Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ironfist, Cowboy Beboping on outta here.

I always felt his death was extremely contrived and dumb just so they could keep it self-contained in the Wreckers storyline, even with all the foreshadowing. That and the ending was...rushed to say the least. "Oh, btw, Ironfist, the hero of the miniseries died off-camera in a single panel that amounts to little better than a footnote. Anyways, later"

I love LSOTW but I just re-read it last night and there's a fair number of problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

I made a simple color-coded table showing IDW's publication order.

Thanks for this! It'll really come in handy once I get through the hardcovers (I think you may have forgotten the New Avengers crossover, though. It's bad, but it's still part of the main continuity. Also the Beast Wars series, as long as you're including alternate universe stuff).

Looking at that compiled list - man, I just finished the IDW Collection Vol. 7 (which cuts off right before Heart of Darkness) and it looks like that's probably less than halfway through the entirety of the issues so far. And just when I thought I was in the home stretch!

Captain Invictus posted:

I love LSOTW but I just re-read it last night and there's a fair number of problems with it.

I enjoyed Land Stand a lot but I sort of agree with this. More specifically I felt like it probably could have been stretched out over another issue in order to spend a little more time with the characters. Their deaths were supposed to be shocking, but I felt like some weren't as impactful as they could have been since I'd only known the characters for ten minutes before they died (particularly Rotorstorm). The extra stories that come with the trade and hardcover mitigated that feeling a bit, at least. It's the type of series that probably is enhanced by a second reading, though, which I need to do at some point down the road.

CyRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like the short Ironfist throwback in MTMTE(or was it RID? I forget) was great, really, and gave him a lot more characterization besides "haha get it, he's the fanboy avatar!" and that was only a couple pages.

Also, how many in-coma Transformers are there now? I can think of Springer and Wheeljack off the top of my head.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like the short Ironfist throwback in MTMTE(or was it RID? I forget) was great, really, and gave him a lot more characterization besides "haha get it, he's the fanboy avatar!" and that was only a couple pages.

Also, how many in-coma Transformers are there now? I can think of Springer and Wheeljack off the top of my head.

Didn't Springer wake up in Zero Point, or at least get closer to it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't even know what that is, honestly. I've only really read LSOTW, MTMTE, RID, Dark Cybertron and The Transformers, and only the Spotlights that came with figures.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't even know what that is, honestly. I've only really read LSOTW, MTMTE, RID, Dark Cybertron and The Transformers, and only the Spotlights that came with figures.

Zero Point is one of the text stories that was included with the LSOTW hardcover. It's about how Roadbuster takes care of Springer's comatose body after getting his face ripped off by Overlord. At the end, Springer doesn't quite wake up but it's implied his condition is improving or he is at least somewhat conscious of his surroundings.. There's a summary of it on the TFWiki. There's also another text story, "Bullets", that fleshes out a lot of the events prior to LSOTW.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

CyRaptor posted:

Thanks for this! It'll really come in handy once I get through the hardcovers (I think you may have forgotten the New Avengers crossover, though. It's bad, but it's still part of the main continuity. Also the Beast Wars series, as long as you're including alternate universe stuff).

I updated it to include the New Avengers crossover and fiddled with the formatting a bit.

I included Regeneration One because it is a continuation of the G1 Marvel comics, and I included Evolutions and Transformers vs. G.I. Joe because they are original works based on the G1 characters. I excluded everything based on the other cartoons (and the movies, and the video games) because I don't intend to read them any time soon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Omega Supreme still offline? Not much has been said about him since the Megatron-Devastator story in RiD

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

You Am I posted:

Isn't Omega Supreme still offline? Not much has been said about him since the Megatron-Devastator story in RiD

We won't be seeing him until he gets a new toy probably.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pretty sure we'll see him again when Combiner Wars starts - We're not even on Cybertron right now with any IDW book are we?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Taint Reaper posted:

We won't be seeing him until he gets a new toy probably.
This makes no sense because there's been plenty of characters without current toys as main characters in the various comics(until they started cranking them out for the popular IDW characters like Swerve, Tailgate, Whirl, Skids, etc).

