Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I might be wrong, but going too far north without sakharovs helmet will also result in your brain getting cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The power curve of GAMMA feels like it’s in a really good spot when you hit mid game. Advanced tools give you a good variety of weapons to freely use and Gunsmith tools make it really easy to keep them loaded up with ammo. I’m using NATO weapons and based out of Rostok and it’s really nice to be able to just buy up a stack of cheap 545 ammo and craft it into 556 to refill.

I think I’m just about ready to start venturing north - I have the janky psy helmet, medium armor, a kitted out kar98 and SIG 556 arrow. I’ve been cruising through a lot of the zones that previously seemed too intimidating (wild territory, truck cemetery) with relative ease. Anything else I should be preparing for before going north of army warehouses?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lots of AP rounds and field armor patch up kits before you start venturing into Monolith territory, for sure.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Man i learned the hard way going through the yantar lab to pay attention to armour condition, took too many hits from snorks and end up with my armour at 73% :negative: I was doing ok with always patching it up with basic kits before then, just didn’t realize how quickly those snork hits degrade a sunrise suit.

Now it’s too much effort/expense to repair so I’m just in a race against time to save enough for that sweet exoskeleton before my armour turns to shredded newspaper.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Man i was watching Klean play this and didn't bookmark the website to download anomaly gamma.. I only played the original stalker on release to finish and never anything else so basically it'll be like riding an old bike of PTSD i'm sure.

Anyone help an old man out with pointing ot anomaly gamma?

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
You'll need Stalker anomoly first as that is the base game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

Then Gamma is run via their discord.
They have a launcher that does the work for you.

There's a link in the github here

https://github.com/Grokitach/Stalker_GAMMA

The discord has a full guide.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Killswitch posted:

Now it’s too much effort/expense to repair so I’m just in a race against time to save enough for that sweet exoskeleton before my armour turns to shredded newspaper.

Not sure if you’re aware but you can cheaply repair parts with basic thread/parts repair kits and pop those in to raise the overall condition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Man i was watching Klean play this and didn't bookmark the website to download anomaly gamma.. I only played the original stalker on release to finish and never anything else so basically it'll be like riding an old bike of PTSD i'm sure.

Anyone help an old man out with pointing ot anomaly gamma?

So step by step is 1. Get anomaly (it's stand alone, none of the actual games are needed. Stalker is in practice free now)
2. Read the gamma install instructions on the Gamma discord. It's very handy to have them to make sure you did everything right and the game crashing isn't your fault
3. The instructions basically boil down to getting the launcher/downloader that was linked above. It will take care of the rest of the install, but the download will take a while

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 21, 2023

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its literally amazing what you get for the low low price of nothing but some bandwidth, but, before you start an anomaly/gamma run, I'd suggest grabbing the other two games and playing through them as far as you like, not least to appreciate the amazingly good work modders have done in the meantime. (cop pretty much works fine out of the box, but Clear Skies might want a little modding, although its been absolutely forever since the last time I replayed it so I have no clue whats good now, I'd automatically just recommend the latest free mods)

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

So step by step is 1. Get anomaly (it's stand alone, none of the actual games are needed. Stalker is in practice free now)
2. Read the gamma install instructions on the Gamma discord. It's very handy to have them to make sure you did everything right and the game crashing isn't your fault
3. The instructions basically boil down to getting the launcher/downloader that was linked above. It will take care of the rest of the install, but the download will take a while

Thank you very much for taking the time!

IllustriousChen posted:

You'll need Stalker anomoly first as that is the base game.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

Then Gamma is run via their discord.
They have a launcher that does the work for you.

There's a link in the github here

https://github.com/Grokitach/Stalker_GAMMA

The discord has a full guide.

Thanks for the links, appreciate it.

staberind posted:

its literally amazing what you get for the low low price of nothing but some bandwidth, but, before you start an anomaly/gamma run, I'd suggest grabbing the other two games and playing through them as far as you like, not least to appreciate the amazingly good work modders have done in the meantime. (cop pretty much works fine out of the box, but Clear Skies might want a little modding, although its been absolutely forever since the last time I replayed it so I have no clue whats good now, I'd automatically just recommend the latest free mods)

Funny enough, I own all 3 games on steam and I never played the other 2 because... *Looks at steam never played list of shame* they were good deals on steam sale....

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
One thing to keep in mind when installing GAMMA: after you install Anomaly but before you install GAMMA, run Anomaly once to the main menu.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The first time a fresh install runs is when the game writes important settings files. These are needed for the mods to read or alter or apply more settings to. Not doing it in the right order will make the game crash on start up

Stalker: it's a unique experience!TM
:shepface:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 22, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The discord guide seemed overwhelming at first, but even with downloading, I was through it in less than an hour, and it was totally worth the effort

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thanks for Mentioning the "Run Anomaly Once" reminder because it was knocking around in my head and I could not recall if that was still true, then I remembered that yeah, all mods on top of anomaly need that, plus I saw the above and wanted to drop by with it and mention that.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

moller posted:

Not sure if you’re aware but you can cheaply repair parts with basic thread/parts repair kits and pop those in to raise the overall condition.

