Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Anyone who hasn't read this book got any guesses as to who the love interest is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I'm only skimming the book posts because they make my brain hurt, so I'm just assuming she hooks up with the tree.

I also can't remember what this book is called anymore and can't bring myself to have to look at any of those posts again in order to refresh my memory.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

At this point I'm barely even skimming. What was the last book that couldn't be summarized as "assholes wander around the Xanth countryside rolling on the random pun encounter table for fourteen chapters, then after the last random pun they suddenly get married and the book ends"? I'm thinking it was... none of them at all?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Red Metal posted:

Also, keep in mind that Piers Anthony is still writing these, and the most recent one came out just over a month ago.

I roll to disbelieve. Damnit!

:smithicide:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Anyone who hasn't read this book got any guesses as to who the love interest is?

Male character + female character + go on quest together = at least dating by the end of the book, therefore she will marry the tree, somehow. This happens with other authors, too, but Xanth seems to be worse about not bothering to make sure they get along before they fall in marriage.

If we disapprove of the Zombie King's age being 30 vs Breanna's 15 years, what does that mean we will feel once someone does the math for Justin Tree's age? Isn't he older than Bink?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

If we disapprove of the Zombie King's age being 30 vs Breanna's 15 years, what does that mean we will feel once someone does the math for Justin Tree's age? Isn't he older than Bink?

Yup. He was turned into a tree by Trent during his first coup attempt. So he's at least 15-20 years older than Bink?

I'd say count the generations between them but that's a fool's errand at this point.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Justin is indeed in his, like, 90s. And...well, in theory, Yon Ill Wind was about saving Xanth from a hurricane?

Chapter 6. Dolph is the POV. He finds travel to Pyramid quite strange. They land on the green face, in a jungle, but see no footprints.

quote:

"Maybe that sand will know," Dor said. He walked across toward it.

"Don't step on me," the sand said. "I'm a sand trap." Bink picked up a green stone and tossed it into the sand. A sand bar jumped up and snapped across, pinning the rock. "Oh, you tricked me!" the sand said.

(Pun Count: 133) The sand agrees to help them look.

quote:

The sand humped up and formed into a green man shape. "Sandy Sandman, at your service," it said.

(Pun Count: 134) He tells them to become green by washing in green water. This works.

quote:

Green bubbles formed and rose to the surface around them. As each got there, it popped. "Who are you?" one asked. "Why are you here?" another asked. "Where are you going?" a third one asked.

"Ignore them," Sandy said. "They are just pop quizzes."

(Pun Count: 135)

quote:

Bink emerged from the water and spied a green mint plant. He was about to pick a mint to eat when Sandy spoke again. "Don't. That's a govern mint. If you eat of its fruit, you will have so swear allegiance to it."

(Pun Count: 136) They find some ants to talk to, but Sandy tells them not to bother.

quote:

The ant waved its antennae. "He says far pastures are always greenest," Sandy translated.

"But that's not relevant."

"Exactly. It's an irrelev ant."

(Pun Count: 137)

quote:

Oh. So Dolph focused on the next ant. "Foreigner?" The ant waved its feelers.

"Native," Sandy translated.

"Native?"

"Foreigner," Sandy said. "That's an ant-onym. It always says the opposite of what it hears."

(Pun Count: 138)

quote:

"That's an ench ant. It will enchant you if you let it."

(Pun Count: 139)

quote:

"That's a brilli ant. It is very bright, but won't speak to those it deems dull, which is everyone else."

(Pun Count: 140)

quote:

"Then what kind of ant will do?" Dolph asked, beginning to think about becoming annoyed.

"A reli ant. Maybe several reli ants. You can depend on them. But I don't see any of those here."

(Pun Count: 141) Dolph becomes a roc and they head off. They cross over the border of the blue face, get disoriented, and go back and land. They offer to trade favors with some more sand.

quote:

The sand heaved and humped and formed into a person-like figure. A female one, with a light clothing and dark body. She wore a conical hat and high-heeled shoes. "How about a man?" she asked, and cackled.

She was a sand witch!

(Pun Count: 142) They tell her where Sandy is, though they worry that he won't want to be her boyfriend. She doesn't care, and tells them to use the lings to orient for blue. (Pun Count: 143) They do so. From there, they follow the prints to Pyramid Ida. They're a few hours behind the Zombie Master, who went to Torus. They trade access for information on Dawn and Eve. She tells them about how Torus works. They head to Torus Ida, who tells them that the Zombie Master went to Cone. They head there, and are accosted by Drarphn, a dragon/harpy/goblin crossbreed. All people of Cone are crossbreeds. She demands payment.

quote:

"Pay what?"

"The thumb tax, of course. One blurse for each thumb."

"Blurse?"

"Don't you know anything? A blessing-curse. Blurse. Something useful that still sticks you with its point. If you want to enter this forest, all of you must pay."

(Pun Count: 144)

quote:

"Burn his wings off so he can grow clean new ones," a rock said.

"That's one." Drarphn agreed.

"It is? I mean, for sure." Dolph knew that his strength was in form changing, not brains, but he was finally catching on. Blessings and curses combined Wishes that did good and ill together.

"That s an interesting unit of currency." Dor remarked.

"Who asked you, royal blockhead?" another rock asked.

"That's another," Drarphn agreed. "Royalty and stupidity combined."

This was getting easier, thanks to Dor's talent. "Go stifle in a bed of sweet roses," Dolph said. "Go soak your head until it swells into real beauty. Find a really pretty girl who hates you. And collect so many thumb taxes that you can't sit down for a week."

And so they evnter Evil Prime Forest.

quote:

"We can't pass," Dor complained, wedging ahead.

"Can," a voice came.

"Can't can't," a half buried stone retorted.

A long vine dangled down before them. It sprouted many legs instead of leaves, and the legs began to dance. "Can can," it sang. And the way opened up somewhat.

(Pun Count: 145)

quote:

"A chorus vine," Bink said, recognizing the species "Thank you, vine, you have nice legs." The vine turned from green to red. It appreciated being appreciated.

(Pun Count: 146) They follow the prints, but then lose them. Dolph carries them into the air to look, and they reach Cone's rim. They head inside it, where they find a vast sea. Everyone is loving on the beach.

quote:

Sport? Suddenly he realized that the activity consisted of couples summoning storks. Right in the open, splashing in the fringe of the water, in sight of all the other couples. There were children watching too. Apparently the process wasn't secret, on this world. Could there be a special license right by the shore?

They find they can breathe water and head under the ocean, where Dolph carries them again. They find Cone Ida, who has a horse head and gills. She tells them that the Zombie Master went to her moon, Dumbbell, which Dolph mistakes for the word stupid somehow. (Pun Count: 147) She asks for their help before they go.

quote:

"On this world, folk live either on the outside, or the inside," Ida said "This is the inside, under the water. Our magic is so construed that only couples that straddle the two environments can summon the storkfish."

(Pun Count: 147)

quote:

"In each case, babies are delivered to the couples. If the baby has lungs, it goes with the land parent. If it has gills, it goes with the sea parent But on rare occasion there is an error. That is the cause of my concern."

On Cone, it seems babies appear within two days or there's an investigation. The problem is that the child in this case, Aurora, is not fit to live on Cone.

quote:

The door opened again, and a very shy girl swam out. Her eyes were downcast as if she was ashamed. It was hard to see why, as she was in her upper section a beautiful figure of a human female, and had a nice tail. She was a mermaid. She had red hair, brown eyes, and white wings.

Dolph becomes a winged merman to make her feel better.

quote:

"It's my talent," Dolph said, balancing awkwardly on his tail. "I can assume any living form I want."

"Then why don't you assume the form of a handsome man?"

Then it was Dolph's turn to blush. He hadn't realized that he was unhandsome. Electra had never told him. "I guess I didn't think of it."

"Oh, I didn't mean—I mean—I'm sorry. I'm not socially clever. I haven't had much experience."

Ida wants them to take Aurora with them, to somewhere she can fly and still live in water. She thinks that if some native creature would accept her spirit, she could be brought to Xanth.

quote:

"I saw a winged mermaid once," Dolph said. "At Chex's wedding on Mount Rushmost. But she has lungs."

(Pun Count: 148) Ida mentions that something unhappy has been following them, and it turns out to be the blob from Castle Zombie. It is willing to become Aurora.

quote:

Aurora approached the blob She reached out one hand, tentatively. She touched it. "Oh, I like it," she said "It's just miserable because when the storkfish—I mean the stork—delivered it, it had not been shaped into a creature. It was left as it started, raw material. So its mother dumped it in the forest, throwing it away, where the zombies found it."

She also finds she can form lungs, and heads back to Castle Zombie with the blob. They head on to Dumbbell, where they follow the prints.

quote:

They approached the house. There was Ida, exercising in her garden She was human rather than crossbreed, but was remarkable in another way she was massively muscular In fact she was lifting solid hand weights that were shaped exactly like the planet itself.

They're an hour behind Jonathan, who went to her moon, Pincushion.

quote:

"Oh that's right, you are from another world. I don't know how magic works there but here it is directly related to physical strength. So we all are concerned about our development." She heaved the weights over her head, showing massive arm muscles.

(Pun Count: 149) They head on, following the prints, but there is no fast way to travel.

quote:

"I'll ask around," Dor said He faced down. "Hey pin what's the best and fastest way to travel along you?"

"Password?" the pin asked.

"What do you mean, password?"

"I am a protected PIN I give access only via the right password." Dor paused. Then he said, "Very well. PASSWORD."

"Thank you. The best and fastest way to travel along me is to get the flew." Dolph realized again that the inanimate wasn't very smart. When it heard the word "password" it assumed that this must be the correct one.

"Tell me about the flew," Dor said.

"When you catch it, it makes you sneeze and fly for two minutes."

"Where can we find it?"

"Just stand in the breeze and suck in whatever's there and soon a flew bug will fly by. Make sure you are facing backward."

(Pun Count: 152)

They travel via sneezes, finding Ida, who sends them on to Spiral, where Jonathan went half an hour ago. They find the next Ida, who sends them to Tangle, 15 minutes after the Zombie Master. They decide to just go for the center.

quote:

"Let's try the center first," Dor suggested "That's where Ida is likely to be, so is where he'll be going, as this obviously isn't a zombie world." Dolph flew in to the center, where the worst tangle was. Sure enough, there was a nice little house, and the footprints led up to it. He landed, and they approached. This Ida looked heavyset, as if she had eaten too much pasta. "You missed your friend by five minutes," she said. "Go on after him on Motes."

Her moon was a small cloud of dust They oriented on it, and soon were approaching what turned out to be a cluster of little stones. Of medium stones. Of larger stones. Of great rocks. Of planetoids. In fact, the swarm was made of hundreds of rocky bits each large enough to support a village.

They go hunting and find Jonathan. HJe has no idea what's going on with the zombies, and explains how he plans to find a zombie world and let the zombies dream their way there, since zombies can sleep as long as they like.

quote:

"I certainly hope to. There seems to be an endless chain of worlds, and since they embrace all the realms of maybe, one is bound to be suitable. I mean to locale it, mark it, and establish a direct route to it. Then most of the zombies can get to it within a couple of days."

Dor nodded. "That's not the information we were seeking, but it seems just as good. So we can go home and report that probably the problem will abate before the wedding."

"That seems likely." the Zombie Master agreed.

So they leave, having accomplished nothing in three loving chapters.

Pun Count: 152 by the end of Chapter 6.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Those layers of moonworld are just the most shameless filler chapters I ever did see.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lottery of Babylon posted:

At this point I'm barely even skimming. What was the last book that couldn't be summarized as "assholes wander around the Xanth countryside rolling on the random pun encounter table for fourteen chapters, then after the last random pun they suddenly get married and the book ends"? I'm thinking it was... none of them at all?
Well, the ones with actual child protagonists omit the wedding. So far.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 7. Breanna has headed inside to find the Gorgon rehearsing a nightmare role. Wira informs the Gorgon that Breanna needs protection, for she has to travel with Ralph.

quote:

"Ralph!" the Gorgon exclaimed indignantly "He's the one this dream is for. He is nasty, rude, scheming, selfish, stubborn, cruel, hateful, dirty, and generally reprehensible Why would anyone travel with him?"

"Because he knows the way to the Isle of Women."

"Oh. that." The Gorgon sighed "Then she had better have the protection racket." She reached into her ample bosom and pulled out a tiny toy tennis racket. "Keep this on you at all times, child, especially when you sleep," she said, offering it to Breanna "It will protect you from all physical harm."

(Pun Count: 153) The Gorgon also gives her one of Wira's dresses.

quote:

"Meanwhile you are surely hungry," the Gorgon continued "I have some Gorgon-zola cheese." She lifted a plate from the table.

(Pun Count: 154)

quote:

"I am serious about wearing that racket," the Gorgon said. "Ralph is the kind of jerk who doesn't pay much attention to the Adult Conspiracy."

Don’t protest, Justin advised. Ask her what she means.

It seemed apt. "What do you mean, Gorgon?"

"You look to be about fifteen, so I can't be too specific. But some ilk aren't much concerned if a girl is underage. He might try to summon the stork with you."

She is warned to never lose the racket.

quote:

"However, you could be abused slowly, so do not depend on it overmuch," the Gorgon said. "It is an emergency measure."

"Abused slowly?" There was no answer.

"I think she means seduction." Justin said.

Breanna prepares to sleep, and chats with Justin. He says that he was always single, as he was not handsome, and he wasn't very accomplished, which is why he was fine as a tree.

quote:

"It might have been nice, had a girl like you been interested," he said. "As it was, I did not have much to regret leaving."

She held her pose a moment longer, knowing that he could see her clearly in the mirror, because he saw through her eyes. "You would really have liked a girl like me?"

"Oh, indeed, were she but of age."

"I am of age, by my definition," she said hotly.

"I apologize. I forgot. Yes, I would have liked a girl like you very much."

She had been thinking of color and form rather than age, but concluded that he had answered those too. She was pleased. She wrapped the towel around herself and returned to the bedroom.

After sleeping, Breanna goes to dinner. Justin guides her in proper dinner etiquette. At dusk, Ralph arrives.

quote:

At dusk Ralph arrived. He was a slovenly-looking man in rumpled clothing and a sneer. "So where's this nymph I have to guide?" he demanded.

Breanna opened her mouth, but Justin intercepted her retort before it got out. "Don't get into a war of words with this dragon dung," he advised. "You will only be dragged down to his level."

[...]

He looked at her contemptuously. "A black brat."

[...]

"So what's this nonsense about traveling in the night?" Ralph demanded with a sneer in his tone. "Afraid to be seen by day?"

She opened her mouth, but again Justin got to it first. "Don't let him engage you in argument. He's just trying to make you react, so you will be in his power."

He was right. "Trust a man to know the ways of a man," she said silently to Justin, but with a mental picture of a smile so he would know it wasn't serious.

And so on.

quote:

"So you can disappear in the darkness?"

He was trying to needle her about her dark skin. "Yes."

"You must be good at that."

"Yes." If she had had a cherry bomb, she would have stuffed it into his smirk.

(Pun Count: 155) Ralph asks what Breanna's talent is, and she says she'll tell him if he tells her his. He claims he can't, as he came to Humfrey to get a talent.

quote:

"There more he learns of you, the better he will be able to exploit your weaknesses, so as to have his way with you."

"Way? What way?"

"Stork summoning, for one thing."

"In his foul dreams!"

"To be sure."

"But if the racket protects me from harm—" She paused, suddenly alarmed, remembering the Gorgon's veiled warning. "That is considered harm?"

"Unwilling stork summoning? To be sure Especially considering your age, no offense."

"Okay, so I should be safe if I resist it, and I will. I'm going to go for the information."

[...]

"You seem to be a young woman of many dark silences," Ralph remarked.

There were some verbal digs again. Dark silences for a Black Wave girl. "I have a small brain. It takes time to process big questions."

(Pun Count: 156)

quote:

He laughed, not nicely. "Few things are more appealing than a stupid girl. So have you decided, or do you need another hour?"

She wanted to let him have a dragonfire blast of invective, but stifled it with Justin's help. "Tell me your story."

"When I was young, I seemed to lack a magic talent. At first folk thought I was magically obnoxious, but various tests demonstrated that my personality was entirely natural. So obviously it was the others who did not appreciate my charm and intelligence. Maybe they resented my delightful nature."

[...]

"In due course I tired of trying to discover my talent on my own," Ralph continued. "So I went to see Magician of Information. The challenges were horrific, but I demolished them by detonating cherries and pineapples, and managed to get inside. The stupid sluts of the household wouldn't speak to me so I forged on up to the gnarled old gnome's cell and demanded my Answer." What cheek!

(Pun Count: 157)

quote:

"Humfrey looked up with his fried-egg orbs and grumped, ‘I know why you're here, and I'm not going to help, so you might as well go away now‘ I was of course furious, with considerable justice. ‘I can think of only two reasons why you won't help me,' I informed him forth-rightly 'You are either jealous of my talent, or incapable of discovering it. Both choices show that you are nothing but a pretender and a fool!'."

[...]

"But the over-the-hill Magician responded with faked patience 'I know all about your talent, young man. It is currently residing safely in Mundania with a little boy named Lija I suggest that you count your dubious blessings and go home.’"

"Beware, Breanna, he is walking too close to you."

"I noticed," she replied mentally "I want to see if this racket works."

"'What are you talking about, old man?' I demanded righteously 'How can some homd little brat in Mundania have my talent? No one in Mundania has any magic, as you would know if you weren't in your dotage. That's why we call it Mundania. Even the ogres know that'."

[...]

"Obviously he couldn't refute me, so he changed the subject 'Not all magic is good magic,' he uttered."

"'What are you talking about, imbecile?' I demanded reasonably."

"He is putting his arm around you."

"I know. He stinks. But I want to be quite sure I'm protected, in case he ever catches me off-guard."

"'Some magic that is too dangerous or unpleasant for Xanth is sent to Mundania, where it can be safely disposed of,' he said 'It is the best way to handle toxic waste Somehow your particular talent was strong enough to survive in Mundania despite the extreme thinness of magic there. It took up residence with a small boy.‘ 'So my talent is strong enough to survive in Mundania!' I gloated 'It must be Magician caliber! No wonder you're jealous, you decrepit has-been. I knew I was destined for greatness I don't want some fool Mundane getting the benefit of my talent. How do I get it back?'"

"He is trying to squeeze your pert posterior."

"I can't feel a thing."

"'You are not listening,' Humfrey said, seeming suddenly weary 'Somehow I am not surprised. But trust me you do not want your talent back. My best advice is to leave well enough alone.‘ 'Sure you would say that, you feeble freak. But I'm not going to let you get away with it. Tell me how to get what's coming to me!'"

"Now he is trying to squeeze the left portion of your bosom." There was a more specific word for the region, but Justin was too polite to use it.

"No force is coming through It's as if my dress is armored."

"'You would be better off going to Demon University, crashing Professor Grossclout's lecture on monster evolution, and mooning him. At least then your end would be roasted rapidly. Now go away.‘ 'Not until you get me my talent back, you stunted fraud I DEMAND MY TALENT!’ Finally I got through to the dimwitted midget 'Very well, if that is the way it must be,' he said grudgingly. I will arrange to return your talent to you. But it will take time to accomplish. Meanwhile you must render me your Service.‘ ‘I’ll do that, you overcharging charlatan. What do I have to do.’ 'Return in two days to guide a damsel to the Isle of Women.‘ And so you see me here, guiding you." Ralph concluded his narrative "But before you tell me your story, how about a kiss?"

