Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I took a very, very, very, very long break in playing this game and I forgot a lot of things, so I started over and am slowly remembering everything. But here are two things I can't remember and I'm sure you all can help with:

1) When discovering mastery sets, when you have something that's unknown but hinted at, it just corresponds to the color of the category, right? e.g. if it's green it's basic, red it's attack, etc. And if it says "it is one of the masteries that you can research" that doesn't necessarily mean you can currently research it, just that it's in your discovery list, right? Like if it's something that you know the ingredients for but one of the ingredients is something you can't make. This is my understanding, but I just want to make sure.

2) I'm in the middle of chapter 3, just finished scenario #4 "Stop and Look Back," when do I get Heixing? I have a ton of gun masteries and I've been using mulching them but I have a few that look cool and I don't remember how long I should be saving them.

1) Yes, indeed.
2) The recruitment order: Albus->Sion->Irene->Anne->Heixing->... . So it'll be some time yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How is the DLC doing in terms of content, by the way? Like in quality, I know it is still far from finished. I bought it when it came out, faceplanted several times in the first mission and then decided to let it lie for a while because the backlog is long.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's got 3 plot missions (including the character intro solo mission) and 1 normal repeatable mission. It also introduces a new character and a new tameable monster type. So not too much yet, but some.

Edit: Oh, you said quality, not quantity. Eh. It's more of the same, but not as good as the last one yet.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I liked what’s in it so far in terms of map design but it’s really early in the mission cycle, I think.

The new beasts aren’t explained very well. I had to replay their mission a couple times to figure out their gimmick and I still don’t really understand their offensive mimic.

Really want to level one with akimbo pistols, if that’s possible

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The evasion mimicry stuff is evil.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Clarste posted:

The evasion mimicry stuff is evil.

Apparently people wanted dodge based enemies? And then Dandylion decided to make everyone Regret That.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I got Heixing after one more scenario mission, so hooray. Now a new question that I feel like I should know the answer to at this point: are hit chance and dodge chance calculated separately, or together? i.e. do you roll a chance to hit, then they roll a chance to dodge, or is it just your hit chance with their dodge subtracted? And then is block rolled afterward? I feel like I'm finally at the point where things don't just die when I look at them and I feel like I need to pick targets better. I also wish I could see the hit/dodge/block chances when enemies attack me so I could tell just how much help the defense masteries are providing. I can't really tell if it's worth it to bump up my dodge/block chance when 95% of things miss me and then every once in a while I get hit with a crit and die.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can see the detailed modifier breakdown when you target someone.

the very early game is really easy to the point where you can just do whatever with builds. then there's a very obvious point in the early-mid game where the difficulty spikes because a new enemy faction with functional mastery builds appears. it keeps escalating from there.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I'm free * **

There are a few achievements that are counter-intuitive, require some really specific set-up, or otherwise confusing, so I guess if anyone is stuck on one just ask because I never found a real achievement guide.

* Until they add more

** Other than all the other content I need to do

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 15, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was a little burnt out on the game but I finally recruited Irene and it's happy times again. (There's a fire joke in there, I know.)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Saint Freak posted:

I'm free * **

There are a few achievements that are counter-intuitive, require some really specific set-up, or otherwise confusing, so I guess if anyone is stuck on one just ask because I never found a real achievement guide.

* Until they add more

** Other than all the other content I need to do

Congrats on earning your avatar, hero!

I got all the achievements before the DLCs started coming out and added MORE achievements.

i think I'll wait for Misty's adventures to conclude before I really jump in again

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

13 hours into the game, three aborted starts at it, and this time I've stuck around long enough to unlock Irene! :toot:

... Does she ever get any depth as a character? I confess that I am not particularly impressed with "I am a Hero! ... oh a man died ... I guess I'll join the Troubleshooters!" as an arc, it's like she's got literally nothing else going on for her. Sion has his family and eats and worries about Albus, Albus has his mysterious investigation, so like, I expect there to be SOMETHING going on in this character-focused game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

She does get a little development later in the game but her primary role is to be a loveable dope to counterbalance all the characters who go way in the opposite direction and have complicated torturous pasts. Which is basically every single party member you get after her. And Sion, oddly.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Irene is the best.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

13 hours into the game, three aborted starts at it, and this time I've stuck around long enough to unlock Irene! :toot:

... Does she ever get any depth as a character? I confess that I am not particularly impressed with "I am a Hero! ... oh a man died ... I guess I'll join the Troubleshooters!" as an arc, it's like she's got literally nothing else going on for her. Sion has his family and eats and worries about Albus, Albus has his mysterious investigation, so like, I expect there to be SOMETHING going on in this character-focused game.

