Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, that sucks. The ones who are prepared to die are the ones I need to DPS down the rest of the boss. Im sorry Plague Doctor and Vestal, but you cant burn the heart fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Beat it. Took me way too long to understand how important stuns are but once I did it made even the Darkest Dungeon easier some boss fights. What an incredible game, I hope there's a sequel.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Semi-related, but I was looking up the narrator's voice actor (Wayne June) since apparently he does a lot of audiobook readings. Lots of horror books including Edgar Allen Poe and Lovecraft (appropriately enough), but in light of this game I had to laugh at the title of this one. :roflolmao:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MadDogMike posted:

but in light of this game I had to laugh at the title of this one. :roflolmao:

I can't stop laughing like an idiot at the idea of the adventurer's listening to this while resting at the campfire.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't stop laughing like an idiot at the idea of the adventurer's listening to this while resting at the campfire.

OMG, it's even worse, I checked further and there are yet more of them. Imagine if somebody modded lines from these into the Sanitarium somehow...

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I don't think I can ever be convinced not to always field 4 hound masters. It's just too good.

Plus the one time I tried a varied party later on (occultist, hound master, abomination, hellion on DD3, all max level and pimped out in trinkets and decent quirks), in the first battle against 2 hounds and a flying thing (basically random mooks), my abomination immediately got sniped by all 3 on the first turn, critted to death's door, and died instantly to blight damage, before I even got to take a single action.

Even the game doesn't want me to field anything but hound masters.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Power of Pecota posted:

It's extremely Darkest Dungeon that an afflicted hero who isn't at death's door can go "I'D RATHER DIE THAN EAT THIS GARBAGE" while you're camping and then die when you select the food total to eat before you can use de-stressing skills on them. I just lost a level 6 Plague Doctor from that, and I didn't select a half portion or anything.

How quickly the tide turns.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
She'd rather die than eat, and she stuck to her word.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Node posted:

How quickly the tide turns.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 6, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

lol

I also found the swankiest 2 Fungal Crawler/2 Fungal Bombard group ever on a quest for the Ancestor's Mustache Cream.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

What I'd really love to hear is June do those same relaxation tapes with the Ancestor's narration style.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Power of Pecota posted:

I also found the swankiest 2 Fungal Crawler/2 Fungal Bombard group ever on a quest for the Ancestor's Mustache Cream.
Did you light torches after the fight, or during it? It's theoretically possible to get two Ancestral trinkets as enemy drops but you'd need unbelievable luck on the loot tables if you weren't fighting in darkness.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey if you wipe on the second darkest dungeon mission do you lose the torches?

purely out of interest, i mean. i'm not planning on doing so

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nope

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nakar posted:

Did you light torches after the fight, or during it? It's theoretically possible to get two Ancestral trinkets as enemy drops but you'd need unbelievable luck on the loot tables if you weren't fighting in darkness.

I came into that with 75% light or higher, so I just got insanely lucky. I've had a roller coaster ride over the last few days, in a handful of missions I had that happen, had the Gibbering Prophet one-shot my Occultist with a 42 crit into Eye on You after resisting weakening curse, and this practically back-to-back-to back

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Once I started getting boss drops and ancestral trinkets I kept all my dudes as far away from the bar as possible.

Even before then I never let them gamble.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
It is just held trinket they can lose, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Coolwhoami posted:

It is just held trinket they can lose, right?

Used to be, not anymore!!

MCDOWEEELLLLLLLLL

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So now that I've killed all three Hags, what is the accepted strategy for them? At apprentice level I just focused on her and killed her in a turn and a half. On Veteran I tried the same and that gave her enough time to cook my bounty hunter and hit him with a tenderizer, which he fortunately survived. So on champion I tried knocking people out of the pot at strategic times (i.e. not at the end of a round), but between the hits it took and Taste the Stew, I couldn't get much net damage on her. She still ended up getting my hellion and bounty hunter (my poor long-suffering bounty hunters) to death's door before I killed her.

At this point she feels like the only boss I could ever lose someone to, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something about the fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hag is just a DPS race with a luck factor. You want to bring classes that can comfortably dish out good DPS on the hag, which means being able to land good hits on the 3/4 position. At low levels you can just ignore the poor bastard that gets cooked, but at higher ones it does so much damage you're probably gonna have to bust them out unless you get crits. But if you do break them out, the Hag might just throw them back in again. And again. There really isn't anything you can do about that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Since the pot throws your guy out when they hit death's door, I ignore them and just go for the hag full-time with a healer doing their best to keep people out of death's door when she does the party-wide attacks. The first time I tried, I constantly went for the pot. Which is a really bad idea, it just wears you down. I survived thanks to about eight consecutive death's door survivals, one of which eventually downed my poor Simpsons Hentai.