"Tell him no!"

"No."

"Girls have such quaint ways of saying yes." He put both arms around her, holding her securely, and brought his face down toward hers.

Breanna struggles, but Ralph won't let up. So she headbutts him.

quote:

He stared at her, but evidently decided to let things be for the moment. He didn't know about the protection racket; maybe he thought she had gotten in a lucky blow. So he might try again. But probably not right away. Meanwhile, she had truly verified the power of the racket. Now she felt safe. As long as she didn't cooperate, she could not be damaged.

Breanna tells Ralph her story, and he says he doubts she'll be safe on the Isle of Women but won't say why unless she fucks him, which she won't.

quote:

They passed a hat rack with several nice hats just ripening. Intrigued, Breanna picked a nice black one with a white frill on the top resembling a cresting wave. "A black wave hat," she said, putting it on. It fit perfectly.

(Pun Count: 158) Imbris shows up to tell them what Ralph's talent is.

quote:

The surroundings mostly disappeared, though she continued walking on automatic pilot, and Breanna's awareness devolved on drear Mundania. There was a region shaped like a new jersey, and a town, and a house. Inside the house was a family with a daddy, a mommy, an eight-year-old boy named Lija, and his sister Rachel, who was there for him to quarrel with. By day he had a smile nearly as bright as the sun, and things were great. But everything changed at night.

The moment bedtime arrived, Lija's smile vanished. His head hurt. His neck, shoulders, back, or knees ached. His belly cramped, his chest felt heavy, and his breathing got wheezy. All the misery he had avoided during the day closed in victoriously at night. So of course he was unable to fall asleep without a heroic struggle by his parents.

When morning came, Lija would be perfectly fine and ready for a full and active day. But when bedtime returned, so did his problems Lija called his condition the Bedtime Booboos. His parents had their own name for his condition, but they were very careful never to use it in Lija's presence.

Daddy and Mommy tried to be supportive and understanding, but they soon reached the limits of their patience. Sometimes they would not smile reassuringly when they placed a cool wet cloth on his head.

Sometimes they muttered under their breaths when they massaged his sore limbs and back. Once they even grumpily ordered him back upstairs to get his own cool cloth and then put himself back to bed and go to sleep.

Poor Lija! Not only was he feeling terrible every night, he was also in trouble with his folks. But there seemed to be nothing he could do about it. The Booboos never let him go.

One summer evening as Lija made his nightly announcement that he was once again suffering from Bedtime Booboos, Mommy, for no reason at all, got angry "I'm really tired of these Booboos!" she yelled. "Every night, the same thing over and over again! Your head aches or your throat is sore or your stomach hurts or whatever you can think of to avoid going to sleep."

Now that was an unkind accusation. "I don't do it on purpose," Lija protested in a sad, small voice. "I really don't feel well I can't help it if I can't go to sleep."

"I don't understand your condition, Lija!" Mommy continued. "It seems so convenient that the only thing it interferes with is bedtime. You are fine all day long, and then at bedtime you are suddenly sick." It was almost as if she were suspicious of something. "It's like a magic transformation, one minute well and the next minute sick, and I think you—"

Mommy paused abruptly in the middle of her tantrum. She sat down quietly on the bed next to him, looking very thoughtful. They sat in silence while they pondered the situation.

"Lija," Mommy whispered slowly "I think you have a magic talent."

"I do?" he asked in wonder.

"Unfortunately, I think your magic talent is the Bedtime Booboos."

"But this is Mundania!" he reminded her, as if anyone could ever forget the dreary reality even for an instant. "There's no magic here." Which was of course the problem.

"There's a little bit of magic," she reminded him back. "Remember the beautiful rainbow, that stops you from ever catching up to it. So you must have gotten some of the ugly magic."

It did make sense, but Lija was definitely not pleased. "It's not fair!" he grumbled I'm the only kid outside of Xanth with a magic talent, and I get a stupid one! Now I'm stuck with Bedtime Booboos forever unless I can get rid of this talent."

"I'm afraid so," Mommy agreed "Believe me, I am as annoyed as you are." She seemed really sincere.

"What do people in Xanth do to free themselves of stupid talents?"

"They move to Mundania, and their magic disappears."

"Oh, great! I already live in New Jersey! There is no place more mundane than here. So what do I do—move to Xanth?"

"No!" Mommy cried in alarm. "If your talent is this much trouble in mundane New Jersey, imagine how much stronger it would be in magical Xanth."

The family tried to figure out how Lija had acquired his unwanted talent. Lija supposed that it was the result of a mixed-up delivery by a really confused, overworked, and directionally impaired talent-distributing stork. His sister Rachel defended the stork by claiming that the talent was correctly delivered, it was just that Lija was actually in the wrong place. Daddy proposed that when the demons were disposing of unwanted talents, one of them escaped to Mundania where it hid in Lija. Mommy suggested that perhaps a large giant walking close to the Xanth/Mundania border was struck by a sudden sneezing fit. The poor man sneezed so hard that his talent flew out and went flying into Mundania, where it finally landed on Lija.

Unfortunately, not one of them thought of toxic waste disposal. Since no one could determine either how the talent had come, or how to make it go away, they resigned themselves to living with it as best they could. This was, after all, drear Mundania, where such things were commonplace.

They are all quite happy to learn that Ralph will be getting this but worse.

quote:

"The Good Magician has sent the Demoness Metria to see the Demon E(A/R)th. Humfrey knows the Demon will give any help needed to get rid of ant stray magic, because he hates having his realm polluted with fantasy. He will arrange for the family to receive tickets to Florida so Lija can go to the very spot that corresponds with Ralph's house in the North Village. Then the Demon E(A/R)th will exorcise the talent, and it will be driven back to its natural home in Xanth. In Ralph. He will have his wish."

(Pun Count: 159) Ralph is overjoyed to hear that he'll get his talent, though Breanna doesn't mention what it is. They head on, and for some reason Breanna thinks Ralph might be okay if she told him no firmly enough? And Justin explains that she's naive. Justin convinces her to check if Ralph is spying on her when she pees.

quote:

"If I am correct, he will try to sneak a peek at you. Then you will know that you were not at fault when you struck him."

She does the test, and he tries to peek. Justin explains that such sights excite men, because oh yeah what every man totally wants to see is a lady taking a piss.

quote:

"No, we've already been through that. Just don't comment. I'll pretend I'm alone." She found a place and squatted. "Anyway, you see through my eyes. If I don't look, you don't see right?"

"That is correct. However, you did stand before the mirror, when…"

"I was showing off. That's different."

Breanna tells Justin that, of course, he was right and also that perhaps the Adult Conspiracy was not entirely evil, just mostly so. She decides that it must be reformed, not abolished.

quote:

"All my life, as a man and as a tree, I have been a sensible, principled individual. That has turned out to be supremely dull. You in contrast, proceed from one fascinating dilemma to another. As an adventure, it is marvelous."

Also, he thinks she's hot. They arrive at a beach.

quote:

"How do I get to it? I wouldn't care to try to swim out there."

He sneered. "True. The sea monsters would gobble your delicate dark flesh in a moment. You have to take the boat. It is there by the paradox."

"The what?"

"The paradox. I don't know why it's called that. When you see the isle, go down to that dock you see there and get in the boat. It will take you across."

(Pun Count: 160) Ralph won't tell her how to use it unless she fucks him. She won't.

quote:

"I'm glad to be rid of him," she confided to Justin. "But he did get to me on that business about why the isle won't help me. I was almost tempted to let him touch me, and hope that the protection racket stopped him from going too far. But I wasn't sure it would protect me if I wasn't fighting—you know."

"I admit there could be doubt, if you were indicating that you liked his attention I believe that was the warning the Gorgon was obliquely rendering. I think it was best not to risk it, because if the racket did prevent him from completing his vile design, he probably would renege on giving you the information."

They arrive at the dock, and Breanna decides to nap until the boat arrives. Justin wakes her to tell her that Ralph is sneaking around. He tries to rape her.

quote:

Breanna did it without even thinking. She brought up one foot and planted it in his belly, while clamping her hands on his hands so that he couldn't move them away. Never mind where his hands were: they would be gone soon enough. Then she shoved hard with that anchored foot. It was an adaptation of the stomach throw, that she had learned as a child in a Mundanian judo class. It was performed when Tori, the thrower, was on his back, and Uki, the throwee, was standing or leaning over. Just like this; it was a perfect defense for a girl on her back. She knew she was showing an awful lot of bare leg, but he wasn't in any position to gawk.

Ralph lands in the boat, which sets off despite the Isle of Women not being currently present.

quote:

"Yes. And when the isle isn't there, the boat just goes right on, looking for it. So it really is going nowhere fast."

"That would seem to be a paradox a boat going somewhere in a hurry yet going nowhere."

"Paradox!" she cried, a light flashing over her head. She loved that incidental magic of Xanth. "That's it!"

"I beg your pardon?"

"That's the magic pun. Ralph said this dock is called Paradox. That's pair o' docks, with the boat going between them. That's all it knows to do—to shuttle back and forth. But when one dock is missing, it's got nowhere to go, so it goes nowhere. Somewhere becomes nowhere. Paradox."

Breanna settles in now and heads back to sleep.

Pun Count: 160 by the end of Chapter 7.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Good. loving. God.

Good. loving. God.

Good. loving. GOD.

This is absolutely vile.

Edit: Okay, this is kind of empty content - but I really cannot think of any coherent answer that isn't wishing grievous harm on Piers Anthony.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 27, 2014

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I really wish he'd stop trying to write about rape. Or sex in general. Or race relations. Or gender relations gently caress it I wish he'd just stop writing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 8. Dor wakes up in Castle Zombie.

quote:

Dor put his feet on the floor and stood up. Actually this was no worse than orienting on another dream world. This just happened to be the real one. Or was it? Could the Land of Xanth be on a globe or other shape orbiting the head of some giant Ida? The notion was mind boggling, so he set it aside.

They now have to get Aurora settled, and Millie gives them the jar of sleep spell.

quote:

They went to the other chamber. There was Aurora, sitting on the edge of a wooden tub, soaking her tail in water. She was of course beautifully bare.

"Oh, you are here!" she cried, spying them. "See—I did manage to get lungs, so I can breathe your air." She inhaled, and her chest inflated, causing Dor's eyes to lock. She spread her wings and flew across to plant a kiss on Dor. "You must tell me where that other winged mermaid is!"

"Actually I saw her only once, at Chex Centaur's wedding," Dolph said. "Fifteen years ago. She would be of mature age by now."

"That's all right. She will surely know the scene." Aurora stood on her tail, keeping herself upright by flapping her wings at half speed. She was a most scenic female figure, with sightly attributes, in utter contrast to the former aspect of the blob. Dor was privately amazed that the same flesh could assume such different forms. This wasn't the kind of magic transformation Dolph did: it was a given mass reshaped. That made it special.

"We can ask some regular mermaids," Dolph suggested, trying without success to wrest his gaze away from two attributes. "They should know where the winged ones are."

[...]

"Oh, thank you!" she exclaimed, and kissed him again, in the process squishing an attribute against him.

"I am glad that is settled," Millie said, with a section of a reminiscent smile. "But first you must have more tee and crumples, I have them ready."

Dolph looked at Aurora. "I know you can fly, but I think I had better carry you, when we travel, because I'll be flying high and fast, and I am familiar with the terrain."

[...]

Dolph took off. He spiraled up into the sky, avoiding passing clouds. With each beat of those great wings, the dragon body lifted powerfully, and they felt extra weight, and Aurora's attributes pressed down against Dor's arm. Then on the return stroke the dragon seemed to be floating, and everything became light. Dor hoped that no one else was aware of his arm He wouldn't care to try to explain his impressions to Irene.

"Do you have demons here?" Aurora asked, glancing around. "Yes, many In fact Dolph's ex-fiancée Nada Naga married Demon Prince Vore, and they have a two-year-old daughter named Demonica."

(Pun Count: 161)

quote:

"What happened to them during the Time of No Magic?"

"How do you know about that?"

"Cone is part of Xanth too, indirectly Our history and folklore say that all magic derives from the Demon X(A/N)th, and that when he departed for a day, so did most of the magic. We were protected, because our nested worlds were stored in a special cell in the nameless Castle that didn't let its magic escape. Of course that's just our legend, there may be no such place on your world."

"There is such a place," Dor reassured her. "So it could be true. I wondered where Ida’s moon was, before it joined her."

"But I should think it was a difficult time for unprotected demons who can't exist without magic."

"It was," Dor agreed "I believe they became dust devils as they do in Mundania. Then they recovered when the magic returned."

"That's nice. It wouldn't be the same without demons."

They find a river with some merfolk and approach.

quote:

They approached the river. The head of a lion popped from the water, spied them and roared.

"Oh, go chomp yourself, mane brain," the river bank said.

The sea lion bared its teeth, but there wasn't much it could do about a section of ground. After a moment it bashed the water with its paws, then turned tail and disappeared with a flash of its flukes.

(Pun Count: 162)

quote:

"The sea lions aren't dangerous if you don’t invade their territory," Dor said to Aurora. "But you have to watch out for the ant lions. They can pursue you on land."

(Pun Count: 163)

quote:

"We have uncle lions on Cone," Aurora replied "They’re really fierce." They walked downstream to the pool. There were no merfolk showing.

(Pun Count: 164) The mermaids introduce themselves once assured that Dolph is not a real dragon. They are Ash, Cedar and Mahogany and we are assured they all have giant tits and slim waists. The mermaids hit on them, then direct them to Mount Rushmost, where the winged mermaid Erica lives.

quote:

"She has a portable pool table for her tail," Mahogany said.

(Pun Count: 165) A surly man named BB shows up.

quote:

"He has the talent of bad breath," Cedar said "If he breathes on you, your own breath gets stinky awful." Dor quickly turned away from BB. Then Dolph changed, and they boarded, and flew up. "Well, no wonder!" Cedar exclaimed "Look how he's holding her."

(Pun Count: 166)

quote:

"But we can do that too," Mahogany said. "Just as bouncily too."

"We don't exactly have brass ears," Ash agreed Then the distance became too great, and their following words were lost. Dor was relieved and glad that his father and son couldn't see how he had to hold Aurora. He couldn't risk letting her fall.

But what did brass ears have to do with anything? Dor couldn't figure it out.

(Pun Count: 167)

quote:

She laughed, which really bounced her attributes "Not brass ears, Brassieres. Clothed girls use them, if they need to. At least they do on Cone."

[...]

"Conic bosoms are popular in some circles," she continued "But we merfolk haven't felt the need."

"There is no need," Dolph agreed fervently. Aurora remained curious about Xanth.

"I see some boys dancing." she said. "What is the dance and why are they so ragged?" Dor looked down.

"They are poor boys, so they are doing the Oliver Twist, the poor boys' dance."

(Pun Count: 168) ...but there's no money in Xanth.

quote:

"Oh. Is there a version for poor girls? I might try that." She bobbed in place, banging his arm some more.

"Maybe Erica will know." It was all he could think of to say, lame as it seemed. Aurora was a most distracting armful.

They arrive at Rushmost and find three lady centaurs, some girl with dragon wings and Erica.

quote:

There was a small gathering of winged monsters on the plateau. They were all female. Three were winged centaur fillies, another was a girl with reptilian wings, and another was—yes!—a winged mermaid. The group of them stood beside a living room that retreated as it saw the strange group descending. Living rooms were comfortable, but more nervous than inanimate rooms. The ladies were holding sun glasses, and those cups of light really brightened the premises.

(Pun Count: 170)

quote:

The dragon landed at the edge beside a patch of flowers. Dor recognized the larger ones as maxi mums, and the small ones as mini mums. They would make those who sniffed them correspondingly large or small. So, like most of Xanth's plants, they were best left alone unless a person really understood their nature.

(Pun Count: 172) The girls are annoyed, since the meeting is for winged girls only, but once Aurora is introduced they agree to let the men go with only minor penalties. The centaur is Karla Centaur, who was transformed from a human, and the dragon-girl is Serena, who was born from a love spring.

quote:

Karla indicated another winged centaur. "This is Chea Centaur. She was rescued from a tangle tree by Che Centaur. Her folks were from the gourd realm, so she gave him a gourd-style apology for taking his time, and he turned bright red and flew away. It seemed he misconstrued her intentions." And one more winged centaur. "This is Sharon Centaur, transformed from human to help shore up the new species, but she's still learning the nuances of centaurism." And the winged mermaid. "This is Erica, one of the few of her kind. We are here visiting the virgini tree and discussing ways to avoid it in the future. We think maybe the lips plants will help."

(Pun Count: 173)

quote:

"Lips plants?" Dor asked blankly.

"Loose lips sink slips," the ground said.

(Pun Count: 174)

quote:

Karla indicated a patch of plants in pretty colors. "I'll show you." She picked a flower. It looked like a bright red pair of lips. She touched it to his face, and the lips kissed him. "This is a two-lips plant. The others are more potent: the three-lips, four-lips, or five-lips. We have to take good care of them, because when a lips plant dies, it becomes a zombie plant which sucks the soul from unwary travelers, called lip-o-suction."

(Pun Count: 179)

quote:

"That sounds almost as bad as the banana cream pie tree, which creams anyone who picks its pies," Dolph remarked. "Not all plants are friendly."

(Pun Count: 180) The penalty, of course, is that each man must be kissed.

quote:

Her lips touched his—and his head seemed to explode. As the dust cleared he found himself sitting on the ground, heart-shaped clouds dissipating around him, and ebbing waves of delight spreading across his face. He was unhurt; in fact it had been a remarkably pleasant experience. He looked around, and saw Bink and Dolph sitting similarly, and looking similarly dazed.

"Lip bomb," Karla explained. "Do you think it will free us from maidenly bondage to the virgini tree?"

(Pun Count: 181) They leave Aurora with the girls.

quote:

The three men backed away. "Thank you, once was enough," Dor said politely. He tripped over a couch potato he hadn't seen, and landed flat on the couch. At least its pillows were better than the hard ground.

(Pun Count: 182)

quote:

Dolph transformed to the dragon, and they quickly boarded. He flew off the brink and was immediately high in the air. But his flight seemed somewhat unsteady, and that made Dor nervous. That lip bomb hadn't worn all the way off yet; his mouth felt outsize. "Maybe we should pause for a drink of water before flying home," Dor suggested.

Dolph flew down to the nearest little stream and landed with a jar. Yes, he was definitely unsteady. Dor kicked the jar aside and stood up. Dolph resumed manform. Then they went to the stream and drank. The water was deeply refreshing.

(Pun Count: 183)

quote:

A cute little fire-breathing puppy came bounding along the bank. Every time it barked, another little puff of fire and smoke came out. Then a catfish lifted its head from the river and hissed. Dor nodded; he loved seeing natural creatures playing.

(Pun Count: 184) They have a problem, though: the kiss somehow removed their memory of where their home is. They decide it's not harmful since it affected Bink, too. Dolph thinks it wasn't the lip bomb - that would've worn off by now. They examine the stream.

quote:

A dark suspicion enveloped Dor. Suspicions cruised around like invisible blobs, and when they caught a person, they were awful to get rid of. "This stream—where does it flow from?" For it occurred to him that the firedog and catfish might not have been playing. They might have been trying to warn folk away from the river, too late.

