Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I have a Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound card (I know, I know) and any audio I throw at it either through line-in or through the microphone has about a 200-300 ms delay. This obviously makes multi-track recording a pain in the rear end, as well as monitoring levels with headphones. Google tells me I should "increase the buffer" on the sound card. I'm on Vista Business 64. Other than the delay, the sound quality of my "gaming" sound card is more than acceptable. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Edit gently caress never mind, you're using Vista. Someone else know the answer?

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 17, 2008

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
What's the answer on XP? I can usually figure out what the Vista equivalent is.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Vista's audio system was revamped, so answers for XP don't necessarily translate to Vista.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm aiming to replace an antiquated Boss BR-532 recorder with an entry-level Pro Tools LE setup, and I never need to record more than two things simultaneously- is the Mbox 2 Mini a reasonable candidate, or should I be looking at the regular Mbox 2?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

infiniteseal posted:

A macbook pro is more than capable of running those programs no problem. I was running ProTools, a bunch of VSTs, Reason and GarageBand on a Powerbook.

I'd say something is wrong but it ain't the soundcard. Could be the keyboard, you might want to try a different keyboard. Try resetting the keyboard too, that might help.

Honestly I'd still wonder about the latency of using the onboard MAC audio drivers, that and the current OS that he's using.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

nimper posted:

Vista's audio system was revamped, so answers for XP don't necessarily translate to Vista.

Well, anything would help. I'm pretty technically capable but I'm not familiar with audio input on Windows.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

RivensBitch posted:

Honestly I'd still wonder about the latency of using the onboard MAC audio drivers, that and the current OS that he's using.

I'm using OS 10.4

I turned off airport and that solved a lot the problems. Latency is set at 256. Would buying a better sound card help me? I want to emulate multiple software instruments. Also I have this m-audio usb interface, is this a soundcard?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

nimper posted:

Yeah that's fine. 192khz recording is a little overkill (most studios use 96khz) but new technology yay!

What DAWs can handle 192kHz besides Pro Tools HD?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

oval office Puncher posted:

None that I know of, which is why I said most studios use 96khz.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I downloaded the ASIO driver to try screwing around with buffer settings and whatnot but to no avail. I put the buffer sliders as high as they could go and tried my test again.

Here are the buffer settings:

Here is the test audio (record a metronome, record a second track that is recording the original metronome track, mix them together): Tindeck hates me and keeps timing out. I'll try and get an example up.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Many? RME and MOTU come to mind.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

RivensBitch posted:

Many? RME and MOTU come to mind.
RME, like the guys who make Hammerfall cards and stuff? They have a DAW now? :wtc:

Anyway I guess I should have specified PC DAWs as I'm stuck on XP until the house is built. Just wanna mess with it and see if I can hear the difference.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Nuendo supports 192, as does Live

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm using OS 10.4

I turned off airport and that solved a lot the problems. Latency is set at 256. Would buying a better sound card help me? I want to emulate multiple software instruments. Also I have this m-audio usb interface, is this a soundcard?

You might want to check out the SH/SC and ask in there to see if there's a way to diagnose if there's a problem with the machine. I've used a powerbook for years with no audio problems (aside from maxing out the CPU) and my girlfriend's macbook pro ran circles around that machine.

Check out the mac threads in SH/SC and see if there's an issue with the machine. Garageband especially shouldn't be acting up.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

jwh posted:

I'm aiming to replace an antiquated Boss BR-532 recorder with an entry-level Pro Tools LE setup, and I never need to record more than two things simultaneously- is the Mbox 2 Mini a reasonable candidate, or should I be looking at the regular Mbox 2?

It depends on what you're trying to record. The second input on the Mini is line/DI only so you wouldn't be able to use 2 mics at the same time. If you only need to use one mic (or none) then this should be fine for you.

