Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

darkgray posted:

Watching Tokyo ESP ep 3, this fellow voiced by Tanaka Jouji appeared:

The character design reminded me of Gerard Butler in 300, so I had to look up the dub cast, and it turns out Leonidas was dubbed by Tanaka Jouji as well. Wonder if it's all intentional.
You caught that but not the Ghostbusters?

Yeah, Tokyo ESP is full of western character references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
People watched Tokyo ESP past the first episode?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope not, the animation is awful. Like Tokyo Ghoul, there's no reason not to just read the manga instead.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Sindai posted:

I hope not, the animation is awful. Like Tokyo Ghoul, there's no reason not to just read the manga instead.

I don't know man, the lastest arc of TG is pretty loving terrible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nielsm posted:

Meanwhile, the 6-mat-room invaders ("rokujouma no shinryakusha") series is actually turning out okay.

I like the fact that it's focusing on the competition over the room instead of setting up a harem like you'd expect. For now. I mean, you know it's there, creeping just outside the frame like an unstoppable cosmic horror, but for now I can pretend it's not.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Toradora dub is up on Crunchyroll. I had no idea that they were going to steam that. Nice surprise.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Stall_19 posted:

Toradora dub is up on Crunchyroll. I had no idea that they were going to steam that. Nice surprise.

Pretty competent dub too. Started watching the first episode to test it out and I ended up watching all of it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jackofarcades posted:

Pretty competent dub too. Started watching the first episode to test it out and I ended up watching all of it.

Yeah. I was very pleasantly surprised when Taiga didn't have a grating high pitched voice. I'm gonna use this as an excuse to watch it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

I like the fact that it's focusing on the competition over the room instead of setting up a harem like you'd expect. For now. I mean, you know it's there, creeping just outside the frame like an unstoppable cosmic horror, but for now I can pretend it's not.

I might have to give it a second look if it is at least not yet blatant harem bait and actually moderately funny. Because it sure looks like it's a harem bait.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chumbler posted:

I might have to give it a second look if it is at least not yet blatant harem bait and actually moderately funny. Because it sure looks like it's a harem bait.

"Actually moderately funny" might be asking a bit much. I'd say it's more "not as bad as it could have been."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

"Actually moderately funny" might be asking a bit much. I'd say it's more "not as bad as it could have been."

I'm watching Rail Wars (and other shows that are actually good!), so my standards are not particularly high.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2014

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Is anyone else watching Encouragement of Climb?

Three episodes in, and they've climbed a mountain.

Sorry if that should be in spoilers.

Yeah I really liked the first season. The fact that season two is twice as many episodes with twice the episode length is pretty spectacular.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

boom boom boom posted:

Is anyone else watching Encouragement of Climb?

Three episodes in, and they've climbed a mountain.

Sorry if that should be in spoilers.
I was waiting for Crunchyroll to keep watching but they're now like ten days behind with no evidence they'll ever catch up, so...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Animation aside, RWBY is great when the characters don't talk. I only bring it up because Akame Ga Kill has the same problem.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Nothing about RWBY is great at all

It is a singularity of terrible

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

Animation aside, RWBY is great when the characters don't talk. I only bring it up because Akame Ga Kill has the same problem.

So, err... poo poo art and animation and poo poo dialog... what's left?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Nothing about RWBY is great at all

It is a singularity of terrible
A singularity of terrible sounds pretty impressive, enough for me to pick it up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, err... poo poo art and animation and poo poo dialog... what's left?

Sure as heck isn't good direction because it's shot like a video game cutscene instead of like something meant to be watched.

e: As for the Akame Ga Kill comparison, at least that show is shocking with its message that the 1% are terrible people who deserve to be brutally murdered! RWBY has an anti-racism message that's so hamfisted it makes the way the Tales of- games handle racism look like a fine work of art.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

A singularity of terrible sounds pretty impressive, enough for me to pick it up.

I mean, it could be educational in that it is probably the worst professionally produced animated show, but there's really no redeeming qualities to it and if you shouldn't attempt to make it beyond the first episode. Like, it'd make a great punishment/mod challenge review in TVIV.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SSNeoman posted:

Not... really? People keep telling me the fight scenes are good, but the continuity is often nonsensical between shots, and the animation is floaty as hell. The show spends more energy trying to choreograph 'badass' fight moves instead of making any battles have urgency or tension.

The best/worst part is that they took an advantage of CG in that you can make really nice intricate backgrounds without having to redraw them for different angles/cuts, and instead just pump out GoogleSketchup-level backgrounds with even less personality than an IKEA showroom.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Didn't the lead animator, like, skip out on visiting his dying mother in the hospital to work on that poo poo show? Wonder how she feels about that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I mean, it could be educational in that it is probably the worst professionally produced animated show, but there's really no redeeming qualities to it and if you shouldn't attempt to make it beyond the first episode. Like, it'd make a great punishment/mod challenge review in TVIV.