(Pun Count: 185) It is a tributary of Lethe, and that water makes you forget what was spoken of. They'd talked about going home. They decide to get an aerial look at Xanth to jog their memories, and decide against using reverse wood in case it makes the water do something other than enhance memory. A rock tells them this stream heads to the Forest of Forgetfulness, which no one remembers, so it doesn't get advertised.

quote:

"There's the Gap Chasm," Bink remarked. "I remember the first time I encountered that, just after I met Chameleon. I had to go down and cross on the bottom, where the Gap Dragon roamed. I met Donald the Shade, and kissed his wife and told her where the silver oak was."

(Pun Count: 186) They also spot Roogna, which they do remember, just not as home.

quote:

"Wherever it is," Bink agreed. He peered again "There's the Isle of View, where Dolph was married."

(Pun Count: 187) They decide to find someone to direct them.

quote:

"I agree." So Dolph flew downward, and found a landing spot near the west coast. He settled beside a large envelope—which suddenly sprouted antlers and feet and bounded away.

"I guess it was really an antelope," Bink remarked. "There are some odd animals in the backwoods." Dolph changed back to manform, and they looked around. Nearby was a man reading a book, so they approached him.

(Pun Count: 188) They find a man who can pull things from books. (He demonstrates by pulling out a scarlet pimpernel flower.) But he shoos them off. The man, for some reason, thinks his power is useless. They then find a woman doing the same dance over and over.

quote:

She never paused. "It's supposed to repeat, idiot," she replied witheringly. "It's a re-done-dance."

(Pun Count: 189) They find another person, demonstrating Dor's talent.

quote:

That seemed to be persuasive. "And I am your lowly rebellious subject, Phil Istine," the man replied "What do you want from me?"

(Pun Count: 190) He will help them, but only for a favor.

quote:

"Well, you see my talent is molding things into other things, like this " Phil moved his hands over the rock, and it became a loaf of bread. He bit a chunk from it and chewed, showing it was real.

[...]

Phil passed his hands over it again, and it became a model house. "But my girlfriend isn't impressed. So now I need a new girlfriend, and all the others around here are taken. Except the ones on the Isle of Women. So why don't you go and fetch me one of those, and I'll tell you where your home is." Dor's mistrust of this continued "Why don't you fetch her yourself?"

"Because only women and royal men can go to that island I'm not royal. But you are, so you could go. There must be a woman there who would like my talent."

[...]

"Just offshore. But there's a problem. It's one of several Isles of WO, and it's hard to tell them apart."

"Well, we can ask," Dolph said.

"And they only interface with Xanth an hour a day. So if you get the wrong one you have to leave it and try for another."

(Pun Count: 191, isles of woe?) They agree to the deal and fly off to the shore, where an island appears.

quote:

The trees seemed to be covered by vines. "Those look like bo-vines," Bink remarked. "And I see cow pies on the ground."

(Pun Count: 192)

quote:

"Maybe those are bull pies," Dor said. "There's a bull sleeping nearby."

"A bull dozer," Bink agreed.

(Pun Count: 193)

quote:

A flock of ungainly birds spooked as Dolph landed on the beach. They had the heads of cows. In a moment a swarm of flies with the heads of bulls took off after them.

"Cow birds and bull flies," Dolph remarked as he changed back to manform.

(Pun Count: 195)

quote:

Frogs with the heads of bulls snapped up the flies as they passed. Bullfrogs, obviously.

(Pun count: 196)

quote:

Several men came running down that path. But they had the heads of cows. "And here come the cowboys," Dolph added. "With their bulldogs." Indeed, the dogs were bullheaded.

(Pun Count: 198)

quote:

"This is udder nonsense," Dor said, disgusted.

(Pun Count: 199)

quote:

One of the cowboys stepped into a bully pulpit and lifted a bullhorn to his mouth. "MOOOOO!" it cried. "We have a bulletin."

(Pun Count: 202)

quote:

The three kings retreated. This clearly wasn't the Isle of Women. In fact it wasn't even one of the Isles of WO, because these were all bovines.

A bull whose head was a whip appeared. It snapped its head back and forth, and the whip cracked sharply.

Suddenly they were in a stampede. Water plants with the heads of bulls were charging past them, spooked by the bullwhip. "Bulrushes," Dolph said, identifying them. Then he changed to roc form, and they got quickly off the island.

(Pun Count: 204) They realize these must be the Isles of BO. (Pun Count: 205) They head on, finding a sign for CO. (Pun Count: 206) Then DO, EO, FO, and GO. (Pun count: 210) They skip ahead to WO. They fly to the island.

quote:

This one was heavily wooded with everblue, everyellow, and evergreen trees. A thick forest extended from beach to beach, and there were wood thatched houses nestled under the trees. They landed on the beach, which appeared to be composed of sawdust rather than sand. They approached the nearest house, walking along a wooden boardwalk. Dor knocked on the wooden door.

(Pun Count: 213)

quote:

It opened, and a wooden man stood there. His body was formed of polished planks, the limbs fastened by wooden pegs. Wooden eye lets peered at them "What?" he inquired somewhat woodenly. His jaw had a wooden hinge.

(Pun Count: 214)

quote:

"Is this the Isle of Women?" Dor inquired.

"Of course knot," the man said, and closed the door.

(Pun Count: 215) They conclude that it is the Isle of Wood. They try to work out how many islands there must be if each is only around fo an hour per day, but they are lovely at counting and can't.

quote:

"Worse," Dor agreed. "Somewhere else there must be Isles of WA, WE, and WI. Xanth must be much bigger than we thought."

(Pun Count: 218) They head to the next island - the Isle of Wool. Then on to the Isle of Woe. Then the Isle of wombats. Then the Isle of Word and Work.

quote:

The next turned out to be a huge worm, coiled into island shape. But the one after that was worse, the Isle of Worse. Then there was one whose beach was composed of precious stones of every type, the Isle of Worth. And one that was so marvelous that they stood and gazed at it in wonder the Isle of Wonder.

(Pun Count: 228)

quote:

At last they returned to the sign on the mainland. "There just seem to be more islands than we can fathom," Dor said, dispirited. "I'm sure that any of them are worth appreciating on their own terms, but how will we ever find the one we want? There may be hundreds, and the Isle of Women may appear and fade while we are checking some other Isle of WO."

They find Breanna's dock campsite, which is being approached by zombies. They ask the zombies where they live, but they're not smart enough to answer.

quote:

"Yooo lvze. I lvzng deadth." She gestured to her two companions. "Zeeze Dee."

"Dee?"

"Dee Composed andz Dee Ceased. Zhey deadth too."

(Pun Count: 230) They get the zombies to go home to find the zombie world, and the zombies leave. They find Breanna, but realize they can't wake her because the only to awaken sleeping pretty girls is a kiss, and they're all married. Because that's the only way.

quote:

Dor studied the girl's face. "Yes, she reminds me of Irene when she was that age, with the appealing health and vigor of youth."

"And she reminds me of Chameleon when she is almost at perihelion," Bink said.

So they decide to just camp out until Breanna wakes herself up.

Pun Count: 230 by the end of Chapter 8.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 4, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I am sick of the word "Attributes"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, uh, yeah, I have some bad news.

I was at a book shop the other day, and I glanced across the Piers Anthony books and saw something that immediately filled me with dread.

One of the upcoming books is called Jumper Cable. I tried to tell myself that it was just a title, probably had nothing to do with one of his few tolerable characters, but no, the tagline: "A stalwart spider leads a bevy of beauties on a desperate quest to rescue the magical land of Xanth, in the Xanth series' 33rd adventure."

The one bit of goodwill this series has left, brothers and sisters, and it seems not long for this world.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JackMann posted:

So, uh, yeah, I have some bad news.

I was at a book shop the other day, and I glanced across the Piers Anthony books and saw something that immediately filled me with dread.

One of the upcoming books is called Jumper Cable. I tried to tell myself that it was just a title, probably had nothing to do with one of his few tolerable characters, but no, the tagline: "A stalwart spider leads a bevy of beauties on a desperate quest to rescue the magical land of Xanth, in the Xanth series' 33rd adventure."

The one bit of goodwill this series has left, brothers and sisters, and it seems not long for this world.
Don't worry, it's a different Jumper.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 9. Breanna is awakened by Justin, who warns her about three men approaching. Justin soon recognizes the trio as Bink, Dor and Dolph. Breanna decides to fake waking up, and Justin learns that Bink has been youthened. Dor asks Breanna about the Isle of Women, and she explains to them about the zombies. They agree to help Breanna avoid Xeth. Some zombies approach, and Dolph carries two of them off while Bink and Dor try to stall the next two. They try to talk the zombies into leaving, but the zombies are too dumb. Justin spots the Isle appearing, and the group jumps into the boat as the zombies appear en masse. The zombies stumble after them, and Breanna worries they will drown, but Justin explains that they can't.

quote:

Breanna was relieved. She was getting more insights into zombie nature than she had ever cared to have, but slowly the recognition that they were after all people of a sort was gaining ground. She could almost wish them well—if only they would leave her alone. Dropsy— what kind of a woman had she been, in life? What kind of a woman was she now, apart from her awful undead status?

They wonder about how the boat propels itself, and Dor gets the boat to talk so Breanna can ask it. It turns out it has duck feet.

quote:

Breanna lifted one toot and stamped hard on the deck. The boat was silent. But she wrapped her skirt more closely about her legs, so that nothing was visible from below. The irony was that she was proud of the black underwear she wore, but she was not about to have a piece of wood think it was getting away with a sneak peek.

"I had forgotten what fun Dor's talent is," Justin remarked. "Girls do have to watch their skirts."

"What do you mean, 'fun'?" she demanded silently.

"No offense intended, Breanna, but seeing under skirts or into shirts is one of the great male pastimes. Your best strategy is to pretend to be unaware of it. That preserves your innocence even if something accidentally shows."

"Even underage skirts and shirts?" she asked sharply.

"You are very mature in outlook and poise. They obviously regard you as a young woman."

The boat explains that only women and princes can come to the Isle of Women, which is entirely populated by women who want to marry princes and live out their lives in comfort. This does, however, mean that Xeth can follow Breanna personally. Bink suggests that the answer to Breanna's quest is on the Isle, but is not the Isle itself. Breanna explains why Justin is with her, and the boat meanwhile walks out of the water and takes them to an inland dock. They are met at the dock by a woman named Voracia, who is wearing furry shorts and a halter. She is very upset to learn the men are all married, and scolds the boat. She is oddly unsurprised by it talking.

quote:

Voracia was grim. "Well, you're here now. So you will simply have to provide three of us with princely husbands in lieu of you. Only when you have accomplished this will you be allowed to leave the Isle."

Dor doesn't like that, but Voracia says the boat won't let them leave and they can't fly back, as they removed its interface with Xanth. Breanna explains to Voracia that the men were just trying to help her, and Voracia says that the zombie woman Zyzzyva can help. Breanna refuses to go near any more zombies, though. Voracia turns her attentions back on the men, to try and convince them to leave their wives.

quote:

Voracia gazed at him. "Not even if I show you my talent?"

"Don t ask her talent." Justin warned.

"What's your talent?" Prince Dolph asked, once again seeming to speak before he thought. Breanna knew how that was.

"This." Suddenly she was standing before them in lacy white bra and panties.

"This is mischief."

"For sure." Because all three men froze where they stood, staring at the woman. Breanna had to admit that Voracia was impressive; both items of apparel were very well filled.

"You will have to rescue them."

"Right." But then she discovered something weird: her own eyes were fastened on Voracia. They were starting to lock in place. "Hey! What's going on here? I'm not fascinated by the sight of a woman's undies."

"You're not male."

"Oh, no! You, Justin?"

"Me," he confessed. "I see though your eyes When you focused them on—"

"Oh, for screaming out loud! Look away, Justin."

"I can't. But you can. They re your eyes."

Breanna saves the men, and Voracia explains.

quote:

"But I was only showing my talent." the girl protested. "Which is to change my bra and panties to any style or substance." Her outfit turned into blue halter and shorts, then into striped tank top and slacks. "When I was a child, not so long ago, I thought I had no talent, because I didn't wear those particular items. Then one day—"

"You mean those are the same things?" Breanna asked, amazed.

"Yes. I can even turn them into armor." Now she wore woven metal uppers and lowers. "But that's sort of heavy, so mostly I keep it simple."

Voracia flashes the men again.

quote:

"Oh." Voracia changed to a jacket top and heavy culottes. "I didn't realize. I've been so long on the Isle of Women, seeing no men, I just forgot. When he asked my talent, I just—I'm sorry."

Voracia is then surprised when her shirt talks, so...I don't even know, why was she okay with the talking boat?

quote:

"I understand women try things on men, just to make sure they work," Justin said. "So it may be half innocent."

Breanna thought about the way she had sort of shown off to Justin, before the mirror in the Good Magician's castle. Just because she could get away with it, being physically alone. She had claimed to be informal because they were sharing awareness, but there had really been more to it than that. Part of her wanted to hide her assets; another part wanted to advertise them. "I guess," she agreed. Then, aloud: "Well, if you are to be their guide, keep it in bounds."

Voracia explains the island.

quote:

"Here is how it works," Voracia said. "Every woman on this island intends to marry into royalty. Unfortunately there are many more of us than there are royal visitors, so we have set up a roster based on a complicated set of rules it would be tedious to elucidate. Those at the top of the list get the first choices, and as they get placed, others rise to take their places. So at present I am number one on the list. Thus I get to associate with the prospects, and to interview them, to see whether any are right for me."

"Well, they aren't," Breanna said. "So you can just forget about that aspect." She realized that she was starting to pick up words like "aspect" from Justin Tree. She liked his influence; it made her seem more adult.

"We shall see." Voracia's outfit turned momentarily translucent. Breanna’s doubt about her innocence increased to sixty percent. However, it wasn't convenient to challenge it right now. "But first, as I said, we should get you settled, Breanna."

"Translation: she wants you out of her hair, so she can be free to vamp the kings without interference."

Moving on...

quote:

"Let's see that string again," the stone said. "I want to develop a String Theory."

(Pun Count: 231) Two more women show up, much to Voracia's annoyance: D. Claire and Nefra Naga. (Pun Count: 232) Claire starts trying to seduce Dor, but Breanna stops her. Nefra knows the kings are married, actually - she attended Dolph's wedding.

quote:

"I was young. Nada's Aunt Nera fell in love with a human type guy named Nathan, and I'm their daughter Nefra. Because I am part human, I have a magic talent, along with the normal naga abilities. I have the talent of switching."

"Switching? You mean with a switch?"

She laughed. "How clever! No, I can switch any two things, including talents." She looked around. "Like this." She gestured, and suddenly the rock switched places with a small nearby tree. "Hey!" the rock cried out. "I can't see the sights from here."

(Pun Count: 232)

quote:

Nefra returned to Prince Dolph. "So you see, I have no designs on you or your father or grandfather. But if I am not your guide, I will be replaced by someone who does have such designs. So I thought it best to keep my place."

"Nefra is all right," Justin concluded.

"I guess so," Breanna agreed with less conviction. "I think you're here under false pretenses," Claire muttered darkly.

They are taken to Breanna's new house, which the last woman to leave the island left vacant.

quote:

She opened the door and stepped out. And looked around, dismayed. The three kings were gone. Everyone was gone.

"But they wouldn't just have deserted me like that, would they?"

"Of course not," Justin said. "But I think I can fathom what happened The women of the Isle preferred to be free of you, because you interfered with their designs So when you were out of sight, one of them showed her panties, freaked out the men, and carted them off to another section."

"But what of Nefra Naga? She had no designs on them."

"So she said. She might have simply been trying to reassure you and the kings, the better to close the trap. Such subterfuge is not beyond the capacity of the gender. "

"Translation: women can be bitches," she said bitterly.

That's when a zombie shows up, and Breanna locks herself in. Justin suggests that she may need to leave to save the kings, as the women may be able to seduce them eventually if they are kept perpetually freaked out. The zombie outside introduces herself as Zyzzyva. Breanna goes into hysterics until Justin talks her down and convinces her she's being bigoted. He offers to talk for her, since Breanna can't handle zombies.

quote:

"Thank you." The zombie woman stepped inside. She was in much better health than Breanna expected; her decay hardly showed. That meant she had been caught soon after dying. Zombies seemed always to be decaying, but actually remained as they were when zombied. That should mean, in turn, that her brain was pretty healthy too. Her clear speech suggested that.

[...]

"Thank you," the zombie repeated. Now Breanna noticed that the woman wore a metallic skirt and armored halter, and there was a small helmet on her head. A short sword hung by her right side. She was a warrior lady! She must have been killed in battle. No wound showed, but maybe that was closed up when she got zombied.

They sat at the table. "I am Justin Tree," her mouth said. "I am with Breanna of the Black Wave. She was kissed awake by King Xeth Zombie, but that was a confusion. She does not wish to marry him. The Good Magician Humfrey sent her to the Isle of Women, where she is supposed to find her reprieve. Do you understand?"

"Yes," Zyzzyva said. "That is why I came here. I was a warrior lass, but I died in action. The Zombie Master found me almost immediately, and revived me as a zombie. I decided I wanted to settle down and live as normal an existence as I could. My talent is consistency, and I wanted to settle down in life, so it remains my ambition in half-life. But no ordinary man would consider me. So I came here, hoping for my chance. But I am low on the list."

"So you would like to marry King Xeth?"

"Yes, that would be ideal. But I fear some other woman will get him first. I know that he wants to marry a living woman, and all the others here are fully alive. But I am the best preserved of zombie women, so I think I could accomplish what he wishes. So when I learned that he might be coming here—"

"I doubt many other women would care to marry a zombie," Justin said. "Even a zombie king."

"Some might. But if I could somehow intercept him, and persuade him, then he would never come here." Zyzzyva hesitated. "Unfortunately, as a warrior maiden I was never very good at romance. So it might not work."

"I could teach you!" Breanna burst out, grabbing possession of her mouth.

Zyzzyva glanced askance at her. "Your voice seems to have changed. Perhaps my perception has deteriorated."

"No it hasn't." Breanna said. Now that she had actually done it, she found it wasn't that hard to talk to the zombie. After all, she had talked to Xeth. "Justin was speaking for me, because I—well, never mind. I see you are a person, different from me, but still a person. Some folk don't like to associate with me because of my color, and I don't like that, but I guess I have my own prejudices. But if you can win Xeth's love, and marry him, then I'll be gloriously free. I think I can tell you how to do that. After all, he is a man."

Justin confirms that her panties are, indeed, sexy.

quote:

Oh. Breanna pulled her eyeballs away. Obviously the panties were competent. They should have that much more effect on a zombie male. "Okay, the other part of it is how you act. You have to sort of look him in the eye and smile, and tell him how handsome he is. And if he grabs for you, the way men do—let him."

"But I always slew any man who grabbed for me." Which was surely part of her problem. "Control the impulse. This time you want to—to let him have his way with you. Then he'll be yours forever. That's how it's done."

Zyzzyva hesitated again. "I spoke somewhat blithely of intercepting and persuading him, but that was my militaristic nature talking of a campaign. Now that I contemplate actually doing it, I am afraid." Breanna stared at her.

"You're human!"

The woman smiled wanly. "I am a human zombie. My living capacities are only slightly diminished. Unfortunately my living liabilities also remain. I fear that I will—will—"

"Will mess up?"

Zyzzyva nodded. "So maybe this is not a good idea. I'm sorry I bothered you." She turned toward the door and took a step.

"No you don't!" Breanna cried, going after her and grabbing her hand.

