Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Could also be saving that for when we see Fain again, show how he got like he eventually does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Intruder posted:

I think she did mention that the binder would have reduced her lifespan though? At least in a passing way, like an early hint to the reader that the oath rod was cutting years off the AS lives

She did mention it in the book. She implies that to a lot of people in the age of legends it was basically a death sentence for channelers because it cut so much time off their lives, and it was definitely a known effect then even if it was eventually forgotten. It was about the only way they had to stop channelers who were dangerous short of stilling them though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A while back someone posted an army song that Jak o' the Shadows is meant to be sung to.
Does anyone remember what it is?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A while back someone posted an army song that Jak o' the Shadows is meant to be sung to.
Does anyone remember what it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7RPjQxjmA

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes! Thank you!!

I really hope we see this in the series

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Two versions, minimum--the marching version, and a shanty version.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I was going to say a regular version, then later on the "follow Lord Mat whenever he calls" version. I loved that touch in the books.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

why would anyone want to watch reaction videos

I like watching geeky reaction folks because they're very entertaining and watching stuff with friends in real life for the most part anymore isn't possible between covid and friends moving away?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LionArcher posted:

I like watching geeky reaction folks because they're very entertaining and watching stuff with friends in real life for the most part anymore isn't possible between covid and friends moving away?

It's all fake, including reactions, cause they're trying to make money. That's why it's weird.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the singing seems weird to me so far. something in the inflection. hated thom's song honestly

Barreft posted:

It's all fake, including reactions, cause they're trying to make money. That's why it's weird.

TV shows are fake too. because theyre trying to make money. but i know what you mean, i accidentally saw a few seconds of wheel takes' reaction instagram vid thingy and ali's MIND BLOWN LIKE A CHILD ON XMAS SEEING AN ALIEN FOR A PRESENT act made me embarrassed

Brolander fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 25, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

usually I hate songs in shows. I thought thoms was bad. it seems like someone told his actor Thom is a gleeman so he took that to mean he has to smile all the time. weep for manetheren was weird and out of place but it was catchy at least

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Brolander posted:

the singing seems weird to me so far. something in the inflection. hated thom's song honestly

TV shows are fake too. because theyre trying to make money. but i know what you mean, i accidentally saw a few seconds of wheel takes' reaction instagram vid thingy and ali's MIND BLOWN LIKE A CHILD ON XMAS SEEING AN ALIEN FOR A PRESENT act made me embarrassed

Oh yuck that sounds bad.

I stopped listening to the Wheel Takes' book episodes at the beginning of book 2, just couldn't get over the twee silliness. However, I decided to try their Episode 1 TV show reactions. It was much better! They were able to speak to actual interesting things like knowledge of writing for TV, and that was way better than "Knife lmao" or whatever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, as a different opinion, I'm nearly to present having gone through the entire archive and still really like wheel takes. To each their own. I liked Thom's song too!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I liked the song. Also Thom. Even if he's not as old as I imagined, he's good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thom's song was pretty much the only thing I didn't like in the first three episodes, but w/e because not every song can be a banger

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CainFortea posted:

Not necessarily true.

"That we sear these oaths, that we are known to be bound, allows the nations to deal with us without fearing that we will throw up our own power, the One Power, against them. Between the Trolloc Wars and the War of the Hundred Years we made these choices, and because of them the White Tower still stands."

Sheriam explaining the oaths to Nyneave in The Great Hunt.

Of course this is all subject to the whole unreliable narrator thing. The wiki says that the Companion says that the three oaths were all in place by the end of the trolloc wars. But as far as I know, it doesn't say anything about the no weapon oath being right after the breaking.