Oh. Ive been having difficulty trying to figure out how some of the “advanced” repair kits work… i have a few threads and kits stashed, but i can’t seem to use them from my inventory.

Ive got the basic kits + bonuses figured out no problem.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Grok posted:

The GAMMA 0.9.1 - 2nd Anniversary Patch is available NOW!

Please perform a big patch update method from #How To Update and you'll need to update the GAMMA Large Files to have all the cool updated textures for the new guns (thanks to Cr3pis again for his awesome texturing work!).

Some crashes **could happen** on existing saves if you have *an upgraded FN57 or an upgraded Winchester1897* (coming from a mod you installed yourself). If you have such guns, donate them to a trader and sleep 48h and then update to keep your save.

This is the first major patch since 0.9.1 update, including new guns and reanimation thanks to talented modders like Firebreath, SeDzhiMol, Synd1cate, billwa, NickolasNikova, JMerc75 and DaimeneX (new quick melee animations). It also features a much simpler upgrade system not requiring any toolkits or repair kits, as well as many bugfixes, rebalances and tweaks to the progression and the gameplay like less tanky enemies, stronger buff to ammo penetration when hitting eyes, jaws and neck, and many other changes!

Read the Patchnotes here: https://github.com/Grokitach/Stalker_GAMMA/blob/dev2/Patchnotes_0.9.1_2nd_anniversary.md

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Gamma patch notes posted:

Winchester 1873 added to the game.

loving sick :clint:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah, that wonderful feel of a fresh loner start with nothing but a 1911, a sunrise suit+mask, and a willingness to apply everything you’ve learned in previous saves to progress faster and better.

Also trying out that “Dark Souls” mod for this save. Already died once and had to go get all my stuff from near the bridge. This should be fun…

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gunslinger is still fun but is it dead? Don't have the patience to read up on it and translate from Cyrillic and all.

Almost have Gamma up and running so i can catch up with everyone else.

Also feels like a waste of time modding for CoC now :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MariusLecter posted:

Gunslinger is still fun but is it dead? Don't have the patience to read up on it and translate from Cyrillic and all.

The only thing that was of any importance in Gunslinger, the animations, have been stripped from it and implemented in GAMMA (and EFP and any other modpack for Anomaly).

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
and IIRC; the Exo stuff too.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

I recently tried Gunslinger and wound up with a bug that emptied NPCs from trading hub areas (even the important ones) which retroactively affected my previous saves. Bummer, because I was having a great time with it, and it'll never leave beta.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Was browsing through the GAMMA discord and found this mod that displays more accurate stats for stuff. It even has a hotkey you can press to get a readout of your defensive stats because the inventory menu bars are notoriously inaccurate/misleading.

Also shout out to the mod that adds SP11 (FMJ) and SP12 (HP) rounds to the 9x21 ammo. Love my some SR1MP and SR2M.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Namnesor posted:

One thing to keep in mind when installing GAMMA: after you install Anomaly but before you install GAMMA, run Anomaly once to the main menu.

Solid information to know. Definitely would have tried to skip this step

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why thank you Mr. Freedumb Pigschewed. :getin:

[edit] Not feeling it. For some reason it feels like it loses power rapidly beyond close range. Tossing it in my stash in favor of this UMP I just found.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 24, 2023

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's odd, I didn't have a ton of time to play before heading out of town for the weekend, but I was able to single-tap headshot the bandits in Cordon at ~150 yards. Judging from your mags, though, it looks like you've already moved past its fairly narrow window of viability. .357 HP sadly doesn't perform well once enemy armor moves beyond Light category.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was using it on mutants, tbh. But yeah, the slow RoF, archaic iron sights, and odd falloff issues meant that the second I found the UMP it was done. If I hadn’t gotten that lucky drop (off a Duty Lost Signal job even, odd gun choice for a Dutyer) I might’ve stuck with it longer and tried to make it work.

But yeah, progress in this new wave has been great so far. Lucked into a good barrel AK-74, and then somehow hit the jackpot and got the 9% odds of an Advanced Toolset on a green Stash in Agroprom. I was actually in my way to Sidorovich in that screenshot to exchange a freedom suit I repaired from a stash for a proper Loner SEVA, so I’m sitting pretty decent for mid-game gear currently.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 24, 2023

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I had a pack of dogs come at me from a fair distance. I saw them from afar, stayed out in the open and drew them in. Dogs are dumb, they just straight-line right for you, easy to line them up and blast them with a shotgun one by one.

Except the last fucker who ACTUALLY JUKED TO THE SIDE as I pulled the trigger and landed a good bite on me, turning my expert plan into a bleedy screen panic.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why thank you Mr. Freedumb Pigschewed. :getin:

[edit] Not feeling it. For some reason it feels like it loses power rapidly beyond close range. Tossing it in my stash in favor of this UMP I just found.

That's a shame, I wanted to play Revolver Ocelot/have some Ostern action in the Zone.

