Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
In Bambino there's a bit where the main character, despite being a skilled chef and (at that point) having experience working in the kitchen of the restaurant he's working at, is asked to work as a waiter so that he can directly interact with customers. This is framed less as a "learning your place" or a pride thing and more so that he understands what's going on in the restaurant itself, so that when he's in the kitchen he can better accommodate the waiters and customers so that the staff is working together as a whole.

I've never worked in any sort of professional kitchen so I'm probably talking out of my rear end, but it seems to me that Erina immediately launching herself to a management position would mean that yeah, she might be helping the chefs make strictly better food, but that doesn't mean she can make a better experience for the customers or keep her staff from getting demoralized or overworked. What if a particularly important (read: rich/powerful) customer demands to see the chef? Is she going to have any idea how to deal with them without pissing them off? She might have connections now, but is Grandad Stripper gonna mean anything if CEO Shithead Picky Eater walks in the door and doesn't like her improvements? Is she going to know how to make it easier on whoever's currently washing dishes without ever having washed them herself, or is she just going to make a big drat mess and consider it someone else's problem?

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the answer is that Erina gets to be perfect and smug all the time until Souma finally shows her up, and I wouldn't expect this manga to go into the kind of detail that Bambino does, but this chapter is just another example of why I don't think Erina is terribly compelling as a heroine or as an antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Probably because that character arc just got assigned to Hisako. :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

In Bambino there's a bit where the main character, despite being a skilled chef and (at that point) having experience working in the kitchen of the restaurant he's working at, is asked to work as a waiter so that he can directly interact with customers. This is framed less as a "learning your place" or a pride thing and more so that he understands what's going on in the restaurant itself, so that when he's in the kitchen he can better accommodate the waiters and customers so that the staff is working together as a whole.

I've never worked in any sort of professional kitchen so I'm probably talking out of my rear end, but it seems to me that Erina immediately launching herself to a management position would mean that yeah, she might be helping the chefs make strictly better food, but that doesn't mean she can make a better experience for the customers or keep her staff from getting demoralized or overworked. What if a particularly important (read: rich/powerful) customer demands to see the chef? Is she going to have any idea how to deal with them without pissing them off? She might have connections now, but is Grandad Stripper gonna mean anything if CEO Shithead Picky Eater walks in the door and doesn't like her improvements? Is she going to know how to make it easier on whoever's currently washing dishes without ever having washed them herself, or is she just going to make a big drat mess and consider it someone else's problem?

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the answer is that Erina gets to be perfect and smug all the time until Souma finally shows her up, and I wouldn't expect this manga to go into the kind of detail that Bambino does, but this chapter is just another example of why I don't think Erina is terribly compelling as a heroine or as an antagonist.

You don't understand. Her food is just that good. It is better than any meal has any right to be. Even if you dislike her dishes, even if you are allergic to them, you will love them. She has God's Tongue you know. That means she's better than the pro's.

(She will probably gently caress up in some way or overlook something and Megumi will bail her out since she is nice. I mean, Megumi's has about as much chance of dropping out here as Erina so she has to do something better than her in order to make a noticeable accomplishment and stay in the academy.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Really the main issue is just her gigantic attitude. If the author wanted to sell her on her skill it would have been easy to just have her go "okay", then wash dishes so drat well that she still has time to do the whole management thing. But because she is an rear end, she just jumped straight to managing the whole place. I guess it technically still fulfills the requirements since the other workers will presumably remember the improvements, but it's so amazingly unprofessional that it's impossible to take her seriously.

As for why you should start from the dishes, it's because no matter who you are you're still new. You may know how a kitchen works, but you don't know how this kitchen works. So instead of just fumbling around for the first few weeks, it's better to start at a low risk position so you can familiarize yourself with the environment. Hence dish washing.

EDIT: The manga didn't draw attention to it, but both Soma and secretary girl started as waiters. Soma quickly changed to cook and secretary girl to dish washer/waiter to fit the situation of course, but the point is that they didn't just go "I am better at cooking than all of you combined, I'm taking over".

