Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Back
DDDDD
Break it/burn it
Break it/burn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah gently caress it idk it's probably going to make somebody have to change their vote if order matters or doesn't matter.

Really, just whatever gets us off Skull Island, I vote that.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah just everyone who wants to vote vote your poo poo and we'll gtfo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm sorry I pushed us to come here. I was expecting Tropic Thunder or Welcome to the Jungle not Apocalypse Now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol, look everything worked out fine, it's perfect. I'll give it like one more day or something in case there's scragglers and then we'll lock it in and gtfo

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
up the rope
no cursed rear end cave loot for us
FGII

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright, according to my bullshit calculations, Zlata is gonna stay down here for 5 and do DGIBF. Also that she's going to destroy the core and take the back way out.

Maybe this was not optimal for everyone but it was a super obvious lead to get magic stuff from here, and then in second place was focusing on not looting but other stuff. Basically nobody really got wat they wanted lol. Or maybe most people got like 1 thing they were hoping for but not everything. Was sorta hoping you'd try to steal some actual furniture tbh, but it only got one vote. But who's gonna lug an armoire through the jungle, really?

--

Retinue posted:

Toby would be able to identify what of this stuff can sell, maybe even on black markets. You can do this too of course -- and would have a better idea of what'd be valuable to keep, what would be socially acceptable for someone of rank to have -- but in this hideous pit the best role for him is watching your back.

Cash isn't what you're after anyway, you're flush from selling off the paladin loot. Feels like it all happened years ago now, :v: but you got your stacks of gold. What you really want is what can't always be bought: magic and information.

Noble Scion & Well Read posted:

Like you, Sevan is extremely obviously literate, and can certainly recognize books and papers like anyone, but from your conversations with her she's able to identify different hands and could distinguish how old or new a book might be. If Purnam stupidly kept a log of her many evil deeds, then Sevan's going to have a good chance of finding it. Even if it's in some foreign language, she could probably tell just based on the apparent age of the book or manuscript. You doubt there's going to be an illuminated scroll entitled "My Crimes, Which I Totally Did & Have No Regrets About & Would Do Again if Given a Chance, by Purnam, Matron of Soligi" -- but, there could be some kind of experimental record? If that's the situation. Do evil wizards and witches keep tomes like that? Maybe? They're known tome-havers, right?

Besides, all the villagers are impoverished illiterates living like animals. They aren't going to know the difference if any literature were to inexplicably disappear.

Magic Charms & Diamond Bolt School & Poetics posted:

Then all this magic-seeming stuff. Yeah, you want it, who wouldn't? You might never get a chance to get things like this again. Yes, you flunked out of magic school. Yes, Auntie Ell was livid. But like a lot of things, "you know it when you see it." It's real stuff, at least partly. Too dangerous to let any moronic buffoon get it, you should deal with it.

There's a question of what it actually is or might do though. From your interactions with Kam Indah you are pretty sure that whatever moral system these high-powered, highly-weird, probably-high people are operating on, it isn't the same thing as it is at home. It's maybe less about temples and shrines and right and wrong, and certainly less about Historic Deeds of Valor and that kind of thing. It is, but it's a different conception. It's a different system, more in common with the almost amoral fighting schools and less concerned with the kinds of "right" anyone back home thinks is important. Many of these things are going to be "differently-righteous" than what would normally be accepted, but probably not genuinely profane or evil.

Yeah that all makes sense. You can tell yourself that. However only an absolute actual moron would ever fail to see that gross dead core nucleus thing is evil. The only solution to this pollution is incineration. Purnam died not far from her pile of... whatever, so you kick her skin onto it. Nothing else is close enough to matter. You're not in danger of burning down the cave over this.

You ask Toby and Sevan to help you move things along.
*cough* "Toby, are we alone down here? Better check. Sevan, if you could do me a favor? I'm sure Purnam had books, if you don't mind try would you try to collect them up, especially anything that looks like she wrote it herself?"
"Yeah, good idea." "It'd be my pleasure."

You have had, for some time now, six metallic nails -- all inscribed with various runes. The iron one has so far been the most useful, but each one can ward against various evils, and each one was made under the light of one of the planets at the time of year it shone the brightest. It's trivial to just push them into the thing with your bare hands and it'd be best to hedge your bets on this and use them all. You start with the gold one and proceed counterclockwise. Copper. Iron. Then the other way around. Tin. Lead. Silver. Begin and end with the nobles. Thinking that you better really seal the deal, you dump your tiny vial of quicksilver in the middle. It's going to get burned off, but it's more important to be safe than sorry.

