Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
they should bring in tamon honda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If you are dead serious about it next year, I live in Tokyo and can help with some arrangements. And the yen is at a decade low right now (£1 = ¥186), so your sterling pounds will go a long way. I can make recommendations for cheap real hotels to stay at (that would run about the same as you quoted but would have actual amenities and a desk and Internet access) and how to get to other touristy spots. I'm going back to the States for Christmas this year but not planning to necessarily next year, partially because I do want to see the Dome show very soon. Regardless, I speak very good Japanese and live here. I can help :)

[Edit] same for if anyone else wants/needs help or recommendations on coming to visit for rasslin in Japan. For Americans, the yen is down to $1 = ¥118, which is awesome for visiting compared with when I got here and it was ¥77 to a dollar...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jake Soo posted:

Royal Seats are sold usually sold only through the Fan Club and Toukon Shop. Your best bet for getting them would be through Yottsume or some other channel that is in Japan. They usually come with a complimentary merch bag and some other nice perks, varies by year. Merch bag is usually a given. On the account of other seats, you should aim for Arena S -seats, that's one notch below royal. The other arena seats are pretty far behind and sitting in the stands means you'll be watching the show on screens rather than the in ring action. This is a huge baseball stadium, so the distances are larger than in other venues.

Tokyo is built on rails. There are a lot of different companies offering different lines that run through the city. Tokyo Dome is located in a good position, as the local train lines (JR East) and Tokyo Metro have a station just near the Tokyo Dome City. Getting there isn't a pain and it's cheap! You might end up paying £3 and that would mean you'd be going from outskirts of Yokohama (that's pretty far if Tokyo is considered). So getting around isn't expensive.

Accommodations, on the other hand, are a bit of a different thing. Sure, capsule hotels exist, but I'd go for an opposite solution: AirBNB. Japanese people rent out their rooms or apartments (or space on their floors) for you to use. It's cheap and if you get an english speaking host, you get a free guide to help you get around Tokyo! Your mileage may vary, so check the hosts profile for reviews.

Edit: And it seems I'll also be around that part of the globe during that time, so there might be an impromptu goon meetup for those interested.

harperdc posted:

If you are dead serious about it next year, I live in Tokyo and can help with some arrangements. And the yen is at a decade low right now (£1 = ¥186), so your sterling pounds will go a long way. I can make recommendations for cheap real hotels to stay at (that would run about the same as you quoted but would have actual amenities and a desk and Internet access) and how to get to other touristy spots. I'm going back to the States for Christmas this year but not planning to necessarily next year, partially because I do want to see the Dome show very soon. Regardless, I speak very good Japanese and live here. I can help :)

[Edit] same for if anyone else wants/needs help or recommendations on coming to visit for rasslin in Japan. For Americans, the yen is down to $1 = ¥118, which is awesome for visiting compared with when I got here and it was ¥77 to a dollar...

thank you very much for your collective help and offers

Alright, so I probs won't be getting Royals then. Right now the site selling tix for WK9 is only listing Arena A and B. Do they take listings for other arenas off as they sell out, or to find Arena S seats do I have to look somewhere other than the main NJPW site? Finding places that are not the direct source using google search is pretty tricky since it is all in another language.

I'm looking at Airbnb stuff, and wow, this is also a really good deal, better than capsule life and in a lot of cases it is around the same prices. Having someone who knows Tokyo might also be an amazing thing to have on hand, just so that I don't die or go missing. I will probs be doing this alone, because like hell am I convincing someone to go to spend £1000 to go to Tokyo with me to watch wrestling, so the reassurance of having at least one person there who knows what the deal with me being there is would be cool.

I am not 100% serious about this right now, more like 80%, but I am becoming more and more confident that I will be doing this and really want to do it, so I probably will end up going with it if nothing huge happens to me financially.

I'd be down for meeting people too, since I would be largely alone there, so that would be useful and make for a break from going solo.

When the show is announced next year (announcement is usually around August, right?), and when planes are bookable for that time of the year, I will get back with an absolute answer of what I am doing.

The timeframe I'd be looking at going for is probably from the 30th until 6th. What is New Years like in Japan? Or would it be a better idea to change the timeframe around a bit to adjust to any other events that I might not know of?