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Another thing is the "special event" the whole week is about and Souma and secretary girl are helping the guy actually run a better restaurant by doing things he could easily do. All Erina does is show up, cook the world's best food, then smugly leave. As soon as she's gone and the quality returns to its previous level the restaurant is going to get reamed for the difference.

One of the big differences between world class chefs and Erina is yeah she can show up and makes mind blowing food, but she could never build up an entire team that could follow her lead and function without her presence. By that definition she's a failure of a chef.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 28, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Unless they deliberately forget all the corrections to the cooking process that shouldn't be true.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Kyte posted:

Unless they deliberately forget all the corrections to the cooking process that shouldn't be true.

While true to a degree it is shown that everything is personally tasted by Erina first and they won't have that luxury after she leaves so these differences and corrections are no longer handed out because the "Gods Tongue" isn't available.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They won't be able to improve at the same rate, but I doubt they'll just magically fall back to where they were either. There'll be a noticeable, lasting improvement, which is the goal.

The problem isn't that what Erina's doing isn't helping, it's that she's got an attitude the size of an obese elephant.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

They won't be able to improve at the same rate, but I doubt they'll just magically fall back to where they were either. There'll be a noticeable, lasting improvement, which is the goal.

She basically turned the kitchen into an episode of Master Chef.

I think you're all viewing this from an odd perspective. Erina is actually helping her restaurant improve by tutoring the chefs, something which can last after she has left. Meanwhile, Souma & CO are simply unburdening the staff by supplementing them with their skill which will mean that the restaurant is going back to status quo the moment they leave. I'd be surprised if the next chapter isn't Souma proposing changes that will make them better accommodated to serving the bullet train customers in time and meeting their full business potential.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

She basically turned the kitchen into an episode of Master Chef.

I think you're all viewing this from an odd perspective. Erina is actually helping her restaurant improve by tutoring the chefs, something which can last after she has left. Meanwhile, Souma & CO are simply unburdening the staff by supplementing them with their skill which will mean that the restaurant is going back to status quo the moment they leave. I'd be surprised if the next chapter isn't Souma proposing changes that will make them better accommodated to serving the bullet train customers in time and meeting their full business potential.

Erina was being an arrogant douche about it though. Which isn't helping her become any more likeable.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She's an acclaimed food critic with restaurants lining up to have her, scion of a prestigious cooking family and possessor of superlative taste and excellent skill.

Of course she's gonna be arrogant as gently caress, it'd be extremely odd if she weren't. I mean yes it's grating but doing otherwise would just be bad writing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kyte posted:

She's an acclaimed food critic with restaurants lining up to have her, scion of a prestigious cooking family and possessor of superlative taste and excellent skill.

Of course she's gonna be arrogant as gently caress, it'd be extremely odd if she weren't. I mean yes it's grating but doing otherwise would just be bad writing.

I don't disagree and by most Shonen logic she'll likely get a slight taste of Humble Pie by the end of this arc because of whatever Megumi does for her noticeable accomplishment or whatever. But by God does Erina need to become a better character fast. She's portrayed and built up as the main heroine and rival but pretty much everyone else in the series overshadows her in terms of screentime and personality and the first focus chapter she's had in a long while has her basically just being a boring arrogant jerk. If she's going to be a major part of the series she'll need to become likeable or at least interesting otherwise it's going to be a sour mark against what is becoming one of my favourite ongoing mangas.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I feel like we're mostly supposed to take Soma's stance on her: "Oh yeah, you exist. You still super wound up? Yes? Oh well okay then, see you some other day."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It goes two ways: either she's a protagonist that we're invested in, or she's an antagonist that we love to hate. I feel the author is trying to play her as both, but that's not working.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like we're mostly supposed to take Soma's stance on her: "Oh yeah, you exist. You still super wound up? Yes? Oh well okay then, see you some other day."

That's pretty much how I feel about her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It goes two ways: either she's a protagonist that we're invested in, or she's an antagonist that we love to hate. I feel the author is trying to play her as both, but that's not working.