The seven metals, the seven planets. As far as you are aware, this is the whole shebang. You dump all your remaining lamp oil over it, whatever isn't being currently used. Then light it up, and quickly step back. It goes up quick and burns clean. There's nothing left at all except the nails -- which aren't even tarnished and hardly have soot. You pack 'em away and move on.

--

While the others are busy it seems like the best time to check over ~the remains~. There's hardly anything except her cut up skin which... She's got tattoos. They look bad. Really bad. Not in the sense of being poorly done or stupidly chosen, but something's wrong with them.

Kam Indah posted:

E: Persuasiveness. Two small tattoos, and a tiny one. A beautiful bird on your throat and a vixen with multiple tails, on your tail. Two symbols on your abdomen.
This tattoo will make people like you and want to help you, and attract lovers. The strength of your breath will also increase dramatically.
Spitting in a latrine or on any filthy thing will pollute the magic. Making a promise and breaking it will destroy the power of the tattoo, as will committing any transgression of a sexual nature, or insulting others.

She has these, something very like these, and they've gone rancid, literally. You couldn't quite make them out correctly in the darkness, not before, but the tattoo has rotted, like what the old sage said. Good Lord this could have been you! What did she do? Looking at that pile of fabrics she was lounging on, they're not silks but skins. Of people. A mix of human and dragonfolk. On this island that means her own people. Flensed down thin.

You:
:sbahj: :
Throw the skin on the pile in disgust. Any royal inquisitors will be able to see it and being locals they're certain to understand what happened here and finish dealing with any problems.

:evilbuddy: : Are quick and cool. While the others are distracted you quickly and carefully pack the skin up. No one will see. This skin of hers is magically potent. Useful, "differently-righteous," contraband.

--

Well, if you take the skin or don't there's still other items of interest, great interest. We'll get to those probably tonight or tomorrow, as well as what other loot you get, some other things, and getting to the boat and getting out. Plus I don't have a decent comp to AI gen images that aren't hot garbage, I'd pretty much have to let them slow-cook overnight if I installed anything like that on this piece. Trying to find pics via search is a pain in the rear end these days too, I keep getting similar but not really what I asked for results, or just garbage that doesn't work at all.

For now just vote on taking the skin or leaving it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Magpie instinct says take the skin, but magpies are sometimes very stupid.

Leave it.

Your writing is really good and you don't need pics unless you want them.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Bad juju.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

We're maybe evil, but not "skin your friends" evil.

:drat:

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

:sbahj: Yeah, we're into organized crime, not blood sorcery.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

Your writing is really good and you don't need pics unless you want them.

Honestly it's more an excuse to deal with my extremely weird time scheduling situation. Not having pics sucks rear end tho.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZfGa5t4e8&hd=1
    You find a number of fascinating items:
  • A gold birdcage that doesn't hold a bird. Inside is a pixie -- a depressed one that isn't talkative at all & waves off anyone who tries to get it to talk. Supposedly they can be chatty? It's the first time you've seen one, you can't be sure.
  • A wooden box of some mysterious tropical wood, with bronze clasps. Inside are a pair of gauntlet-shaped... clouds? You quickly close the box before they drift away. The box itself seems magic to you, not just the gauntlets.
  • Two amulets (in the everyday meaning of the term -- like necklaces). One is circular and has obscure iconography involving an eye and a triangle. Surrounding it are some glyphs and 13 odd figures. This is in the same bronze as the clasps which hold the box closed.
  • The other amulet is oblong, slightly thinner, and gleams oddly. Also that same bronze, but the colors shift and you can only assume it must've been treated in some arcane way. It looks only partly finished at best.
  • An extremely dangerous fulgurite. You're able to avoid getting any body parts blown or melted off by using the cloud gauntlets to handle it. Better not let anyone touch this thing. It looks like it'd be brittle but is actually very robust.
    You also come across:
  • A set of old books in an unknown language. Neither you nor Sevan know what they might say, or even know what the material they're made of could be. Some sort of leaf? They're oddly bound as well, like folded scrolls almost. They're clearly a set made by the same person long ago.
  • Newer, more usual style books. Still old, but not as old, they cover a wide variety of topics, copied by multiple people. Glancing through they contain some information you know to be factually wrong, but also some which is absolutely correct, and some things that may bear investigation.
  • No admission of crimes, letters, or mage tomes of any kind. Nothing of any recent provenance. Disappointing, but there's a nice set of pens and ink, and a set of metal styli. The ink smells good, vaguely aromatic. There's nothing to write on though. Whatever, you might as well take the writing materials that are here.

