Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the new Resident Evil 4 Remake actually has wall-splatting on melee attacks and it's very satisfying when it happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

the new Resident Evil 4 Remake actually has wall-splatting on melee attacks and it's very satisfying when it happens

I wish the combat of that game was more similar to RE6. I really really liked RE6 Mercenaries but found the combat of RE4Make to be a bit lacking in comparison.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Stranger of Paradise is loving amazing. It's really up there with Nioh 2 in terms of gameplay. The combat is incredibly satisfying, especially once all the mechanics click for you, and it's also nice to not have to constantly watch out for souls-like bullshit, like you have to in Nioh.

The story threw me for a loop. I don't want to say much but it ended up being extremely not what I was expecting from the beginning and also, I'm generally a big fan of a well executed Chekhov's Gun.

Great game, overall. Easily my favorite Final Fantasy gamer, not that the bar is particularly high.
It's just a shame it took so long to get the performance into a playable state and it's still not great.

Thank loving god someone else gave this game a chance. It looks like complete rear end and people bandwagoned on it way too hard but this game legit has one of the best combat mechanics in the modern era especially for a soulslike. It's honestly crazy how different all the jobs are, like Team Ninja legit fit so many different combat styles into one. On NG+ if you go online the support classes actual have usefulness as well. One of my favorite games of 2022.

Also I finished MGR on hard, it wasn't hard as I said. Like any game with parry as a main mechanic(Sekiro/Wulong) once you play the game once it's just super linear pattern recognization and you just need fast enough reflexes. The only hard part in the whole game for me is the precision cut because I have camera controls inverted it's really hard to align the cuts in the qte scenario vs Armstrong. I know you can slide under to dodge the rocks he sends but those drop items if you cut them all. If the last boss didn't have that part I would replay it again on very hard but that is just annoying and I can't ever figure out the controls. Is Jetstream Sam worth playing? I am thinking doing one more run with him and I am done.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Sam plays pretty differently, with a charge mechanic and taunt, but I think he's fun. It's a pretty short DLC, so it won't cost you much to try.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Post-game of Stranger of Paradise really highlights the same issue a ton of similar games have.
The basic attacks are useless and you always want to do as few of them as possible to trigger whatever special you actually want to do.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah I would advise anyone playing SoP to just put it down once you beat the main story, unless you like spending the next dozen hours or so farming drops to build a gear set that lets you sleepwalk through the DLC content. Cuz if you don't do that you're gonna get oneshot by every enemy and they'll each take 10 minutes to kill

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For how good SoP is its DLC suuuuuucks to play. If you want to experience the story turn on baby mode and utilize the liberator's invincibility to tank everything. Until you fight something that can strip you of your buffs, like the bosses of the first dlc, then you have to be careful.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said this before the DLC jobs are amazing but post main game it's basically a Path of Exile or Diablo game more than it is Souls based. It's all about build min/max, grinding for items. I played the main game on hard without companions but the dlc I did online co-op because it's super grindy.

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah I would advise anyone playing SoP to just put it down once you beat the main story, unless you like spending the next dozen hours or so farming drops to build a gear set that lets you sleepwalk through the DLC content. Cuz if you don't do that you're gonna get oneshot by every enemy and they'll each take 10 minutes to kill

Ya pretty much this. The bosses are cool so if you want to check it out I would recommend going online to do it quickly. I really hope Rise of The Ronin has no loot system and more action game systems.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I gave up on my Ninja Gaiden 1 Very Hard run, the early few levels before you upgrade to having flying swallow is a nightmare and you are literally fighting final third enemies with that tiny hp bar. Just happy that I finished it on normal and hard I guess. I really hate these old games had no carryover or ng +.

I started Ninja Gaiden 2, drat this game is hilarious and so far more fun than NG1 even though NG1 is amazing. You fight a Godzilla level Buddha statue in downtown Tokyo on the first level and the 3rd level you get teased with fighting the state of Liberty. I already played NG2 on 360 back in the day, I always thought the combat was more fun in this but the level design of NG1 was better. Also there are more weapons to play with early on.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had a weird desire to play Dante's Inferno recently. Who remembers this God of War clone? EA and Visceral certainly don't. The game isn't distributed digitally anywhere, so I took a trip to a vintage game store and picked it up physical for a cool 12 dollars.