When has she ever been someone to be invested in either way.

Souma has only interacted with her like three times. poo poo her cousin has had more screen time than her.

She's obviously set up to be a later mid boss, but that won't happen unless he is in the 10 or he has to beat her to get into the 10. After she gets beat/pushed to the brink then she'll get her character development like everyone else in the series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
She's been on all the promo art and covers for 100+ chapters. She is supposed to be someone we are invested in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New chapter

I guess they're best friends forever now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Shokugeki no Soma - Etoile

A random spin-off starring Shinomiya. Apparently, there is a Tadokoro in every country.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The Tomato of Versailles
Glad to know the spinoff artist keeping with the spirit of the original.

So there's one in every country, huh.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 4, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How did Shinomiya get so popular anyway? I mainly remember him because he kickstarted Megumi's character arc, not for anything he really did himself.

Although it was funny that he was the quintessential French Jerk Chef despite being Japanese.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He's got the bishonen looks and the jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold rival attitude. He's tailor-made for the female fanbase.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not surprised that the whole point of the trainee cooking week is to pass on better practices to the restaurant. Most of the dialogue from the staff was like something straight out of Kitchen Nightmares with the whole "but this is the way we do it we can't change now!" mentality. The whole point of the catering industry is change or die as the market dictates and when doing the same thing isn't working you have to try something new.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just read the recent chapter and I know everyone's been ragging on Erina, but I gotta give her credit for being respectful towards Megumi and letting her voice her opinion to contribute to bettering the restaurant. Granted that isn't much in terms of Erina herself, but it's nice that she recognizes Megumi's efforts and hasn't really looked down on her that much.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
For all her faults and arrogance, she respects effort and talent. She just has a huge beef with those she perceives as arrogant without the skills to back them up, like she initially viewed Souma (after that it was pure stubbornness ofc) and currently sees the head chef.

--

E: Actually a better way to see it is that she basically rates people according to her cooking skill. Low-skilled people are basically peasants and should just bow to their superiors (thus the bit about killing off small cooking clubs back at the beginning, her attitude to the head chef and so on). OTOH she already recognized Megumi as someone of skill, thus she treats her like a proper peer.
Basically she's elitist as gently caress. v:v:v

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Kyte posted:

For all her faults and arrogance, she respects effort and talent. She just has a huge beef with those she perceives as arrogant without the skills to back them up, like she initially viewed Souma (after that it was pure stubbornness ofc) and currently sees the head chef.

--

E: Actually a better way to see it is that she basically rates people according to her cooking skill. Low-skilled people are basically peasants and should just bow to their superiors (thus the bit about killing off small cooking clubs back at the beginning, her attitude to the head chef and so on). OTOH she already recognized Megumi as someone of skill, thus she treats her like a proper peer.
Basically she's elitist as gently caress. v:v:v

Megumi is a Jojo character. Nobody disrespects Jojo characters. Therefore Erina respects Megumi.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Turns out the only thing needed for me to find Erina more likeable was for her to be nicer to the best character in the manga. And honestly I can deal with her just being likeable for now, interesting will probably come once she actually has a match with someone but if she's actually going to be getting more screentime making her appearances likeable will be good enough. Also, it kinda seems to me that the Head Chef was supposed to come off as less reasonable last chapter since he was kind of a jerk this time.

The solution to Arato and Souma's problem was pretty unexpected. Though it kind of makes sense even if it seems like it'll lose a lot of customers since the restaurant was in no way suited for getting a quick lunch before your train. Arato is cool and a way different character than I thought she'd be. Hopefully she'll keep a bit more relevance than Nikumi, I find her a bit more interesting and it'd be a shame if she just became part of the peanut gallery. Though, the manga has actually been pretty drat good at having the periphery characters still do stuff and be fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Turns out the only thing needed for me to find Erina more likeable was for her to be nicer to the best character in the manga. And honestly I can deal with her just being likeable for now, interesting will probably come once she actually has a match with someone but if she's actually going to be getting more screentime making her appearances likeable will be good enough. Also, it kinda seems to me that the Head Chef was supposed to come off as less reasonable last chapter since he was kind of a jerk this time.