Zyzzyva whirled. A short sword appeared in her other hand. It glinted as it swung toward Breanna's neck. Breanna froze, horrified, unable to react in time to save herself.

The blade stopped just short of her flesh. "Oh, I'm sorry." Zyzzyva said. "I reacted automatically. You must never grab a warrior."

"Uh. I'm sorry." Breanna said, shaken. "I—I just—I just didn't want you to go. Because I still think I can show you how to do it."

"Do you really? Despite seeing how I react when touched?"

"That's rough, I confess. But there must be some way. Justin, what do you think?"

"Perhaps if she could still think of it as a military maneuver. The correct reaction could win the day."

"What correct reaction?"

"Perhaps a passionate kiss."

"Now I gotcha." Breanna returned her attention to Zyzzyva. "He says you can still be military. You can still react when touched. But instead of cutting off his head, kiss him. Can you retain your reflexes to do that?" The woman considered.

"Different situations require different reactions. I should be able to do that. It's as if to vanquish him, my weapon is a kiss instead of a sword."

They decide to help Zyzzyva practice.

quote:

The armored woman turned to face the intruder. "I am Zyzzyva. You are really handsome."

Justin looked past her. "Where is Breanna?"

"She is modeling for you at the moment."

"Oops."

"Let's try it again," Breanna said. "This time don't forget to bat your eyes and show your panties."

"Hit my eyes?"

"Sort of blink them at him. Like this." Breanna demonstrated.

"I will try," Zyzzyva agreed, abashed. "Eyes, panties."

Justin entered again. "I am King—"

"Hello, handsome." Zyzzyva lifted her skirt.

Justin's eyes locked on. He strode across the room and grabbed her by the shoulder.

Zyzzyva drew her sword. Then she froze. "Darn!"

"Practice makes perfect," Justin said with Breanna's mouth. "That's why we have rehearsals: to ensure that the real case is perfect."

The zombie woman nodded. "Not this," she said, sheathing her sword. "This." She stepped into Breanna and kissed her firmly on the mouth.

Breanna froze. She had never been kissed like that by a woman before. Justin took over. He reached down and stroked the woman on the bottom. Breanna felt Zyzzyva stiffen, then relax, accepting it.

At which point Xeth himself shows up.

quote:

There before him was Zyzzyva. She looked startled, but quickly recovered her military discipline. "Hello, handsome," she said, smiling.

Xeth hesitated. "Who are you?"

"I am Zyzzyva Zombie." She batted her eyes fetchingly. Then, remembering, she lifted the hem of her skirt. "I would like to marry you."

"So far, so good."

"I am King Xeth Zombie," he replied, advancing with his eyes fixed on that hem. "You seem remarkably well preserved."

"I was zombied only minutes after I died. I am the healthiest zombie female."

"Your flesh does look firm." He reached for her, but hesitated.

"Still, I don't think any zombie female can—"

She stepped into him and kissed him. Now his hand fell to her bottom, exactly as Justin had demonstrated. Zyzzyva melted against him.

Breanna releases Xeth from betrothal and Zyzzyva drags him off to gently caress.

Pun Count: 232 by the end of Chapter 9.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This chapter is the most compressed :stonk: I've seen since... okay, since, like, a couple of chapters ago. It's impressive how much skeezy gender role he can stuff into a few pages.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alopex posted:

This chapter is the most compressed :stonk: I've seen since... okay, since, like, a couple of chapters ago. It's impressive how much skeezy gender role he can stuff into a few pages.

As they say over in Debate & Discussion ... there is always more and it is always worse.

I mean, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the heroine being worried that the deck of a boat is going to look up her skirt, and there are at least half a dozen other wrong things waiting to be comprehended....

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 10. Breanna has just gone into the house. The menfolk are waiting outside.

quote:

"We have something to show you," Voracia said.

Bink looked at her. She stood with Demoness Claire and Nefra Naga. They were all remarkably lovely young ladies.

Then, acting in concert, they acted. Nefra changed to her serpentine form and slithered out of her dress. Then she changed back to human form, stunningly naked. Claire's clothing turned smoky and drifted away in the breeze, leaving her voluptuously nude. And Voracia's outfit reverted to its natural state of pink bra and pink panties, both tightly filled to overflowing. All three of them had perfect figures. All three smiled and batted their eyes and made a synchronized high kick with one bare leg. Then all slowly turned around in place, displaying every facet of every curve.

Bink was freaked into immobility. He had been married a long time, and seen Xanth’s most beautiful woman in all states of dishabille, but this sudden surprise frontal assault by three lovely creatures caught him unprepared. It was a case of instant overload and male circuit blowout. He knew that his son and grandson were in the same state. The women of the Isle had sprung their trap the moment the three kings had been deprived of the protection of the girl.

The men are dragged off towards "the retention pool."

quote:

He was tilted onto a cart and pushed still standing along the path, following the three exposed women. It was clear that this procedure had been carefully choreographed; there were no mistakes. Probably they had used it on other reluctant men. It was a system designed to see that no living prince escaped the island without being firmly married to one of its women.

In due course they reached the retention pool, which seemed to be an empty cavity covered by a flickering layer of light, Bink felt a prickling across his body as that membrane passed across him. Then he felt quite peaceful, as if all were right with the universe. But he still couldn't take his eyes off the three exposed women walking in front. They were just as fascinating from behind as in front. That was the magical thing about women: they could capture the male attention from any angle. Only their normal use of clothing allowed any men to function with reasonable efficiency.

At the bottom of the pool the wagons stopped. Then at last the three women covered up. Voracia's bra and panties thickened into halter and shorts and lost much of their compulsion; D. Claire's form was shrouded in smoke that became an appealing but not overly exposive dress; and Nefra donned her normal clothing.

Bink relaxed and rubbed his smarting eyes. He saw after images of flexing buttocks. He had had an overdose, and it would take his orbs time to recover fully. He looked around.

Orbs? Anyway, they explore and find that each is captured in their own invisible cell. Bink, obviously, is unworried because he can't be hurt. Voracia approaches him because she thinks he's the youngest. He refuses to renounce Chameleon

quote:

Her halter fuzzed into the bra, which of course it was all the time; only its appearance changed, to make it less evocative when she wished. Her short trousers remained. Thus her body was not completely compelling, but was a good deal more than indifferent. "There are certain things you must understand, Bink. No man leaves the Isle without marrying one of us; the only uncertainty is which one. If I am unable to persuade you, the others must have their turns. You will remain here until you accede to one. Your best course is to make an early agreement, so as not to be confined for a tedious period."

"I married Chameleon fifty six years ago. She has been an excellent and loyal wife. I will not renounce her."

She eyed him coolly. "Fifty six years. That is a very long time for a man who is twenty one years old."

"I was youthened. I am actually eighty one years old."

Voracia shrugged. Her bra became translucent. He tried to keep his eyes clear of it, but they were magically drawn to that translucency. "Then you are old enough to be realistic about your prospects. I doubt that you will encounter a better prospect for a wife than me."

"I won't encounter any prospect. I am already married."

Her bra became fully transparent. His eyeballs creaked in their sockets as he tried vainly to wrench them away. "I have a certain amount of time to make my case with you. If I do not succeed, I will have to give way to the next woman, who is D. Claire, unless she has already married one of the others. I think you would prefer me, all things considered, to the demoness. For one thing, only my clothing changes, not my actual body. You might find that reassuring." She took a deep breath.

Fortunately Bink's mouth was not incapacitated the way his eyes were. "It is not a question of preference. I am not marrying any of you." She sighed. That was a considerable effect, considering her bare-seeming front.

Bink tries to resist as she gets closer, but there is magic that makes him weak.

quote:

She angled his head until she could kiss him. He tried to deny it, but the fact was that her lips were very nice. He was lucky that these women hadn't discovered lip bomb. After a moment she broke it off. "Now if you care to, we can adjourn to the bed, where I will delight you excruciatingly. Then you will be obliged to marry me, having by your action renounced your prior wife. That is really the easiest way to do it."

"I’m not going to do it." But it was very hard to be sure of that. Would his talent consider seduction to be harmful?

"If you resist me. and the other women, we will then commence the second round. You will be given food and a pitcher of water. You may eat freely, but when you drink, you will commit."

"Why?"

"Because the pitcher will contain love elixir. Whatever woman is with you at the time you drink will become the object of your insatiable affection. But she may not be your best partner. So you will be better off to choose for yourself, before thirst chooses for you."

They really seemed to have it figured out. But they did not know that his talent was to be invulnerable to harm by magic. His talent seldom showed itself directly, but it was always effective. It had made it plain in bygone times that the loss of Chameleon was considered harm. So there would be some unusual coincidence that freed him from this marriage trap. Assuming his magic wasn't satisfied to have him be seduced and be quiet about it. That notion continued to unsettle him.

Of course. his talent won't protect Dor or Dolph. Voracia threatens to take her panties off, then turns them into panties and freaks him completely, unable to move or speak. Despite the fact that he can't see them, just feel the change in fabric, as she's on his lap. She then has to leave because she ran out of time. Claire appears and drops Bink on his bed.

quote:

"Objection!" someone called. "Woman is not allowed to undress prospect. She has to persuade him to do it himself."

Claire looked furious, but desisted. She lay down beside him, and kissed his face. Her lips made his mouth seem to float up to the ceiling and burst into a spectacular array of flying colors. "You surely know how much fun a demoness can be, when she wants to be," she said. "And when you marry me, I will get half your soul, which will make me have some decency and conscience, so that I won't leave you or otherwise embarrass you when you annoy me. So I can give you continuous delight unmatched by any ordinary woman, who would of course in time grow old and wrinkled." She kissed him again, as her dress fogged into nothingness.

Bink refuses, so she tries to make him grope her.

quote:

"Objection!" a voice cried. "She's not allowed to make him do that! He has to do it for himself."

Claire's eyes fired out tiny sparks, but she let go of his hand. "So do it for yourself," she suggested, inhaling.

Somehow he managed to resist her charms, though it was teasingly difficult. She left him quivering with frustrated longing, but did not break his resolve. It had been shaken and dented and battered and kissed, but not actually broken.

Then she was gone, and Nefra was with him. He took some solace in the realization that this meant that neither Claire nor Nefra had prevailed against Dor or Dolph either. But the two other kings were surely weakening. There had to be a better way out!

"I'm sorry I had to deceive you," Nefra murmured as she lay beside him without clothing. "But we had to get that Black Wave girl out of the way; she was interfering."

That reminded him of Breanna. "What happened to her?" he asked.

"Prince Xeth Zombie arrived. None of us high on the list wanted him, so we guided him immediately to the house so that he could win Breanna."

Bink is told that Breanna let him in and hasn't come out yet, so they assume things went well. Bink is quite mad.

quote:

"I love it when you show emotion," she said, and planted a fierce kiss on him.

"It's negative emotion."

"That's all right, I'll take that for now. Would you like to rape me? That counts the same as a seduction. I promise not to resist effectively."

Jesus gently caress. She leaves.

quote:

In time she did. She was replaced by a more ordinary girl, fully and decorously clothed. "I am Loni," she said. "What color do you think my hair is?"

Surprised by this approach, he sat up and studied her hair. "Brown. No. red. No, green. No—" he was confused. "I can't decide what color it is."

"That's my talent: folk can't agree what color my hair is. I admit it's not much of a talent, but by the same token I am no threat to you. If you marry me I will obey you in all things, and do my very best to please you always. I would just love to be a princess."

"I'm sorry. I'm not free to marry anyone."

Her face clouded up, and so did her hair. "But—but this is my only chance! It may be months before another prince comes to the Isle!"

Bink realized that she was young. He put his arm around her heaving shoulders, trying to cheer her. She turned into him and gave him a wet kiss. And he realized that whatever her age, she was just as determined and artful as the others. So he steeled himself and resisted her blandishments of whatever nature.

The next woman was small and elfin, "I'm one of the Brown Knees," she said. "See?" She spread her knees as she sat on the chair. Sure enough, they were nice and brown. But in the process, she showed him well up under her short skirt, and he knew that she, too, was doing her best to seduce him in a hurry. He managed to blink his eyes closed just before they reached the freakout region.

(Pun Count: 233)

quote:

The next was Molly Coddle. "I just love children!" she said brightly. "I hope to get a dozen delivered."

(Pun Count: 234)

quote:

"I am Lasha Lamia. I can create cloudstones." She demonstrated, forming a stone so light that it floated, yet was hard enough to use for construction. "I could help you build a nice, light castle, that you could pick up and move when you wanted a change of scenery." She leaned forward, showing the scenery inside her loose blouse.

[...]

"Woof! I'm a real bitch."

He looked startled. It was a dog—a talking female dog. "How did you get in here?" he asked.

(Pun Count: 235)

quote:

The dog became a cat. "I told them you might like a pet feline. How do you like me? I am Catrana. I'll purr if you stroke me."

(Pun Count: 236)

quote:

He stroked her, and she purred.

Then she became a teakettle dragon. "I can be any creature you like," she hissed. "Marry me, and be perpetually entertained."

Oh—another demoness. "Sorry, I don't need to marry a talking pet."

"Oh, phooey," she swore. "It worked for my friend Vera Similitude, with her two dogs Disa Pointer and Up Setter." She started unlacing her bodice. "I'll never disappoint or up set you."

(Pun Count: 239)

quote:

The next was tall, thin, and ugly. "I am Tipsy Troll. I know you won't like me, so I'll shut up for my time and give you a chance to rest."

"Bless you!" he exclaimed, and kissed her.

She was so surprised she fell backwards onto the bed. This wasn't artifice, because she lay absolutely still and silent, letting him rest.

Now that he had a chance to think, a good thought came: what these women wanted were princes or kings. But there weren't enough in all Xanth to accommodate them all. But there were enough in another realm: Ida's moons. Because every person who ever existed, or would exist, or might exist was there. There should be hundreds of perfectly good princes who would love to have experience with women of real Xanth. If there were just some way to make contact.

And there was! Dor had saved that jar of sleep potion. They could go to those dream worlds and find princes, and—and what? The princes would not be able to leave their dream realm, and the women would not be able to go permanently to Ida's moons. Unless the Zombie Master found a way for his zombies to go, and—no, because the zombies' bodies would remain buried in Xanth. Real folk couldn't be buried like that. They would have to sleep on beds, and wake every so often to eat and exercise.

Tipsy got up. "My time is done," she said sadly. "I hope you enjoyed your respite."

She was a decent woman. Suddenly he wanted to do something for her. He couldn't marry her, but maybe he could help her. "Don't go," he said.

"Oh, but I have to. My time is up, and the Vine cousins are next."

"Vine cousins?"

"Clinging and Bo Vine. They—"

(Pun Count: 241) Bink gets the girls to lay off by telling them he thinks he has a way to get princes for all of them. He gets Tipsy to get the sleep potion.

quote:

She nodded. She left the chamber, and returned soon with Dor himself, and his woman of the moment: Davina. She looked, reasonably enough, like the neighbor woman. Then came Dolph, with his woman: Fiona. She looked like the girl next door. But surely she was old enough, or she wouldn't be here.

(Pun Count: 243) They use the potion, heading to Ptero.

quote:

"Nobody wants to exchange favors with me anyway," Tipsy muttered Bink was to the right of the others and she was holding his right hand, so was at the end of the line.

"You don't seem that ugly," Bink said "I’m sure that by troll standards you are beautiful."

"Not so. I'm only half troll, actually, my father was human. He caught my mother in a net and trussed her up and signaled the stork with her and then departed. She was furious, but by the time she got free of the net there was nothing to do but go hide under a bridge. The stork found her anyway, to her chagrin. I'm homely by both troll and human standards and not welcome among the trolls because of my polluted ancestry. So I thought I would marry a human man, but discovered that they didn't want me either. So I figured no one would notice on the Isle of Women, because there are so few men seen there anyway."

...oh boy.

quote:

"We'll, I'd marry a prince if he wanted me But let's be realistic. If a regular man doesn't want me, why should a prince?"

Bink saw her point. Still, she seemed like a nice girl, when allowances were made "You're half human? Do you have a magic talent?"

"Yes, but it doesn't do me any good It's the cold shoulder."

"You mean you can ignore people?"

"No, I mean I can make my shoulder cold. Feel it."

(Pun Count: 244)

quote:

Bink let go of her hand and touched her shoulder It was cold "I suppose that wouldn't make you comfortable to sleep beside," he said.

"Well, it's not cold all the time, only when I turn it on."

[...]

"No, that doesn't bother me. But I guess the heated exchange from my shoulder makes my heart hot and I hate being hot-hearted while cold-shouldering folk."

(Pun Count: 245)

quote:

The ground of Ptero was now rushing up, and they had to concentrate on their landing But Bink continued to think about what he had learned Tipsy had a warm heart, which no one appreciated. She had already done him a favor by giving him time to think instead of constantly trying to seduce him. She wasn't pretty, but she would be good for any man who cared about character more than appearance. That was of course the problem he knew of no men like that. Even he himself liked Chameleon much better when she was beautiful than when she was smart.

They go ask a tower covered in eyes about where to find princes.

quote:

"I am the Eye-full Tower," it replied "I see everything."

(Pun Count: 246)

quote:

"I want to get rid of that club soda that lurks too close."

(Pun count: 247) The soda clubs people. Tipsy freezes it.

quote:

Dolph changed into a bull dozer, perhaps inspired by the one they had seen on the Isle of Bovines, put down his horns, and pushed. The ice slid out of the hollow in one thick disk Dolph shoved it on across the landscape, until it went over a ridge and slid down the far side, away from the tower.

(Pun Count: 248) They are told where to go, but there are comic strips on the way. Tipsy is gasping because her heart is too hot and her shoulder too cold. If she gets kissed, she'll be fine. Bink kisses her.

quote:

He kissed her. Heat flowed from her face to his, warming him throughout. It wasn't physical heat, but emotional warmth. Because her heart was hot. She needed release from the agony of unrequited warm-heartedness.

They head on for their destination: Prince Town. (Pun Count: 249) They head into a comic strip.

quote:

They stepped onto the strip. There was a pretty flower in the shape of a stomach. "Oh, what a pretty posy!" Fiona said, learning forward to sniff it.

"Wait!" Dor said sharply. "What is that?"

"That's a cute gastritis," one of several nearby crosses replied. Each of them was garbed in a dress. "Sniff it and you'll have one heaven of a stomachache."

(Pun Count: 249)

quote:

Fiona jerked her head back. "Thank you for the warning, cross dressers," she said.

(Pun Count: 250)

quote:

Suddenly a swarm of bright red ants crossed in front of them. Wherever they stepped, fire broke out. "Those fire ants are ringing us with fire!" Dolph cried.

(Pun Count: 251)

quote:

They retreated—and fell with several splashes into a foul pond of soapy water. "What is this?" Dor demanded as he struggled to get out of it.

"Lake Hogwash," the pond replied. "To wash pigs like you."

(Pun Count: 252)

quote:

There were even toys floating in the dirty water. Bink grabbed one that was in the shape of a word: LET. It was attached to a string that disappeared into the murky depths. "What are you?" he asked.

"Isn't it obvious, sewer-breath? I'm a Toy Let."

(Pun Count: 253) Bink flushes it, getting rid of the hogwash.

quote:

They looked for a way to climb out of the empty pool. Dolph felt among several disks that were perched near the edge. "Quit that, you bleepity bleep!" a disk swore villainously. It was of course a disk cuss.