This game is strange and also kinda bad. It opens with Dante participating in a massacre in Jerusalem and getting killed for it, then stealing Death's scythe as he comes to collect and killing HIM with it. So begins a descent into a gamified Inferno. The combat is a flimsy copy of God of War's and a lot of the enemies suck to fight. Descending into hell is a literal descent through the game complete with cliff rappelling which I like, and there are enemies themed around every ring. There was a lot of attention to the source and adapting it, but it's loose. There is platforming and it too is bad. There's no magnetism to platforms, the jump is floaty, and the camera angle (fixed on a rail identical to GoW) frequently hides the depth of the scene making it easy to misjudge jumps. It kinda feels like an early PS2 game in that regard.

What compelled me to post about it though is that I want to complain. The combat ranges from ok to bad but then you descend into the 8th circle, Fraud, and its 10 malebolge are turned into combat challenges. One bolgia challenge is to complete with a single uninterrupted combo. This was excruciatingly difficult as the combo drops after about half a second and the game won't hold it for anything; not for judgement kills, magic, getting knocked down, nothing. Two enemies in the arena can and do block, and getting blocked does not count as a hit. The key was to spam speedy cross attacks over and over again and hope nothing rushes and knocks me down, but it took me over a dozen tries. Not long afterward is the descent into the 9th Circle, Treachery, and the final boss. The first phase is obnoxious giant battle with highly damaging, tough to dodge attacks. I ended up abusing invincibility magic. When you stun it, you can only hit its weakpoint with ranged cross attacks. The second phase is much easier, but it's marred by the fact Lucifer is hanging dong the whole time for no reason. It's a strange game.

After beating it I think I'd rate it 6/10. It's not actively horrible but just bad enough in enough places to be merely meh but there are things I do actually like. If for some reason you wanted to you can read the poem in its entirety in the menu, scrolling like a Star Wars opening crawl. I think Visceral was working on a sequel that ended up getting canned, which is a shame because ascending the Mountain of Purgatorio would have been kinda cool. I remember this game being a bit controversial on release but after playing it I can't help but note it does some really wild things with Christianity.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only thing I remember about Dante’s Inferno is Satan’s big floppy dick. Weird game

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I remember not really knowing what to make of it at the time, and then kind of forgetting it, and then finding it somewhat interesting. Eventually I watched this video essay by RagnaRox outlining how it's a surprisingly good adaptation of the source material into a completely new medium and managed a surprising amount of literary worth despite being positioned and, let's be honest, marketed, as schlock. Notably I did all of this without ever actually playing the game, which probably helped my opinion of it a lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hatty posted:

The only thing I remember about Dante’s Inferno is Satan’s big floppy dick. Weird game

This and that the good route projectile crosses were stupidly bonkers good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the game takes the subject matter quite seriously and adapts it pretty well. Vergil quotes his own lines from the poem verbatim. Almost all of the locations featured in the poem are present. There are a couple things missing from Treachery, but honestly very little is lost by skipping to Satan since all the other sinners are basically encased in ice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I enjoyed Dante's Inferno back when it came out, but I can't imagine ever going back to it. I can't imagine it's aged particularly well, even setting aside the edginess of it all. I don't think its combat was as good as an old GoW game (granted I haven't spent a lot of time with that era of GoW), and the genre has advanced quite a lot since then.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SettingSun posted:

I had a weird desire to play Dante's Inferno recently.

I remember it having some of the spongiest enemies ever.

It was not a good game.

King of Solomon posted:

I enjoyed Dante's Inferno back when it came out, but I can't imagine ever going back to it. I can't imagine it's aged particularly well, even setting aside the edginess of it all. I don't think its combat was as good as an old GoW game (granted I haven't spent a lot of time with that era of GoW), and the genre has advanced quite a lot since then.

It was a pretty poor clone at the time. I can't imagine how badly it would feel to play now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The combat wasn’t good then and it didn’t age well now. And yeah the enemies were both sponges and didn’t react to attacks. So you can start your combo and they’ll no sell it most of the time, making it pretty hard to guess when they would attack you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like it ripped off God of War perfectly then lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mGnLIHnCY

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not feeling it.