Basically, hit the witch until she is dead. I kinda think the pot should have had a health bar that didn't regenerate so you could theoretically wear it down too, but there we go.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

It's disappointing that there's no way to meaningfully interact with the pot, because it's an interesting concept. The other bosses have gimmicks that you can tinker with using specific classes or skills, but the Hag is just "hit until dead and maybe you lose someone". I mean, the Swine fight is practically the same thing with a DO NOT HIT THIS gimmick, but at least you can bring an Arbalest to clear marks and change things up.

Just off the top of my head, it would be cool if status effects did something to the pot. Like if landing a bleed cracked it and made your person inside die slower, or if blighting it made Taste the Stew hurt the Hag instead of heal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

stun the pot to gain its power

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hate the Hag because she feels more RNG than most of the bosses in this heavy RNG game. If she decides to spam Taste the Stew there's practically nothing you can do, especially if she crits on the heal. Likewise if she decides to keep throwing the same character into the pot over and over again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

has there been any updates on what those ideas on "eliminating some of the late game grind" will be?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mzbundifund posted:

If she decides to spam Taste the Stew there's practically nothing you can do

Stop bringing Miron to the hag fight so the stew don't taste so good

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Into The Pot can be dodged so the best thing I've been able to figure out is 2 dogmans guarding the other two, who should be high damage badasses.

Even this is not fantastic though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

For the Hag Witch fight I went Vestal/Plague Doctor/Grave Robber/Hellion with the thought being Vestal/PD can both heal anyone who hits death's door in the pot, PD can stack blights, Grave Robber can DPS from any position, and the Hellion can throw Iron Swans buffed by Battle Trance + Sharpen Spear from the camp right beforehand. That worked really well for me, but it'd be really bad if the Hellion went into the pot at the beginning.

I'm down to one Champion-level boss left (Drowned Crew) and am absolutely terrified of that fight. I saw someone streaming it and try + fail the knockback strategy with dedicated trinkets and have it resisted like 8 times. I'm thinking maybe like Plague Doctor/Occultist/Man-at-Arms or Houndmaster/Crusader?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Antiquarian coming next week, by the way. Red Hook posted a picture of a run with it and holy poo poo the rewards.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cc3sYm7WwAARXsv.jpg:large

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm down to one Champion-level boss left (Drowned Crew) and am absolutely terrified of that fight. I saw someone streaming it and try + fail the knockback strategy with dedicated trinkets and have it resisted like 8 times. I'm thinking maybe like Plague Doctor/Occultist/Man-at-Arms or Houndmaster/Crusader?

What's so scary about the crew? You get to pick who gets anchored and they still get to act, so clobbering whoever isn't PROT'd up isn't a problem. The only one that still concerns me is the Siren because

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Double Plague Doctor with Blasphemous Vials and maybe something for movement or stun as well if you're really afraid, and Disorienting Blast all day until you swap the crew and the anchorman, then the fight is basically over. And then you can just stack a ludicrous blight on the crew, too.

Azran posted:

Antiquarian coming next week, by the way. Red Hook posted a picture of a run with it and holy poo poo the rewards.

that looks almost identical to a normal loot run for me though???

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
When fighting the Drowned Crew another strategy than the knockback strategy is a stun strategy. The anchorguy can be stunned by a character stacking +stun trinkets, which gives you basically a free round to whale on the boss. The Plague Doctor is excellent for this, since she can stack blights on rounds where she's not stunning the anchorman. The Crusader is an excellent choice for DPS because he not only gets bonus damage vs. the boss, his combination of Holy Lance and Smite lets him attack the boss for full damage from any position, making him immune to awkward Hands On Deck shuffling. What are you planning on doing with the Man-at-Arms? I suppose his guard gives you an emergency way to protect someone low on health, but he doesn't contribute much to your damage. I'd swap him out for a Graverobber or some such. Occultist is fine for your healer. Vestal would be fine as well, but Occultist will probably be more helpful in the fights leading up to the boss.

e:

Azran posted:

I'm not super impressed? For a long champion-level dungeon where you're throwing away all heirlooms that's not really an outlier amount of loot.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Did it get delayed? I thought it was still dropping tomorrow.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
They also released her backstory comic, and in it she apparently shanks a dude for some loot? I don't know, someone'll have to explain it to me I think.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I think she's a cultist? Or the censer is evil and somehow possesses her One Ring style?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
They really should make those comics more than one page

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Uhh, it reads to me like "she used to be a cultist but then she had a change of heart right before a human sacrifice and she shanked the gently caress out of the head cultist guy"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, I don't understand the comic either. Also re: rewards, I haven't ran any Champion dungeons yet besides from killing bosses so I had no idea that was expected :v:

Regarding the release date, they said "next week" yesterday, so it can be either this week or the next one.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Some of these comics don't make a lot of sense. I'm still not sure what's going on with the Man-at-Arms' one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Uhh, it reads to me like "she used to be a cultist but then she had a change of heart right before a human sacrifice and she shanked the gently caress out of the head cultist guy"

But then she kills the woman sacrifice? I think?