I'd be down for any recommendations on hotels too, knowing all the options would really help. Knowing other things worth doing too would also be really helpful. Getting really into this idea now.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I'd still tell you to try a capsule just for the novelty if you're open to it. It's definitely an experience. I don't think I could handle more than a night in one though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Another Person posted:

thank you very much for your collective help and offers

Alright, so I probs won't be getting Royals then. Right now the site selling tix for WK9 is only listing Arena A and B. Do they take listings for other arenas off as they sell out, or to find Arena S seats do I have to look somewhere other than the main NJPW site? Finding places that are not the direct source using google search is pretty tricky since it is all in another language.

I'm looking at Airbnb stuff, and wow, this is also a really good deal, better than capsule life and in a lot of cases it is around the same prices. Having someone who knows Tokyo might also be an amazing thing to have on hand, just so that I don't die or go missing. I will probs be doing this alone, because like hell am I convincing someone to go to spend £1000 to go to Tokyo with me to watch wrestling, so the reassurance of having at least one person there who knows what the deal with me being there is would be cool.

I am not 100% serious about this right now, more like 80%, but I am becoming more and more confident that I will be doing this and really want to do it, so I probably will end up going with it if nothing huge happens to me financially.

I'd be down for meeting people too, since I would be largely alone there, so that would be useful and make for a break from going solo.

When the show is announced next year (announcement is usually around August, right?), and when planes are bookable for that time of the year, I will get back with an absolute answer of what I am doing.

The timeframe I'd be looking at going for is probably from the 30th until 6th. What is New Years like in Japan? Or would it be a better idea to change the timeframe around a bit to adjust to any other events that I might not know of?

I'd be down for any recommendations on hotels too, knowing all the options would really help. Knowing other things worth doing too would also be really helpful. Getting really into this idea now.

New Years in Japan is one of the biggest national holidays and is going to be a time pretty busy, but then again it's Tokyo so it's always busy.

As for buying tickets, you can do it any number of ways, perhaps even directly through NJPW but also sold via convenience store chains and other options. There are many ways to go about it, and there's not much difference in pricing to be honest. Find a price range and jump on it.

Hotels will depend on the upper limits of your budget. Tokyo is the biggest metropolitan area in the world, and has everything from million-star hotels to, well, tiny lovely capsules and youth hostels. Almost as important is where you'd be staying, I can make some recommendations on what parts of the city would be best (near the Yamanote line, but not necessarily inside it because that gets more expensive). For eight days mostly around Tokyo, you could do a one-week JR Rail Pass, but those become better financial deals if you start making trips from say Tokyo to Osaka or Kyoto, and honestly there's enough to do just around here that you wouldn't need much more. Tokyo itself is pretty well signed in English and is getting better and better about that, too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

harperdc posted:

Hotels will depend on the upper limits of your budget. Tokyo is the biggest metropolitan area in the world, and has everything from million-star hotels to, well, tiny lovely capsules and youth hostels. Almost as important is where you'd be staying, I can make some recommendations on what parts of the city would be best (near the Yamanote line, but not necessarily inside it because that gets more expensive). For eight days mostly around Tokyo, you could do a one-week JR Rail Pass, but those become better financial deals if you start making trips from say Tokyo to Osaka or Kyoto, and honestly there's enough to do just around here that you wouldn't need much more. Tokyo itself is pretty well signed in English and is getting better and better about that, too.

My budget would basically be as cheap as humanly possible at all times in terms of accommodation. I'm only a not quite broke student (not totally broke until I finish uni), so I intend to save as much as I possibly can where I can. Either way, if I were to go straight for hotels, it would be 1 star living for me.

Now knowing that Japanese New Year is supposed to be better than a regular one, I am more into the idea that I go there then.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Holy poo poo, Stuart is going to stop updating Strong Style Spirit:

http://www.puroresufan.com/njpw/2014/12/21/strong-style-spirit-updates-to-end/

I've been using that site pretty much as long as it's existed. It's crazy to think I won't be able to pop over there to get show results or look up upcoming cards.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Mom hype is the best hype for a PPV.

