Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

UberJew posted:

There's a reasonable chance that Hillary will just renominate Garland if the republicans don't confirm him until she's president, also

I would hope she would instead nominate a 40-year-old clone of Sotomayor so the Republicans rue not doing their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

I would hope she would instead nominate a 40-year-old clone of Sotomayor so the Republicans rue not doing their job.

If she really wants a marxist baby maybe she could look into these forums.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Deteriorata posted:

They're probably going to focus a decent part of the campaign in various states with vulnerable Senators on how Garland is awesome and why can't the Senate act like adults? Picking someone else is probably not going to be possible for Hillary and the Democrats by the time they're done beating Senate Republicans over the head with it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bip Roberts posted:

If she really wants a marxist baby maybe she could look into these forums.

Which Law Goon should be appointed to the bench in this fantasy?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gyges posted:

The scorched Earth campaign has actually not been working. It has at best been delaying the inevitable, but mostly been loving up the doable by refusing .

You don't scorch the earth when you're winning. Delaying the inevitable is pretty much the whole point.

And the GOP aren't exactly in their last gasps. They hold both houses and are a decent candidate away from holding all branches. Having that even for two years is enough to dismantle obamacare and fill all those court vacancies, overturn roe, implement a flat tax, all that good stuff.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rygar201 posted:

Warsuzawahfurhrbfufhhr or whatever would be the best, but WhiskeyJuvenile would be the most entertaining.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gyges posted:

They're probably going to focus a decent part of the campaign in various states with vulnerable Senators on how Garland is awesome and why can't the Senate act like adults? Picking someone else is probably not going to be possible for Hillary and the Democrats by the time they're done beating Senate Republicans over the head with it.

Vulnerable senators who also had no problem confirming him to the most powerful non-SCOTUS judicial position in the country not all that long ago. :eng101:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Where is TheWarsawza anyway?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

They should find some 18 year old fitness freak who signs a blood pledge to act as a permanent corporeal vessel for Ginsburg's consciousness, why half rear end it

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any chance of Garland going full Warren and revealing himself to be a closet liberal when he gets confirmed?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ron Jeremy posted:

You don't scorch the earth when you're winning. Delaying the inevitable is pretty much the whole point.

And the GOP aren't exactly in their last gasps. They hold both houses and are a decent candidate away from holding all branches. Having that even for two years is enough to dismantle obamacare and fill all those court vacancies, overturn roe, implement a flat tax, all that good stuff.

The GOP is going to have the House for a while and they'll be trading off control of the Senate with the Democrats for a while as well. However, it's getting harder and harder for them to win the White House and we're approaching the point where repealing Obamacare doesn't gain you brownie points because it's not showing Obama who's actually in charge. Every year it is unrepealed and every subsequent term of another Democratic President makes it harder to do. Plus Hillary is gonna fill, like, all the vacancies come January with her Democratically controlled Senate. After that, it's going to be a generation or so before there's any chance of Roe getting overturned and any damage future President Mythic Reasonable Republican does with his congressional lackeys will be mitigated by the 5-7 liberals on the Supreme Court.

The scorched Earth tactic has done very little to delay the inevitable, and has largely resulted in accelerating events. The failure of the Grand Bargain a few years ago, for instance, has lead to the Democrats now being in unison with the goal of expanding Social Security. They could have had cuts and limits put on that would have been enough for Conservative wet dreams just a few years ago. Now, instead of arguing with the Democrats on just how to do cuts so as to keep the program solvent, they're now fighting a platform of raising the caps and expanding coverage. That's way worse than if they hadn't even brought it up and let Obama just do nothing instead of blocking the deal.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is there any chance of Garland going full Warren and revealing himself to be a closet liberal when he gets confirmed?

There is always a chance that once given the oath, a new Supreme Court Justice is reborn ideologically in comparison to previous rulings. Conservatives have been burned by that very thing several times.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Does that kind of ideological phoenix act get less common for Justices promoted from appointed positions rather than elected ones?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mors Rattus posted:

Does that kind of ideological phoenix act get less common for Justices promoted from appointed positions rather than elected ones?