(Pun Count: 254)

quote:

Fiona found a way that led through another pool, one that had not drained. But she hesitated to try it. A number of small bug-like creatures floated in it. "What are you?" she asked it.

"I'm a sep tic tank," it replied.

(Pun Count: 255)

quote:

"Those are sep tics!" Bink said, recognizing them. "They live in sludgy bays. They'll suck out our minds in the filthiest way."

(Pun Count: 256)

quote:

They finally found a shallow section and helped each other out. Here there were a number of elastic loops. Whenever someone picked one up, it played music. Since they were easy to pick up—they stuck to shoes and clothing—soon there was a discordant medley. "I hate rubber bands," Dor muttered.

(Pun Count: 257)

quote:

Bink came up against a clump of big-leafed plants. They bore fruit that hung down and pointed up. "Eat me!" the fruit begged.

Tipsy reached for one. "I am suddenly hungry," she said.

Bink stopped her. "Wait till we get out of the comic strip. Those fruits will drive you crazy."

"Why? What are they?"

"Bananas."

(Pun Count: 258)

quote:

Meanwhile Fiona had brushed a huge toad. "Oooo, I'm going to fight the whole world!" she cried, looking for a weapon.

Dolph grabbed her and looked at her hand. "I thought so: you've got warts."

(Pun Count: 259)

quote:

Tipsy saw a nice-looking pillow. "Maybe I'll sit on that and rest," she said.

[...]

"Awww. I'm a pun cushion."

(Pun count: 260)

quote:

The far side of the comic strip was close. They lunged for it, but a nasty little canine creature growled and menaced them. "Pay no attention to it," Dolph said. "That's a pet peeve. My sister Ivy used to have them all the time."

(Pun Count: 261)

quote:

"We need to get cleaned up," Fiona said. "I see a pool over there."

"Why clean up?" Dor asked. "This is only a dream."

The girls circled a glance that said "Men!" Then Fiona spoke again. "All the same, we want to be clean—in and out of the dream."

"That's a cess pool," Dolph said innocently.

(Pun Count: 262)

quote:

They considered the well. "What kind of well are you?" Dor asked it.

"Midas well," it replied.

(Pun Count: 263) Which turns things to gold.

quote:

Then Bink saw a big bow. It had huge pretty colorful loops of ribbon, and several big arrows. "I believe that's a rain bow," he said. "That should do it."

(Pun Count: 264) They find a corntent to change in. (Pun Count: 265) They clean off via the rain bow's arrows, which make rain. They fly over the next comic strip, thank God, and reach Prince Town. Now they have to figure out how to let the girls marry the men, since they can't reach Ptero physically.

quote:

She smiled sadly. "But you can't marry me, even if you wanted to. So forget it. Here is my notion: maybe we don't need to have the realms overlap. All we need is to have plenty of that dreaming potion, so the women of the Isles can visit Prince Town whenever they want. They can marry princes here, and do whatever they want with them, and when they want to rest, they can simply wake up and be where no man can bother them. Most of them would appreciate that, though they wouldn't say so in mixed company."

Dor nodded. "That sounds good, for the women. But wouldn't the princes object?"

"I think they would be glad to see the women any time the women appeared. Apparently they are a long way from Princess Town. And they probably need time for their studies. So they might like half time too, especially since the women would be coming with romance in mind. I understand that men do have other interests, like jousting and gambling and watching nymphs run, that they don't necessarily care to share with women."

Bink nodded. "Astute assessment. Let's put it to the princes. Would they like part-time marriages to lovely women?"

They work it out and head back with Tipsy. (Davina and Fiona have found princes to gently caress.)

quote:

They woke in the retention pool. Davina and Fiona remained asleep. But Tipsy was able to make the report. "In short," she concluded, "every woman can have a prince in a dream marriage, without leaving the Isle. The princes are eager to meet all of you. All you need is the sleep potion and a place to lie down."

The others were not convinced. But they released the three kings to roam the Isle while the matter was being settled. When Davina and Fiona woke, they would compare notes.

But Bink hesitated as they departed the pool. "What of you. Tipsy?" he asked. "There doesn't seem to be much for you in Prince Town."

They decide to send Tipsy to Phil Istine. You remember that guy? He exists. Tipsy agrees to marry him, and they decide to arrange that when they leave. Breanna shows up and everyone is fine now.

Pun Count: 264 by the end of Chapter 10.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:stonk:

... gently caress

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What is there even to say

Y'know, I distinctly remember thinking as a youngin' that Faun & Games was grosser than this book, which mostly just felt boring, but after seeing these passages again I may have to reassess that opinion.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 11 opens with Breanna telling the others that she can leave with them, and introduces herself to Tipsy. She and Justin talk about how it seems like almost time for him to leave, since she's escaped Xeth.

quote:

"I guess." But she was dissatisfied. "Justin, I know you have had enough of teenage girls by now."

"As if there could ever be enough of them."

Breanna asks him to stay longer.

quote:

"You are not merely being polite? The Good Magician did say a year, or until we mutually agreed to end it, but of course I would not hold you to such a term."

"I'm being more like desperate. I think I don't want to go back to nothingness just yet, and that's what it'll be. But maybe I could sort of hang around with the three kings a while longer, and that's bound to be interesting. But I don't really know them, and you do, so if you could tell me what to do—"

"I would be glad to, Breanna. I am gratified that you are not yet tired of my presence."

They head back to the duck-foot boat, and Tipsy explains that while it goes back and forth once a day automatically, Voracia can send it back whenever she likes.

quote:

They sat down to wait for Voracia. And while they rested, they exchanged stories. Justin's surmise turned out to be correct: the women had pulled a dastardly stunt, and only some good breaks and good thinking had gotten them out of it. Exactly as it had been for Breanna herself.

Voracia stops by, sending them back. Breanna asks the kings if she can tag along with them, and they agree. They find some zombies waiting at the dock. Breanna decides to finally confront this.

quote:

"No, I'm tired of running from problems." Breanna walked boldly up to the nearest zombie. "Hello. I'm Breanna, the one you've been chasing. But you can go home now, because your King Xeth has found love with Zyzzyva Zombie instead, and will marry her. They'll be returning here in a day or two, I think. Do you understand?"

The zombie seemed surprised. "Underzdand," he repeated after a suitable pause for cogitation.

"Good enough. You stay here to welcome them when they come." Then she extended her hand.

After another pause, the zombie extended his hand. Breanna grasped it firmly and shook it, not hard. It felt somewhat slimy, but she gave no sign of disgust. She had conquered her fear of zombies. "Good for you, Breanna!"

We also learn that the boat's name is Para, between the docks. (Pun Count: 265) They decide, however, to go fetch something before seeing Phil Istine: lip bomb. Yeah, we're going back to that.

quote:

"We are looking for Karla, Sharon, or Chea Centaur," Dor said. "Or Serena girl."

Just a reminder about how names work in Xanth. They get the lip bomb, but are required to demonstrate it for Breanna nad Tipsy.

quote:

King Dor looked at the girls. "I don't know—" But Breanna was curious. "Sure one of you can kiss me," she said. "I'll know you don't mean it, so it's no violation of the Adult Conspiracy, if that matters."

The kings looked doubtful, but didn't argue. "All right," Tipsy agreed uncertainly.

Karla brought out a jar of red stuff. "Come here. King Dor," she said with a typically centaurian obscure smile. She took paste on her fingers and carefully smeared it on his lips. Then she did the same with Bink. "Now kiss them."

The king and the prince turned. Bink approached Tipsy, and Dor approached Breanna. "I apologize for the necessity," he said.

"Oh, at least pretend some enthusiasm," Breanna said naughtily. "It isn't as if I haven't been kissed by a king before."

He took her in his arms and put his lips to hers. It was sort of pathetic, that this middle-aged man thought his kiss could have any real effect. Then her mouth detonated, and she would have fallen spinning to the ground, except for the fact that he was firmly supporting her. Stars and planets careened in circles around her head. The experience was devastatingly pleasant.

She found herself limp in his embrace. "Do what you want with me," she murmured blissfully.

"Have no fear of that." he replied. "It is only a demonstration, as we agreed." He set her on her feet and let go, and she was able to stand somewhat unsteadily.

They tell the girls about the upcoming wedding and promise to try to get them invites.

quote:

The centaur frowned. "That's not exactly the way it is done."

King Dor shrugged. "I'm a man. I don't know any better."

Then they head back to Phil.

quote:

Phil's eye fell on Breanna. "A black beauty," he said. "But isn't she about three years young?"

"Not me. white trash." Breanna retorted. "Her." She indicated Tipsy, who was carefully applying lip bomb.

"A troll moll?" Phil demanded incredulously. "I meant a human-type woman."

"She is half human," Bink said. "And a nice person with a warm heart."

"I don't care about her heart! She's a troll!"

"At least give her a try." King Dor suggested. "Kiss her."

"Why should I kiss a troll? It's no deal."

"Then let her kiss you," Bink said evenly as Tipsy got out of the boat.

Phil did not look pleased, but couldn't refute the logic because there wasn't enough to refute. So he stood disdainfully while Tipsy approached him and planted a hot kiss on his lips.

After that, Phil is happy to accept the deal.

quote:

"Okay, you'll do," Phil said. Then he glared at King Dor. "But still, she's a troll. That's only half a loaf. So I'll give you half a loaf in exchange: I'll just tell you who else knows where you live. Go to the king of the werewolves, in the Isle of Wolves."

King Dor did not look pleased, but Breanna saw that there was a certain logic to Phil Istine's decision. Tipsy was a nice woman, but she was a troll. With the help of the lip bomb she would surely make Phil about as happy as he deserved to be. Meanwhile, this meant that the three kings would need to visit another interesting place, and that Breanna would be able to enjoy their adventure a while longer.

Tipsy gives Breanna a bit of lip bomb for later, and Para takes them to the Isle of Wolves.

quote:

"Suppose Phil mistreats her?" she asked Bink. "I mean, some men are brutes."

Bink nodded. "I have a similar concern, though her talent of the cold shoulder could set him back if that proved necessary. That's one reason I decided to fetch the lip bomb. Can you imagine ever mistreating a man who kisses you with that?"

[...]

Bink smiled. "The effect slowly fades. I was first kissed by Sharon Centaur, when we delivered Aurora Winged Mermaid there. I always liked centaurs and have had good relations with them, but I never saw them as romantic objects. That is—" he paused, awkwardly.

"I understand," Breanna said. "No storks."

"Yes. But when Sharon kissed me, I just wanted to please her. It wasn't the same as love elixir; I wasn't in love with her. But she seemed infinitely desirable, and if she had wanted to summon the stork, I would have found it harder to resist than I did when the Isle of Women tempted me. When I saw her again, I felt a thrill, as if we had been lovers, though we had not. If one kiss had such effect, what would several have? So I think Phil Istine will never mistreat Tipsy."

Breanna nodded. "You're a lot older than you look, and married, and Sharon is of a different species, but that bomb got to you. I'm too young and King Dor's too old, as well as being married, but if it were just the two of us in this boat, I'd be growing up real fast. So you're right: Tipsy's safe with Phil. I'm glad of it, because she's a good woman."

Bink then explains to Breanna that this probably isn't all coincidence, because his talent is that he can't be harmed by magic. He's shocked that he can tell her, but that means she needs to know.

quote:

"Suppose a dragon chomps you? That's pretty direct, and you'd need direct protection."

"Yes. So the dragon will not try to chomp me, or if it does try, something seemingly coincidental will interfere so that it doesn't happen. Another dragon might appear on the scene, distracting it, or it might fall in a hole it didn't see because it was looking at me instead of the ground,"

Funny, didn't it used to be that he'd not be safe against a purely physical threat like that? Or is that just swords and not innately magical beings? Bink demonstrates his talent - Breanna can push him into the water, but not use the protection racket to hit him.

quote:

"Okay," she said dubiously. She aimed a blow at his nose, but pulled her punch without touching him. "Bink, there's nothing stopping me. I can't do this to you."

"Do it," he said firmly.

So she aimed for his cheek and tried a light blow. It landed. "Bink, I tell you, there's nothing stopping me. I don't dare try to really—"

"Let me try it," Justin said.

"Okay." She relinquished control of her arm to him.

Her arm lifted, formed a tight fist, and shot directly toward Bink's nose.

The boat suddenly swerved, causing the fist to miss, and she sprawled halfway across Bink's lap. "Sorry," the boat said. "There was a piece of sharp wreckage I didn't see until the last moment, and I had to swerve. Usually I'm more alert."

She tries again, to be sure.

quote:

A large soft ball flew between them. Her fist punched into it, and it pressed against Bink's face, cushioning the blow so that he wasn't hurt. Where had the ball come from?

A snout poked out of the water. "May we have our ball back, miss?" the sea creature inquired. "Sorry it got in your way."

"Who or what are you?" Breanna asked it.

"I am a manatee," it said. "I was just playing a ball game with my family."

Three more snouts appeared. "I am his wife, the womanatee," a large one said.

"I'm his son, the boyatee," a smaller one said.

"I'm his daughter, the girlatee," the smallest one said.

A fifth snout appeared, rising into an animal head. "And I'm the Seal of Approval," it said. "Family games are good. You wouldn't want to interfere, would you?"

(Pun Count: 270)

quote:

"I believe that we were required to interact," Bink said. "There must be some devious magical threat to my well-being, so my talent is acting to turn it aside by seeming coincidence. So it put us together, and is keeping us together. This adventure is clearly not yet finished."

They try to figure out what the threat is. Bink reasons that it must have to do with why he was youthened. They make landfall.

quote:

"That's the Isle of Wolves," the boat said. It moved to shore, waddled onto the beach, and stopped. "King Wolverton's den is down that path."

(Pun Count: 271)

quote:

"Thank you," King Dor said as they disembarked. "I hope our trade of conveyances was worthwhile for you."

"It certainly was," Para replied. "I loved flying. And it was nice being able to talk aloud. And peering up under girl's skirts."

"I kept my skirt close and tight!" Breanna retorted hotly.

"But Tipsy Troll didn't, and her legs were pretty good, considering."

"Well, good luck peeking under other skirts," Breanna said, mollified. She was discovering that this particular game could be fun to play, so her outrage was mostly for show.

They head in.

quote:

Suddenly a wolf appeared. Its fur was metallic. It screeched to a stop when it saw them; the squeal came from its four paws scraping along the ground. Then it became a man. He was furry enough on the body to remain fairly decent. "Who are you, and what do you want here?" he demanded.

"We are three kings and a young woman, come to see King Wolverton."

[...]

"Oh." The werewolf reconsidered. "I am Wolfram. Follow me." He resumed wolf form and loped back down the path.

(Pun Count: 272)

quote:

Soon they came to a hill. A sign labeled it Wolverton Mountain. This was evidently the home of the king wolf.

Sure enough, a large wolf emerged from a den as they reached the top of the hill. He became a man. "Why, you are King Dor of Xanth," he said, surprised. "The one who makes things talk."

Wolverton demands a service to reveal where Castle Roogna is, however.

quote:

"You can talk my son Jeremy into doing his duty and starting training to assume the kingship when I pass on to that great other hunting ground."

"He doesn't want to be king after you?" King Dor asked, surprised.

"He is in a mottled funk, and doesn't want to do anything."

"Well, we'll talk to him," King Dor agreed.

King Wolverton led them to the mottled funk, which turned out to be a grove of mottled funk trees. "He is in there."

(Pun Count: 273) They find Jeremy and ask him to talk, but he is too apathetic. Breanna kisses him, and a bit of lip bomb remained, so he wakes the hell up. He asks her her age, but decides 15 is too young to be his mate.

quote:

"I'm nobody's ideal mate, and least of all yours. I've already been through all that with one king. What kind of a girl do you think I am?" Jeremy assumed wolf form and stared at her. Then he returned to human form. "I think you are an assertive runaway from your home village, with the talent of seeing in blackness, and a tree in your mind."

See, Jeremy can read minds while he's a wolf. But not when he's a person. The reason he doesn't want to train to be king is a curse.

quote:

"I doubt it. But you might as well know. When I was young I roamed out from the isle, across the continent of Xanth, heedless of anything. I had no fear of monsters, because I could read their minds, and evade them before they could close on me. So I was somewhat reckless, and I fear in retrospect, at times obnoxious."

"Express sympathy, now that you have him talking. We need to know his problem."

"Well, we all get that way at times," Breanna said.

"But I was chronically that way. Finally it caught up with me. In my brash ignorance I trampled a private garden of boysenberries and girlsenberries, ruining the crop. An old Curse Fiend Woman came out, saw the damage, and cursed me."

(Pun Count: 275)

quote:

"The curse fiends all have the same talent they can blast a hole in the ground or kill trees or blow people into oblivion with their curses."

"That must have been painful," Breanna said.

Why does Breanna have to be told that? The Blackwave settled right on their lake.

quote:

"This wasn't a normal curse. She was one of their ranking people, and had perfected a worse curse."

Breanna had an idea. "Can you project your thoughts too? So you can show me exactly what happened?"

Jeremy assumed wolf form. Then, suddenly, Breanna found herself in the trampled berry patch, with little boysen and girlsenberries squished all around her, their juice on her fur.

The old Curse Fiend appeared. "You despicable creature!" she shouted. "You have ruined my crop! May you be cursed to suffer as you have made me suffer."

"How's that?" Breanna Werewolf asked.

"These berries would have brought delight to courting couples, enabling them to recognize their ideal partners. So you will suffer the same loss of delight. There will be only one perfect life's companion for you, a foreign woman, but you will not be able to find her. She will have to find you, and you will know her only when she declares her love for you. But she will not know that you are her ideal mate, so will not look for you. And when she passes the age of twenty one without finding you, the two of you will never get together, and you will be doomed to be with some lesser creature, knowing that you might have had perfect happiness, but forfeited it by being thoughtless and stupid. Now depart, you cretin; the curse is complete."

Breanna departed, her tail between her legs. She knew that every word of the curse was true.

Breanna explains the issue to the kings.

quote:

The werewolf, back in human form, nodded agreement. "I have looked everywhere, but found no perfect woman. Oh, there have been many who expressed interest in me, but when they did, I know they were not the one. They just wanted to be princesses or queens. I want the one who will love me for what I truly am, not caring about my status. I must find her before she passes twenty one, or lose her forever. And I can't find her."

"But that's not the curse," Breanna said. "She has to find you."

"I have searched by ranging widely, telling women of the curse, so that if any should be the right one, she will be encouraged to come to me. That is how I have tried to nullify that aspect. But it has all been for naught. I fear my true love has already passed the critical age, and I am forever lost."

"This is a negative assumption. He is clearly in this funk because he has given up hope of success."

"Okay. Jeremy," Breanna said in businesslike fashion. "Either she's over twenty one and it's too late, or she isn't. There's no point in figuring she's over, because that's hopeless. So you have to figure she's under, and you can still find her, or rather, have her find you. Because that's the only way you can possibly win."

Jeremy agrees to go back to kingship training if he can get the perfect girlfriend. He just needs true love to have ambition. The kings decide Breanna has to be the main helper here, as the only woman.

quote:

"Oh. Well, I'll do my best." She addressed Jeremy again. "Now this perfect woman is foreign. That means she's not a werewolf?"

"At least is not a werewolf of the Isle of Wolves, though I have checked the local bitches too."

"The local what’s?"

"A female canine is a bitch. It is not a term of disrespect in this context."

Breanna decides to assume that his ideal girlfriend is human, or at least can be, because she has no idea how to impress anyone else. She gets Jeremy to hide his crown and be just any werewolf.

quote:

"Perhaps you should be a woman passing by, and he tries to impress you." King Dor suggested.