Honestly my favorite part about the IDWverse is how it's reimagined tons of tertiary or lower characters like Mainframe, Trailbreaker/Cutter, Pipes(RIP), and Overlord into secondary or higher players. I didn't even know Overlord wasn't an IDW-created character until I looked at his wiki page, and he might as well be for how different he is from previous incarnations. My favorite part about him is how heavily they accentuate his mouth and lips, it just makes him that much creepier-looking when he's massacring people.

I also like how Kup has just gone full-blown PTSD vietnam vet at this point and needs his smokes to keep his head in the game or else he'll melt into a gibbering wreck again. Same with Ratchet just wanting to quit, but knowing he's the best and if he doesn't continue being the medic he's dooming future patients to die so he keeps at it.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Captain Invictus posted:

My favorite part about him is how heavily they accentuate his mouth and lips, it just makes him that much creepier-looking when he's massacring people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Perfect.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Spiderdrake posted:

We're not even on Cybertron right now with any IDW book are we?

We are in a week or two.

Edit: RiD #33 is on Cybertron.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 20, 2014

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of Overlord, I really like how Megatron never even remarks about him, even when they find him on the alternate Lost Light. He really doesn't care. :allears:

Spiderdrake posted:

We're not even on Cybertron right now with any IDW book are we?

Well there is Primacy, if you're into that sort of thing.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
Are any of the film/TFA/TFP/video game tie-ins/adaptations/continuations any good?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Are any of the film/TFA/TFP/video game tie-ins/adaptations/continuations any good?

War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are pretty good, every other TF game is awful.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

CyRaptor posted:

Zero Point is one of the text stories that was included with the LSOTW hardcover. It's about how Roadbuster takes care of Springer's comatose body after getting his face ripped off by Overlord. At the end, Springer doesn't quite wake up but it's implied his condition is improving or he is at least somewhat conscious of his surroundings.. There's a summary of it on the TFWiki. There's also another text story, "Bullets", that fleshes out a lot of the events prior to LSOTW.

Where exactly are Springer and Roadbuster geographically speaking, right now? I keep expecting them to show up in one of the books with all the space travel and what not.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

LightsGameraAction posted:

Where exactly are Springer and Roadbuster geographically speaking, right now? I keep expecting them to show up in one of the books with all the space travel and what not.

Waiting in a plot zone for when poo poo gets real and all hope looks lost, then they can jump out all Wreck and Rule!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Aside from WFC and FOC being good (WFC being the better of the two in my opinion) I would say the Animated DS game is OK. It's a Lost Vikings style puzzle platformer. It's aimed at kids so it is WAY too easy but OK if you don't spend a lot of cash on it.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I meant the comics though. Like, I'm not interested in the games, the films stand for themselves good or ill, and if I wanted to get into TFA or TFP I'd start with the cartoons, so I initially wrote off all the tie-in comics, but now I'm wondering if Furman and Barber and Scott did anything remotely interesting with them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've heard the Prime Dinobots stuff written by Scott was quite good, but generally speaking movie tie-ins are these weird "secondary canon" stories where they jam in the entire toyline along the arc, then murder all of them before the next movie rolls in.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Spiderdrake posted:

generally speaking movie tie-ins are these weird "secondary canon" stories where they jam in the entire toyline along the arc, then murder all of them before the next movie rolls in.

Pretty much although there are some good scenes in them. I loved the segment in the comic that took place immediately after the first movie with Starcream raiding the dam after Megatron is killed.

I would recommend the Animated comic if you liked the series it's pretty much the same style of writing.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I update my chart to include the writers, artists, inkers, and colorists for every single issue, and to indicate which issues are collected in what volumes of the IDW Collection and the later TPBs. And then made the display of all that toggleable.

Happy Fun Bollocks fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 22, 2014

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Peaugh reviews KTC Transistor (Blaster) test shot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That... actually looks pretty nifty.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Peaugh's got a video of MP Wheeljack up!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And a new Thew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skPARawMxI8

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

And a new Thew!

Thnew.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It really is sad that those things have the general release in the UK, and the actual deluxes are pricey TRU exclusives. :cripes:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Oh Thew, Hound is Sooooo good, I'm sorry.

That said, the deluxe comparison montage with the mangled B.B.B.Bee got me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

It really is sad that those things have the general release in the UK, and the actual deluxes are pricey TRU exclusives. :cripes:

Whoa what? That's hosed up!