There are some interruptions. The sound of Toby killing something echoes through the caves twice. A creature even approaches you and Sevan while you search for stuff -- like the "old hound" this thing is gross as hell. It's small, a bit listless, and when it rears up to attack you're able to swiftly dispatch it. Toby reports back the same thing: the creatures he saw looked like they were already dying.

No one wants to spend the rest of their life down here, so you make the call: time to go. There are a lot of other interesting things, but no reasonable way to get them out. As Sevan & Toby help each other cross through the partly flooded back exit (being very careful to avoid letting anything important get wet), you can't help but look back and consider what an insane waste this all was. No wonder the pixie seems so morose. At least the villagers should be able to deal with the rest of this mess and maybe even put what you leave behind to good use.

Going right, like Sevan said, leads you to the hidden exit. You follow the light.

It also seems she was right about this place connecting back to some old road that heads east. Forget it. You're through and out, and nothing interrupts your roundabout trip to the shore. The boat out is there, and it seems the commoners and all the stuff you left with them is aboard. Stampy is wading nearby, not particularly inclined to be loaded up just yet.

You're quickly aboard yourselves and everything seems pretty alright. The villagers are milling about confusedly but they should be ok, better to have no matron than an evil one. The captain greets you all politely and quickly orders a return back to the capital.

This seeming alrightness is very rapidly dispelled. Mary, Felix, and Lemon are already aboard. Lemon is even being human now, which she's normally loath to bother with. And they've got everything you've brought with you from Xoma.

And they look concerned.

--

As you escape this craphole island they explain that since your last meeting several things have changed. Mary's got a hefty stack of letters addressed to you. They're unopened. Felix is... more literate than most. Not saying much, but he knows not to open your mail even if he were a professional scholar. You page through them while Felix elaborates.

Letter from Auntie Ell wanting to know how things are going.
"The letters started I think maybe one or two days after you left."
Letter from your aunt wanting to know how close you are to completing that job.
"For a long while it was pretty normal--"
Several more letters from Eluned getting increasingly frustrated about the lack of communication.
"--then the other letters came in."

Diot Vail posted:

Ms. Zlata --
Mission proceeds without problems. Mr. Corno is very enthusiastic and always impressed. Says he's going to add us to his book.
Via Scrivener's guild, Passwall

Gerd posted:

Miss Z,

Things are proceeding well at your estate, although I should inform you the peasants have developed an uncanny habit of leaving cuts of raw meat or the blood of animals in the wood on certain nights. It's unseemly and I've instructed them to stop immediately. Without your retainers' presence I worry they might continue this more secretively.

Your faithful steward,
Gerd
Another pissy letter from Aunt Ell, nothing unusual.

Diot Vail posted:

Ms. Zlata --
Mission accomplished! Took a while. Mr. Corno has added you to his final will & testament & left you a lot. He's honorably buried. We will stay at his estate and keep an eye on things until you arrive so it can be disposed.
Via Scriveners', Bartertown
"It seemed normal until these ones arrived."

Diot Vail, marked urgent posted:

Z --
Catastrophe. All the horses dead. We had to walk to Fendval. Bartertown is destroyed. Will go to Frigg & ask Selene for help.
Via Guild of Scriveners', Fendval

Count Anka, Lord of Kegslamnr, Three Rock, Tendog, Asswhashen, Fendval, Southwood, Dulcimer, & Passwall posted:

Miss Zlata --

It appears there has been a slight misapprehension regarding the presence of your people in my lands. Be assured that this has been readily solved and I consider it a pleasure to host such a rambunctious bunch until such time you are able to arrive and collect them. What follows is a verbatim message from your lieutenant regarding the matter.

By my hand, it is so ordered. Anka.