Also be aware that there's no MIDI input so if you're planning on using any MIDI devices that are not USB you wouldn't be able to use the Mini. You can get little MIDI inputs for pretty cheap though, I think.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Elder posted:

It depends on what you're trying to record. The second input on the Mini is line/DI only so you wouldn't be able to use 2 mics at the same time. If you only need to use one mic (or none) then this should be fine for you.

Would I be able to use the second line/DI input with my Art Tube MP preamp? I bought that back in the way to supply phantom power to my NT-1, and I still have it kicking around.

I imagine that would work, I think, although I don't know if that line/DI is expecting a preamp in front of it.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

jwh posted:

Would I be able to use the second line/DI input with my Art Tube MP preamp? I bought that back in the way to supply phantom power to my NT-1, and I still have it kicking around.

I imagine that would work, I think, although I don't know if that line/DI is expecting a preamp in front of it.

Yeah, that should work just fine.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

mike- posted:

Nuendo supports 192, as does Live

As does Euphonix, studer, and other pure "DAW" systems.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Elder posted:

Yeah, that should work just fine.

Cool, thank you for your help!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Reaper can also handle 192khz (and higher apparently if your hardware supports it).

Fortissimo
Apr 7, 2007

nimper posted:

Yeah that's fine. 192khz recording is a little overkill (most studios use 96khz) but new technology yay!

would i be able to set it to 96 or something? I have no idea what this is does it mean I can't use normal recording programs?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fortissimo posted:

would i be able to set it to 96 or something? I have no idea what this is does it mean I can't use normal recording programs?
The recording program will use what you tell it to. If it supports 192khz then go crazy.

Mr. Bojangles
Nov 6, 2003

I'm special
So special
I recently bought a Tascam DR-1 to do little live recordings and hopefully a demo of a recent two-man punk-rock project. As I'm new to the world of home recording, does anyone have any recommendations on silencing drums on a track that contains guitar and vox as well? It's a nice little recorder with good-quality directional mics for the size and price, but if anyone's familiar with the DR-1 and can offer advice for high-volume recording, I'd appreciate it!

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Silencing drums? My advice is to give the drummer a $20 and send him on a beer run. If your audio is already recorded with drums mixed in, you wont be able to remove them.

Mr. Bojangles
Nov 6, 2003

I'm special
So special
Whoops, incorrect choice of words. I meant quieting the drums, not cutting them out entirely.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Then you'll have to use an EQ and your ears, but I'm predicting you wont really be happy with your results.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

Seems like some heavy compression might bring down the peaks and even things out a bit. But yeah, there's not really a whole lot you can do.

iamlark
Feb 24, 2007
huh?
Record it again but take special care to isolate the sounds you want.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

And not to beat this dead horse too much, but my golden rule of audio is: "Acoustic solutions for acoustic problems". If something is too loud in your mic, the first question isn't "well what kind of plugins can I get to fix this?"

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

I recently got an iAxe USB guitar. Well, it's a regular guitar also but it has USB output so I can run effects on my laptop. I'm using Guitar Rig 3 now and it works fine. Unfortunately, I can only hear the guitar effects by hooking up headphones to the guitar itself. So it's going guitar -> pc -> guitar -> headphones.

This is ok but I'd really like to be able to hear the guitar through my PC (WinXP) so I can play along with music on my PC. Basically, I want to be able to hear Guitar Rig's output via my PC speakers. This seems like a really obvious thing to do but I can't find any instructions explaining how to set it up (assuming it's possible). Can anyone help?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Using a M-Audio MobilePre, I tried to record a guitar in Ableton. However, the signal only appeared in the left channel. Given that the 1/4" TRS inputs are, and I quote from M-Audio, "2 high-impedance instrument/line inputs (balanced/unbalanced 1/4” TRS)", does this make sense? If so, how?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Abel Wingnut posted:

Using a M-Audio MobilePre, I tried to record a guitar in Ableton. However, the signal only appeared in the left channel. Given that the 1/4" TRS inputs are, and I quote from M-Audio, "2 high-impedance instrument/line inputs (balanced/unbalanced 1/4” TRS)", does this make sense? If so, how?