There's something about Chinese action games that feel off. Visually they are ok but when you actually see them played in real time they seem very janky.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Not feeling it.

There's something about Chinese action games that feel off. Visually they are ok but when you actually see them played in real time they seem very janky.

Forgot to mention they never have release dates or none of them ever come out. What happened to Lost Soul Aside, Wukong Black Myth, Where Winds Meet? I am not buying the hype for any of these games until they come out and get reviewed. Look like glorified tech demos to me. Hope I am wrong and China is a new vector of game development in AAA single player games.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ulio posted:

Forgot to mention they never have release dates or none of them ever come out. What happened to Lost Soul Aside, Wukong Black Myth, Where Winds Meet? I am not buying the hype for any of these games until they come out and get reviewed. Look like glorified tech demos to me. Hope I am wrong and China is a new vector of game development in AAA single player games.

I completely forgot about Wukong. That feels like it has been in development forever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone played the FFXVI demo? How does it's combat stack up against "character action" games?
Combat in the gameplay previews I saw did not look good but maybe it's different in practice.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 19, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone played the FFXIV demo? How does it's combat stack up against "character action" games?
Combat in the gameplay previews I saw did not look good but maybe it's different in practice.

Based on the demo, it's designed by ex- Capcom dude and it shows. Clive has similar moves and abilities like Nero and Dante from DMC5.

Not sure what you mean by not good but it plays really well and is super responsive.

There's definitely a skill ceiling because there's timing based moves and you chain stuff together for long combos.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Not sure what you mean by not good but it plays really well and is super responsive.

It looked like every action jrpger ever where the attack button only exists to kill time between the cooldowns of your special attacks/magic, but again, I haven't touched the game, it's just an impression I got from the footage.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Your Eikonic special moves have cooldown but there's a lot of stuff you can do that isn't CD based so you'll probably end up losing a lot of damage if you play that way.

Later you'll be able switch Eikons or "styles" in real time with a button press so it's definitely another DMC inspired mechanic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone played the FFXIV demo? How does it's combat stack up against "character action" games?

Free trial goes all the way up to Heavensward now

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
It's extremely DMC yes. The one Eikon spell you get in the story demo (haven't played the challenge yet) has such a long cooldown that your regular stuff is the star of the show. You've got the DMC mainstays like enemy step, stinger and helm breaker too, and doing magic burst strings feels very Nero-like to me. From the later gameplay videos, switching between other Eikons seems to act as different weapons or styles too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Eikonic Challenge gives you Phoenix, Garuda and Titan powers to play around with and switch between. There's a bit of depth in how some attack properties differ depending on if you're in the air or not, or what the previous move you cancelled from was, or if the enemy was about to attack you and you parry/deflected it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH5SPS9wda4

Just a video showcasing some of the stuff not immediately obvious.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The only thing I have absorbed about FFXVI is that the quick-get-up-from-knockdown move also acts as a parry and I don't understand that at all but it rules

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If anyone has doubts whether or not this is a character action game:

https://youtu.be/uB5xFH8rwRI

Its DMC as gently caress.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk lets you do an Aerial Rave on a cop. That's close enough right?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pL3joRyeGY

2024 according to the description box. No mention of a date in the trailer lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

drat. That doesn't necessarily read like a voluntary resignation announcement either lol

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"We regret to announce" makes it sound like they weren't anticipating his resignation, and his own statement on twitter certainly makes it sound like he chose to quit.

It's been years since he directed and released a big game, so maybe he just wants to actually get something out and not just produce or manage the business. Platinum's been talking about growing to 1000 people and focusing more on live service so I can see why now would be the time to leave.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

But who will tell us now how Bayonetta 3's plot totally didn't suck?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wonder if this means that Ultraman style game got canned. Hell, considering how long it's been since they announced it, they probably canceled it a while ago

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

drat, i hope Kamiya finds a good team to keep making games with. he has some unfortunate tendencies but h'es one of the greatest to ever do it (direct video games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Platinum is shifting to multiplayer GAAS games right? His Ultraman game probably got cancelled or was changing into something he didn’t like so he quit