Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
michelle obama was a divisive figure in american politics

when she advocated for healthier school lunches, many americans argued that... uh... i'm not actually sure what the argument was, but it concluded with "if they try to make my kid eat vegetables, i'll make sure he eats nothing but deep fried lard at home"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
out of the last two democratic first ladies who was the most divisive?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the funniest argument was that children should starve if they’re poor at school

since hunger is a powerful motivator and iirc something about child labor at the school too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the funniest argument was that children should starve if they’re poor at school

since hunger is a powerful motivator and iirc something about child labor at the school too

I think it was ted cruz who suggested hungry children could work as janitors like, before or after school, in exchange for subsidized meals

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

:orb:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ogibWCNKI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not exactly a memory, but I was reading Walter Cronkite's memoirs a while ago, and apparently both the RNC and the DNC made their whole convention process way more photogenic after the 1952 conventions, which were the first and last time the general viewing public could see how the sausage was made.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I remember this once or twice a year and become overwhelmed with a very strange emotion that I have trouble describing

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

I remember this once or twice a year and become overwhelmed with a very strange emotion that I have trouble describing

man I think about this sometimes too

the guys who wrote this song (or at least, the guys who performed it) had their careers destroyed by the 2006 election

their website is owned by a domain squatter and no one has bothered to make wikipedia pages for either of these two dudes

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Supreme Court ruled that quid pro quo corruption is legal and cool.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I invite everyone to try and imagine the world where this wasn't a parody

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not exactly a memory, but I was reading Walter Cronkite's memoirs a while ago, and apparently both the RNC and the DNC made their whole convention process way more photogenic after the 1952 conventions, which were the first and last time the general viewing public could see how the sausage was made.

Is there a link to that part of the memoirs anywhere online?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a link to that part of the memoirs anywhere online?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been scanned for Google Books or anything. :smith:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

in hindsight compared to how dialogue is today it sort of has a muppet baby-esque innocence to it, doesn’t it?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

As someone who didn't really become politically aware until the Obama years, this is insane

Yet by today's standards it is quaint and endearing

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'm the mouth closeup 22 seconds in.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

The Narrator posted:

As someone who didn't really become politically aware until the Obama years, this is insane

Yet by today's standards it is quaint and endearing

things are def loony tunes today but imo the bush years were worse because that was when we started to free-fall into the loony tunes dimension.

we can't emphasize hard enough that the only problem republicans have with trump is his demeanor. the bush admin did all the same poo poo he's doing but they were more cordial about it

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well I mean,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S58CcRQcuuw&t=164s

quote:

Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin wanted to rebuild the Red Army, in the mid-1920s, with Planet-of-the-Apes-style troops by crossing humans with apes. . . Stalin is said to have told Ivanov, ‘I want a new invincible human being, insensitive to pain, resistant and indifferent about the quality of food they eat.’

makes u think

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hillary clinton's campaign installed science fiction noise generators so that bernie couldn't overhear her master plans to take over america and the world instead of just, you know, going inside

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

things are def loony tunes today but imo the bush years were worse because that was when we started to free-fall into the loony tunes dimension.

we can't emphasize hard enough that the only problem republicans have with trump is his demeanor. the bush admin did all the same poo poo he's doing but they were more cordial about it

and they’re not really even too upset about that - trump did a retarded guy impression on stage and none of them even said poo poo about it

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Baloogan posted:

out of the last two democratic first ladies who was the most divisive?

on one hand laura bush was involved in a fatal accident, on the other hand michelle obama is black

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rex-Goliath posted:

hillary clinton's campaign installed science fiction noise generators so that bernie couldn't overhear her master plans to take over america and the world instead of just, you know, going inside

that is funny but they’re not really a science fiction thing. most therapists offices have then outside the doors to make the conversation inside more private.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
when chicago lost its bid for the olympics early in obama's presidency, a roomful of conservatives who were working against it to spite him stood up and cheered

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
bush the lesser staffed his entire administration with liberty u alumni

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dreylad posted:

LBJ lifted the canadian prime minister off his feet and shook him and told him he was pissing on another man's rug

How common are events like these? Or was LBJ just special?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3WWGCK4N0

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/934260358277222400

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered that Michael Richards Kramer Pence, VPOTUS, is a powerbottom for horses lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

crazy cloud posted:

I just remembered that Michael Richards Kramer Pence, VPOTUS, is a powerbottom for horses lmao

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/863198870670458881

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
klingon jesus did nothing wrong other than die without honor

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Poverbs

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

hell yeah

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

still going strong
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/11/anthony_scaramucci_threatens_to_sue_tufts_newspaper_student

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

I just noticed Ben is wearing scrubs under his jacket and Jesus has on a terrycloth bathrobe

I love Ben Carson