"Okay. Impress me, Jeremy." Breanna walked just outside the glade, turned, and walked innocently back in. The three kings faded circumspectly into the background.

Jeremy became a huge wolf and rose up with a horrendous growl.

"Eeeeeek!" Breanna screamed. "The big bad wolf is going to eat me up!"

The wolf became the man. "No go?"

"No go," Breanna agreed. "I mean, impress me as a man. Like for a date." She walked out of the glade, and back in.

"Hello, luscious maiden," Jeremy said. "Have a date." He proffered a thyme berry.

(Pun Count: 276)

quote:

"My fault, I guess, for using a Mundane term. I meant a date, as in boy and girl go somewhere together and do something fun together."

"But you are too young for that."

"I don't mean storks!" she exploded. "Isn't there anything else on a man's mind?"

"Should there be?"

"At ease, Breanna. It was a natural misunderstanding on his part, and he reacted appropriately. He's a decent sort." So she stifled her natural reaction, and used the occasion for some necessary education. "Some subtlety may be in order here. Men may think that storks are in constant need of summoning, but women have other things on their minds."

"They do?" The werewolf seemed amazed.

"Definitely. So get the stork out of your mind. Anyway, we're play-acting here, so my age is irrelevant. So don't think of storks, not because I'm too young, but because no woman thinks of them until late in the game. Make her love you, then maybe she'll think of the stork. Eventually."

"Actually, the women of the Isle of Women seemed to think of nothing but storks, according to the report of the kings."

"They were trying to nab a king. That's different."

"I suppose it is. It seems to be true that men have storks, or at least the act of summoning them, on their minds more than women do."

Jeremy shook his head. "This is more difficult than I ever imagined. How can women exist without constantly thinking of storks?"

"We have disciplined minds. So just try to figure out something that you and I might like to do together that has nothing to do with storks."

The man pondered, and cogitated, and thought, and considered, and reflected. Sweat formed on his brow.

"You stumped him."

Breanna almost laughed. "I guess I'd better give you a hint. How about taking a nice walk together?"

They ask about places to go on the Isle of Wolves.

quote:

"Well, there's the quandary."

"So let's take a walk and go see that."

"If you insist. It's really not much, especially with the masses."

"You aren't making this very interesting," Breanna said. "What masses?"

"The mass confusion and mass hysteria. People go near them, and—"

(Pun Count: 278)

quote:

Breanna made a gesture as of tearing her hair. "None of this will do. We'd better stick to boy-girl. Suppose we just walk around in a circle and make interesting conversation?"

"But you said that girls don't think of anything interesting."

Breanna opened her mouth, but Justin intercepted her expostulation before it got out. "He means your refusal to think of stork summoning. Change the subject."

Good advice, again. "I think I'm just going to have to tell you some things to talk about. But that means I won't be able to judge how impressive it is. We need another girl."

Breanna tells him to focus on appearance.

quote:

"I don't mean me personally! I mean any woman. You have to compliment her. You have to scratch for nice things to say about her. If she's got distinctive features, you notice them. Whatever they are. Even if they're really not much. Now try noticing me."

He studied her head. "You have lustrous long black hair."

She clapped her hands. "That's it! You're making me be flattered, and that makes me like you better. Try again."

He looked at her face. "You have glowing green eyes."

"Right on!"

He looked at her mid section. "You have a nice little—"

"Nuh-uh! Off limits. There's nothing in that region you're supposed to notice."

He looked at her chest. "You—"

"No!"

"But there's not much else to notice."

"Then get creative. And after that, with luck, she'll ask about you, and you must tell her something moody and feelingful, evoking her sympathy, and then follow up with whatever seems apt. Just keep the dialogue going nicely, and she'll get interested in you. Then if she's the one. you're home free."

"I never did any of this before."

"Which is maybe why you never got anywhere. Let's see what else we can we arm you with." She looked around. "Any of you have suggestions?"

"The weather?" King Dor asked.

loving experts at talkign to ladies, these guys.

quote:

"Okay, Jeremy, if there's awkward silence, and you can't think of anything else, talk about the weather. Not bad weather; interesting weather."

"This all seems horribly far-fetched."

"Women have far-fetched minds. Now let's review this, to be sure you have it straight. Then we'll have to go out and test it on a real woman."

They worked on it, and bit by bit he seemed to be getting it. But Breanna was really worried about whether it would every play in real life. This promised to be a long, grueling. and probably fruitless exercise. Meanwhile, she was tired; she normally slept in the daytime, and she hadn't had much of a chance yet today.

Pun Count: 278 by the end of Chapter 11.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Well that's the lamest most convoluted non-curse I've seen to date.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 12 stars Dolph, for a given definition of starring. He is bored by this whole business with Jeremy, so he goes exploring as a bird. He spots Para bringing Jenny Elf and Sammy to the island. Clearly she has been sent to find and bring them back. Thus, they'll be able to go home whenever, without jumping through these hoops.

quote:

He was going to fly down and introduce himself, as Jenny was his friend. Then he thought of something: Jenny could be their ingenue! She was female, and of age, and didn't know what they were doing. So he had better not tell her anything; he would warn the others, and thus give Jeremy some real practice.

Of course. Bink assures Dolph that it would not be ethical to leave without getting Jeremy a girlfriend, and they all decide Jenny will be a great practice subject.

quote:

"Is that fair?" Breanna asked. "To put one of your friends in that position?"

"You think I'm going to chomp off her arm?" Jeremy demanded.

"No. It's just that—well, I suppose it's all right." She turned to the werewolf. "But make sure you remember that you're just practicing. You don't actually want to summon any storks. You want to see what works, so that you can go out and maybe win your perfect love."

Potential assholitude of the decision brought up and swiftly dismissed! Breanna heads to bed, while Dolph watches over Jeremy and Jenny. Jenny comes to see the trio, telling them that they have to come back for wedding rehearsals.

quote:

"We will, soon," Dolph said, "But right now we have something else to do. Would you mind waiting with Jeremy?" he gestured to the werewolf, who looked tongue-tied.

"Oh, sure," she agreed. "Just don't be too long. I promised to bring you back to Castle Roogna within a day."

"Castle Roogna?"

Jenny lifted a brow. "You know. Home."

"Home!" Dor exclaimed, remembering.

They explain about the Lethe water.

quote:

The three of them walked on, leaving Jenny with Jeremy. As soon as they went around a bend in the path. Dolph became an invisible winged man and looped back. He had always been able to change forms, but as he had grown older and gained experience, his talent had broadened and deepened, until now he could do much more. For example, he had learned to assume other human forms, so that he could make himself more handsome or muscular, or smarter. He seldom did it, because Electra liked him just the way he was natural, but he could do it when he had reason. Now he had reason: he wanted to retain his full human intelligence, which could get cramped in small-headed bird form, yet be able to move silently without leaving footprints. So this form was good for that, and he would change it when he needed to.

He flitted back to eavesdrop on Jeremy and Jenny. He felt a bit guilty for not telling Jenny what was going on, but if he had done so, that would have spoiled Jeremy's test. He would tell her everything as soon as it was feasible.

Dolph pushes Jeremy to compliment Jenny, and he mentions that he likes her glasses. Which she says are nothing special and worn because she needs them, which...invalidates it? I guess? He then says he likes her hands, but he wasn't paying close enough attention to notice she only has four fingers. Jeremy explains that he's trying to learn how to impress women because of his curse. He also mentions that he's a werewolf, which Jenny is delighted by.

quote:

"Well, I did back home. But I never met any wolves here in Xanth. so I couldn't ride. Anyway, it isn't as if I could ride just any wolf."

"It isn't?"

"No, it has to be a wolf friend. That's—well, it gets complicated to explain."

"In my wolf form, I can read minds. May I read yours?"

"A telepathic wolf? Certainly; why not? I have nothing to hide. and you can get the concept much more quickly and completely."

Jeremy changed to wolf form. Jenny smiled and stroked his fur. She was a small girl, and he was a big wolf, so his head was as high as hers. She showed no fear at all; instead she was plainly delighted to be in the company of a wolf.

We don't get the explanation that Jeremy does, though, he just suddenly gets it. He finds her origins exotic and neat, but she downplays it. Jeremy offers to let her ride him, so she does. They run around for a while.

quote:

Jenny turned and hugged him around the neck and shoulders. Then she drew back, abashed. "Oh! I forget you had changed form. Hugging wolves is natural, but—"

"I know what you mean." He changed back, and she hugged him again.

Then she drew back. "What's this about the curse? I mean, how do you know there's only one woman for you?"

Jeremy resumed man form. "It's all part of the curse. If I don't find her before she passes twenty one, I'll never find her at all. So the three kings and Breanna are helping me learn how to— well, never mind."

Jeremy explains, and Jenny offers to help because she loved the ride.

quote:

"Oh, thank you, Jenny. This will help a lot." He paused, looking down at his feet again. "I'm sorry I was so clumsy. I mean, complimenting your hands when I hadn't even really seen them. But I do think they are nice hands."

"Four fingers and all?"

"I felt those hands grip my fur as you rode with perfect balance. I don't care how many fingers you have; they're great." He took one of her hands and kissed it.

"Oh." Jenny blushed.

"Sorry. I got carried away. I do clumsy things when—"

"Oh, stop it. I'm not embarrassed, I'm touched. Nobody ever did that to me before."

I really get the sense that Jeremy wears a fedora. They head back to the others, while Jeremy explains about Breanna. Sammy has vanished, and Jeremy reasons...well, pulls out of his rear end that Sammy must be with Breanna. The others are surprised to see Jenny riding Jeremy, and it turns out that Sammy is indeed sleeping next to Breanna. She wakes up and greets Jenny - Justin knows her, though Breanna doesn't.

quote:

Breanna looked at Sammy, who was now stretching. "Yes. he joined me in a cat nap. He's good company."

(Pun Count: 279)

quote:

"No, I'm okay. That nap will hold me for a while. I can sleep at night if I have to. We need to get Jeremy trained."

"Yes." Jenny agreed. "But now that I know his nature, I relate to him as a wolf. That distorts my awareness."

Breanna smiled. "Something always messes up. I know how it is."

Jeremy tries to compliment Jenny's ears, then notices after doing so that they're pointed.

quote:

"You're going to have to learn to notice things." Breanna said. "So you can make accurate compliments."

Dolph becomes a wolf and wanders off. He learns that a zombie werewolf is coming to the island, and the wolves are preparing to repel it. Dolph heads back to tell the others.

quote:

"I think you're getting it," Breanna was telling Jeremy. "But Jenny's right; she's not right, because she sees you as a wolf prince."

"Prince?" Jenny asked, startled.

"Oops, I messed up," Breanna said. "Again."

"Yes, I am a werewolf prince," Jeremy said. "We didn't tell you, because I was supposed to impress you as a man, not as a prince. Instead I impressed you as a wolf."

Jenny looked crestfallen. "I guess that means you won't be free to— I mean a prince has better things to do than carry around stray elves."

He put his arm around her. "Jenny, I love carrying you! I'll be glad to do it any time. I never before encountered anyone who could ride like that. Or anyone who valued my wolfishness rather than my princeness. I want to be your wolf-friend."

She shook her head. "Princes have duties. They have to learn to be kings. They can't just run around with friends and explore Xanth." She looked at Dor. "Isn't that so?"

"That is so," Dor agreed. "And this is why we are trying to help Jeremy. He must abate his curse so he can be ready to be a king, in due course."

"But I don't care about being king," Jeremy said. "Not if I have to marry the wrong woman. I'd rather be a wolf-friend, and range all Xanth."

"That would be second best," Jenny said, a tear in her eye. "We can't let it happen. You must find your true love."

Yeah, we all can see where this is going. But not yet. Dolph explains about the zombie werewolf, which pisses Breanna off.

quote:

"The zombies have a right to exist too," Breanna said hotly. "So they're a bit different from others, so's everybody. I'm black, Jenny's an elf, you're a shape changer—we're all different in our special ways. They should let it come here."

"I thought you might feel that way." Dolph said.

They go see Wolverton, with Dolph carrying Breanna through the air while flying. (He became a winged man.)

quote:

She looked around. "Oh. this is as much fun as flying in that duck boat! Just don't drop me."

"I wouldn't do that," Dolph said.

"I was teasing." She kissed him on the cheek.

He wavered, and had to correct his course. He knew he was blushing.

"Sorry," Breanna said. "I get into more trouble by being impulsive."

The wolves are shocked that Breanna would defend a zombie, especially since they want to handle this privately.

quote:

"Yes! Somebody's got to. All they want to do is get along, and they're not bad folk. They can be useful too. Suppose a gruesome monster invaded the isle, and it killed any of you who tried to stop it? A zombie can't be killed. A zombie could fight that monster, or maybe disgust it so it went away. That's why they have zombies to defend Castle Roogna. You should welcome that zombie werewolf!"

The werewolves passed a glance around. "Sire, she is making sense," one said.

The king looked at Breanna cannily. "Some folk are great for recommending things for other folk that they wouldn't do themselves."

"Oh, yeah? Like what?"

"Like associating with zombies."

Dolph knew what was coming. The werewolves didn't know about Breanna's recent history. He kept his mouth shut.

[...]

"So if I touch that zombie, you'll let him stay here without trying to freeze him out?"

There was another glance. "That depends on the magnitude of the touch," the king said. "We will match your level of contact, in a general way."

"Okay, just watch me." She turned to Dolph. He picked her up again and flew toward the beach, while the others assumed wolf form and ran swiftly in the same direction.

Breanna approaches the zombie.

quote:

"Hello," Breanna said as the wolf got out of the boat. "Welcome to the Isle of Wolves. Will you defend it against all enemies, including gruesome monsters?"

The wolf nodded, and a bit of furry skin dropped to the ground. Dolph winced.

"Change form, please," Breanna said.

The wolf became a similarly decaying man. His eyes were sunken, and his lips had rotted away, so that his teeth were bare.

"I am Breanna of the Black Wave I'm not a werewolf, I'm just part of the welcoming committee Who are you?"

"Ztigma Zhombie."

Breanna paused, and Dolph knew she was consulting with Justin Tree "Stigma? As in a mark of disgrace or disease?"

"Yez."

"Fair enough," she said "Stigma, I'm going to give you a welcoming kiss. Hold out your arms."

The zombie did Breanna stepped into that clumsy embrace, wrapped her arms around the decaying torso, and planted a solid kiss on the lipless mouth. She held that pose for a more than sufficient moment, then disengaged. "You will like it here," she said "Now you can meet King Wolverton." She turned to face the werewolves.

"She did it," a werewolf said, shuddering "We're stuck for it."

"So we are," the king said "Well, a deal's a deal." He strode forward and shook the hand of the zombie. "Welcome," he said gruffly, and walked away, his hand stiff, as if needing to be plunged into a vat of boiling soap.

Dolph knew that after that, no other werewolf would criticize the zombie. He would get along.

Breanna walked back to join him. There was smear of ick on her mouth, and a chunk of rot on her shoulder Her green eyes were staring, as if encrusted with sickly slime "Help me," she whispered.

Dolph picked her up and flew her to another section of the beach, out of sight of the werewolves. He led her to the water, and then into it, setting her slippers on the dry sand He scooped up a handful of sea and washed off her face and hands. Then he touched up aspects of her clothing, though this made them damp.

Dolph tells Breanna about the Zombie Master and Millie, who are getting old, and how they usually speak for the zombies. She wonders who will replace them as the spokesmen for the undead. They're gonna need a living one, after all. Breanna decides that she wants to meet the Zombie Master or Millie, so Dolph flies her off to Castle Zombie. They go inside, and Breanna is shocked to find the place is only rotten on the outside. Dolph intoduces her to Millie and Jonathan, and Jonathan explains that he found Planet Zombie.

quote:

"Well, I finally managed to locate Planet Zombie," the Zombie Master said. "It is well along in the chain, but most of its creatures and plants are zombies, and its rocks are well eroded. Now Millie and I will be able to retire there, together with any zombies who wish to come. I believe that the majority will. But there remains one problem."

"Who is going to run Castle Zombie," Breanna said.

"Yes. We are the only living folk here, and there needs to be someone living, because other living folk may have a certain problem relating to zombies. So we will wait a few more years, until we train in someone else for this. Then at last we'll be able to go and relax."

Humfrey promised to work on finding a prospect, but so far, no luck.

quote:

"Yes, it is not an easy search." the Zombie Master said. "The man must have maturity, yet be young enough to remain for some time. The woman must be sensible enough to accept the presence of zombies. Age and youth combined."

A light flashed over Dolph's head. "Grandfather Bink," he exclaimed. "Bink and Chameleon! That must be why they got youthened!"

The Zombie Master's jaw dropped. "I never thought of that. Yes, they would be perfect. But they would have to want to do it. Do they?"

"I don't know. The subject never came up. I don't think Magician Humfrey ever spoke to them."

"Curious," the Zombie Master said. "Maybe he is waiting for them to think of it themselves. It's not the kind of position that anyone should be urged into; the desire should come from within."

"Maybe." Dolph agreed dubiously. "Yet Bink was right here, and didn't think of it."

"Some things take time," Millie said. "I did not understand zombies at first. Maybe Chameleon does not."

Breanna tours the castle, and Dolph talks to Jonathan about Stigma and how Breanna kissed him. Jonathan is impressed.

quote:

"She must be more of a person than she looks."

"I think so. She can be feisty and blunt, but she means well, and she learns from experience. After that, she was curious about Castle Zombie, so I brought her here for a visit." Dolph paused, then remembered something else. "She is more than she looks. Justin Tree is with her."

"Justin Tree! But isn't he firmly planted in the North Village?"

"Yes. But he craved some human adventure, so made a deal with Breanna. He shares her adventure, in exchange for his good advice. So she has the advantage of a truly mature perspective."

Neither one has any idea who the wedding that started this all is for. Dolph explains about Jeremy and the curse and why they can't go home yet, and Jonathan agrees that it's a terrible curse.

quote:

"I understand that the Curse Fiend Woman who made it was really angry. She wanted him to truly suffer, and she succeeded."

They stay to have a snack with Millie once Breanna returns, then head back.

quote:

"To fly at night, I must assume another form," Dolph said "It may not be as comfortable for you."

"That's okay I needed to unwind, after—after Stigma. This worked just fine."

Dolph became a large night hawk She made herself halfway comfortable in his talons, and he launched into the night sky. His vision in this form was excellent.

(Pun Count: 280) They spot Xeth and Zyzzyva on their way back, then land at the Isle of Wolves.

quote:

They reached the Isle of Wolves, which did not seem to fade out the way the other isles did. Maybe they could relate to it because other members of their party were there. It would have been real mischief, otherwise! Dolph glided in for a landing near the grove set Breanna down, and changed back to manform.

'poo poo, I forgot that was how these islands worked, uh...here, we'll just bring it up and assure people that this one is special.' They head back to the grove where everyone else is and head to bed.

Pun Count: 280 by the end of Chapter 12.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Wow yeah Jeremy could not be any more obviously tailor-made for Jenny could he. He's a telepathic wolf, she has a uterus, it is a match made in heaven. And the worst part is that this is by no means the most half-assed romance he's written.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
When was the last book that had a plot other than "two characters wander around looking at puns until they fall in love"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tezzor posted:

When was the last book that had a plot other than "two characters wander around looking at puns until they fall in love"
I... I don't remember...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Nihilarian posted:

I... I don't remember...