Didn't they refuse to use actual 3D animation software and made it in a static model maker instead, because that's what the chief animator at roosterteeth was used to using for halo videos?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

Sure as heck isn't good direction because it's shot like a video game cutscene instead of like something meant to be watched.

e: As for the Akame Ga Kill comparison, at least that show is shocking with its message that the 1% are terrible people who deserve to be brutally murdered! RWBY has an anti-racism message that's so hamfisted it makes the way the Tales of- games handle racism look like a fine work of art.

I was more talking about how in both shows the characters spend their time as one-dimensional caricatures getting into anime hijinx when they're not being badass demon hunters/assassins. And I honestly stopped watching RWBY when the faunes thing was introduced so if it gets worse than that, welp :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I was more talking about how in both shows the characters spend their time as one-dimensional caricatures getting into anime hijinx when they're not being badass demon hunters/assassins. And I honestly stopped watching RWBY when the faunes thing was introduced so if it gets worse than that, welp :v:

1. Hey it isn't that bad!
2. Okay yes it is and I couldn't finish watching it.

Why even bother to defend it in the first place?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So uhhh... I think it's safe to declare Rail Wars the trashiest show of the season by a wide margin. I also don't think it is ever going to acquire a plot or be about anything other than butts. It's barely even about trains.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 27, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

I also don't think it is ever going to acquire a plot or be about anything other than butts.
Hey now, it's about other things as well. Like breasts.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Terraformars trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWc7aVFe2sY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Care to elaborate on this? Always interesting to learn more about how visual media work (or don't).

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Because I couldn't find the old thread, have we all watched GITS: Arise Part 3 yet?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Care to elaborate on this? Always interesting to learn more about how visual media work (or don't).

I haven't seen the show, but video game cutscenes are usually shot extremely lazily, just medium shots of whatever character is talking with occasional pans across the environment for no reason, as opposed to movies or TV where it has to actually be interesting to watch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I haven't seen the show, but video game cutscenes are usually shot extremely lazily, just medium shots of whatever character is talking with occasional pans across the environment for no reason, as opposed to movies or TV where it has to actually be interesting to watch.

Yeah you said it better than I could have, and you didn't have to inflict it upon yourself to make that statement :v:

(I feel like in this particular case the environment pans are so they can show that they did render the entire room!)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Khagan posted:

Because I couldn't find the old thread, have we all watched GITS: Arise Part 3 yet?
Thanks for reminding me that this came out! It was vastly better than Part 2.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

thats like skipping to 9:26 of a clip on redtube!
Well, I love watching good action scenes, so if at 9:26 starts a good action scene and I can watch it on youtube, I'll gladly do it.

Probably not a place to ask but: what was the general consensus on both seasons of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon?

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 27, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Well, I love watching good action scenes, so if at 9:26 starts a good action scene and I can watch it on youtube, I'll gladly do it.

Probably not a place to ask but: what was the general consensus on both seasons of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon?

Completely incoherent.

Edit: VVVVV That guy is deliberately deceiving you for some reason. The setting is dumb, none of the characters are decent, and no one does anything interesting. He is only being honest about the fanservice. For shame, internet person. For shame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DiabloCthulhu posted:

It has some cool fights and scenes, good music, a potentially interesting setting that is poorly explained, a large and reasonably varied cast most of whom it actually does things with, and is a bad show based on a light novel series that is apparently way too long for its own good. I enjoyed it, but I also have terrible taste. It does so drat many things that odds are you can find some aspect of it that you like, but that likely won't be enough to outweigh the things you don't like unless you have very low standards.

It also has a Rail Wars-level love of boobs and butts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 27, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DiabloCthulhu posted:

An incomprehensible pile of shite. Or at least the first couple of episodes were since I never made it past that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Horizon was amazing if you want to see a work that isn't just incoherent, but aggressively incoherent.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Horizon makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Macross thread hit the archives :rip:

quote:

Harmony Gold USA announced on Friday that it will release its 1985 Robotech animated television series with the 1982 Super Dimension Fortress Macross television anime on DVD. Lionsgate Home Entertainment will release Robotech The Classic Collection - Volume 1 exclusively through online retailer Amazon on September 23.

The four-disc DVD set will include the first 18 episodes of both the American broadcast version of Robotech and the original and uncut Japanese version of Super Dimension Fortress Macross with English subtitles.

Yay :neckbeard:

Well, yay for the originals, I don't give a crap about the Robotech version. (even if I still tend to think of the Valkyries as Veritechs)

• Locked thread