Diot Vail posted:

Some kinda thing came out of the swamp near Bartertown and wrecked the whole place, and we tried to fight it but it ate all the horses but not my caribou. It uh gave us a letter and let us go? I don't understand except it was snuffing around Mr. Corno's grave when we went out to fight it. After it kicked our asses we left and then got busted by Anka's thugs near that lake and couldn't fight them off without the horses. We didn't have enough money to pay the "transit tax" and -- look I showed the letter and said how we were with you and everything and the "guards" didn't care. When Anka found out he cared A LOT and he sent some kinda boss to find out and I'm pretty sure that guard captain is really hosed up or dead. They took us to Kegslamnr and have been giving us decent food and say you'll be here when you get here? They haven't taken anything of ours and gave us all our stuff back the guards took when we got arrested and don't treat us bad. I don't think they're going to let us leave until you come here to talk to them. We're sorry.

"Yeah Felix these ones aren't normal or good news at all. Is there anything else?"
"Not letters, no."

Lemon pipes up. "It gets worse."

--

Skin voting is still open. If you wanna vote about it. It'll stay open until the next vote is complete.
I'll get this last part up later and then the rest of the vote will open.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:ohdear:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
See? You turn your back for three loving minutes and everything turns to poo poo.

Tell the pixie we're going to let them go as soon as we can confirm they're not a monster in disguise or otherwise pose a risk to us. Ask if theres anything we can do/give them. No need to answer if they don't want to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

See? You turn your back for three loving minutes and everything turns to poo poo.

Tell the pixie we're going to let them go as soon as we can confirm they're not a monster in disguise or otherwise pose a risk to us. Ask if theres anything we can do/give them. No need to answer if they don't want to.

Yeah, confirm that the pixie isn't a threat or something and let it go, no need to let it suffer (and the resale value of a clinically depressed pixie is probably pretty low)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Or, if the pixie isn't sure what to do with themself, are they looking for gainful employment, non-judgemental company or people to hurt? Coz we can offer all of the above.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Side vote to add in with the skin vote:

When you talk to it the pixie grumbles noncommittally, ignores you and turns away, waves you off, or some mix of these. It does this for anyone who tries to talk to it, regardless of what they say or try to offer it. It also looks to be physically healthy and in good shape.

According to Felix & Lemon it seems like an otherwise normal pixie & not any kind of mysterious threat or disguised evil.

Do you let the pixie loose? y/n

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Side vote to add in with the skin vote:

When you talk to it the pixie grumbles noncommittally, ignores you and turns away, waves you off, or some mix of these. It does this for anyone who tries to talk to it, regardless of what they say or try to offer it. It also looks to be physically healthy and in good shape.

According to Felix & Lemon it seems like an otherwise normal pixie & not any kind of mysterious threat or disguised evil.

Do you let the pixie loose? y/n

YOLO

Looking forward to our imminent demise, fisherman and the djinn style

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 7, 2023

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We open the Pixie's cage, it can choose its own fate.

We spent WAY too long on this damned island. Let's get some letters written and go sort out the next fustercluck.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

YOLO

Looking forward to our imminent demise, fisherman and the djinn style

:same:

Tell the pixie they can leave whenever they want, and we'll give them whatever they need in the meantime (within reason), then unlock/open the cage and let them make their own choices.

Grumpy non-communicative pixie best pixie.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Respond in kind:

Just slain a swamp demon while under a spiritual trance - taking a boat to your general locale. I'll be bringing exotic gifts from afar~!

> The Pixie can stew and fume if she wants but ask her how she's doing every night at least once for a full week before we decide to release her.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7LU8-VPhc&t=3040s

Noble Scion posted:

Wait a minute, what is this? All these towns are pretty big area for a mere count. And you've been through this area!

(I've noticed some people don't get discord-hosted img, lemme know if this map doesn't show up, but yeah Zlata's been here, a big part of the thread was the titular finding & killing)

There's a major city right in the middle of these towns that is conspicuously missing from Anka's domain. Which was nowhere near the size that he's claiming now. What the hell is going on over near Frigg? Anka didn't bother to write this himself, looks like he's got people to do that for him. The signature and seal do look authentic.

Replacing the horses is going to be costly.

Horsewoman & Retinue posted:

You can't expect Vail to have decided to flee for no reason. Good horses, the kind your people need, are expensive and big and not just something that "gets eaten," either. Not by just one creature. A pack of wolves or something could eat one. Some kinda big monster like maybe a lion could eat one. The way Vail describes it as "eating all the horses" makes it sound huge, like one horse wasn't enough. And she wouldn't just let the horses get rustled by bandits and make up an easily disproved lie.