Source of Magic?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Roc and a Hard Place.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 13. Jenny is our star. She wakes up.

quote:

Today they had to find Jeremy's perfect woman, so he could be happy and focus on training for the werewolf kingship, and so the three kings could return to Castle Roogna and rehearse for their roles in the big wedding. The womenfolk, who paid much more attention to such things than menfolk did, were getting frantic.

Her eye fell on Breanna of the Black Wave. The girl was impetuous and assertive; Jenny liked that. She and Dolph had disappeared in the evening, so as not to interfere with the practice; Jenny wondered where they had gone. She would ask when they woke.

Meanwhile, Jenny and Jeremy would go to the Isle of Women, because there were many women there who were looking for princes, and he hadn't been there before. So that was the most likely place he would find his true love. She and the others would try to coach him through the interviews. With luck, they would have success. Otherwise—

She didn't finish the thought. They had to get him settled. Not just because they had business elsewhere. Because he was a nice wolf under an awful curse. Jenny was especially sensitive to the problems of wolves.

Jenny asks Sammy to find Jeremy's True Love, but Sammy just asks for belly rubs. I suspect he doesn't want to be involved in this plot any more than we do, and Jenny believes he doesn't give a poo poo. She then realizes that Jeremy could ask the Good Magician for help. Jeremy wakes up, and says that if they can't find his true love today, he will go to Humfrey.

quote:

"You're welcome. But maybe you'll be able to save that year, by finding her today. I understand there are many beautiful women on the Isle of Women." Then she thought of something. "But if they have all found dream princes now, maybe they won't be interested. Including your True Love, if she's there."

"I think a woman should prefer a real prince to a dream prince, if she has a choice," Jeremy said. "If she doesn't, then she's not the one for me."

Jenny smiled. "Maybe she would prefer to take both. One for her waking hours, the other for her sleeping hours. Would that bother you?"

Jeremy pondered. "I don't like to seem jealous, but yes, it would. I think that my dream woman should love me completely, as I would love her, and not be interested in anyone else, awake or asleep."

Jenny nodded. "That makes sense to me. You don't want the wrong woman; the right woman wouldn't want the wrong man, either. So if she's there, she'll welcome you. I hope she is and does."

Of course, there is the problem that men can't leave the Isle unmarried. They chat about the past chapters briefly.

quote:

Breanna looked suddenly stricken. "I just thought—suppose his ideal woman is on those dream worlds?"

For an instant Jenny felt panic. Then it passed. "It doesn't matter."

"Doesn't matter!"

"Because every person who ever lived in Xanth, or ever will live, or ever might live there, is in those worlds. That includes the ones who are in Xanth now. So of course his ideal woman is there. But she must also be here in Xanth. Because why would the Curse Fiend Woman bother to curse him if it were meaningless? She knew that there is a perfect love for him here in Xanth, so she cursed him to stop him from getting her."

Breanna pondered, then nodded. "That works for me. So she is accessible, if we can only find her in time. And I agree: the Good Magician should know. He solved my problem—not in the way I expected, but just as good, really—and he can solve Jeremy's problem. So let's give it one whale of a try today, and if that doesn't work, take him to the Good Magician. That will take care of him, and the rest of you will still be able to get back home in time for your big event."

Jenny and Jeremy decide not to risk the Isle of Women so that Jeremy can't get trapped in a bad marriage. Breanna then demonstrates the use of lip bomb on Jenny. Para wanders in and tries to get them going. They end up deciding to go with it over Jenny's protests, and she has no idea why but gives up arguing. Jeremy for some reason decides this is okay despite his decision not a page before. They return and all the men immediately freak out at the crowd of mostly naked women. Voracia geets Breanna, who convinces her to wear normal clothing briefly. They decide to parade the women for Jeremy without getting out of the boat. (The women, see, want something for when they're not dreaming, so are still interested.)

quote:

"But that's not the way we operate," Voracia said. "We each must get our turn to fascinate him."

"You can do that right here."

Voracia shrugged. "Very well. I am first. How do you like me, Jeremy?"

The werewolf eyed her thoroughly. Jenny could appreciate why. Voracia had the kind of face and figure Jenny knew better than even to dream of. "You look very interesting. But my concern is not how you look, but whether you are my true love. I will know only if you approach me, speaking love."

"I can do that," she said. She walked toward him, her hair flowing, her halter jiggling, her shorts tightening and moving most suggestively. Jenny was privately jealous, being forcibly reminded that her own body would never fill out clothing like that, or move like that. So she would never be able to fascinate a man in that manner.

"I love you. Prince Jeremy Werewolf, and want to marry you." Voracia said dulcetly as her clothing turned translucent. Jenny was jealous again: she could never lie like that, either. Oh, the woman surely wanted to marry him, but how could she love him, in just these few minutes? She just wanted to be a princess or queen.

Jeremy shook his head. "You are not the one."

Jenny was privately gratified, though she knew she shouldn't be. It was just that she thought that things like bulging halters and semi-see-through shorts should not decide a lifetime relationship. What about character? Compatibility? Harmony of lifestyle? Would Voracia even want to associate with him when he was in his wolf form? Yet the other women of the Isle might be no better.

"But how can you be sure?" Voracia said, her halter shrinking so that her bosom had to struggle to stay partly inside. "Come out of that canoe and join me, and I will show you such a good time."

"I don't want a good time. I want my one true love."

Her expression became less pretty. Her upper garment assumed the likeness of brands and brass knuckles, which Jenny realized made sense for a bra. "Then go soak your stupid head!" she flared, turning away. Her shorts condensed into a G-string so that her flexing bottom looked bare.

(Pun Count: 282)

quote:

Jeremy's eyeballs began to steam. Breanna reached out to put her hand before his eyes. That broke his connection before the orbs were cooked. "Thank you," he gasped.

[...]

The other women tried to impress Jeremy, flashing their charms and speaking lines of love, but one by one he turned them down. Some were gracious, some not. Some cried. Jenny saw how guilty that made the werewolf feel, but he would not accept any wrong woman. It was clear that he was both decent and a person of conscience, and this was not the delight it might have been for another man.

Jenny saw that the three kings, bored, were joining Breanna's snooze. Apparently the sheer amount of curvature being exposed had worn down their freakout circuits, and of course they had seen it before, when they were the ones being tempted.

"I am Polly Tician," the current woman was saying. "I love you. Prince Werewolf, and will make you happy for the rest of your years, with two carts in your garage."

(Pun Count: 283)

quote:

"I believe you," Jeremy said, surprised.

"Wait," Jenny said, alarmed. "Find out her talent."

"What's your talent?" he asked Polly.

"I make others believe what I promise, but then I don't do it."

"You're not the one," he said. Then, privately to Jenny: "Thank you. She was persuading me, but you were right. Her promises are meaningless, however persuasive."

The next was a creature so ethereally lovely that it had to be artificial. Perhaps she was a demoness. Jenny was becoming increasingly cynical and disgusted by this process of mate-hunting.

"I am Miss Succubus," she said. "I lost my body in the Void, but managed to save my spirit. Now I can suck up whatever is near. If you would like a soft girl, I can suck up feathers and cloud-stuff. If you prefer a hard woman, I can suck up rocks. If you have a dirty mind—" She glanced at the ground, and the dirt around her sucked up into her form, turning her brown. "Unfortunately, I can retain substance for less time, each time, so I will eventually blink out of existence, unless I find true love. Are you the one to give it to me?"

(Pun Count: 287)

quote:

Jenny was surprised, and she saw that Jeremy was too. This was a different girl, and a different approach. "I don't know," the werewolf said. "Will you speak the words?"

"No."

Jenny and Jeremy were startled. "No?" he asked.

"Not unless it's true. As yet I hardly know you, so I can't love you."

"She could be the one," Jenny murmured. "She's honest."

"But my curse requires the woman to come to me," Jeremy said. "I can recognize her only if she approaches me with love."

A muddy tear formed at Miss Succubus's eye. "I can say that I wish it to be so, and that I hope to be the one. But I can't say—"

Jeremy stood and stepped out of the boat. He took the woman in his arms. "Can you say that you feel it at least a little?" he kissed her.

"Oh, yes!" she replied after a moment. "A little feeling, and a lot of longing."

Jeremy looked sad. "But now I know you are not the one. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too," she said, her whole face turning muddy. She turned and walked away.

"I hate this!" the prince swore. "I hate what I did to her. But it was the only way to know."

[...]

The next woman was distinctly unimpressive. Her features were plain, her hair was straggly, and her dress was nothing much. "I am the Iron Maiden," she said. She lifted her right hand, which carried an iron. "I can iron anything. I'm a good, dull, housewife."

(Pun Count: 289)

quote:

"It's a useful skill." Jeremy said courteously.

"My other form is different," she said. Suddenly she was made of iron, with metallic features and a short sword where the iron had been before. "If you need some fighting to be done—"

This was a surprise. But Jenny saw that this was in some respects an ideal woman, with both domestic and combat skills.

"Say the words." Jeremy said.

"I love you and want to—"

"You are not the one. I'm sorry."

"I suspected that," the Iron Maiden said sadly. "I hope you find the right one." She departed.

"Some of these are nice girls," he muttered "I would have been satisfied with either of the last two."

"They are people, as well as women," Jenny agreed. She was increasingly impressed with the werewolf prince's humanity. He was truly searching, and did not like hurting others. But if none of the women here was the one, how would he escape the Isle?

Which I guess implies that Voracia is not, in fact, a person, just a woman? Meanwhhile, a woman named Krissica is coming to warn everyone of danger.

quote:

"They're—they're fighting," the woman gasped. "And summoning storks!"

"You mean men are invading the Isle?" Voracia demanded.

"No! Women are fighting women. And—"

"Girl, you're not making any sense. We don't fight among ourselves. And we certainly don't summon storks by ourselves."

"This sounds like real trouble." Jenny murmured to Jeremy. "And Voracia’s being balky instead of checking into it. Maybe we should check."

Jeremy decides to investigate. Voracia demands to know where his authority is. He claims that, by virtue of being a prince, he outranks everyone else present, and is going to do what he wants.

quote:

"Then I rank you. I am trained to act when action is necessary, and it may be necessary now. If it is a false alarm, we will return to the boat and resume interviewing."

Voracia opened her mouth, but nothing came out. Jenny was too busy running to look smug. The prince had shut her up. Because he was indeed a prince, a leader of people.

Piers Anthony has this weird boner for hereditary monarchs. Which is better than his weird boner for other things, I guess?

quote:

They ran to the beach, and stopped. Jeremy changed back to man-form as Jenny dismounted. There was something peculiar happening. Plants were writhing, two by two. At the edge of the water, seaweeds were wrestling. Crabs were entangled with each other, trying to pinch off each other's heads while at the same time putting their bodies together. Insects were trying to sting each other while trying to do something else. Two women were fighting while stripping off their own clothes. Two birds flew in from nearby trees. Suddenly they tried to join together, while savagely pecking each other.

"What can this be?" Jeremy asked.

"It looks like hate—and love," Jenny said. "As if they drank from a hate spring and love spring. As if they are trying to kill each other while signaling the stork. But of course that's nonsense."

Jeremy turned to Krissica. who was just catching up. "Are there any love or hate springs on the Isle?"

"No!" she gasped. "But it sure looks as if—"

"Are there any on nearby isles?"

"Yes, on Selfish Steam Isle. It has springs of every kind. Folk go there to feel better or worse about themselves."

(Pun Count: 290)

quote:

Jeremy gazed across the sea. There was a neighboring island with a cone in its center, belching smoke and vapor. "I think those springs have been heated to vapor. We are suffering an invisible cloud of love and hate elixir. So anything caught in it has a love/hate relationship with its closest neighbor."

"Yes!" Krissica agreed. "That must be it."

"We must take immediate action, because we don't know which way that cloud is moving. It could settle on the center of the Isle and ruin it. Krissica, go fetch as many women as you can, with bags. They must scoop up colored dust and bring it here."

Jeremy gets Voracia to gather all the winged creatures on the island, and then heads off to get the kings. Dolph joins the winged monsters, while Dor will help get the cloud to identify itself. Bink decides to help with this. Breanna and Jenny direct traffic.

quote:

The boat splashed out of the pond and ran through the forest. It did seem to know where it was going. They passed a woman on her way somewhere. "Hey, Molly Coddle!" Breanna called. "We're on a mission to save the children from something dreadful. We can use your help."

(Pun Count: 291) They start directing the women with the colored dust, while Dor makes it talk so they don't get caught in it. Dolph starts dumping the dust over the cloud, and then the winged monsters can blow it away. The cloud drifts offshore and is eventually whisked off by a natural wind. Everyone is saved. Jeremy credits Jenny with getting him to realize he was the best one to handle all this. Dor realizes that it is probably Bink's fault that they happened to be present just in time to save the island.

quote:

Breanna perked up. "Justin says no. it was bound to happen sometime, with that Selfish Steam Isle next door. If the women hadn't been distracted by trying to impress Jeremy, they probably would have handled it well enough themselves."

"I guess so," Dolph agreed, not seeming much concerned.

They head back to the parade, but none of the women are right. Jenny begs Breanna to take over on helping Jeremy. She wanders off to go cry. Bink comes to talk to her, and Jenny admits that she's falling for Jeremy and can't stand helping him impress other women. Bink notes that she turns 21 on the day of the upcoming wedding.

quote:

"A coincidence." he repeated thoughtfully. Then he returned to the subject. "Jenny, you have to go back. You relate to him better, because you're a wolf-rider. He was pretty much hopeless, until you came, and then he started improving. There is a continuing frisson between you. You can't desert him now."

"But I can't do it anymore!"

"Then you must tell him why."

Bink won't let her weasel out of this. Jeremy shows up to ask Jenny for help - without her, he's getting clumsy again. Jenny admits that she can't, because she loves him. Jeremy realizes, instantly, that she is his true love.

quote:

Now it registered. But she realized what he was doing. "That can't be. I'm not even of this world. You deserve so much better. Don't do this just because you feel sorry for me. Don't ruin your life." She stumbled on.

He strode after her and caught her. He turned her around. "You didn't know! You didn't suspect. You don't believe it. You are a foreign woman. You would never have come to me. That's part of the curse. But it's broken now. Jenny, I love you."

Her tears renewed. "Don't ruin your life," she repeated brokenly. "It's not worth it. For anyone."

"I didn't recognize you, though in retrospect it's obvious. A wolf-rider! One who loves both my forms. That curse blinded me. But no more."

She just sagged in his grasp and wept, not assimilating his explanation. "Let me go."

He didn't answer in words. He drew her in close and brought his face to hers. He kissed her.

The music of a thousand choruses sounded in her head. The explosion of a thousand lip bombs spread out from her mouth. The love of a thousand worlds suffused her body. All doubt was obliterated. She sank into blissful oblivion.

When she revived, she was lying in the boat. People were talking. "I think we know now for whom that big wedding is," Bink was saying. "Everybody loves Jenny."

"And why Jenny had to write all those invitations." Dolph agreed. "That's the bride's job."

"The Good Magician knew." Dor said. "She had to come to the Isle of Wolves, but the curse prevented her from knowing why."

Everyone decides that it must have been fate.

quote:

"We will be married at Castle Roogna, on your birthday. Then I will proceed with my training to be king. But you will always be with me. I hope you won't mind being a princess or a queen, between rides."

"Just so long as it is with you."

He kissed her again. That put her out for the duration of their return trip.

Pun Count: 291 by the end of Chapter 13.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

quote:

"They're—they're fighting," the woman gasped. "And summoning storks!"

"You mean men are invading the Isle?" Voracia demanded.

"No! Women are fighting women. And—"

"Girl, you're not making any sense. We don't fight among ourselves. And we certainly don't summon storks by ourselves."

"This sounds like real trouble." Jenny murmured to Jeremy. "And Voracia’s being balky instead of checking into it. Maybe we should check."
I'm going to be upfront and say I am not reading this poo poo very closely.

But, is it just me, or is he casually denying the existence of lesbians in this scene? I honestly never even thought of whether Piers Anthony had any views on homosexuality. Is this a common theme I missed?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty much exactly what he's doing, yes.

I mean, arguably there aren't going to be any lesbians on the island of ladies hunting for rich men to marry them?

But no he's denying the existence of homosexuality, I don't think he believes it's real. It's not that he hates it, it's that he literally does not conceive of it within the framework of Xanth. IIRC it comes up and is seen as okay in some of his other works, albeit through his bizarre gender-sexual-roles lens?

But in Xanth loving everyone is straight.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Xanth is basically cargo cult Shakespearean comedy, with the sex jokes, plays on words and bloody-minded determination to normalize relations with a flurry of weddings at the end, but none of the skill and artistry.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

quote:

"They are people, as well as women," Jenny agreed.

Ahh, yes. Most women aren't people, you know.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Pretty much exactly what he's doing, yes.

I mean, arguably there aren't going to be any lesbians on the island of ladies hunting for rich men to marry them?

But no he's denying the existence of homosexuality, I don't think he believes it's real. It's not that he hates it, it's that he literally does not conceive of it within the framework of Xanth. IIRC it comes up and is seen as okay in some of his other works, albeit through his bizarre gender-sexual-roles lens?

But in Xanth loving everyone is straight.

I hate that I know this, but it crops up in one of his later books. If you're gay in Xanth, you get put in a straight jacket so you can get married and have babies like a normal person. Because this is an idealistic fairy tale world, you see. :catstare:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chapter 14. Justin is our viewpoint. This is his first time getting to see Castle Roogna, and he quite likes the place. All of the wives are quite happy to see their husbands return. Ida shows up and starts supervising the rehearsal, asking Breanna for her help. She assures Breanna that Jenny will give her an invitation, then shows her to her room. Ida greets Justin and vanishes while Justin is disoriented and confused. Jenny shows up with the invitation, and Justin realizes that this is Jenny's room. Breanna insists she can't stay, but Jenny begs her to, since she needs a friend around to help her handle the wedding.

quote:

"Do it," Justin said. "Everyone else is busy, and she needs a female friend."

I have no idea why Justin had to specify. Jenny takes a nap.

quote:

"Thank you," Jenny repeated. She lay down beside Sammy and closed her eyes. That reminded Breanna how Jenny had asked Sammy to find Jeremy's True Love, but the cat had simply asked Jenny to stroke him. None of them had caught on that Sammy had indicated Jenny herself. The curse had not allowed itself to be bypassed by the cat's magic.

Breanna heads with Ida and gets an itinerary. Jenny is free until the next day's rehearsal. We get a brief digression on how Jenny is actually really well-connected and just doesn't realize it.

quote:

The castle kitchen had a hot meal packed and waiting. They also had a pitcher of rinsed cream, that the girls could use to untangle their messy hair; a cream rinse would be good for tangles. And a sweet-smelling deoder ant. Breanna carried it all back up to the room and set it down beside the bed where Jenny snoozed. A curl of scented steam wafted out and tickled the girl's nose, waking her. "Oh, food," she said. "I'm famished." She sat up.

(Pun Count: 293)

quote:

There turned out to be enough for two, so they shared. They discussed the schedule. Then they took turns cleaning up and settling back down. Jenny went to take a bath, but retreated from the tub, blushing. Breanna looked, and discovered the problem: there was a shameless plug in the bottom. A mischievous princess must have put it there, some dawn or eve. She covered it over, and then they were able to bathe without shame.

