Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Terminus Est posted:

I've had enough loving rocks and giant bugs smack my face that I can't imagine the terror of riding without full face protection.
It feels like getting punched when a bug hits your helmet. It's well and good to look like a tough-guy, but I don't know how the harley types manage their half-helmets without getting bruised and cut up by flying debris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

rope kid posted:

I need some advice on open-face helmets -- other than "don't get them", it's not for me. A friend of mine insists on wearing a 3/4 open-face helmet. She was looking at Fulmer helmets because they come pretty close to the style worn during the era of her bike (early 70s).

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afv2.html

I've also seen the Cromwell classic-style helmets, but I know they aren't DOT certified. Are Fulmer helmets any good? Are there any other good 3/4 open-face helmets of that general style that are better? Thanks.

There are some modular helmets out there that convert from full face to 3/4 face. On the plus side they look like jet fighter helmets when you remove the chin guard.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/airoh-tr1/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/givi/x-01/

These are they two 3/4 helmets I like:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/schuberth-j1/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/dainese/jet-stream-tourer/

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
This shark helm is a pretty awesome open face helm and it also closes to a closed face as well.
http://www.shark-evoline.com/

OptimusMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2008

bung
Dec 14, 2004

If I bought a flip-face helmet I would buy the Roof Boxer but I don't know of any place in the States that sells them.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
I've tried on a couple jackets locally and like the look/feel of the Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 perforated jacket, Anybody have experience with this jacket? Going to be riding a tw200 ~10 miles to work this summer. Temps will get at most into the 90's. Also considering the Icon moterhead jacket, but the Joe Rocket seemed beefier.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/sonic_2_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Anyone seen this? http://www.shark-evoline.com/

Finally I helmet that I can wear when i ride my bike and when I fly my jet. I'd get it for novelty purposes if it weren't so expensive.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Anyone seen this? http://www.shark-evoline.com/

Finally I helmet that I can wear when i ride my bike and when I fly my jet. I'd get it for novelty purposes if it weren't so expensive.

Yeah I saw it three posts above you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Slick posted:

I've tried on a couple jackets locally and like the look/feel of the Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 perforated jacket, Anybody have experience with this jacket? Going to be riding a tw200 ~10 miles to work this summer. Temps will get at most into the 90's. Also considering the Icon moterhead jacket, but the Joe Rocket seemed beefier.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/sonic_2_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

It looks a lot like my Blaster jacket, which I really like.

The snaps that keep the elbow armor in place are crap. I linked to one of my posts on the last page showing the broken snap after 8 or so months of owning the jacket.

That insulated vest is useless, though. It's just a vest, so even with it in, you'll be getting wind coming through the arms. I wouldn't be able to wear it below the high-70's (though I am a bit cold-blooded).

EDIT:
Did you see the Blaster 3.0 in the closeout section?
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/blaster_3_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

It's not perforated, but that mesh torso panel is awesome. I wear mine all throughout the summer. If you're riding in the high 90's often, it'd be a bit warm, but I'm fine up until then. Putting the panels in extends the temp range, though they do let some air in and I wouldn't call it a cold weather jacket.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 1, 2008

ablank
Jan 31, 2004
What's the life span of leather gear? I have Teknic Chicane perforated pants and jacket that I was wearing when I went down with my Katana. There is some rash on them both and some busted stitching and a busted zipper on the jacket. Is that stuff dead or can it be repaired or should I quit worrying and buy new gear? I'm wearing mesh right now for my commute, but want to get back into leather for some longer distance rides.

Here are some pics of the pants and jacket

Stitching on the stretch part on the pants got worn through
http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/d/202021-3/IMG_7993.JPG

lots of abrasion
http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/d/202036-2/IMG_7998.JPG

couple holes in the gradient area (not leather)
http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/d/202039-3/IMG_7999.JPG

zipper is broken about 3" from the neck
http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/d/202030-3/IMG_7996.JPG

http://gallery.12thfloor.com/gallery2/d/202033-3/IMG_7997.JPG

The A* GoreTex boots held up well, a bit of the stitching broke on the leather connected to the hook and loop part at the top of the boot

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Bruinator posted:

The only thing I don't like about the NYC is that it doesn't have any way to connect to a pair of pants.