The solution to Arato and Souma's problem was pretty unexpected. Though it kind of makes sense even if it seems like it'll lose a lot of customers since the restaurant was in no way suited for getting a quick lunch before your train. Arato is cool and a way different character than I thought she'd be. Hopefully she'll keep a bit more relevance than Nikumi, I find her a bit more interesting and it'd be a shame if she just became part of the peanut gallery. Though, the manga has actually been pretty drat good at having the periphery characters still do stuff and be fun.

It isn't even a stretch that Erina and Tadokoro would get along well because Tadokoro and Hishoko are the same character if you take away Hishoko screaming at Soma for no reason (and Hishoko's hatred for Soma is acquired off of Erina). Not to mention Hishoko nor Tadokoro are roughly the same level of skill at about the same level (they lost at the same part of the tournament arc) and both are quick to defer to Erina.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It isn't even a stretch that Erina and Tadokoro would get along well because Tadokoro and Hishoko are the same character if you take away Hishoko screaming at Soma for no reason (and Hishoko's hatred for Soma is acquired off of Erina). Not to mention Hishoko nor Tadokoro are roughly the same level of skill at about the same level (they lost at the same part of the tournament arc) and both are quick to defer to Erina.

I wouldn't say Arato and Megumi are that alike at all. Arato is far more assertive, confident and kind of smug particularly in the fall tournament while Megumi gets worried way easier, is a lot more gentle and is way cooler with continuous development throughout all the major arcs and rises to the challenge when facing opponents who have more experience than her. I guess they're similar in that Arato's medicinal cooking is sort of similar to Megumi's hospitality, and they're both nice people who think of others when they cook (Erina for Arato and just about everyone for Megumi). Also, I doubt Megumi would kill a live turtle for use in her cooking, seems a bit too hardcore for her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was expecting them to slim down the menu, so seeing them go with something else was neat.

All in all I'd say Soma and secretary girl make a pretty good duo, like most funny guy-straight man pairs. Hopefully she doesn't go the way of Nikumi.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

I was expecting them to slim down the menu, so seeing them go with something else was neat.

All in all I'd say Soma and secretary girl make a pretty good duo, like most funny guy-straight man pairs. Hopefully she doesn't go the way of Nikumi.

Uh,

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Not blushing enough, I'm holding out hope.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So basically, if Erina treated Megumi like a jerk, then she'd be dead to me.

Eh, could be worse, Nikumi got won over by super beef donburi after all...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wouldn't say Arato and Megumi are that alike at all. Arato is far more assertive, confident and kind of smug particularly in the fall tournament while Megumi gets worried way easier, is a lot more gentle and is way cooler with continuous development throughout all the major arcs and rises to the challenge when facing opponents who have more experience than her. I guess they're similar in that Arato's medicinal cooking is sort of similar to Megumi's hospitality, and they're both nice people who think of others when they cook (Erina for Arato and just about everyone for Megumi). Also, I doubt Megumi would kill a live turtle for use in her cooking, seems a bit too hardcore for her.

She eviscerates fish for performance art.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

She eviscerates fish for performance art.

The fish was already dead though.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Angry Grimace posted:

Shokugeki no Soma - Etoile

A random spin-off starring Shinomiya. Apparently, there is a Tadokoro in every country.

the translation of this bothered me a little, they translate "de rien" as "you're welcome" but the term is actually used to mean "It was nothing" showing that the whole scene mimics the first showdown in Shokugeki.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Pyronic posted:

the translation of this bothered me a little, they translate "de rien" as "you're welcome" but the term is actually used to mean "It was nothing" showing that the whole scene mimics the first showdown in Shokugeki.

The effort level of scanlators is usually pretty variable on side series stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, the forcing the reader to sympathize with Erina begins again. At least we're going to see some next level development from Souma at his new apprenticeship.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter up on SJI.

Weird seeing such a short arc after that insanely bloated tournament arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

We could all use a breather arc after such a long arc.