Watched the last Road to Tokyo Dome show, it was a fun little event. I'm pumped for WK now!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Good News:

quote:

An update on Tokyo Dome ticket sales. The 8,000 floor seats are sold out and the mid-level seats (there are about 27,000 of them) are almost sold out. So the advance is now well ahead of total tickets sold for any New Japan show in the past decade.

Bad(possibly) News:

quote:

After three weeks, New Japan World has 10,000 subscribers. That’s a worldwide number. The key will be how it goes after 1/4, which is the first really major show broadcast live, but they did have a PPV show on 12/7 and have had three live events since then before this number was announced. But it is something that they offer a streaming service for a month at half the price of a PPV, and get less subscribers than they’d get for streaming just the PPV. The first time New Japan did a streaming PPV, and this was with just a few days notice in 2012, they had 25,000 orders and were topping 50,000 by the second or third show when they had time to promote it. TV Asahi, partners in the network, have publicly predicted 40,000 subscribers as of 1/4.

Dave talked about this on a recent podcast as well. It's really loving wierd that they can't get the same numbers for streaming shows that cost more and offer far less.

quote:

Starting with the new year, the direction of the merchandise is going to change from using the Japanese lettering to English lettering. In 2014, the English lettering T-shirts, paced by The Bullet Club shirts, greatly outsold the Japanese lettering T-shirts in Japan. So to the Japanese fans, the English lettering is considered cooler. The belief is also that will aid in merchandising to the overseas audience.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thauros posted:

Good News:

Bad(possibly) News:

Dave talked about this on a recent podcast as well. It's really loving wierd that they can't get the same numbers for streaming shows that cost more and offer far less.

I just hope they don't pull the plug and consider it a failure. I've wanted easy access to NJPW for a long time. :(

Are streaming services in general not as popular in Japan?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I just hope they don't pull the plug and consider it a failure. I've wanted easy access to NJPW for a long time. :(

Are streaming services in general not as popular in Japan?

Streaming services aren't, but streaming PPVs have always been the bulk of their business since few in Japan have access to traditional PPV. Don't worry about them pulling the plug anytime soon, Kidani has set very reasonable small goals. Whether it'll end up being a solid business move is yet to be determined.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I think it will make sense if the subscriber numbers are low now but go up for the Dome show, because everything we've heard recently is that New Japan has a fairly new group of fans. You could see them maybe not being as interested in the historical/archive stuff as WWE fans are in America, for example, and subscribing mainly for the live PPVs instead.

Dave also made a great point about the booking of the main guys since August to lead into the show. It's too big to copy in full, but basically, Okada, Tanahashi, Nakamura, Ibushi, and Makabe haven't lost since the G-1. Styles, Naito, Suzuki and Ishii have only lost once, and it was to opponents that needed a big win to build for the show. It's amazing how logical booking can look in hindsight when it's done with a long-term goal that the company sticks to.

And I would've loved to have heard the discussion over printing more English t-shirts for their Japanese wrestling promotion. "Our Japanese fans want to buy shirts in a language they don't even speak? :iiam:" But it's a good example of the promotion giving fans what they want instead of ignoring them and then wondering why no one is buying merchandise.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dunbar posted:

And I would've loved to have heard the discussion over printing more English t-shirts for their Japanese wrestling promotion. "Our Japanese fans want to buy shirts in a language they don't even speak? :iiam:" But it's a good example of the promotion giving fans what they want instead of ignoring them and then wondering why no one is buying merchandise.

I think this has been a thing in Japanese culture for a while. Also, the Bullet Club being the closest thing to the nWo without it being skull crackling stupid might help as well.

Edit: I was just wondering, how does NJPW's dojo system work? How do they grow new talent?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 25, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't know if it's that weird that English shirts are selling better in Japan. Maybe it's just prejudice through the internet, but I've heard that random English words seem cool to some demographics of Japanese people, especially younger ones. All I know is the only wrestling related shirt I bought all year was the Okada "TOO AWESOME DROPKICK" shirt so I'm down.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 25, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I mean hell, it's not like soccer jerseys or baseball jerseys have much kanji on them either. I could go walk around shops and streets and mark down how much has English written on it versus Japanese, but you guys here would also probably be disappointed by the gibberish proportion. Most of it makes sense nowadays, unfortunately. There are some things that are odd, but not straight-up nonsensical.