It's believable that your people would be lounging around Cannius' estate, eating all his food and drinking all his drink, and one day some thing emerges and starts sniffing around a noble grave. Especially because it's a noble they made sure got buried properly, they get pissed and go out to fight it. It whips their asses. That part makes sense.

Light & Medium Armors posted:

Knowing if they went out with the horses barded or not would have been useful. Most creatures aren't going to want to eat any kind of metal, and while you don't have cataphracts exactly, even mediumweight armor isn't going to be palatable to anything you can think of at the moment. Maybe rats or vermin would gnaw lightweight armors, or there's some exotic monster that eats metal, but that's not what's described here. Did it knock them to the ground and just eat the whole horse, armor and all? They'd be lucky to avoid getting crushed. Maybe it killed the horses and visibly started eating them when your crew realized they were beat and hoofed it themselves.

Poetics & Well Read posted:

But it didn't eat any of the people. It gave them a letter -- whatever the hell that means. Monsters don't "give letters." Only the most magical of creatures (like pixies) can even talk. What, there's been an ancient beast sleeping under some swamp like it's no big deal and they built a city over it? Better ask Mary about this later, she may have heard something through the monster hunters' guild. She's probably not highly ranked enough to have learned anything really esoteric like this is shaping up to be. The city is destroyed? Maybe it was some beastmaster barbarian invasion?

Well these letters are yoking you pretty well to something you might not want to get too involved with. "Worse. 'It gets worse,' you said?"
Lemon and Mary reveal that they were sitting near the top of the mountain, like they had grown accustomed to, eating lunch. From there, you can see a good part of the kingdom, and it's obvious that their king had formed a military expedition. A set of ships, five or so large ones.
"So?"
"Well, they were headed towards Xoma." Mary remains concerned.
"So?"
"The Holy City? City of Saints?"
"Maybe not a great idea, but--"
Lemon interrupts "They're already all dead."

The sound of seabirds and waves. Soligi is receding towards the distance.

"Dead."
"Even if no one else believes, I know what I saw. They were all sunk."
The people you left back in the main part of the kingdom haven't only been enjoying scenic lunches. They've also been gathering information.
  • The kingdom of the Spice Islands isn't just the islands themselves. A large portion is sunken and populated by fishfolk. They've got towns and even cities under the sea.
  • The Sorcerer King rules from his Sunken Throne and has various dukes and nobles who go around administrating on his behalf.
    • They're shaved bald and wear a kind of choker that signifies rank and also lets them breathe underwater. They're all powerful mages, "or so they say," of course.
    • Itinerant, they don't have major holdings themselves. Always going around, checking up on the state of things. Executing justice and hearing trials and all that.
    • The actual "lands" of the kingdom are huge, there's no reasonable way to add more and keep it administered. This island out here is already barely controlled.
  • Trying to attack or conquer Xoma would be insane and probably impossible, just fruitless. The Spice Islands are already vast. Zbub is closer anyway.
  • A small fleet like that couldn't really dent Xoma. Nobody here's a naval tactician but... c'mon. Xoma could ignore a blockade without a siege to make it important.
  • Whatever they were sending towards Xoma was important enough to need to send a bunch of big expensive boats to protect it. It took them a while to get everything prepped.
This then wraps back around to what Mary & Lemon saw:
The ships left port and headed towards Xoma. When they got to the horizon everything was fine. That night there were flashes of light and distant thunder, and the next morning some thin, dissipating clouds.

Felix and Mary both agree this was probably some freak storm. Even if it wasn't, it probably wouldn't concern you. It's Lemon who's taking things seriously. With those letters, whatever they say, and now this? Things are going seriously enough she convinced the others to come out here and meet you, bring all your stuff and make sure you're ready to take whatever actions you're going to take.
"They were probably just shooting their cannons at pirates."
"A weird storm? Near the Spice Islands, known for their magical weirdness?"
You know them. They're not entirely sure they believe it's not a major problem.

Lemon stands her ground. "Zlata, those weren't just lightning bolts. Lightning bolts aren't red and orange like that. Something's happening. I can feel it."

Maybe she can, maybe she can't. None of your people know if this would have happened within the area controlled by the Sorcerer King or out on the open sea. And they aren't stupid enough to have this discussion out in the open on deck, but in your cabin where you can be pretty sure nobody else has heard. The crew and the castaways are pretty busy themselves.

