supported in Max, so my hope would be that it's not going to be long before it's a standard feature in Live 10, but who knows. I can't see them ignoring it for long if they start losing more than a tiny bit of business to Bitwig because of it. I'd also like that combo some day, so fingers crossed.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
So I ordered a Linnstrument 128 and it arrives Wednesday, looking forward to trying it out!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Roli, which *I* think is pretty niche and gimmicky (and honestly doesn't play well, IMO).

Weird, I have a Seaboard Rise and I frickin' love it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Somehow I'm truly shocked every time I see an OP-1 on a stage.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
idk if it's just me but the UI on an OP-1 is really loving annoying to use.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trig Discipline posted:

Weird, I have a Seaboard Rise and I frickin' love it.

I'm not a fan of the feel of it at all. Lots of people love it but it's just not my thing.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Control surfaces are so so personal. I'm pretty dextrous w/ a MPC2500 pad set but that's only cause I never learned to play keys and just forced myself to use that for years. As a result weighted piano style controllers feel weird to me now (and gently caress actual pianos!)

The flip is its just a matter of time and learning.

===

Anyone run into a Streichfett erasing itself constantly when you try to save a preset? I just pulled mine out of the closet and I'm remembering why I stuck it in there. I only really need one sound but even just keeping it between power cycles is tricky.

I've noticed it happens whenever it's getting MIDI but I just accidentally did it some other way too. USB power (from a strip w/ jacks) and MIDI over DIN so I'm not getting toooo weird with things.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the keys on my mono/poly are the nicest ive ever played
they feel like what a vox continental shoulda felt like brand new

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

rickiep00h posted:

I'm not a fan of the feel of it at all. Lots of people love it but it's just not my thing.

I managed to try a Seaboard in person but wasn't a fan of the feel either, it felt a bit too grippy for me. I'm also not as comfortable with keyboard as I am guitar so I prefer the layout of the Linnstrument, but again this is super subjective. I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with the Linnstrument yet but I really like the feel and expressiveness it offers, again coming from guitar I was able to quickly get up and running as the note layout makes a lot of sense to me. Within about an hour of messing around I figured out the a minor pentatonic and started playing some stuff I'm familiar with on guitar with relative ease. I still need to learn chords though, as well as how to play expressively with a controller.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/997368534886899712?s=19

Shitposty but I figure some of you might get a kick out of this. Never knew kojima was a synthman.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/997368534886899712?s=19

Shitposty but I figure some of you might get a kick out of this. Never knew kojima was a synthman.

Aaaand MatrixBrute sales probably just doubled from impulse purchases by Kojima fanatics who have only a loose understanding of what a synthesizer is.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Aaaand MatrixBrute sales probably just doubled from impulse purchases by Kojima fanatics who have only a loose understanding of what a synthesizer is.

They help you make over budget and convulated games?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Photex posted:

They help you make over budget and convulated games?

That and they must have some connection to the deeper lore of the MGS/Silent Hills universe, here are fifteen half hour videos explaining how.

Maybe my Kojima-fan friends are uniquely crazy/loaded, though. But everybody I know that is a day-one buyer of anything he makes also buys whatever most expensive Platinum/Legendary/Ridiculous version is available. One even bought a second PS4 with P.T. on it because he was so distraught that he deleted the demo before it was removed from the Playstation Store.

Which means he's the perfect person to impulse buy a MatrixBrute purely because he saw his Lord and Savior touching one.

edit: hahahaha, like clockwork, right after posting this, he called me to ask how much of the gear I could identify.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 18, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Robot Nanite fart noises, son!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So my crazy friend was disappointed to hear that it's not actually Kojima's setup, but.... apparently still might buy a Prophet or MatrixBrute? So I may actually finally know somebody local who is also a budding synth geek? Thanks Hideo Kojima for spreading the synthlove, I guess.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Jesus, try to at last talk him down to a micro or mini.

Who am I kidding, we all need to get in touchpad with our kojima friends so we can by yourself mint condition used matrixbrutes for half a price.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Jesus, try to at last talk him down to a micro or mini.

Who am I kidding, we all need to get in touchpad with our kojima friends so we can by yourself mint condition used matrixbrutes for half a price.

I actually offered to sell him my micro since I kinda want a mini 2S, he's considering it. He makes so much money though, I don't really feel bad just opening the door and telling him to go wild. Sounds like we're gonna take a trip to the local Guitar Center to check stuff out though, I know they have at least a Matrix and probably a Prophet of some type.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
P8s and pro2s are probably good scooping up prices with people chasing the new stuff, if he doesn’t mind used. Pro2 quickly become my favorite mono.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87AXdzvR82Y

Synths and 'synth' related: Season 3 of Humans snuck up on me so currently bingeing season 2, forgot how much I love this opening theme (and the soundtrack in general).