(Pun Count: 296) Breanna sleeps, and Justin thinks about how the adventure will soon be over. He's not so happy about that.

quote:

Why was he so loath to end what he had always known would be a temporary association? He explored that, and realized that something surprising and rather embarrassing was happening: he was coming to like Breanna too well. She was young, and impulsive, while he was old and staid, and they had little in common. But she had increasingly good instincts, and was fun to be with. His life would be dull without her company. He would no longer be satisfied to be just another part of a forest, watching the sun cruise by each day, and the moon many nights.

Yet even that was not the whole of it. She would not stay young much longer, while he would just get older. He wished—

What did he wish? Nothing that was remotely possible. Even if he had his human body back, what point could there ever be? His peer group was about four generations removed from hers. If he were close to her age, then perhaps there might be a point in speculation. But he wasn't. So it was best not to bother her with his sad idle fancies. He would enjoy her company until the time came to separate, and then return gracefully to his tree and his fond memories. She would surely have a good life on her own.

Reminder: Breanna is like fifteen. Justin is over eighty. He naps, and the next day, Chameleon shows up and tells them that the zombies want to attend. Jenny is not happy about that, but Breanna wants to know why they can't. She wants them to get to come.

quote:

Jenny looked surprised, while Chameleon looked speculative. "Perhaps they should," Chameleon said. "I can't stand them myself, but I remember how hard they fought to save the castle when the Nextwave came. And the Zombie Master and Millie are certainly good folk. Millie used to baby-sit our son Dor."

"And King Xeth and Zyzzyva will be getting married too," Breanna said. "Maybe they want to see how it's done."

"Maybe they could have a separate section," Jenny said.

The word "segregation" came to Breanna's mind, subvocalized so that he could hear it, but this time Justin managed to get there first. "It takes time to get over prejudices," he reminded her. "Jenny is offering a reasonable compromise. Remember, it is her wedding."

So yeah, the undead are now a metaphor for black people. You know, on top of the actual black people.

quote:

Breanna stifled her ire. She knew he was right: others could not impose their preferences over those of the bride. She forced a smile. "Maybe that will do. I could go talk to King Xeth and explain."

And now, they ave to do the rehearsal, though not all dressed up. Professor Grossclout is officiating, because. Jenny gets all nervy and flees to a bathroom, overwhelmed.

quote:

"Stage fright," Justin said. "We'll have to get that stage removed."

(Pun Count: 297) Justin tells Breanna to get rid of the stage, and she gets mad because she feels he's interfering in a complicated affair. He claims this is unfair, and she tells him to leave.

quote:

"Breanna, I realize that you are under stress. Perhaps I spoke in-temperately. But you are being unreasonable."

"Well, I haven't had a century to learn reason! So go, get out, leave me alone."

She had never before attacked him like this. His spirit was smarting. "If this is what you wish, I shall of course depart."

So Justin heads back to his tree...or tries to. However, he fidns he has to focus on compacting his spirit together before he can leave.

quote:

"Fare well, Breanna," he said, trying to shield her from his grief of the occasion. Probably it was for the best, because his growing feeling for her was not licit, and needed to be abated.

Breanna suddenly begs him not to go.

quote:

Her expression became less pretty. Her upper garment assumed the likeness of brands and brass knuckles, which Jenny realized made sense for a bra. "Then go soak your stupid head!" she flared, turning away. Her shorts condensed into a G-string so that her flexing bottom looked bare.[/quote

He felt enormous relief. "Of course I will remain, if that is your wish."

"I was bitchy. I—I've been tired of my parents always telling me what to do, and I guess you sounded like that. I struck out at you. But you are right, as always."

Justin forgives her and Breanna assures Jenny that her crying has nothing to do with the wedding or anything. She agrees to help Jenny by standing in for her during the rehearsal so Jenny can get used to things. They head back to the rehearsal.

quote:

"I wonder why a floor even cares what is under a woman's skirt," Justin said.

"The boards get bored," she replied. "So they try to stir things up. If women didn't react, the floor wouldn't bother."

(Pun Count: 298) We also learn that Bink and Chameleon will not be handling Castle Zombie - she doesn't like zombies at all, so Chameleon vetoed the idea. Justin continues to yell at himself for falling in love with Breanna and decides he should keep silent about it and just go home when the wedding is over.

quote:

Breanna reached the front of the hall. Jeremy looked at her, with a vulpine smile of mischief. "Why Jenny, how you have changed."

"I got really sick, and degenerated to this blackface," she agreed.

"Shall I kiss you and make you well?"

"Don't risk it; it might make you ill instead, and someone in the back row would faint."

This isn't technically a pun, just really poor taste.

quote:

He laughed. "Really?"

"No. More likely I would just turn into a frog."

"I think that if I had not found The One, you would have been a worthy substitute, Breanna."

"Not at my age, you handsome wolf."

He laughed again. "In three years, when you burst on the adult scene, all eligible men had better take cover. You are one cute creature in nature as well as appearance."

Breanna tried to blush, unsuccessfully. He had finally gotten to her. "Then I guess I had better line up a prospect before then, so as not to scare the whole Land of Xanth out of its magic."

Things go well, and Breanna tells Jenny that she has someone she likes, but he's probably not interested. Justin is shocked and thinks she means Jeremy. Breanna assures him that it's someone unmarried. Justin asks who.

quote:

Breanna hesitated. "If you haven't picked up on it then I think you wouldn't understand."

"Of course." He was gracious, but her implied reproof stung. Always before, she had shared her concerns with him. Now she wasn't doing so. He remained intensely curious what man she was thinking of, but refused to pry. She was an attractive girl—how well he knew!—and surely could make an impression on the man she chose. It was certainly her right to do so, within limits. So he wished her well, though the thought of her finding love and fulfillment elsewhere gave him an unreasonable pang. He would almost have preferred to return to his tree at the time of their argument, because then at least he might have retained some fond foolish illusions.

Yeeeeeah. We're going here. Next day, guests start arriving. Clio, the Muse of History, introduces herself to both Breanna and Justin, and declares the wedding historically significant, and not just because of Jenny's marriage. Justin realizes the gathering must be facilitating something else.

quote:

Then Good Magician Humfrey arrived, with a woman Breanna didn't recognize. Before anyone could think of looking askance, she introduced herself: "I am MareAnn, Humfrey's fifth and a half wife. I was his first true love, but wouldn't marry him for 142 years because I didn't want to lose my innocence and with it my ability to summon unicorns. But later, having resided in hell, I concluded that much of my innocence had already been sacrificed, so I married him. Thus he obtained a half-wife of 142 years. I am the Designated Wife for this occasion, as the Gorgon is busy elsewhere."

(Pun Count: 299) Breanna's parents show up next, and have decided to come as ambassadors from the Black Village.

quote:

"And we thought it was about time for the Black Village to start spreading out," her father said. "We need to interact more positively with the rest of Xanth, especially now that there are a number of black children with magic talents."

"You bet!" Justin saw that though Breanna had never mentioned her family, and might even have felt somewhat alienated from them, she did love them and was glad to see them. She was bubbling over with things to tell them. But soon they retired to their room; they had made a long trip here, and were tired, they said. Justin suspected that they did not want to get in Breanna's way. They were after all Mundanes, perhaps feeling out of place here.

A decrepit coach drawn by two half-dead horses drew up to the moat. "The Zombie Master and Millie the Ghost!" Breanna cried, dashing out to meet them. Sure enough, the two were just stepping down to the ground. But they weren't alone: King Xeth and Zyzzyva Zombie were there too, looking quite regal in formal clothing. Breanna greeted them all like the old friends they had become, and showed them to the castle's special cell in the cellar, where the local zombies congregated. This wasn't isolation; they had requested it.

The biggest surprise was a couple Justin didn't recognize, but Breanna did. "Tristan Troll and Mouse Terian!" she exclaimed joyfully.

"Yes. we are a couple now," the lovely woman said, hugging her. "Thanks to you."

Com Passion and Com Pewter are also present, in tiny-screen remote forms. Breanna wanders off, explaining to Justin how those two came together. The computers also make the area bigger and more decorative than it usually is.

quote:

A big tank was delivered, containing three lovely mermaids: Ash, Cedar, and Mahogany. They were respectively blonde, red-haired, and brunette, and attracted some attention as they diverted themselves in the moat. Certainly Soufflé Serpent enjoyed the company.

Remember them? They're here now. Roxanne Roc shows up next, along with Che, Cynthia and Gwendolyn. Also, Sim.

quote:

"That means thank you," Che said. "He could read your mind, and project his response to you, but he feels that would be impolite, so he sticks to bird talk."

Breanna smiled. "I really appreciate that, Sim. I have all kinds of black secrets I'd rather not share."

(Pun Count: 300) Cynthia asks Che if he thinks their kid will get a magic talent. He objects, claiming that lightness is their talent.

quote:

"That's a species talent, like walking on four feet. Do you see human beings limited to the talent of walking on two feet?"

Che glanced at Gwenny Goblin. "I agree with her," Gwenny said. "It's high time goblins had individual magic talents too. Why should my friend Gloha Goblin-Harpy be limited to flying?"

So he glanced at Sim, who this time projected a thought to the group: "Flying is plenty of magic for anyone."

Next up are Aurora and Erica, the two winged mermaids, and their winged centaur friends. Voracia shows up next, then Tipsy and Phil. Nimby and Chlorine show up without much explanation and so on. Justin starts to get depressed about missing out on relationships as a tree. The wedding goes well, and the reception begins. Breanna starts to cry, because all women cry at weddings.

quote:

The worst was over. Breanna stepped back, wiping her face. "MareAnn said that women are supposed to cry at weddings," she said. "I thought it was applesauce, but I can't stop my eyes."

"It is natural," Justin said. "There is no shame in it."

"But I don't believe in such idiocy."

"Under that rebellion, you are a woman." She couldn't know how sincerely he meant that.

"I guess I am."

Chlorine and Nimby come over to chat. Nimby wants to give Breanna a gift: he returns her memories, provided she shares them only with Justin. Nimby has now learned to dream and is quite grateful.

quote:

"You gave permission, and this was enough. That enabled him to learn what he wished to, without having to depart the Land of Xanth."

"But if he had left, the magic would have gone too!"

"True. Most of it, at any rate. Just as the law of gravity would be repealed if the Demon E(A/R)th departed from Mundania. The natives probably wouldn't like that. So we prefer that the Demons not travel too much."

(Pun Count: 302) They promise never to reveal the Nimby secret, and Chlorine tells them that if they ever need Nimby, they just have to think about it. She also tells Justin that he can achieve his dream by the end of the day. Breanna asks him what that dream is, but he refuses to tell her. She'll tell him hers if he'll tell her his, but he doesn't want to. He also claims that he shouldn't stay with her. Eventually, Justin admits that he's fallen for Breanna.

quote:

"But I'm young and impulsive and militant, and sometimes I blow up for no good reason."

"And I am old and staid and a tree, and sometimes I become too dictatorial in my advice. So there is no point in further discussion."

They have to talk to Xeth and Zyzzyva now, but Breanna says they'll chat later. Zyzzyva, we are assured, is super hot. The zombie couple move on, and Breanna gets back to her chat.

quote:

"Now about that discussion," Breanna said to him. "I thought you were mostly putting up with me, for the sake of having your adventure. I thought we got along well because you are so good at smoothing over my outbursts. At hiding your own feelings of disgust, and coming up with reasonable ways to interpret what you know is crazy, so I won't feel bad. Even when I went nuts and told you to go, you forgave me, instead of taking the chance to bug out. I thought you thought I was pretty much of a snot."

"I never thought that!"

"Well, even if I was a perfect teen, there'd be things you'd find ridiculous. And I know I'm not perfect. That's why I need your guidance. You helped me get over my prejudice and be a better person. You never even saw me as black."

"As what?"

"That's my point. Maybe it's because you're a tree. You understand about being different."

"But you're not different, except in your inimitable character, which always did appeal to me. Your charmingly direct manner—"

"I'm just better with you than without you. That's why I wanted to keep you."

"I can appreciate that. But now that you know my failing, there is no need to—"

"Failing?"

"I have admitted that I failed to maintain a proper objectivity with respect to your person. To keep the necessary emotional distance. This places you in an unfairly awkward position. It is in fact a tacit violation of the Adult Conspiracy. So it seems best to disengage immediately."

"Let's see if I have this straight: you like me, so you want to leave?"

"That is essentially it, though I would use the word 'need' rather than 'want.' I need to vacate before I corrupt you."

"Corrupt me! Justin, you never did anything of the kind! You helped me grow up where I needed to."

"And now, by my transgression of emotion. I threaten to force on you the kind of awareness you should not yet encounter. I fear I have already said too much."

Breanna tells Justin that she loves him, too.

quote:

"drat it, Justin, give me credit for knowing what I'm talking about. It isn't just storks or sex, it's love, and I think I know it when I feel it. I think I'm feeling it."

He was almost dumbfounded. "That isn't possible, at your age and my circumstance. You mistake a passing fancy for—"

"The hell I do! I don't want to keep you because you give me good advice. I want to keep you because I can't stand to lose you. But I didn't want to be a brat about hanging on to you, when I know I'm just a child in your eyes. When I thought you were just being diplomatic, encouraging me so as not to hurt my feelings. I guess that's why I blew up at you: I was mad because of the futility of my interest. But now that I know you care—"

"Oh. I do, Breanna! But this is absolute foolishness. We are merely mind companions. We can never be more."

Her jaw set. "I want to make love with you."

Justin reeled, mentally, emotionally. "This—this—even if it were possible, it would be forbidden, because—"

"I'm the one who rejected the Adult Conspiracy, remember? I think a girl is old enough if she thinks she is. If she knows what it's all about. I do know. And if she wants to. And I do want to. With you."

"This is unacceptable. Your age—"

"Justin, if I were old enough, would you do it?"

It was as though he were sailing in a tiny boat on a treacherous sea in a storm. He wanted to be honest, but it was difficult. "I must confess I would want to. But even so, I wouldn't be able to. My age—"

They argue over having sex, and Breanna thinks swears at Justin to convince him she's not innocent.

quote:

He knew she wasn't bluffing. "I spoke figuratively. I am aware that you brought the knowledge with you from Mundania. But in experience, in this respect, you are innocent, and it would be a violation for me to even suggest that you take any such action with anyone."

"All I want is a straight answer to a straight question. I think you owe me that much."

He capitulated. "If I were young, and you of age, and you wished to, yes, I would do it. Not because of the personal pleasure there might be, but because the sweetest thing I can imagine is simply loving you and being loved by you. But since you are too young, and I too old, it is no fit subject for speculation."

Breanna decides they have to chat with Millie and Jonathan now. She suggests Justin Tree be the next Zombie Master, youthened to match Bink's age. She'll be the replacement for Millie. Jonathan decides it's a good idea, if Justin is willing. (He is, but he demands that Breanna make her final decision in three years.)

quote:

"How about this: we stay together that three years, just as we are now. Then we decide whether we still feel the same way, and want to do it. Maybe I'll have changed my mind, or you'll have changed yours. So we can stay together, or separate, or decide to take the position. Then we go to the Good Magician and ask him for the youth elixir. Then we go to your tree, and Magician Trent changes you back to human, and you take the elixir and turn twenty one. Then we get married and move to Castle Zombie for a long time, and stand up for the zombies when they need it. Does this make sense to you?"

Justin, amazed again, couldn't answer immediately. Her impulsiveness was absolutely delightful, but this was almost too much to assimilate. But Millie kissed Breanna, and the Zombie Master reached out and shook her hand. "It makes sense to us."

They inform Bink and Chameleon.

quote:

Breanna laughed. "For sure! I'm glad you didn't take that position." She stepped close and kissed him. "Thanks."

Chameleon raised a brow. "Just what is your relationship with this girl?"

"There's just something about teenage girls that is appealing," he said, kissing her. She, of course, was now sixteen.

"I remember," the Zombie Master said, glancing at Millie.

Then the four of them dissolved into a dialogue about old times. Breanna faded back. "Come on, Justin—let's go somewhere and pretend that I'm eighteen and you're twenty one, and we're kissing."

They wander off and find Imbri and Forrest Faun. Imbri gives them a daydream and is hit on by Forrest.

quote:

"Are you trying to be a satyr instead of a faun?" Imbri asked him archly.

"No, I was trying to be more of a satire. The kind curse fiends hate, when they put on a play."

"This play will be no satire. It's more of a romance."

(Pun Count: 303)

quote:

"But it wouldn't be proper to—" Justin started to protest. However, his heart wasn't in it. He longed for just such a dream.

Imbri looked into Breanna's eyes, and through them into Justin's eyes. "Dreams don't have to be proper," she murmured. "That's part of what the Demon learned."

Then reality dissolved, and Justin was a virile young man, and Breanna was a lovely black eighteen. They were alone in the glade that once had been filled by his tree form. It was some dream, whose naughty details they would never tell.

Yeeeeeah. But we're not done! It's time for the "Epilog." Clio meets with Humfrey, who tells her that he does not want to deal with her today. They talk about how they set all this up and how awesome Jenny and Breanna are.

quote:

He nodded. "There are appealing qualities about her, despite her youth. She is direct and forthright and determined, and quite ready to challenge the status quo—exactly the kind of representative the zombies need to combat the prejudice of the rest of Xanth. When Mare Imbri told me about her connection with Nimby—"

"Nimby," the Muse of History repeated thoughtfully. "He gave her back her memory of his true nature."

"Just as Bink told her of the nature of his talent. It is all information Justin Tree may need, when he becomes the new Zombie Master. It is a more important position than most folk realize."

It was her turn to nod. "Indubitably. Bink is fortunate. He and Chameleon have a second youth to spend—all so they could serve as an example to those who needed to think of youthening to similar ages. So that they could achieve their necessary if unlikely destinies."

"And so Bink could handle the rigors of the rest of the mission. and ensure via his talent that it not come to grief." Humfrey finally cracked open half an eye. "Now if you are quite done reminiscing about the obvious—"

Clio laughed. "For now. But brace yourself; the next volume promises to be more complicated, with a special irrelevant significance."

The Good Magician groaned.

Pun Count: 303 by the end of Zombie Lover.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Alopex posted:

I hate that I know this, but it crops up in one of his later books. If you're gay in Xanth, you get put in a straight jacket so you can get married and have babies like a normal person. Because this is an idealistic fairy tale world, you see. :catstare:

what.

EDIT: also the way Anthony keeps emphasizing that Breanna is black has an almost fetishistic quality.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

There are parts of Anthony's writing that aren't almost fetishistic in quality?

I swear, that age difference thing wouldn't be nearly as creepy as it is if he didn't keep harping on the adult conspiracy and the reasons that it's totally okay because she's 18 in the dream world. And, you know, ignoring that he's 80 because physical age is the only thing that counts I guess. I'm not sure which is worse, all the weird sex stuff or the bit where he works up needlessly convoluted magic plots like that whole thing with Jeremy's curse and then solves them via needlessly convoluted wordplay and all the characters pat themselves on the back for being so clever.

And look at the pacing in this, it's technically about Breanna trying not to get married to a zombie, very little of it is actually about that, and then they solve that early and the last third is about getting Jeremy married off because they ran out of plot. And then there's all that junk with bringing back old characters and shoving them into new roles. You'd think that Bink and Chameleon would have complicated feelings about being brought back into the spotlight and being younger than their kids and grandkids and probably having to watch all of their old friends and family die all over again but nope "youth elixir what a good idea".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Does Breanna ever reference her ethnicity in a way that isn't related to illness, evil, etc?

• Locked thread