I guess I'm an idiot, I took another look and the jacket does have a zipper to connect to a pair of pants, I guess I thought it was for the removable liner.

Also, I'm really liking the Shark RSR2:

It's really light, fits well, has a comfortable lining and padded chin strap, and ventilates well while still being quiet, even at freeway speeds. The range of visibility and visor adjustments are great too.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

ablank posted:

What's the life span of leather gear? I have Teknic Chicane perforated pants and jacket that I was wearing when I went down with my Katana. There is some rash on them both and some busted stitching and a busted zipper on the jacket. Is that stuff dead or can it be repaired or should I quit worrying and buy new gear? I'm wearing mesh right now for my commute, but want to get back into leather for some longer distance rides.

Pretty sure it can be repaired if you find a good leather place. The stitching has to be done a certain way to keep the panels together or something. I actually just bought the same jacket (same color too). Did you suffer from any damage?

ablank
Jan 31, 2004

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Pretty sure it can be repaired if you find a good leather place. The stitching has to be done a certain way to keep the panels together or something. I actually just bought the same jacket (same color too). Did you suffer from any damage?

I just had a quarter sized spot of rash on my shoulder where the jacket shifted. It did it's job exceedingly well.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Found a Rivton jacket on E-bay for $75 cheaper than retail, got a 42 which is a size up from the 40 I wear in other jackets and it fits great. Snug without being too tight or small. Has provisions for a back pad in addition to the elbow and shoulder armor it comes with. I wish it had zippered vents, but I like it a lot.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM, Armyman25. I'm glad you found one that fits. In terms of leather jackets, it's very light and breezy. If I suspect that weather will get chilly, I take a hooded sweatshirt with me and put it on underneath the Rivton. It's not much, but it helps.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Bruinator posted:

Also, I'm really liking the Shark RSR2:

Im normally a fan of the styling of Shark helmets, but the front ventilation on the RSR2 just doesn't do it for me.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

rope kid posted:

Sorry I didn't get back to your PM, Armyman25. I'm glad you found one that fits. In terms of leather jackets, it's very light and breezy. If I suspect that weather will get chilly, I take a hooded sweatshirt with me and put it on underneath the Rivton. It's not much, but it helps.

No problem. I'm going to be riding in June and July mostly, so lighter is better.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Recommendation - do not get Bully disc locks. My old lock was looking a bit crappy at the end of last year, and so I got a new Bully lock. I had only used it twice and went to unlock it to put it on the bike again, and it got stuck closed. Key wouldn't turn or anything. I called up Newenough and they said that that had happened to one other guy but he wasn't quite as lucky as me and the lock was stuck on his bike, which was a huge pain in the rear end.

They did hook me up with free shipping and a discount on my new XENA lock though. We'll see how well that one works.

Schnozzberry
Apr 13, 2005
Does anyone know anything about washable gloves? I've had a pair of Alpinestars SP3s (just straight up leather) for about 2.5 seasons now and they smell like something that was buried under a pile of feces for about a week.

I've tried washing them in the machine, soaking them in alcohol, and Febreze. The Febreze removed the smell for about 2 weeks, but now its back in full force.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Schnozzberry posted:

Does anyone know anything about washable gloves? I've had a pair of Alpinestars SP3s (just straight up leather) for about 2.5 seasons now and they smell like something that was buried under a pile of feces for about a week.

I've tried washing them in the machine, soaking them in alcohol, and Febreze. The Febreze removed the smell for about 2 weeks, but now its back in full force.

When I want to clean my SP2s I use a degreasing solution like dish soap or simple green, then use a large amount of lexsol to resoften the leather. They don't smell like new but the don't smell bad either.