Guitars are mono, just have the track convert Mono to Stereo.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

xdrquinnx posted:

I recently got an iAxe USB guitar. Well, it's a regular guitar also but it has USB output so I can run effects on my laptop. I'm using Guitar Rig 3 now and it works fine. Unfortunately, I can only hear the guitar effects by hooking up headphones to the guitar itself. So it's going guitar -> pc -> guitar -> headphones.

This is ok but I'd really like to be able to hear the guitar through my PC (WinXP) so I can play along with music on my PC. Basically, I want to be able to hear Guitar Rig's output via my PC speakers. This seems like a really obvious thing to do but I can't find any instructions explaining how to set it up (assuming it's possible). Can anyone help?

The guitar is basically an ASIO audio interface. Most audio applications will only use one ASIO driver at a time, so if you want to use the USB audio FROM the guitar, you will be stuck with the guitar's USB audio out, in this case the headphone jack. You could always connect some powered speakers or a mixer to the headphone output on the guitar, just be careful not to crank the headphone out so hard that it damages the line input on your powered speakers. Does guitar rig let you load audio onto other tracks for playback? If so then you should be able to mix them into the output from the headphone output, otherwise you might want to find another DAW application (like ableton live, cubase etc cubase). I think you can then run guitar rig as a plugin within that DAW application, and then you can play along with music by loading it into an audio track.

Abel Wingnut posted:

In Ableton, when recording with a stereo input, your first input goes to the left channel and the second goes to the right. Change the input from (1/2) to (1) and your guitar should record in mono.

^^ There's no need to convert anything if you set up the channel right in the first place :)

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I'm thinking about selling my student version of Logic Studio 8. I bought it in the spring planning learning it, but my plate is just too full right now. It's in good-as-new condition. Any takers here before I head to SA-Mart or GearSlutz?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I want a sampler to go along with a drum set. I want one that lets me use flash memory. I don't want it connected to the computer. Is there anything besides a lovely roland that uses compact flash? I want one to use with sticks. Like the Alesis Performance Pad, but open for adding all the samples I want? Does this exist?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Q: If I have friends over to jam on guitars/bass/keys, is it possible to route each instrument into a PC running multiple instances of Guitar Rig as well as some soft synths and then out through a single pair of monitors? Or should I bite the bullet and buy separate amps for each instrument?

I'm using Guitar Rig and Amplitube pretty much exclusively for guitar and bass these days, and when I get my studio set up I'm hoping I can launch separate instances and mix the output to a single set of monitors, rather than having to blow a wad of cash on separate amps for each instrument. Would I be able to easily accomplish this using, say, a Power Mac, Digidesign 003 and Pro Tools?

Teofil
Dec 16, 2006
My brother and I want to do a live recording of drums, guitar and vocals. I'm not exactly the most experienced person in this area, I've recorded a few things here and there but I need some help to do this. I have a Eurorack UB1222Fx-Pro mixing board and I have a Lexicon Omega recording interface, and I guess basically my question is...is there a way that I can individually mic each drum, run my guitar into the board, and two vocals all at the same time, then dump all that through the interface and record? (I have Cubase LE4). I think that there is a way to do this, but as I said before I'm pretty inexperienced in doing this so if anyone can help me out a bit I'd really appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Q: If I have friends over to jam on guitars/bass/keys, is it possible to route each instrument into a PC running multiple instances of Guitar Rig as well as some soft synths and then out through a single pair of monitors? Or should I bite the bullet and buy separate amps for each instrument?
What you're wanting to do is possible, sure, but why don't your friends have their own gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link
I have a simple, noobish question. What harm, if any, could come from me recording to an external USB drive that also contains all my sample libraries? Does anyone else here use a setup like that?