Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

It's kinda amazing that Facebook tried that poo poo after linkedin tried the same poo poo with their esmtp proxy thing they tried to get people to install so they could automatically link emails to profiles and got the hell smacked out of them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

I fail to recognise the “bad practice” here. Researchers clearly asked for consent, in case of teens they have required parental consent as well, they have had clearly worded policy, they have generously paid for participation.

There is no other way to see the user experience in the whole without using VPN and custom root SSL certificate since every app is sandboxed and traffic is sent over HTTPS most of the times.

did you paste this from a comment somewhere

the first bad practice was violating apple's terms with regards to who apps signed with that certificate may be given to, that made this open and shut. the second bad practice was using this to circumvent an app store ban, that made this open and shut with extreme prejudice. on top of that there are all the arguments to be had over whether the level of disclosure was sufficient, whether the users really understood the full implications of what they were doing, whether they did due diligence as to verifying parental consent was actually obtained, whether it's appropriate to make that sort of offer to teenagers in the first place, and the ethics of turning users' phones into bugging devices to obtain data on competitors

facebook is exactly the sort of malicious actor that apple's heavy handed walled garden poo poo is meant to protect users from

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

haveblue posted:

did you paste this from a comment somewhere

I’m the EULA defender

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm p.sure that unless the app is explicitly doing cert pinning that what facebook did allows for TLS intercept

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

apseudonym posted:

We also don't present an option to allow apps to rootkit your phone?

sorry for the hyperbole

my point was there's no distinction between permissions that are usually malicious, and benign permissions required for basic functions

it's not as clear as it should be to a non-technical user that certain permissions should be a red flag

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fisting by many posted:

sorry for the hyperbole

my point was there's no distinction between permissions that are usually malicious, and benign permissions required for basic functions

it's not as clear as it should be to a non-technical user that certain permissions should be a red flag

if a permission is benign, why does the app even need to ask for it

if a permission is "usually malicious", apps should probably be banned from even asking for it

expecting normal users to janitor their app permissions is never going to not suck

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

all their internal apps are dead

"Apple has shut down Facebook’s ability to distribute internal iOS apps, from early releases of the Facebook app to basic tools like a lunch menu. A person familiar with the situation tells The Verge that early versions of Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, and other pre-release “dogfood” (beta) apps have stopped working, as have other employee apps, like one for transportation."

does this mean they yanked all of facebooks development certs or that Facebook was using the same cert for all of this

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

are there any actually good security consulting firms?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at getting this design irb approval at any real research organization

The approach many researchers take here is
(1) write an extremely abstract proposal & application
(2) actively mislead the IRB in follow-up clarification and committee

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bitter bi rival posted:

does this mean they yanked all of facebooks development certs or that Facebook was using the same cert for all of this

what they yanked was the "enterprise certificate", which is different from the "developer certificate". there's only these two, really

the developer cert is used to sign apps for submission to the app store. this is the cert that signs public releases of the official app, messenger, etc. this cert has not been touched so far was we know and the apps are still up on the store

the enterprise cert is used when you have to put an app on a device as part of your internal operations. you can't put an entirely unsigned app on an ios device unless you jailbreak it, there always has to be some level of credentials/trust involved. so this cert is used to e.g. give a build to your QA department that they can put on all their devices. or to make small in-house apps that don't need to go through the app store because anyone and everyone who uses them works for you to begin with. this cert was used for a bunch of those things and was also abused for this VPN research program, so when apple killed it a ton of internal facebook utilities went with it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Main Paineframe posted:

if a permission is "usually malicious", apps should probably be banned from even asking for it

What is malicious? Most people respond "meh" at the slightest hint of inconvenience. "Malicious" seems to be publicly defined as anything more than a few clicks between a live smartphone camera video and automatic puppy dog overlays in streamed video.

"Hey I need to read your location briefly to do the thing you wanted me to do just now" and "Lol I'm going to track you forever" are the same permission prompt in mobile platforms.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

are there any actually good security consulting firms?

yes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

what they yanked was the "enterprise certificate", which is different from the "developer certificate". there's only these two, really

the developer cert is used to sign apps for submission to the app store. this is the cert that signs public releases of the official app, messenger, etc. this cert has not been touched so far was we know and the apps are still up on the store

the enterprise cert is used when you have to put an app on a device as part of your internal operations. you can't put an entirely unsigned app on an ios device unless you jailbreak it, there always has to be some level of credentials/trust involved. so this cert is used to e.g. give a build to your QA department that they can put on all their devices. or to make small in-house apps that don't need to go through the app store because anyone and everyone who uses them works for you to begin with. this cert was used for a bunch of those things and was also abused for this VPN research program, so when apple killed it a ton of internal facebook utilities went with it

I think the question was more did Apple suspend the certificates for Instagram Inc and WhatsApp Inc as well or was Facebook only using Facebook Inc's enterprise certificate for all of their internal apps?

