Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

wuwu posted:

While I am impressed by the trailer, I will say that I am little peeved that they had to do some shot for shot recreations from the original movie. At best it seems kinda lazy film making and winking at the audiences if that makes any sense.

I certainly hope though there are some intensive and new kills as oppose to just recycling the same kills from before.

Or you could look at it as "well, these are pretty much iconic scenes that play just as well nowadays as they did back then". Let's face it, watching your girlfriend get ripped apart tumbling around on your ceiling is plenty hosed up and surreal no matter what decade it is. I doubt every single kill in the movie is the same, but scenes as big as the claw in the tub and the ceiling death and the dream sequence where Freddy almost comes through the ceiling to kill her, stretching it with him as he gets closer? That stuff's on a level that can still reverberate in audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

timeandtide posted:

What are all of the ways Freddy has been killed? I don't if these are right, but I can remember:

1: don't believe in him
2: heterosexuality
3: burial on hallowed ground
4: show him a mirror
5: ?
Freddy's Dead: bring him into the real world and blow him up
New Nightmare: stab him with his own glove
Freddy vs. Jason: bring him into the real world and cut his head off (maybe)

I guess New Nightmare and 3 do work best, though Freddy's Dead/Freddy vs. Jason (bring him into the real world and kill him there) would probably work best though the actual movies' execution kind of blows.

1. Don't believe in him (didn't work)
2. yeah, gently caress that movie. I don't even remember.
3. Burial (worked.)
4. Gets brought back by a pissing dog. :psyduck:
Killed by Mirror (worked. stupid. Thanks, Renny!)
5. Brought back through dreams of Unborn Child.
Killed by Combo of Attack from Unborn Child (played by "Six Foot Turkey" kid from Jurassic Park) and a hug from his real mother. I dunno what the gently caress...
6. Haven't a clue how he came back. Blown up in Real World (supposedly worked)
New Nightmare: Ancient Demon uses Freddy to come to life.
Killed by being Stabbed by glove, and Burned.
F vs. J: Brought Back through fear created by Jason
Killed by having his Head cut off in real world (Didn't work.)

Yeah. I'm a bit of a fan.

A side note, as I've been watching the entire series (except 2, which I cant' stomach at all. At least 5 and Freddy's Dead are funny bad) and why the gently caress do the films after 3 all end with a lovely rap song? What about Freddy screams Rap?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

timeandtide posted:

What are all of the ways Freddy has been killed? I don't if these are right, but I can remember:

1: don't believe in him
2: heterosexuality
3: burial on hallowed ground
4: show him a mirror
5: ?
Freddy's Dead: bring him into the real world and blow him up
New Nightmare: stab him with his own glove
Freddy vs. Jason: bring him into the real world and cut his head off (maybe)

I guess New Nightmare and 3 do work best, though Freddy's Dead/Freddy vs. Jason (bring him into the real world and kill him there) would probably work best though the actual movies' execution kind of blows.

1) Turn your back on evil (deus ex machina from a throwaway line earlier in the movie)
2) Heterosexuality like you said
3) Yup
4) Evil is shown itself and dies (deus ex machina from a throwaway line earlier in the movie)
5) His mom's spirit put him back into her stomach
6) Yup, and the silly dream demons that were invented for that movie left
NN) That Freddy was bound to the rules of the story or something, and since he inherited some fairy tale stuff, they stuck him in an oven like in Hansel and Gretel
FvJ) Yup

I only liked 3's resolution. In the rest, they just invent something silly for that movie out of nowhere that isn't even developed, but the burial thing was actually cool and made some relative sense.

wuwu
Apr 5, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Or you could look at it as...

That's a good way to look at it though it forces me to ask rhetorically what is the point of the remake then.

I feel a remake of a movie should improve on the original or take ideas from the original and give a creative spin on it. Though I suppose the people involved with the movie kinda shot themselves in the foot because how can you really "improve" on the original Nightmare movie?