My source was the Behind the Wheel of Time book (which is what Tar Valon Library references). Interesting that there is a conflict between two canonical sources.

buffalo all day posted:

So, the AMA is actually great and addresses a lot of concerns that folks ITT have raised. Rafe is definitely down to answer real, serious questions. Highly recommend reading it, it’s in r/television.

drat it now I have to look at Reddit - When I touch it, it makes ME filthy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked Thom's song in the episode. I was disappointed though that Thom didn't show up earlier in the story.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Baby (girl, I know you wanna show da na da na)
That Thom Th-Thom, Thom's song
I like it when the beat goes (da na da na)
Baby, let your channel flow (da na da na)
(Girl, I know you wanna show da na da na)
That Thom Th-Thom, Thom's song

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Chiming in: I loved the Manetheren song and didn’t like Thom’s song.

Should I have recognized the crystal the Aielman had? It didn’t ring any bells.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Thom should only sing dirty limmericks

There once was a guy from Cairhien
No one agrees how to pronounce it so I can't finish this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm about a quarter of the way into The Great Hunt. I have no idea where this is going. Padan Fain stole Mat's dagger. They name Rand A Thor the dragon reborn very early on in the story. Kind of curious how Rand is going to learn to channel if he has no male channlers to help him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hollismason posted:

Kind of curious how Rand is going to learn to channel if he has no male channlers to help him.

It starts with a cold larder full of crab meat.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Prairie Bus posted:

The Aiel are big on looting shinys, might just be that

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rand is the Robert Jordan stand in so he doesn’t need a trainer. He just pulls spells out of his rear end.

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

Prairie Bus posted:

Someone else in one of the threads was saying it could be an early sign of the daggers influence. The only character we see react to it is Mat, and a town of downtrodden miners isn't going to leave a precious gem that size unlooted, so it's possible the gem is all in Mats head.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I liked Thom's song, but I don't think it made any sense as a song to sing for a bunch of world weary miners. Should have been a drinking song everybody sang along with, and save the sad Dragon song for after he understands why the boys are mixed up with aes sedai.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Invalid Validation posted:

Rand is the Robert Jordan stand in so he doesn’t need a trainer. He just pulls spells out of his rear end.

uh those are LTT's memories :v:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
There is an astonishing amount of terrible art on the Wheel of Time wiki. Holy poo poo.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There is an astonishing amount of terrible art on the Wheel of Time wiki. Holy poo poo.

you can't say something like that and not post examples

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There was a whole rear end official book of bad art, wasn't there?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pleads posted:

There was a whole rear end official book of bad art, wasn't there?

Hell yeah there was. The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, or The Big White Book (Of Bad Art).

I love that hideous thing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thoms song is no 'toss a coin to your Witcher' but it's whatever. Really excited for the rest of the season

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

MinorRed posted:

Someone else in one of the threads was saying it could be an early sign of the daggers influence. The only character we see react to it is Mat, and a town of downtrodden miners isn't going to leave a precious gem that size unlooted, so it's possible the gem is all in Mats head.

that would make sense I guess

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MinorRed posted:

yeah, i wondered about the unlooted corpse too

the show used the same thing in its opening scene, so it might hold water

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dr. Clockwork posted:

using wikis is cheating, they're all like that

where wot stands out is that they made an official book that had only bad art

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mrking posted:

I liked Thom's song, but I don't think it made any sense as a song to sing for a bunch of world weary miners. Should have been a drinking song everybody sang along with, and save the sad Dragon song for after he understands why the boys are mixed up with aes sedai.

It's actually setting up Thom quite well. He's a court bard who genuinely shouldn't be playing taverns. He performs in High Chant at every opportunity, dropping into Low Chant when he has to. If you asked him to do a drinking song he'd tell you to gently caress off and hire a busker.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Speaking of Thom and the Big Book of Bad Art, here's everyone's favorite Gleeman...truly The Man You Can't Forget, even if you want to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

using wikis is cheating, they're all like that

where wot stands out is that they made an official book that had only bad art

Apparently the artist was contracted for six line drawings in black and white and then suddenly had to do a whole book in color

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Devorum posted:

Speaking of Thom and the Big Book of Bad Art, here's everyone's favorite Gleeman...truly The Man You Can't Forget, even if you want to.

Now I get what Moiraine saw in him, mrawr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Chomposaur posted:

Now I get what Moiraine saw in him, mrawr