I don't know if Apple allows that sort of per-subsidiary certificate structure or not, but if they do I could definitely see the reasoning behind yanking all of them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not knowing what action apple took here specifically, it would make sense that entities that existed before FB acquisition have their own apple certs.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phone posted:

I fail to recognise the “bad practice” here. Researchers clearly asked for consent, in case of teens they have required parental consent as well, they have had clearly worded policy, they have generously paid for participation.

There is no other way to see the user experience in the whole without using VPN and custom root SSL certificate since every app is sandboxed and traffic is sent over HTTPS most of the times.

ok subjunctive but have you considered that maybe companies shouldn't make monitoring the user experience of teenagers their business

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I think the question was more did Apple suspend the certificates for Instagram Inc and WhatsApp Inc as well or was Facebook only using Facebook Inc's enterprise certificate for all of their internal apps?

I don't know if Apple allows that sort of per-subsidiary certificate structure or not, but if they do I could definitely see the reasoning behind yanking all of them.

if you're at fbook and making a lovely little app to track when the company bus picks you up from the gentrification district to ferry you to Menlo Park you're probably just gonna get it deployed with the normal enterprise cert flow instead of figuring out how to use some acquisition's long-expired dev account to get a new enterprise cert

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Potato Salad posted:

Not knowing what action apple took here specifically, it would make sense that entities that existed before FB acquisition have their own apple certs.

I agree, maintaining the old certs/dev accounts is the only way (that I know of) to retain the original store listings for instagram.app/whatsapp.app and the ability to deploy updates to installs of those listings

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you're at fbook and making a lovely little app to track when the company bus picks you up from the gentrification district to ferry you to Menlo Park you're probably just gonna get it deployed with the normal enterprise cert flow instead of figuring out how to use some acquisition's long-expired dev account to get a new enterprise cert

sure, but that article says that internal Instagram and Whatapp betas were affected.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

sure, but that article says that internal Instagram and Whatapp betas were affected.

I'd guess that they do internal betas with the fbook enterprise cert and only have dev certs for instagram and whatsapp

e: that way they don't have to juggle multiple enterprise certs for fbook employees that want to beta-test all these different apps

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they'd want to use the same dev cert for all their apps so the apps can access shared storage where they store the user tracking data

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

they'd want to use the same dev cert for all their apps so the apps can access shared storage where they store the user tracking data

why would you store tracking data on the phone instead of in the datacenter? the only thing you'd want to share on-device is a login token

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why would you store tracking data on the phone instead of in the datacenter? the only thing you'd want to share on-device is a login token

you have to share that login token between the apps somehow, either via the Keychain or App Group containers, both of which require the apps involved to be signed with the same key

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't use facebook and have never made an iOS app that stores data

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phone posted:

They definitely got a 13 year old to get informed parental consent in the form of them just personally clicking an "I agree" button which dispenses $20 for reasons the 13 year old doesn't fully understand.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I don't use facebook

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Snitches get stitches.

:toughguy:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Volmarias posted:

They definitely got a 13 year old to get informed parental consent in the form of them just personally clicking an "I agree" button which dispenses $20 for reasons the 13 year old doesn't fully understand.

I'm not allowed to have my own cell phone so my dad forced me to use his phone number. My dad has a steam too and uses the same number. today my brother used my dads account and cheated and now my main account is VAC banned. It's true and here is proof, my father will now write too:

Hello I'm the father and what my son says is true, he did not cheat, it was his brother on my account. Please unban him valve

sincerely the father

Pls unban

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zero One posted:

I'm not allowed to have my own cell phone so my dad forced me to use his phone number. My dad has a steam too and uses the same number. today my brother used my dads account and cheated and now my main account is VAC banned. It's true and here is proof, my father will now write too:

Hello I'm the father and what my son says is true, he did not cheat, it was his brother on my account. Please unban him valve

sincerely the father

Pls unban

Reported to Garry.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

burn it all down

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1090686500331814914

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

:allears:

it is fun to watch because it isn't happening to me.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

would u like to elaborate, im trying to find one thats actually good to consult on a v large project

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1090690040047509505

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
This is like the old crapware that existed for Windows"let us track your computer and web browsing use, show ads and get money" just the Mobile version

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Celexi posted:

This is like the old crapware that existed for Windows"let us track your computer and web browsing use, show ads and get money" just the Mobile version

lol i remember being annoyed back then that it wasnt available outside america

thank god for that lmao

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

tbf I already have a google spy app on my phone.

It's called Android.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1090662132600000513

Facebook phone coming soon? Bargaining chip for Apple?

I hate Apple as well, but gently caress this guy's narrative.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

lol i remember being annoyed back then that it wasnt available outside america

thank god for that lmao

lol alladvantage

i never met a single person who used it legit, just various ways of scamming the company:
  • rigging up the mouse with a stick and oscillating fan
  • trembler.exe and other programs that faked browser usage
  • programs that flat-out spoofed the protocol and made dozens of dummy referral accounts to pump up the main one (the last straw before they went bust)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

Facebook already tried a Facebook phone.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

Facebook already tried a Facebook phone.

You don't need a facebook phone when you can train your userbase to enable developer mode and sideload an APK that all but roots an android phone. See fortnite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CmdrRiker posted:

"a policy violation"