Perhaps I'm just jumping the gun on the whole 'IT'S TOO SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL' when there will be new death scenes in place I'm sure. Seeing how it's very bad for business to do a shot for shot remake of a movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

...why the gently caress do the films after 3 all end with a lovely rap song?

By that time wasn't rap getting very popular?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A side note, as I've been watching the entire series (except 2, which I cant' stomach at all. At least 5 and Freddy's Dead are funny bad) and why the gently caress do the films after 3 all end with a lovely rap song? What about Freddy screams Rap?

Eh, what? 2 is hilarious - it's the definition of unintentionally funny. The really giant gay subtext, the weird dancing scenes and bird scenes, it was hilarious. 5 is annoying, overshot, and kind of boring-bad, 6 is also quite irritating to watch. 2 is my favorite to watch now because of how funny it is.

A Nightmare on my Street was a rather popular song (Will Smith's Freddy rap), so it kind of linked the two things.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Darko posted:

Eh, what? 2 is hilarious - it's the definition of unintentionally funny. The really giant gay subtext, the weird dancing scenes and bird scenes, it was hilarious. 5 is annoying, overshot, and kind of boring-bad, 6 is also quite irritating to watch. 2 is my favorite to watch now because of how funny it is.

A Nightmare on my Street was a rather popular song (Will Smith's Freddy rap), so it kind of linked the two things.

Obviously it's all in what you like, but Jessie is the worst main character in a slasher film ever. His girlfriend (his cover story) is pretty awful too.

I just watched 5, and It's so bad it's silly. It actually has some good moments, but it pisses them away as soon as it gets them. The opening dream sequence is pretty fantastic until the whole "Freddy Baby" thing happens, then...Holy poo poo, it goes down hill. The ending cracks me up, because it is Textbook :wtf: "an eight year old visualization of an unborn child vomits a phalic projectile into the stomach of the evil old Pedo, causing the souls of the killed teens to rip the fetus of said evil Pedo out of his body. His mother's spirt traps him in her womb."

Holy poo poo. Who said "Let's make THAT loving MOVIE! YEAH!" Jesus.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Darko posted:

I just rewatched them with a friend recently, and I agree, Freddy's Revenge is the funniest due to how homoerotic it is (like certain 80s action movies) but I also thought Freddy's Dead was pretty hilarious due to how painfully 90s it was.

If anyone here hasn't seen Freddy's Revenge in a while and doesn't get why people call it homoerotic, I highly recommend renting it and playing spot the gay reference (like our hero Jessie, the guy with a neutral name, a girlish scream, a "girlfriend" he never shows affection to until the final scene when he's "turned back" from Freddy, Tina Turner posters on his wall, a "No girls allowed" sign on his door, a game called Probe, and a very close relationship with his a jock guy he met just days before.)

Obviously it's all in what you like, but Jessie is the worst main character in a slasher film ever. His girlfriend (his cover story) is pretty awful too.

I just watched 5, and It's so bad it's silly. It actually has some good moments, but it pisses them away as soon as it gets them. The opening dream sequence is pretty fantastic until the whole "Freddy Baby" thing happens, then...Holy poo poo, it goes down hill. The ending cracks me up, because it is Textbook "an eight year old visualization of an unborn child vomits a phalic projectile into the stomach of the evil old Pedo, causing the souls of the killed teens to rip the fetus of said evil Pedo out of his body. His mother's spirt traps him in her womb."

Holy poo poo. Who said "Let's make THAT loving MOVIE! YEAH!" Jesus.

Did you notice that the asylum exterior is a giant painting? It's mostly notable because the first shot of it is a good 5-10 seconds long in which we see a huge plume of smoke rising from it and it never, ever moves the entire time the shot lasts.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 28, 2009

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

timeandtide posted:

I just rewatched them with a friend recently, and I agree, Freddy's Revenge is the funniest due to how homoerotic it is (like certain 80s action movies) but I also thought Freddy's Dead was pretty hilarious due to how painfully 90s it was.