--

Regardless of how credulous you are about all this, there are problems you need to resolve. It's going to take a little bit of time to get back to the capitol -- with Vail and the others under house arrest, and your job with Esmail, it'd be foolish to sweep around and dump the castaways off anywhere else, even if you'd prefer to get wash your hands of them as soon as possible. Going to investigate their camp can be left up to the locals. You're done here.

Sevan has moved her stuff into a cabin and seems to be pretty normal. Much better, although she clearly still hates the other castaways. Orn & Taiwo are doing their best to stay out of trouble and contribute to crewing the ship. Your own people are taking care of your stuff, Stampy, the horses, etc.

Some reminders:

Kam Indah posted:

"As for you, whatever your decision, I will ask that you return to your teacher and tell her everything that has happened here. It will take 14 hours to recite the secret knowledge Esmail desires. Can you memorize this, although it is a language you do not know?"
"I can't do that. It's too much."
"Then you may write according to my instructions, but you cannot allow the text to fall into any other hands besides Esmail's."

You're supposed to hand off the secret scroll to Esmail and nobody else. Then track down and kill Siemowit who is one of these itinerant nobles of the kingdom, who at this point may or may not be in Zbub. Ideally you can somehow roll this into retrieving your pack of idiots at the same time, or just chain them together on your way home.

First is getting the scroll to Esmail & dumping these castaways off. If the survivors make it to the capitol there's a chance Sevan or one of the others is going to bring this up with the courts to demand justice. Which might mean testimony. Which might mean delaying your exit from this kingdom. You won't have enough time to do all of these, maybe three if you're lucky, so you need to prioritize.

What do you want to do first?:
A:
Write up a testimony regarding the castaways. You should be able to pass this off instead of having to testify in person, if it comes down to it. Be up front about killing Purnam but leave out the parts where you looted.
B: Spend some time talking with the two commoner castaways. Get a feel for how they plan to testify about what happened if a trial were to start. Maybe some gentle extortion for saving their lives?
C: You want to spend some time with Sevan. She still might find a way to execute her own justice. It might be good to get on the same page if there's a trial about what happened. And she has some interesting things to talk about.
D: Spend time consulting the captain about these events your people saw and what their ominous meaning could be, and the general state of things. He'd know more, wouldn't he?
E: Write some letters allaying your aunt's concerns and letting Anka know you'll be there as soon as possible. Also let Gerd know that you'll be coming home to deal with things, that should chill whatever pagan fervor is heating up.
F: f u Indah. Copy his secret knowledge scroll. Genuinely possible this could really gently caress you up if you aren't ready for it, but it's not like you're closely studying it, just duplicating it.

Some yes/no votes that need resolved and won't take any time
Did you take Purnam's magic skin? y/n
Are you letting the pixie out right now? y/n

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
PS you don't have to read the whole goddamn epic to vote don't think i missed the goons who voted like 1 time and then disappeared mysteriously

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

E

What do we know about pixies in general?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
ACE
No
Yes

PS you don't have to read the whole goddamn epic to vote don't think i missed the goons who voted like 1 time and then disappeared mysteriously

'Dissapeared mysteriously' working hard on the undertones

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

HBar posted:

What do we know about pixies in general?

Not very much. They're magical tiny creatures and sometimes hang out in magical places or ruins, and can do things like turn invisible, or glow, or sometimes change size or shape. Sometimes they can trick people into doing something fatal, or give them good luck or help. They're kind of like humans or elves or dwarves but aren't really like people.

on this i'm doing it diog style like enkidel's kingship votes: we're just gonna vote out one thing at a time. Enkidel can do them all, but with this if Zlata runs outta time she's outta time, so I'm gonna assume you're voting A immediately

Outrail posted:

'Dissapeared mysteriously' working hard on the undertones

hardly, it's a common turn of phrase. comes up all the time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh, C first. I want to recruit Sevan the murder lizard to our group.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
E we've been incommunicado a stupid amount of time.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
Yes
Yes

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Seems like bad luck to keep a pixie caged up. Yes, open the cage door and see if it at least has the motivation to get out on its own.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

C
No to taking the skin
Yes to freeing the pixy (but maybe make talk to our retinue for make sure it's ok and isn't going to bite us in the rear end??)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A, dont take skin, free pixie

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Writing letters,
E, then A

skin: get
pixie: freed
Bonus:
Ask pixie to purify skin before she goes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lmao drat I rolled my 3 sided die and it came up C, then got like 1/3 the way thru before being forced to pause by the curse of bullshit (which is also blocking Dracula)

I should have been clear if I forgot: it is gonna be individually which option you wanna do first 2nd etc, no you can't get enough time to do them all, and no this isn't timey-wimey do em then integrate into the end result -- the order you do them in changes the situation.