Schnozzberry
Apr 13, 2005

PlasticSun posted:

When I want to clean my SP2s I use a degreasing solution like dish soap or simple green, then use a large amount of lexsol to resoften the leather. They don't smell like new but the don't smell bad either.
I've tried soaking them in handsoap and that didn't help much. I'll give dishsoap a try, but I'd really prefer something I could just throw in the washing machine.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I wouldn't soak them I'd just generously apply some soap and then scrub it with a wash cloth making small dime sized circular motions until you stop having grime come out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I just got a pair of racegloves in the mail: Teknic SpeedStars, cost me quite a bit of money.

They feel a bit on the small side, although I've had Teknic gloves in the past, they never seemed quite this tight. Should I expect them to loosen up a bit?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

I just got a pair of racegloves in the mail: Teknic SpeedStars, cost me quite a bit of money.

They feel a bit on the small side, although I've had Teknic gloves in the past, they never seemed quite this tight. Should I expect them to loosen up a bit?

How small are we talking? My race gloves were small when I got them and after a month of wear they stretched out and now they fit like a um... glove.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well, the elastic on the lowerhand is kind of constricting my lower thumb, I'm not so worried about that, but the fingers are all long enough just really stiff and the armoring in the fingers kind of hurts.

This is part of why I like buying used gear :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm in no need of a new helmet, but goddamn I love this Arai design!

PeanutAllergy
Jan 6, 2008

by I Ozma Myself
I have a vintage bike that's green so Black leathers look silly with it. I've been looking for Brown leathers, but I've only been able to find the fake motorcycle jackets and chaps in brown (ie thin leather, no vents, etc.) Anyone find any decent brown leather gear?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

PeanutAllergy posted:

I have a vintage bike that's green so Black leathers look silly with it. I've been looking for Brown leathers, but I've only been able to find the fake motorcycle jackets and chaps in brown (ie thin leather, no vents, etc.) Anyone find any decent brown leather gear?

Vanson will make you leathers in all sorts of colors, though I've no idea how much extra they'll charge you.

Schnozzberry
Apr 13, 2005

PlasticSun posted:

I wouldn't soak them I'd just generously apply some soap and then scrub it with a wash cloth making small dime sized circular motions until you stop having grime come out.
I think the real stinky, dirty part is the inside of the glove, and it's extremely difficult to turn them inside out because of the thickness of the leather. Does anyone own washable gloves and if so what brand/model?

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

FUTURE DARWIN AWARD WINNER
Happy garage sale day everyone!

Picked up a magnetic tank bag and a set of saddle bags for $30 + all the change I had in my pockets ($1.4something).

Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies.

He also had a mesh jacket for sale but I already have one and a Shoei Z-II helmet which was worn and he was asking too much for.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Speaking of mesh jackets, I picked up a Joe Rocket Meteor 4 mesh jacket and rode with it for the first time the other day.. Hoooly poo poo its awesome! I assume its similar to wearing no jacket at all, wind (and subsequently freedom) go right through it, and it'll cpletely tranform my summer riding weather. Plus as an added bonus, the liner it comes with makes it "100% water-proof", though I have yet to test that out.

So, how do mesh jackets typically hold up during crashes? Not leather-caliber obviously, but comparable to textile?

fooquestionmark
Nov 27, 2005

FUTURE DARWIN AWARD WINNER

Fantastipotamus posted:

So, how do mesh jackets typically hold up during crashes? Not leather-caliber obviously, but comparable to textile?

From what I hear poorly, better than a tshirt though.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Fantastipotamus posted:

Speaking of mesh jackets, I picked up a Joe Rocket Meteor 4 mesh jacket and rode with it for the first time the other day.. Hoooly poo poo its awesome! I assume its similar to wearing no jacket at all, wind (and subsequently freedom) go right through it, and it'll cpletely tranform my summer riding weather. Plus as an added bonus, the liner it comes with makes it "100% water-proof", though I have yet to test that out.