If anyone here hasn't seen Freddy's Revenge in a while and doesn't get why people call it homoerotic, I highly recommend renting it and playing spot the gay reference (like our hero Jessie, the guy with a neutral name, a girlish scream, a "girlfriend" he never shows affection to until the final scene when he's "turned back" from Freddy, Tina Turner posters on his wall, a "No girls allowed" sign on his door, a game called Probe, and a very close relationship with his a jock guy he met just days before.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977jBCk5qBM&feature=related

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Kid loves sunglasses.

I should probably revisit that movie, just for the hell of it, but I am afraid. so very afraid.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kid loves sunglasses.

I should probably revisit that movie, just for the hell of it, but I am afraid. so very afraid.

Just found the whole movie on youtube and noticed stuff I forgot about like him ripping a guy's pants, showing the guy's rear end, and then wrestling him/rolling with him on the ground. The sadistic coach that hangs around gay S & M joints, all the references to the sex he's not having with his girlfriend, and that's just the first 10 mins.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Back to the Remake for a second...

God drat, how cool is it that Clancy Motherfucking Brown is in this movie? Seriously. I saw him and went "Wait, is that...Holy poo poo, it is."

Awesome. They seem to have done a great job casting this film at the very least.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I like what I see. It's an interesting take for Freddy. The face seems more neutral and without as much character as the Englund Freddy. I could see him coming through that makeup but this makeup seems very anonymous even seeing the unburned Freddy earlier in the trailer. That's going to be a changeup and I'm curious to see how it works (especially considering they'll be franchising this like the other remakes).

I don't know how I feel about how closely it seems to hew to the original's signature sequences. In the various Bay remakes, they've often been close but also diverge at times. I often like the divergences but a well crafted sequence is good no matter what and the original NOES is a marvel of brilliantly conceived scenes all in one movie so there's some great source material there. As mentioned earlier, those scenes will work in any decade and assuming they aren't afraid to use the R-rating to its fullest, there's room to grow.

The other side of the coin is that we've had two decades of people coming up with brainstormed dream kills and a movie coming up with a new stable of them won't exactly be striking new ground.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
If any of you guys read Fangoria, Horrorhound, Rue Morgue or Gorezone, you'll have been seeing a lot of promos and ads for this piece of poo poo:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/1709

netflix finally sent it to me and I watched it with some friends last night. Pure poo poo from one end to the other. Absolutely the worst effort at a horror film I've seen for this decade. horrible special effects, awful acting, and a script barely worthy to be used as toilet paper.

edit: better link for the movie info

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 28, 2009

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
The basic story of "Sick Girl" is the story of Izzy. Izzy's family has no parents. She is 14 years old, has a brother who seems about 19 or so, and a younger brother about 10. Izzy's older brother (with whom she has some very Caligula-like issues) decides to join the Marines to support the family, which sends Izzy off into the deep end. One day, Izzy's younger brother gets picked on by some other boys from his class and so she kidnaps them for some hosed up punishments.

Izzy also does some other random abductions of folks around town and she ends up keeping them in a large barn out behind their house where she tortures them. The tortures might even have been scary if the special effects weren't so blatantly fake and low budget. One character gets a burlap bag tied around their head and neck so that a 'starving rat' (the rat they got for the scene was so :3:, you can tell it wanted to play/or was curious and didn't seem scary in the least) can be put into the sack to chew the victim's face off. After this punishment is over, it merely looks like the character has had a little bleeding acne on their face. Oh, god, I'm terrified! There is also what is probably the most 'scary' scene in the movie where some dude gets his schlong cut off and mounted on a spiked board, which Izzy uses as a crude strap on for some fun with another of the abductees.

