Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Bigbillthaboss posted:

wasn't there a sketchy venture capital firm that held a large stake in CCP prior to the Pearl Abyss purchase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCP_Games

quote:

CCP hf., doing business as CCP Games, is an Icelandic video game developer based in Reykjavík. Novator Partners and General Catalyst had previously collectively owned a majority stake in the company, and in September 2018, CCP was acquired by South Korean video game publisher Pearl Abyss for $425 million.

Novator Partners - British private equity investment firm

General Catalyst Partners - American venture capital firm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurrHurrHurr
Jul 19, 2022

Xolve posted:

That's incredible.

Yeah I made him so mad he started mass-muting a bunch of people until the owner showed up and yoinked his roles lmao.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://forums.eveonline.com/t/discussion-community-safety-in-eve-online/370833

And the comments thread there is predictably bad, with plenty of trolls and worse.
Arrendis and Xttz are goodposting in there, but the rest is just noise.

I guess CCP is actually responding to the crap that's happened though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
and brisc somehow makes it all about the time he got banned.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bigbillthaboss posted:

wasn't there a sketchy venture capital firm that held a large stake in CCP prior to the Pearl Abyss purchase?

Well it was originally part owned by the richest man from Iceland who was up to his neck laundering and funding the Russian Mafia.

So I guess they've moved down in the world.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Just to back up what was said about Prencleeve, the kid was hurting himself and a few people talked about it and balanced the "contacting IRL is icky and it'll suck for him to have someone tell his gran" against "it'll suck more when his gran works out he's spending hundreds of pounds of her money and he keeps painting a huge target on himself for far worse people in GSF and Eve". It was a genuine attempt at an intervention from a place of "poor, dumb kid" and whatever Blawrf said seems to have put the kid on a better track (and before copies of his videos became wider meme material he'd have to live with his whole life).

Good grief he was phenomenally annoying, though. I'm glad he seems to have changed after leaving Eve behind. It seems to be a theme.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mcjomar posted:

https://forums.eveonline.com/t/discussion-community-safety-in-eve-online/370833

And the comments thread there is predictably bad, with plenty of trolls and worse.
Arrendis and Xttz are goodposting in there, but the rest is just noise.

I guess CCP is actually responding to the crap that's happened though.

The "Help I watched a major name in Canadian domestic terrorism get assaulted by multiple men" post did make it their way, and if anything screamed "we need to speak up, what the gently caress" to CCP, it was that plus Xenuria.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Join GOOSEFLEET TODAY!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheWeedNumber posted:

Join GOOSEFLEET TODAY!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
actually you should unsubscribe from this game and then delete it

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Endie posted:

Just to back up what was said about Prencleeve, the kid was hurting himself and a few people talked about it and balanced the "contacting IRL is icky and it'll suck for him to have someone tell his gran" against "it'll suck more when his gran works out he's spending hundreds of pounds of her money and he keeps painting a huge target on himself for far worse people in GSF and Eve". It was a genuine attempt at an intervention from a place of "poor, dumb kid" and whatever Blawrf said seems to have put the kid on a better track (and before copies of his videos became wider meme material he'd have to live with his whole life).

Good grief he was phenomenally annoying, though. I'm glad he seems to have changed after leaving Eve behind. It seems to be a theme.

I'm starting to think Eve is a mental illness incubator.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm starting to think Eve is a mental illness incubator.

You made it through the Kugu era, and you're just now coming to this conclusion?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I prefer penmanships, one I highly recommend you check out some time

You're not a funny person- and that's fine not everyone is- but please stop posting in this thread trying to be. Stick to what you know and keep posting your "like can you DEFINE harassment for me?" shite instead of misinterpreting people telling you to gently caress off as "haha this is banter, we're friends"

gently caress off

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

You made it through the Kugu era, and you're just now coming to this conclusion?

I was mentally ill at the time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

You're not a funny person- and that's fine not everyone is- but please stop posting in this thread trying to be. Stick to what you know and keep posting your "like can you DEFINE harassment for me?" shite instead of misinterpreting people telling you to gently caress off as "haha this is banter, we're friends"

gently caress off

Bill is just a "Throw the spaghetti at the wall" poster. Every 1 in 20 posts he makes accidentally trips into something funny and he gets like 50 upvotes on reddit.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

I was mentally ill at the time.

It was a strange time of using abhorrent shock humor as some kind of tool to 'fit-in'.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

Bill is just a "Throw the spaghetti at the wall" poster. Every 1 in 20 posts he makes accidentally trips into something funny and he gets like 50 upvotes on reddit.

I guess quantity is a quality all in its own?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NtotheTC posted:

gently caress off

You can just put the future type-2 diabetes victim on ignore.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Alex tried to doxx me back in 2010 or so but the only thing he could turn up was that I'd been a pizza delivery guy like a decade before? And then hurled that at me like it was going to utterly devastate me or something?

That's around the time Alex or Vio told me they looked up my Facebook page during some War Room argument about taking an MMO too seriously. Very healthy environment

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

TheWeedNumber posted:

Join GOOSEFLEET TODAY!