You sound like a villain!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

She gets this whole arc about she can't just be a loveable dope her whole life.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Fruits of the sea posted:

She does get a little development later in the game but her primary role is to be a loveable dope to counterbalance all the characters who go way in the opposite direction and have complicated torturous pasts. Which is basically every single party member you get after her. And Sion, oddly.

Yeah she is like also the one party member whose motivations in joining the company are mostly motivated by wanting to do good and help others (well, who isn't a child). Most everyone else falls into it or has an angle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

She gets this whole arc about she can't just be a loveable dope her whole life.

Yeah, Irene's arc isn't really about having a deep tragic conspiracy-laden past or some unsolved mystery to address, it's about her coming to terms with what she wants to do for people and the best way to go about it.

Her taking the step to go from unlicensed vigilante to member of your team is one of the first steps on that path.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Well, it was nice having all the achievements for a few days.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saint Freak posted:

Well, it was nice having all the achievements for a few days.

I used to have all the cheevos for Into the Breach and Mini Metro - and it's a weird feeling, going "yesss more content" and "nooo I had that 100%!"

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Am I supposed to be abusing the Masteries and the Mastery Sets to turn my characters into Gods of death? Maybe it’s just because I am not mainlining the story missions, but doing the repeatable side missions at least once each as well, but I just unlocked the shopping district. I have Sion up to like level 17ish and about finished maxing his second job. Just picking out masteries that compliment his lightning have him at around 800-1000 ranged magic damage. If he hits, anything (and usually multiple things) die instantly. I have Albus with enough range to cross what seems like half of anything but the largest of maps (and he gets a 10speed discount when he runs far).

I am playing on hard, but I think I need to start mainlining story progression for a bit until the challenge picks up. Right now about the only time it gets difficult is if I over extend and get someone completely surrounded. All my characters will go down after a couple of good hits. I don’t appear to be massively over leveled for the story missions. I think the next one is 15, and my characters are like 17 or 18 just from exploring the new content just unlocked.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

The game has so many more mechanics and systems than you actually need. The balance seems to assume that you won't bother to put effort into all of them, so if you do you end up trivializing basically everything. If you want a challenge, it basically has to be a conduct run where you jack up the difficulty and limit how many little sub-systems you engage with.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orvin posted:

Am I supposed to be abusing the Masteries and the Mastery Sets to turn my characters into Gods of death?

Yes.

The game does get more difficult so keeping up with it as it ramps up is required. I think the game was in early access for a long time and being released piecemeal so the devs kind of start building enemies to directly counter popular builds lol.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The difficulty will pick up quite a bit if you follow the storyline. There's an uptick basically every time a new enemy type is introduced. And yes, you should absolutely turn your dudes into gods of death because the game will try to pull simililar overpowered bullshit. Its like reverse nu-Xcom in terms of difficulty

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Orvin posted:

Am I supposed to be abusing the Masteries and the Mastery Sets to turn my characters into Gods of death? Maybe it’s just because I am not mainlining the story missions, but doing the repeatable side missions at least once each as well, but I just unlocked the shopping district. I have Sion up to like level 17ish and about finished maxing his second job. Just picking out masteries that compliment his lightning have him at around 800-1000 ranged magic damage. If he hits, anything (and usually multiple things) die instantly. I have Albus with enough range to cross what seems like half of anything but the largest of maps (and he gets a 10speed discount when he runs far).

I am playing on hard, but I think I need to start mainlining story progression for a bit until the challenge picks up. Right now about the only time it gets difficult is if I over extend and get someone completely surrounded. All my characters will go down after a couple of good hits. I don’t appear to be massively over leveled for the story missions. I think the next one is 15, and my characters are like 17 or 18 just from exploring the new content just unlocked.

right now you are using the most basic tools against the most basic enemies. you get new and better masteries as you go through the game. real optimization is using multiple overlapping and synergizing mastery sets. an early synergy that is never outmoded is very simple: bloodbath and traces of blood. bloodbath and its parts gives you bonuses against bleeding targets, which might not sound great since you have to hit them first to inflict it. but traces of blood enhances bladestorm, which is a mastery that provides a chance to do a followup attack if you hit someone. the first hit has a high chance to inflict bleeding, which due to traces of blood increases the chance of proccing bladestorm, and then the second hit gets all the benefits against a bleeding target. also, the two have a mastery in common. also also, there's even a mastery to drain hp by hitting a bleeding target.

then in the midgame you can get access to masteries that give extra actions with kills and it all goes absolutely bananas.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So I did the new story mission and Irene killed the boss in one hit which made me laugh, and then I got an achievement called "Who's the real monster?" and I laughed again. But now I have no idea how the mission was supposed to play out.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Just started this game. Not super-impressed so far but I'm hoping it gets better? So far it's bad XCOM with less customization. I have only 2 people in my army right now though.