I have to stress again how awful the acting was and to boot, Izzy is not even appealing-looking (not that that's a requisite, but, drat, give us something to redeem yourselves Sick Girl production team). I went into this reading all the hype in the mags that made it sound like it was the second coming of American Psycho, only with a teenage trailer trash girl. Ugh, this poo poo was so bad I just have to break this off now. Its just not worth the mental effort of typing out any more words. Stay the gently caress away from this one.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Well, the remake looks promising. In any case, I'm all for Kyle Gallner getting more work. He was one of the best parts of Jennifer's Body and, in a way, is like a young version of today's Johnny Depp. Hell, his character in Jennifer's Body could make a crossover into a Pirates of the Caribbean prequel as a teen-aged Captain Jack and it would be seamless.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bad movie knight posted:

Well, the remake looks promising. In any case, I'm all for Kyle Gallner getting more work. He was one of the best parts of Jennifer's Body and, in a way, is like a young version of today's Johnny Depp. Hell, his character in Jennifer's Body could make a crossover into a Pirates of the Caribbean prequel as a teen-aged Captain Jack and it would be seamless.

I atually like him too. He acts the same in every movie, but there's something likeable about the character he plays.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Darko posted:

I atually like him too. He acts the same in every movie, but there's something likeable about the character he plays.
Y'know, I've seen several films in which he acted, and yet I guess I never noticed him before Jennifer's Body.

He still seems fairly talented.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Every time I see him, all I see is Beaver Casablancas.

This isn't the worst thing in the world to me, unless he ever goes for a lead role in a drama. Because I'll just think, "you blew up Steve Guttenberg".

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

tvb posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but what do people know about Human Centipede? I'm not usually into so-hosed-it's-scary horror, but this concept it just so bizarre and off-putting that I'm curious as to how it holds up in a feature-length movie. I can't imagine that there's much to be seen.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/27/barf-city-clip-from-the-human-centipede-one-of-the-grossest-movies-of-all-time/

It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at, but good god that's disgusting. That couldn't have been pleasant for the actors either.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Back to the Remake for a second...

God drat, how cool is it that Clancy Motherfucking Brown is in this movie? Seriously. I saw him and went "Wait, is that...Holy poo poo, it is."

Awesome. They seem to have done a great job casting this film at the very least.

This is what I thought as soon as the trailer started. Even if the remake isn't the most original thing it sure does have a great cast behind it. I also liked how Freddy's voice is kind of weird since he obviously can't talk right since his lips have been burned off.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

I just read Cold Prey 3 is in production. Looks like it's going to be a prequel. I Think Cold Prey 1 and 2 are one of the best made slasher movies of this decade. Hope they don't gently caress 3 up.
I just watched the first one the other night and thought it was fantastic. I haven't been able to find the second one but I am glad to hear it is good. Honestly after watching the first one I'm not sure where they will go with a direct sequal, but a prequel sounds like a fantastic idea.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

bad movie knight posted:

Actually he looks like he'd be better suited to play Jessie if they remade Freddy's Revenge. I'm not seeing any Depp there at all, but then I haven't seen any movie he's been in...

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tewratomeh posted:

Actually he looks like he'd be better suited to play Jessie if they remade Freddy's Revenge. I'm not seeing any Depp there at all, but then I haven't seen any movie he's been in...
It's not the look in the A Nightmare on Elm Street trailer, it's the posture and the pauses in his Jennifer's Body character. Pretty uncanny performance.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

tonedef131 posted:

I just watched the first one the other night and thought it was fantastic. I haven't been able to find the second one but I am glad to hear it is good. Honestly after watching the first one I'm not sure where they will go with a direct sequal, but a prequel sounds like a fantastic idea.

The sequel just manages to squeak by the first. The plot takes place right after part 1. The survivor is taken the a hospital, the local police find her friends and the killers body and take them to the morgue downstairs. Unfortunatly the killer isn't quite dead yet (Don't ask), wakes up and continues his bloody spree.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cold Prey is loving awesome. I just watched it and I'm in the middle of two as I type this. I'm not sure I dig that the killer is still alive after what he went through considering the rest of the movie(s) really avoid a lot of horrible slasher tropes, but I'm willing to excuse it. My only fear is that this is going to have a Haute Tension ending.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

weekly font posted:

Cold Prey is loving awesome. I just watched it and I'm in the middle of two as I type this. I'm not sure I dig that the killer is still alive after what he went through considering the rest of the movie(s) really avoid a lot of horrible slasher tropes, but I'm willing to excuse it. My only fear is that this is going to have a Haute Tension ending.