The yes/ no votes are not going to influence timing, those are the ones that are more timey-wimey and are individually handled without changing anything else atm.

Talking to Sevan first is gonna be different than writing multiple letters and a legal document and then maybe getting around to talking to her before disembark. It's not gonna be a major thing to switch gears, voting remains open until the last second, & don't change nothing if you don't wanna.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
well I prob won't have time to do the full update today, but I can at least do the y/n's.

The skin vote was not unanimous, but leaving that thing in the lair clearly won. Besides, if you got caught with someone's skin you'd be in serious trouble, unless you could somehow play it off as traditional dragonfolk burial practices or something. For sure not guaranteed. Wtf am I posting, 'for sure not for sure?' A good chance of getting caught out as some necromancer of evil. It was gross anyway.

If inquisitors go down there they are assured to see it and will almost certainly write the whole thing off as some serious magic malfunction. You hope.

--

Now your other concern is unanimous: the pixie must be released this very second.

Volmarias posted:

Yes to freeing the pixy (but maybe make talk to our retinue for make sure it's ok and isn't going to bite us in the rear end??)

That's the best you're gonna get and that's what you're gonna do.

When you get to your cabin you get this cage placed somewhere decent. There's a little desk built into the wall (so it won't flip over in a storm), and it's the perfect spot. As you're getting everything explained to you, you take a moment to tell it that it's free to go, you're not going to keep it trapped, and it just doesn't seem right to even try.

You don't get the usual response, instead you get a "Huh." It doesn't even smile or anything and just waits where it is.

Seems better than nothing, so you open the birdcage door.

There's a brief flash of light, and inside the cage is no pixie. Instead there are a tiny pile of dried out pixie bones and a wings. You poke 'em with one of Purnam's styluses. Yeah, looks to be a full skeleton.
"Do I even wanna know where you got that, Z?" Mary's pretty weirded out.
Felix is confused, baffled.
Lemon frowns, not saying anything.
"It was down a hole, don't worry about it too much." Toby also is kinda disturbed.

You shut the door and the bones flash.
The pixie looks around. "Yeah..." it shrugs and goes back to moping.
"I tried?"
It nods and flits up to a perch, where it closes its eyes and waits.
"Uncharted waters I guess."
After a moment Lemon continues claiming the ships are definitely toast and this is serious.

--

Unless you can think of anything to do for the pixie you just hang its cage up in your cabin for now. Write in some idea if you want.
Otherwise the vote is still open, and you're prepping to get your letters belted out and sent.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Unless you can think of anything to do for the pixie you just hang its cage up in your cabin for now. Write in some idea if you want.
Otherwise the vote is still open, and you're prepping to get your letters belted out and sent.

Bend the bars enough for it to try and slip through without the door opening.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Welp. Put down some fresh newspaper in the cage and let it know we'll try and do what we can for it. Put it up on the deck if it wants so it can get some sunlight and a view at least.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"Any.... amenities you'd want in the cage dear?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

... can we just break the cage so that they are dead forever?

Does the pixie know why this happened and how to break it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Tweezing the bars with your fingers, yeah it seems like you should be able to just smash the thing open if you wanted, or bend the bars. You aren't sure what would happen, if you squeeze them too hard there's uncanny ripples of light that travel across the outside of the thing. Also if you wanted to try and kill the pixie... you maybe could just leave the door open? Take the bones out or something?

You really don't know what any of this would do, but it seems maybe impractical to do it right now.

--

I'm gonna go ahead and pat myself on the back for the scene we had set up if you had talked to Sevan first, but frankly? She'll be fine. You have got to get these letters dealt with.

First, the ones you've received from your precious aunt, who's given you everything, and is clearly tremendously, overwhelmingly worried about you. You carefully burn them without catching the ship on fire.

Criminal Connections posted:

There's no sense in anyone accidentally getting a peek at private correspondence like that. What are you trying to set yourself up for failure? She didn't mention anything suspicious, but... c'mon.