This coming from someone who knows what it's like to have hosed up figure distribution.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Whoa what? That's hosed up!

This coming from someone who knows what it's like to have hosed up figure distribution.

Ask me how often you see Generations deluxes/voyagers/leaders in UK stores.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Ask me how often you see Generations deluxes/voyagers/leaders in UK stores.

Ask me how often I've seen a Patrick Troughton or Roger Delgado action figure in US stores.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Ask me how often I've seen a Patrick Troughton or Roger Delgado action figure in US stores.

Define "action figure". Because I've seen all-12-Doctors not-Lego minifig sets at Barnes and Noble, like, all the time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, I can't say I've never seen them in the US, but I can't count the occasions on more than a couple of fingers. And even then, only in special comic book stores. Have you looked into ordering them?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I finally found a voyager hound in stores!

... oh.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I can't say I've never seen them in the US, but I can't count the occasions on more than a couple of fingers. And even then, only in special comic book stores. Have you looked into ordering them?

Sure, but I'm just saying different stuff sells differently in different countries. There's really no reason to bitch about a country's TF (or Doctor Who) selection, they get whatever the market will support.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, as much doomsaying going around (and let's be honest, people actually hoping it did badly just to spite hasbloooow) the Hub managed to do well consistently. I'm sure the next RID show will be profitable too, and possibly fun if they make it more lighthearted like they announced (from what I understand the rescue bots show was apparently enjoyable for what it was).

I think you're the second report I've read about Roadbuster having two of the same ankle pieces. Get it exchanged if you can. The other part that terrifies me about it is the very frail pin that holds his brown shoulder pieces attached to his torso. I'd recommend grabbing him firmly by his shoulders when you're attempting to pose him.

Now I'm wondering what is BBTS's exchange policy if it happens to me, do I have to mail them the figure back and they send me a replacement all the way down here?

Yeah, I agree the shoulders need to tab in somewhere, I was complaining about those brown swivels earlier in this topic. Tabs would really put my mind at ease about them.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Actually, it's not two of the same ankle pieces. One is simply attached backwards. I would try to tap the pin out, but it's one of those pins where one of the heads is like five times the size of the other. Also, who the poo poo decided hexagon peg holes paired with side-scooped 5mm pegs were a good idea? Especially on something like Roadbuster, they hold terribly.

One of the hips on mine was backwards, and I got it rotated around eventually, the thigh armor made it tricky.

War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are pretty good, every other TF game is awful.

If you like War and Fall, the AoE tie-in game isn't bad. It's a pre-sequel, like the new Borderlands game. Most of it takes place between War and shortly before Fall. There is a wrapper of Bayverse, though, bookending the good stuff. The Dark Spark, you see, is a
Multiversal Singularity, and there is only one, like some descriptions of Unicron. The guys in the War/Fall universe get rid of that horse plop after Megatron gets his paws on it and kick it over to the Bayverse, where Lockdown gets it for a bit till they kick it over to oldschool G1-verse (seen after the credits.)

The Bayverse stuff feels like a decent enough mod, while the FoC stuff is pretty close to FoC, setting some things up while not contradicting FoC. You play as Shrapnel/Sharpshot in a stage or two, for instance, but you don't run into the Dynobots, since they're starting the mission they were on before Fall Of Cybertron.

Grimlock is Bayverse-only in the single player campaign... Bayverse characters are Prime, MurderBee, Drift, and Grimlock, with Lockdown as the only named enemy character.

Escalation is pretty fun, though. As you play the game and complete "challenges" or other goalposts that you were going to hit regardless like "kill 100 enemies" you unlock booster packs of cards. The cards have consumable items, weapons & weapon upgrades, new characters and abilities. Each character has a standard ability, such as a heal beam, sentry turret or whirlwind attack. You can assign any ability you unlock to any character you've unlocked. The characters are: all the characters from FoC, even the DLC ones, and the 6 Bayverse characters (the five I talked about above and Stinger... or "evil Cliffjumper".

It's a decent enough FoC game with a mediocre Bayverse wrapper, which means death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Sockser posted:

I finally found a voyager hound in stores!

... oh.

Man I wish I could trade my AOE Hound for that.