I sort of agree but I forgive 2 for having
1. Very well devolped characters
2. Some serious edge of your seat sequences.
3. Some nifty kills

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

I sort of agree but I forgive 2 for having
1. Very well devolped characters
2. Some serious edge of your seat sequences.
3. Some nifty kills

Absolutely. This is the first slasher where there were almost no throwaway cannon fodder characters. Plus they didn't all make stupid decisions. It was a really fresh slasher movie. At least they gave some explanation for why he came back to life though. I appreciate that the movie is trying to stay in the realm of realism.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Just added Cold Prey to the top of my Netflix queue. Doesn't seem like there's a Region 2 DVD available for the sequel, but I found a place online that seems to be selling an all-region DVD. So if I end up really liking Cold Prey I can buy it and also buy the sequel.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 30, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

weekly font posted:

Absolutely. This is the first slasher where there were almost no throwaway cannon fodder characters. Plus they didn't all make stupid decisions. It was a really fresh slasher movie. At least they gave some explanation for why he came back to life though. I appreciate that the movie is trying to stay in the realm of realism.

Which one do you think is better 1 or 2?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

It's not the look in the A Nightmare on Elm Street trailer, it's the posture and the pauses in his Jennifer's Body character. Pretty uncanny performance.

He also gets the best line in Jen's Body too.

"Wanna go see Rocky Horror down at the (Local Theater)"
"I don't like Boxing Movies"
"I...it's not...you know what, gently caress it."

When I saw him in the Elm Street trailer I was like "gently caress yes."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

Which one do you think is better 1 or 2?

Probably one, but I'd say they both flow together really well as one movie. I think the pacing was better in the first one. I really loved the last ten minutes of 2 though.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

BulletRiddled posted:

It took me a few seconds to figure out what I was looking at, but good god that's disgusting. That couldn't have been pleasant for the actors either.

How are they going to get a trilogy out of this?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
MTV are airing a slasher movie called MY Super Psycho Sweet 16.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33848/mtvs-my-super-psycho-sweet-16-premiering-this-month

Dread Central posted:

Here's the synopsis: Madison Penrose gets everything she wants, including her wish to re-open the desolate Rollerdome for her sweet sixteen party. The site of several grisly murders a decade earlier, things become 'psycho' when the killer returns to crash her party.

My Super Psycho Sweet 16 stars Chris Zylka, Juliana Guill, Lauren McKnight, and Matt Angel and will debut on MTV on Friday, October 23, at 10:00e/9:00c.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

MTV are airing a slasher movie called MY Super Psycho Sweet 16.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33848/mtvs-my-super-psycho-sweet-16-premiering-this-month

They did this with a Real World horror movie some years ago. It was HORRIBLE.

Also Wrong Turn 2 might be the most fun I've had with a slasher in a while.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

weekly font posted:

They did this with a Real World horror movie some years ago. It was HORRIBLE.

Also Wrong Turn 2 might be the most fun I've had with a slasher in a while.

Henry Rollins made that movie watchable, if that is the movie I'm thinking of.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Awesome Andy posted:

It is, he was also great in Feast.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Awesome Andy posted:

It had some fun, gory kills and an approach that made it entertaining in general.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Not technically a movie, but there's a new documentary called Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy coming out next year that I'm pretty excited about. It's made by the same guys that made His Name Was Jason (obviously about the Friday the 13th movies) that was supposed to be really good, though I haven't seen it, not being that big of a Jason fan. It's being filmed at the moment and should be out spring of next year. Word is the disc will have an additional 4 hours of extra features as well. I was less than thrilled with the remake trailer so this gives me something to look forward to in case the remake sucks as badly as I suspect it will.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Anyone going to check out The Stepfather. Personally I have no interest. Prom Night was the one slasher movie that just pissed me right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I just watched Cold Prey 1 and 2...overall, they're stylish, back-to-basics slasher films, but they might be a wee bit overrated simply because they're foreign.