How do I approach making that robot choir sound from the 20 second mark? I cant figure out if its a synthesized choir, or a sampled one put through a vocoder or what.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Synthesized choir. You need a Polymoog-style formant filter, at least, that’d be my first guess.

Wavetables may also do the job - there was a nice choir sound on the Waldorf Q, but I don’t recall the details. Unison for the spread and multitude of voices, LFO modulating the wavetable position for a bit of liveliness.

What do you have at your disposal?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm all software, notable mentions for making noises are Cubase 9.5 (Artist so with Retrologue 2, Padshop, Halion Sonic SE with Flux), Massive, Kontakt, LusH101. I've got Fabfilter ProQ2 so can make some formants filters in that too. Massive is probably the best way to go judging by your description, thank you!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If the wavetable route doesn't workout, romplers are usually my plan b for that.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan
I've been trying to plug my 2018 iPad into my focusrite 2i2 so that I could send a ios synth audio into Ableton, but I'm running into a strange issue. With my headphones on (or just through the iPad speakers), I can hear all kinds of normal sounds like kick drums, synths, etc, but when I connect directly into my audio interface via 1/4 to 1/2 cables (I've tried two different ones) I can no longer hear the kick drum, and the synth noises sound all weird (despite playing fine with the headphones). I also tried plugging into a yamaha THR-10 amp (which also acts as an audio interface via USB) and got the same weird results as the focusrite. Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Supersonic posted:

I've been trying to plug my 2018 iPad into my focusrite 2i2 so that I could send a ios synth audio into Ableton, but I'm running into a strange issue. With my headphones on (or just through the iPad speakers), I can hear all kinds of normal sounds like kick drums, synths, etc, but when I connect directly into my audio interface via 1/4 to 1/2 cables (I've tried two different ones) I can no longer hear the kick drum, and the synth noises sound all weird (despite playing fine with the headphones). I also tried plugging into a yamaha THR-10 amp (which also acts as an audio interface via USB) and got the same weird results as the focusrite. Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

Can the Focusrite input take a stereo signal? Are you using a stereo cable? If that’s your standard mic/instrument combo-jack, then you can’t just plug a stereo cable into it and get both L and R channels. You have to get a stereo-to-twin mono cable/adapter and use two channels. I don’t think the 2i2 has a dedicated stereo in. On the other side of the equation, the iPad headphone jack is stereo (+mic and data).

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

Tortured By Flan

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Can the Focusrite input take a stereo signal? Are you using a stereo cable? If that’s your standard mic/instrument combo-jack, then you can’t just plug a stereo cable into it and get both L and R channels. You have to get a stereo-to-twin mono cable/adapter and use two channels. I don’t think the 2i2 has a dedicated stereo in. On the other side of the equation, the iPad headphone jack is stereo (+mic and data).

This is definitely it, as the THR10 aux input takes stereo and that works fine. Looks like I'll need to buy a dual 1/4 to stereo cable tomorrow.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Supersonic posted:

This is definitely it, as the THR10 aux input takes stereo and that works fine. Looks like I'll need to buy a dual 1/4 to stereo cable tomorrow.

:420: :420: :420:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

yeah buy some weed tomorrow too

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah buy some weed tomorrow too

Synths and weed go together like spaghetti and meatballs.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

MrSargent posted:

Synths and weed go together like spaghetti and meatballs.

whenever i see a post at muffs b/s/t saying "only used in non smoking environment" i wanna post :milk: you doin it wrong

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

whenever i see a post at muffs b/s/t saying "only used in non smoking environment" i wanna post :milk: you doin it wrong

You can always step out on the patio to smoke and then go back in to make noises. I'd never smoke around my gear just because I've bought guitars from smokers before that reeked for years.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

You can always step out on the patio to smoke and then go back in to make noises. I'd never smoke around my gear just because I've bought guitars from smokers before that reeked for years.

this definitely happens w/ tobacco but I've nevvvver heard of it with weed and I've pushed it to the point where I figured it would have come up for me if it ever did for anyone.

not saying you haven't had problems with it but I feel like that's a "buying Sleep's backline"-level issue with cannabis at least.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

there was a guy on there from norcal who specifically mentioned he never let tobacco anywhere near his stuff but would blaze daily

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

this definitely happens w/ tobacco but I've nevvvver heard of it with weed and I've pushed it to the point where I figured it would have come up for me if it ever did for anyone.

not saying you haven't had problems with it but I feel like that's a "buying Sleep's backline"-level issue with cannabis at least.

Oh I haven't had problems with that with weed specifically either, but I assume it would if you give it long enough. I'm sure it's way worse for acoustic guitars than for synths made out of plastic and metal anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you have synth money you can afford a Volcano.