I was hoping for a game with tons of customization since that's what folks say this is but right now I'm locked into two dumb guys and three "generic NPCs" that can't even complete quest events :(

It's definitely got that XCOM "play an entire turn and hit nothing at all" going for it though! :haw: Seven misses in a row, all over 60%. Then again, it's probably triple that if I include the computer. Everyone misses a lot.

When can you start choosing a roster? Can I recruit randos or is it stuck on story companions?

E: Don't mean to sound too down on this thing, I was just disappointed that I was promised mass customization and after 3h I have one other guy. Playing pretty princess-maker with my team was super fun in XCOM.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 23, 2023

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

Just started this game. Not super-impressed so far but I'm hoping it gets better? So far it's bad XCOM with less customization. I have only 2 people in my army right now though.

I was hoping for a game with tons of customization since that's what folks say this is but right now I'm locked into two dumb guys and three "generic NPCs" that can't even complete quest events :(

It's definitely got that XCOM "play an entire turn and hit nothing at all" going for it though! Seven misses in a row, all over 60%.

The cops with guns are the equivalent of XCOM rookies, borderline useless. They do have a delay attack that has it uses.

The melee cops are actually somewhat useful. They do decent damage early in the game, have a counter attack, and can auto dodge the first overwatch attack.

At least I have found that to be the case early in the game. No idea about further in.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Clarste posted:

So I did the new story mission and Irene killed the boss in one hit which made me laugh, and then I got an achievement called "Who's the real monster?" and I laughed again. But now I have no idea how the mission was supposed to play out.

Same, except for me it was Leton who smoked the boss with a supercharged counterattack. Kind of a meh update tbh

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Orvin posted:

The cops with guns are the equivalent of XCOM rookies, borderline useless. They do have a delay attack that has it uses.

The melee cops are actually somewhat useful. They do decent damage early in the game, have a counter attack, and can auto dodge the first overwatch attack.

At least I have found that to be the case early in the game. No idea about further in.

Yeah, I've only got three rangedbois right now. I'd even settle for picking my lineup of NPCs at this point. I do play quite slow because I'm terrible, but I'm 3h in (lost a combat when it failed to teach me about impact damage being A Thing until it killed me), and this is going slllloooooowww.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If the early gameplay isn't doing it for you, crank the difficulty down and blitz through story missions until you recruit one or two other characters, then crank it back up. The game has an insane amount of content so you don't really need to worry about "wasting" missions.

The early game is a very slow burn and it takes a fair while before you start putting your real team together, which is an intentional story beat, but it's understandable if you're not feeling "rookie troubleshooter, his partner, and the squad of cops they're assisting".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the great thing about troubleshooter 2 seemingly like its going to start you off with the spoonists is that is going to do a way better first impression of the game than the generic cops.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Because of the way you get masteries from enemies, your customization is directly tied to the enemies your fighting. The more bullshit the enemies are, the more bullshit you can do. You never get to recruit generic humans, only the story characters, but you can tame generic beasts which have just as much customization.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Kanos posted:

If the early gameplay isn't doing it for you, crank the difficulty down and blitz through story missions until you recruit one or two other characters, then crank it back up. The game has an insane amount of content so you don't really need to worry about "wasting" missions.

The early game is a very slow burn and it takes a fair while before you start putting your real team together, which is an intentional story beat, but it's understandable if you're not feeling "rookie troubleshooter, his partner, and the squad of cops they're assisting".

THANK YOU

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Any thoughts on about how long into the game until you unlock some more breathing room on a roster?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Thursday Next posted:

THANK YOU

Any thoughts on about how long into the game until you unlock some more breathing room on a roster?

You will get two more party members in chapter 2, one of them is a healer which means like half of the reason why you might use the generic shooter cops (healing potions) is gone. I think I was having the generic cops retreat at the start of missions at that point (which btw is something you should do once you get more characters, you really don't need them and they just make turns last longer, there is a lil button for it) but you should def feel comfortable doing that by chapter 3 when you get one more party member if not then.

Orvin posted:

Yeah I will sometimes keep maybe one of or two of them, especially if they have Jane among them.

e: the other thing with focusing on the story missions is a lot of them do play with the format, so you will get some variety going besides cops even before they officially hand you new party members

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Thursday Next posted:

THANK YOU

It's a jrpg and the game is more of a slice of life merc story job for a long while, this isn't xcom where things escalate quick.

I would say until you get Child Soldier Healer is when things pick up a bit.

But also don't worry, there's like another 50+ hours of gameplay after getting everyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
your battle party size is 8, and there are 12 characters. plus craftable drones and recruitable monsters.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

your battle party size is 8, and there are 12 characters. plus craftable drones and recruitable monsters.

This goes up as the story goes on too, I can't remember exactly when but I do know that as you progress you should be able to take all your characters along on missons

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I usually keep it at 8 because the game gets kinda slow when juggling the entire roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Only Trust Ctrl+Shift+6
Police Will Never Help You