Modders, please now add in the Russian contract Winchester 1895 that was chambered in 7.62x54, thank you :ocelot:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

moot the hopple posted:

That's a shame, I wanted to play Revolver Ocelot/have some Ostern action in the Zone.

Modders, please now add in the Russian contract Winchester 1895 that was chambered in 7.62x54, thank you :ocelot:

With a box magazine to boot!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I played my first 2 hours last night starting loner in rostok with a pmm pistol. Took a bunch of meds and radiation and all the food I could and I didn't die but I went through all my meds and all my anti radiation because I kept walking into anomaly buildings and spiking my radiation causing tons of health damage.

Then.. it turned into needing tons of loving food and water.. so short on food.

Took a task to rescue a guy from a bandit and did that, killed a lurker and the bandit and rescued the guy for 6000 rubles to buy a couple cans of food to stop being hungry.

Definitely going to die tonight when I play because I'm newbie stupid

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Loner start can be really rough, especially because there is no Loner friendly medic in the Cordon (much cheaper to heal at a medic than using meds yourself). Sitting near lit Campfires will slowly heal your overall health, but not your individual segment health.

Speaking of meds, sometimes I wish I could just go up to Sakharov and say "Professor, I want to buy a box of empty needles! And a roll of plastic film! Don’t tell me your fancy lab doesn’t have such things! I promise, its not for Heroin! I have better drugs to make than that!"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There's a man who's never tasted heroin

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does anyone have an icepick I can borrow?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Galaga Galaxian posted:

"Does anyone have an icepick I can borrow?"

Ramón Mercader moments after emerging from a time anomaly

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I played my first 2 hours last night starting loner in rostok with a pmm pistol. Took a bunch of meds and radiation and all the food I could and I didn't die but I went through all my meds and all my anti radiation because I kept walking into anomaly buildings and spiking my radiation causing tons of health damage.

Then.. it turned into needing tons of loving food and water.. so short on food.

Took a task to rescue a guy from a bandit and did that, killed a lurker and the bandit and rescued the guy for 6000 rubles to buy a couple cans of food to stop being hungry.

Definitely going to die tonight when I play because I'm newbie stupid

Early game can be a bit rough before you have basic tools and a usable weapon. The good part though is that even if you’re blowing through all your money while doing so, completing tasks is the best way to get stashes. Sometimes they have trash in them but even the southern maps’ stashes spawn some really nice gear, definitely better than what you can get killing local bandits. They’re also one of the only ways to get tool kits, which are the main progression gate in Gamma and unlock both the crafting functionality and repair/upgrade tiers.

Once you get rolling a bit more, Rostok is a machine that turns random mutant parts and assorted garbage into easy stashes and money. Taskboard on the PDA is a key tool here, making it super easy to hover up turn-ins for stuff you already have and missions that match whatever you are looking to do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

causticBeet posted:

Once you get rolling a bit more, Rostok is a machine that turns random mutant parts and assorted garbage into easy stashes and money. Taskboard on the PDA is a key tool here, making it super easy to hover up turn-ins for stuff you already have and missions that match whatever you are looking to do.

It can be worth keeping a locker here with a few hundred kilos of assorted mutant parts so whenever someone wants something you can immediately fish it out and turn it in.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

causticBeet posted:

Early game can be a bit rough before you have basic tools and a usable weapon. The good part though is that even if you’re blowing through all your money while doing so, completing tasks is the best way to get stashes. Sometimes they have trash in them but even the southern maps’ stashes spawn some really nice gear, definitely better than what you can get killing local bandits. They’re also one of the only ways to get tool kits, which are the main progression gate in Gamma and unlock both the crafting functionality and repair/upgrade tiers.

2 more hour update tonight.

Did a few tasks.. almost got melted by some giant storm that said "TAKE SHELTER" and then sprinting to the garbage train station. Got killed by weird reddish brown dog with glowing eyes because the pistol is like hitting it with a light nerf bat.

Not entirely sure what I should be breaking down/selling but started filling 100 rad bar stash with pretty much everything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What kind of pistol do you have? If you’ve got a 1911 (or some other .45) buy Hydrashock ammo. 45 Hydrashock is one of the best anti mutant rounds in the game and absolutely worth its price. It’ll tear up rookie bandits in leather coats too but even a lightly armored stalker’s armor will make it less effective than standard FMJ.

extra tips: Butcher at the train shed in Garbage sells assorted HP/anti mutant ammo cheaper than everyone else. He also pays more for mutant parts and, oddly, porn mags (but he does not pay as well as quests that ask for specific mutant parts!) buy a hunting kit backpack from him, it gives you a bonus chance to harvest additional bits from mutants. It will also work by just having it in your inventory for when you eventually get a better backpack.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

It can be worth keeping a locker here with a few hundred kilos of assorted mutant parts so whenever someone wants something you can immediately fish it out and turn it in.

Thoroughly second this. My run last year basically turned into Aniviron's Discount Mutant Parts Emporium and it paid for everything from the first AK to the exoskeleton batteries. Only eat the stuff that is way too common, never sell anything. Quests only.