I'm kinda surprised NJPW World is struggling too, it's easy to sign up for, is cheap, and has a lot of stuff to watch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol this board has like 2% of all NJPW world subs

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

harperdc posted:

I mean hell, it's not like soccer jerseys or baseball jerseys have much kanji on them either. I could go walk around shops and streets and mark down how much has English written on it versus Japanese, but you guys here would also probably be disappointed by the gibberish proportion. Most of it makes sense nowadays, unfortunately. There are some things that are odd, but not straight-up nonsensical.

I'm kinda surprised NJPW World is struggling too, it's easy to sign up for, is cheap, and has a lot of stuff to watch.

the lack of english probably scares a lot of people(not everyone is patient enough to let autotranslate work). That could be GFW's next project.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

the lack of english probably scares a lot of people(not everyone is patient enough to let autotranslate work). That could be GFW's next project.

Their amount of foreign fans is still pretty drat tiny. I'm surprised they haven't done better domestically though since their fanbase has no issues with streaming ppvs.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Their goal was 30k subs in 1 year. 10k within 3 weeks is pretty rad.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I reckon subs will pick up a bit over the next couple weeks, and then later in the year around the G1, they should pick up even more. G1 is the poo poo.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

enuhito posted that captain and shibata from tokyo sports got murdered but it was part of the nakanishi land program thing, i thought it was real for a sec, b ut it's not.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What time is the 1/4 show actually live in the USA, and what time is the GFW replay?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

OGB posted:

Their goal was 30k subs in 1 year. 10k within 3 weeks is pretty rad.

As long as it doesn't follow the WWE Network, where everyone signed up at the start for the biggest event of the year and then things plateaued

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

What time is the 1/4 show actually live in the USA, and what time is the GFW replay?

It's live 2 AM EST/1 AM CST/ 12 AM MST/11 PM PST. There will be a preshow only on NJPW World that starts earlier. The GFW replay is supposed to be at 7PM EST but apparently some providers are running either the live show or the replay so you should check your provider if you're going that route.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

triplexpac posted:

As long as it doesn't follow the WWE Network, where everyone signed up at the start for the biggest event of the year and then things plateaued

it's not even a recurring subscription so i think it's incredibly likely that this is what happens

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Man, WRESTLELAND was a special time in NJPW history in the most "HOW DO I SPORTS ENTERTAIN" way possible.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Yo https://www.facebook.com/newjapaneng/posts/828318960562297:0

Legally obtainable themes

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

These jabronis didn't even include the best themes.

http://youtu.be/rJusRJWvO2s

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 29, 2014

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

This is pretty cool: http://www.avclub.com/article/introduction-brutal-spectacle-new-japan-pro-wrestl-213017

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Alright you fuckers, I'm all aboard the NJPW train.

:toot: I think my wife will enjoy this too.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Alright you fuckers, I'm all aboard the NJPW train.

:toot: I think my wife will enjoy this too.

Welcome aboard, New Japan owns.

...All I need to do now is figure out how to get New Japan World to accept my credit card. :smith:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Great White Hope posted:

...All I need to do now is figure out how to get New Japan World to accept my credit card. :smith:

What's wrong with your card?

Just signed up for it yesterday :dance:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

That sucks.

I know some people had issues with Nico but you're the first person I've heard of who has the same problem with World.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I watched last year's WK, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This year's card looks even better.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I watched last year's WK, and thoroughly enjoyed it. This year's card looks even better.

I've watched almost every single televised NJPW event since the summer of 2012 and I really believe that on paper this is the best card I've seen. I just hope it's not rushed.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I know I talk about my wife a lot but I'm really happy that she's getting into Wrestling :3:

I gotta show her Ishii. She loves big ugly guys that hit hard.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Okada/Tanahashi is basically the best thing ever. Everything else will just be icing on the cake.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I gotta show her Ishii. She loves big ugly guys that hit hard.

You may be surprised to hear that Ishii is like 5'5" - I know I was! I can't imagine someone who kicks that much rear end being shorter than I am.

Upon checking, he's actually billed as 5'6" to 5'7", but it's still pretty impressive that he's tossed Fale around at times.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Gaddamn. I didn't know that. That's loving awesome.

• Locked thread