They are ok at reasonable speeds, if you're wearing them properly they'll save your skin in an average lowside. But, unlike a majority of leathers, they are usually destroyed or really unsightly/ unwearable afterwards.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
my understanding with mesh is that you'll survive the crash but the jacket won't. they just kind of fray apart and "melt" like a torn rope.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

https://www.ride2die.com has some excellent pictures of what happens when you crash wearing mesh.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

https://www.ride2die.com

I see what that guy's doin', but God drat does someone desperately need a website designer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Uthor posted:

I see what that guy's doin', but God drat does someone desperately need a website designer.

Those riding in jeans pictures and at the very end are just wow.

Anyone had experience with these guys? http://corazzo.net/?q=node/14 I'm buying a scooter, (yes point and laugh) and safety is a big priority. Definitely doing full face mask and gloves and jacket and some form of lower body protection. I'm a girl so it is harder to find jackets that don't look like some bleach blonde lady with DD cups is going to wear it. My little 50cc won't go past 45mph. I am willing to ditch corazzo for something safer and cheaper.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Those riding in jeans pictures and at the very end are just wow.

Anyone had experience with these guys? http://corazzo.net/?q=node/14 I'm buying a scooter, (yes point and laugh) and safety is a big priority. Definitely doing full face mask and gloves and jacket and some form of lower body protection. I'm a girl so it is harder to find jackets that don't look like some bleach blonde lady with DD cups is going to wear it. My little 50cc won't go past 45mph. I am willing to ditch corazzo for something safer and cheaper.

I crashed in a Corazzo jacket at about 20-25 mph and got pretty rashed up. The jacket survived well, but the armor+mesh combination on the inside was really abrasive, and it shredded my elbow. I was wearing jeans at the time, and the road rash on my knee ended up looking almost identical to the armor rash on my elbow and forearm. Part of this is because the jacket only secures with a single button at the wrist, and in a crash, those buttons pop, allowing everything to slide around.

I feel like with better armor, and a more secure wrist strap, the jacket would have been great. None of the material ripped or scuffed, and it was still wearable afterwards. They make decent looking jackets that are better then nothing, but I would hunt around for something else if you will be doing a lot of riding.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Good lord for that price you could find something and TAYLOR it to fit better. Newenough has a pretty good selection of things for chicks, I got the red Roxie leather jacket for a steal at like $75 + shipping. It fits pretty well, as evidenced in a few of the pictures in the Relay thread. You'll have to scroll a bit, BUT you can see that although it gaps at the boob, it doesn't really look bad. And you also have to understand that as long as you're safe, it doesn't really matter WHAT you look like.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 12, 2008

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wzm posted:

I crashed in a Corazzo jacket at about 20-25 mph and got pretty rashed up. The jacket survived well, but the armor+mesh combination on the inside was really abrasive, and it shredded my elbow. I was wearing jeans at the time, and the road rash on my knee ended up looking almost identical to the armor rash on my elbow and forearm. Part of this is because the jacket only secures with a single button at the wrist, and in a crash, those buttons pop, allowing everything to slide around.

I feel like with better armor, and a more secure wrist strap, the jacket would have been great. None of the material ripped or scuffed, and it was still wearable afterwards. They make decent looking jackets that are better then nothing, but I would hunt around for something else if you will be doing a lot of riding.

That's sad to hear. I was gonna say the 1000 denier Cordura and CE armor are better than 90% of the jackets I see out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

teknicolor posted:

Good lord for that price you could find something and TAYLOR it to fit better. Newenough has a pretty good selection of things for chicks, I got the red Roxie leather jacket for a steal at like $75 + shipping. It fits pretty well, as evidenced in a few of the pictures in the Relay thread. You'll have to scroll a bit, BUT you can see that although it gaps at the boob, it doesn't really look bad. And you also have to understand that as long as you're safe, it doesn't really matter WHAT you look like.

Yea I could see they were a little pricey, but I was willing to spend it if I got good recommendations. I did find some things I like on new enough so I'm quite happy I can save the money and be safer. I do like your jacket. Very nice.