Wasting any of Purnam's exotic writing ink or using her pens doesn't seem like it'd matter much, but you've got your own that you're used to, so you dump the ashes out the porthole and with the gentle rolling of the ocean you quickly scribe out an appropriately vague account of what happened.

Noble Scion posted:

Coming all the way out here just to get Toby patched up might seem a bit indulgent, but really it's paid for itself with the huge amount of gold you got for selling the dead paladin's stuff and other trade goods. Plus you've obtained various other useful items you couldn't get back home.

Yep this trip was completely worth it and not a nightmare slog through a hideous forest of horrors. After these minor inconveniences everything is fine and completely on-track.

Next, Anka. Kind of a prick, and greedy. You consider how you might want to portray yourself.

Lux Anima posted:

Respond in kind:

Just slain a swamp demon while under a spiritual trance - taking a boat to your general locale. I'll be bringing exotic gifts from afar~!

Good in concept, but maybe you're going to want to avoid being too familiar or overflattering. And avoid ramping his expectations too high -- could be a mistake. You do apologize on behalf of your, hm, recalcitrant vassals. This pigheadedness was valuable in the northern campaigns and remains much less so in court. They're surely a handful and you'll be arriving with all speed to take them off his hands. In fact you're abord ship, on your way right now, having done some trade and having been unfortunately forced to personally deal with various jungle monsters in the process. Yes, after collecting your retinue you're inclined to return north, unless some pressing concern or opportunity interrupts you.

Retinue & your many skills related to combat posted:

Yeah! Vail and the others are real poo poo-kickers, and you're a total badass and rich. Not someone to toy with, but not a threat. Unless he decides to make you a threat, this is actually a positive thing for him.

Alright, Ell & Anka done, you pen off a quick letter to Gerd -- you'll be back, Vail is on her way back as well, tell the peasants to knock off anything too unusual or you'll be forced to deal with it. You don't plan on executing anybody at the moment, and honestly really can't legally do it unless you catch them in the act, but everyone knows you can make things pretty unpleasant. If it's making you look bad or you have some ridiculous cult forming you probably will have to.

All signed and carefully sealed, you hand them off to the ship's steward. This thing is big enough to have it's own aviary for mailbirds and the letters are off. You ask if it's known how much time it will take to return to the capital.
"As long as the weather holds I'd consider it a matter of hours, miss."

--

You find yourself getting pretty tired,

Swordswoman posted:

Yeah you're such a drat badass you forgot about your sword! Here it is in your cabin, all stained up by vile ichor! It's probably evilly corrupted or something!

"Euuuuugh... drat it."

What do you do next?
A:
Write up a testimony regarding the castaways. You should be able to pass this off instead of having to testify in person, if it comes down to it. Be up front about killing Purnam but leave out the parts where you looted.
B: Spend some time talking with the two commoner castaways. Get a feel for how they plan to testify about what happened if a trial were to start. Maybe some gentle extortion for saving their lives?
C: You want to spend some time with Sevan. She still might find a way to execute her own justice. It might be good to get on the same page if there's a trial about what happened. And she has some interesting things to talk about.
D: Spend time consulting the captain about these events your people saw and what their ominous meaning could be, and the general state of things. He'd know more, wouldn't he?
E: Examine your sword to see if it's actually damaged in any way, or haunted or some intolerable bullshit.
F: f u Indah. Copy his secret knowledge scroll. Genuinely possible this could really gently caress you up if you aren't ready for it, but it's not like you're closely studying it, just duplicating it.
G: Just sleep it off. Everything'll be fine. You haven't slept in anything remotely resembling a normal bed in 6,000 years.

But wait, there's more:

"Shouldn't someone say something?" Taiwo asks.
"You two were the ones who knew him."
"..."
"..."
"Well, Shazgob gra-Luzgan. You were a prick. But a practical and good man. Rest peacefully now. Your part in this is over."
Then the pilot climbs down and puts his hands on Shazgob's face, reaches into his own cheap sack of belongings, and puts some coin in the dead merchant's hand. He climbs out, lowers in the few things Shazgob brought, and without further ado starts shoving in soil.

Yeah Shazgob gra-Luzgan is tragically dead and buried. Someone really should take custody of his remaining stuff. To give back to his family. In Bartertown, which has been destroyed.
Do you take Shazgob's stuff? y/n Doesn't seem to be openly known his hometown is annihilated.