Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles posted:

One figure stepped forward from the crowd, holding a microphone. A figure with white hair, and a strange expression.

"I'm so happy..." he said, "that someone like me could be here welcome you, from your Hope's Peak Academy. Where you embodied hope!"

"Now, come along," said Nagito Komaeda. "Your new, Ultimate lives are about to begin."

THE END.... ?!

Wait Bif solo won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Nice work Town Despairs! You know, when those Spy claims came out and you all seemed willing to take it at face value, I got real worried. But you solved it in spectacular fashion in the end!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
We need a sub Rosa Memorial post for trying to show us the way

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Wait Bif solo won?

Lol

Toalpaz posted:

Hinata still best protagonist

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Toalpaz posted:

He's getting a custom gang tag for his trouble.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I really was a survivor, you meanies

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Appendix: Notes on the Setup

This is a top-down look on the actual setup of the game, some of the design goals, and how it shook out overall.

I was originally inspired by the idea of 'multiple scumteams' (this was well before Cube's Galaxy Sane game), but the setup took some time to build, with Yami and Shell's help - and then rebuild, as both had advice after that game had concluded.

I'd also wanted to do a Danganronpa game since forever.

The Setup

16 players - 12 SDHS Despair, 2 Masterminds, 2 Survivors

Four Four-person 'Scum Teams'
Most players would think that they were on one of these, and that theirs was the only scum team - at first. In reality, each scum team had 3 Despair members and one of the two Masterminds on it. This granted several benefits and drawbacks:

• For the masterminds, they'd each have to juggle two separate chats, plus their own private chat and the thread.
• ...but, no one would suspect them at first because they were on that team.

The scum teams would have each gotten the ability to nightkill after catching the first mastermind. This would have also been a benefit and a drawback, as scum'd have to dodge the MM win condition (a single scum team controls the vote) while trying to NK or vote out the second mastermind - with the possibility they wouldn't have been able to aim their NK at the second MM, if that MM was in their team.

Scum team rosters:

Team 1 (SHSL): Cubical, TMor, Nat20, Hal [MM]
Team 2 (SDHS): Punkreas, NH, AFQM, PhantomMuzzles [MM]
Team 3 (Ultimate): Toal, Salad, Fool of Sound, PhantomMuzzles [MM]
Team 4 (Despair Shoe Store): Bif, mycelia / Sub Rosa, Keats, Hal [MM]

Two Masterminds [Hal and PM]
This role would be the main 'scum' until one of them was caught. Each would be embedded on two of the four 'scum teams', which was the primary way to catch them.

The real goal of the game was to catch both Masterminds; once the first was caught, there would have been a large announcement that there was a second one out there, and the MM team would have lost their nightkill.

Two Survivors [JosefStalinator and WindwardAway]

The survivors were told they would win if they were alive at the end, whoever else won. They served several purposes:

• To break the symmetry so people didn't catch on right away
• To give the MMs some players they didn't know anything about
• To pad the number of players to 16 (lore-compliant) and make a scum team of 4 appear to be the right size.

Lore

This game proved surprisingly on brand for the flavor of the setting:

• Players not fully trusting one another even in their scum chat
• Players pulling crazy gambits to try and break the game open (lookin' at you, Sub Rosa)
• "But who is the 16th student, then?"
• And that ending.

I think it achieved what it set out to do, even though the whole thing was pretty unstable in retrospect.

Thank you, everyone who played.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
So...this is what it's like to play in one of my games. Fair enough, and glad I got the experience.

We snatched victory from the jaws of...well, surprisingly, most likely also victory! I really expected that we'd have to start shanking the other team afterward.

Quite pleased with my play overall. Even when Keats said it at the start, I wasn't thinking about the possibility of it being multiscum.

I like that I tried to push for clearing my teammates early, in the mod-confirmed customary way.

To Bif's point, yeah, doctored screenshots are plausible but like...hell if you're going to do that much effort, good on you.

I like that I came up with a way for everyone to achieve their wincon, before the mod went and changed the rules (though I appreciate the speed at which the change happened, I think a few more reactions to the 'kill everyone' idea might have helped solve some of things a bit earlier).

I like that I came up with the need for scum to out themselves before losing, though it looks like Hal figured that out basically immediately, kudos to Hal.

Honorable mention this game to Toalp. Maybe should've played along there but I was still hard pretending to be town. And I convinced Wind!

Yeah SR cracked it, but that scumchat had some really favorable hints, as they explained here.

I think a good chunk of players take that info and get close enough to the solve.

Reading this bit warmed my heart though:

I was really considering going along but I'd tried to confirm my wincon. Got the notice that my "team" was just my team, and really just kept thinking we'd (eventually) have to start shanking. And like, the D1 outing in my game made things a whole lot worse so I was reluctant there (agree with Keats that a D1 repeat of that would've been awkward).

This was my second favorite thing to read post-game:

And the kicker

One thing I really wanted to say D1 but couldn't risk crossing streams. There was a push for FoS D1, and I think FoS was lightly townreading me after spouting off my nonsense. I really, really wanted to say something like "FoS has phenomenal reads, especially on me, so pretty much hate the idea of voting there today." Because at the time, they were (correctly) calling me all sorts of scum in Shwinn's Bone game.

Oh and I'm pretty happy I spotted the "no power roles" thing to definitively (well, mostly, at least to me) get Hal dead.

---

I'm not a dang roomba person and skimmed most of the flavor, but everyone else loved it so that's great.

I like that I caught on to the Discord channel naming nonsense eventually.

The ambiance / bear interaction in Discord was actually fairly immersive, as I found myself wanting to commit some violence at the cheeky bastard fairly often.

I think HCT summed up the setup as being very split. If everyone claims, despair almost always win. If everyone doesn't claim, the MMs almost always win.

I'm not sure if Survs were really lovely roles, or if claiming immediately was just the absolute worst possible thing to do and they kinda got unlucky because of it. Perhaps making them confirmed survivor masons who both win if either is alive at the end, could've been more effective.

Anyway, thanks for running, really good experience, looking forward to Quantum Mafia soon.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

Yeah SR cracked it, but that scumchat had some really favorable hints, as they explained here.
Yes, major credit to Bif for asking for the town PM and telling me that probably almost everyone was "scum" with there being multiple teams. I just added on the "but doesn't that mean we share alignment with those teams per the OP?" and also, of course, made the bold play.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think with the setup as is an MM loss is essentially inevitable.

Basically, the four teams will always eventually get to a position where they''ll be 1-2 days from being endgamed unless they offer someone up for death.

If another scum team, under similar pressure of losing sees that then, we'll almost always see the interaction we got once I laid my cards on the table.

The MM roles being across two teams exposes them too much, they'd essentially have to have played a perfect game to avoid exposure to begin with (Taking down a person in each team one by one) and then somehow dodge a massclaim near the endgame. And once the game is exposed, their roles being so different makes them easy pickings.

Edit: Incidentally this is why I got Hal so hilariously wrong, because I just went "This game is unwinnable for MM if Hal's one" and threw the idea out.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I appreciated your support Nat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AZFDBdQKQ

THE END