Join https://www.groon.town/blog instead

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

nah i want that wormhole money, that wormhole content, and those surprise motherfucker nullsec kills

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whos this :raise:

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

learnincurve posted:

Yeh so having has friends in multiple alliances and corps going as far back as Mo0, BoB, MC, -LV- I’m 100% sure that particular behaviour is limited to goons. Like holy poo poo, ok pirates did cruel stuff when ransoming ships in character and people would get spie on team speak/corps/forums, but the point was to sit there quietly and take notes. All this gathering evidence for blackmail in game and real life just isn’t normal.

It’s easy to rationalize almost any behavior (I’m speaking more along the lines of interacting with other alliances vs stunting on a kid) when you’re the underdog and you have all these other organizations telling you that they’re going to control your gameplay, and then having gameplay mechanics stacked against you.

From jump, goons were seriously disadvantaged, and when you’re disadvantaged just act like a sociopath. It worked, we won, bob and kenzoku were annihilated.

Also hi fnln you were shooting goons on the s-u undock the day I started playing and PMed me and told me not to talk in local or I’d get a fine I always remember that about you even if I do sometimes confuse you with dungar.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Yeh so having has friends in multiple alliances and corps going as far back as Mo0, BoB, MC, -LV- I’m 100% sure that particular behaviour is limited to goons. Like holy poo poo, ok pirates did cruel stuff when ransoming ships in character and people would get spie on team speak/corps/forums, but the point was to sit there quietly and take notes. All this gathering evidence for blackmail in game and real life just isn’t normal.

Let me be the first to tell you- it wasn't 100% limited to anyone.

Just because you didn't know it was happening, doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have done that and just banned/blocked the kid.

If I recall he kept trying with new identities. It's like how people get permabanned here but still keep popping up under a new account.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

aioli is just mayo posted:

even if I do sometimes confuse you with dungar.

hahaha savage

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

feedmegin posted:

If I recall he kept trying with new identities. It's like how people get permabanned here but still keep popping up under a new account.

He for sure paid for a ton for accounts. Or his grandma I guess

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Maybe he should stick to reddit then. There are no upvotes to be found here.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Xolve posted:

Whatever happened to Kugu?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raged posted:

dissolved in a fit of aggravated bitcoin espousal

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

Famous Groon Spai Ackbarre and yourself?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Raged posted:

Last I heard (and this was while the site was still running) Kugu wanted to take the site in a direction where it wasn't just about EVE Online and none of the site admins had the skills to do that nor did Kugu himself. That's kinda when I realized the site was gonna be dying but I don't know what eventually killed it because I resigned from working for the site before then.

Kugu himself seems to be doing fine. He's still running businesses and I think he had a TV show about him for a season or two in some European country. I haven't talked to him for chit-chat in years though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

That's around the time Alex or Vio told me they looked up my Facebook page during some War Room argument about taking an MMO too seriously. Very healthy environment

They looked up my OK Cupid account because they thought I was a spy but surprise dumbasses I didn't list anything about EVE Online or my spy activities in it on my dating profile.

I think they were just trying to intimidate me with "it's easy to find out who you are" type nonsense but by that point I'd already been paid by Kugu in the form of a 30" monitor that he sent me despite me never giving him my name or mailing address.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 22, 2022

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rhymenoserous posted:

If we reduced BBTG to a joke, he'd be "I'm not touching you" type of humour

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006

Dalael posted:

If we reduced BBTG to a joke, he'd be "I'm not touching you" type of humour

Well we could hope he's not touching us.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

TTBF posted:

Last I heard (and this was while the site was still running) Kugu wanted to take the site in a direction where it wasn't just about EVE Online and none of the site admins had the skills to do that nor did Kugu himself.

Hm that sounds oddly familiar.

quote:

They looked up my OK Cupid account because they thought I was a spy but surprise dumbasses I didn't list anything about EVE Online or my spy activities in it on my dating profile.

I think they were just trying to intimidate me with "it's easy to find out who you are" type nonsense but by that point I'd already been paid by Kugu in the form of a 30" monitor that he sent me despite me never giving him my name or mailing address.

This is the most eve online post I've read in a while.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2022

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

TTBF posted:

lmao for what

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Maybe he should stick to reddit then. There are no upvotes to be found here.

you're supposed to click the report button to report the good posts

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Famous Groon Spai Ackbarre and yourself?

im alroight

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

aioli is just mayo posted:

From jump, goons were seriously disadvantaged, and when you’re disadvantaged just act like a sociopath.

We didn't act like sociopaths in Echoes, to the point that part of the reason Gooseflock got founded was because people didn't like how the original Echoes Goonswarm CEO did things. True though, we might have avoided it due to past experience teaching the founders how high-pressure MMO guilds suck insane amounts of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

I also love their second product rotten herring

that's sweden, iceland is fermented Greenland shark (fermented b/c they have to give it time for the urea in it to evaporate or whatever)