It's less likely now because everyone is vetted to hell and back. It's also pretty unlikely that we go back to appointing non-judges for the foreseeable future. The last one, I think, was Rehnquist and he was appointed by Nixon.

Garland is probably less likely than most since he's already sitting in the second highest seat. Most of the ideological phoenix act seems to come from not being presented with opportunities to rule on issues prior to being appointed and sitting in the chair where you don't have to worry about anyone overruling you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Garland's fairly liberal as it is. If you mean "the most liberal justice on the bench" then no. He's been around for a long time (which is the biggest concern with his pick since he'd retire 10-20 years sooner) so a late-in-life change of heart seems unlikely. He's also probably mature enough to not go ultra-left out of spite towards the GOP's bullshit.

IIRC he's considered to be overall left of Kagan(or Breyer maybe?) but right of Sotomayor and RBG.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HappyHippo posted:

If they do nominate him during the lame duck I'm looking forward to the contortions they go through to justify it. At what point do you just say "gently caress it, we know this blatantly contradicts what we've been saying all year, but we're doing this anyway, because we can." It's not like they're fooling anyone about what's going on here.

They will not justify it and they will not find this to be a particular problem with their voters, as long as it appears to be to prevent someone worse* from getting in.

*more liberal

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

Phil.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Lemming posted:

They should find some 18 year old fitness freak who signs a blood pledge to act as a permanent corporeal vessel for Ginsburg's consciousness, why half rear end it

This is the best reason to become a Satanist I've heard all day.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Gyges posted:

It's also pretty unlikely that we go back to appointing non-judges for the foreseeable future. The last one, I think, was Rehnquist and he was appointed by Nixon.
Kagan was never a judge before SCOTUS, was she?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

I don't care if they're lawgoons or not, but either Fishmech or Tiggum.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AtraMorS posted:

poo poo.

Thanks, Obama.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Probably not as dramatically as Warren, but there are a few reasons to believe he will.

The knocks on him for having conservative leanings come, in my opinion, from his adherence to precedent. He has a very low overturn rate, and has a reputation for not being very adventurous in pushing precedent he doesn't like. Faithfully following conservative precedent, of which there is quite a bit from the Burger-Rehnquist-Roberts Courts, does not make him an adherent of that judicial philosophy, it just makes him a judge who values stare decisis. While that likely comes from some preference for stability in the law and will likely persist to some degree when he is on the bench, Supreme Court justices are obviously less precedent-bound than circuit court judges, so that should be less of a constraint on exercising his preferences.

He is almost certainly not a closet Ginsberg, but Obama's team probably nominated him for reasons other than just tweaking Orrin Hatch. They have been pretty competent on judicial nominations, so it's likely they have some decent basis for confidence in his landing somewhere on the left.

And maybe most importantly, he's a human being and he's unlikely to forget which side has been slamming him without any justification for crass political gain.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

AtraMorS posted:

So there's still a chance of Caro being a Supreme Court Justice under President Trump?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Gyges posted:

He's almost certainly not withdrawing Garland for any reason because it lends legitimacy to the bullshit idiocy that the Republicans are putting forward that a President's term is actually only 3 years with a 1 year vagrancy charge pending.

The hell it does. The Republicans are trying to say the President shouldn't get a nomination during his entire last year, which is obviously idiotic. This would be pulling the nomination during the actual lame duck period between the election and the new term, which is entirely different and arguably sensible.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do your part and email your senators and tell them to put Garland to a vote.

Not that John and Ted care about my opinion but I sent them a message anyway.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?OrderBy=state&

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Modus Pwnens posted:

The hell it does. The Republicans are trying to say the President shouldn't get a nomination during his entire last year, which is obviously idiotic. This would be pulling the nomination during the actual lame duck period between the election and the new term, which is entirely different and arguably sensible.

Yes, it does. You can't argue for 9 months that the President actually does serve full 4 year terms and appointing Justices is one of his jobs, then immediately drop it after another bullshit, arbitrary, threshold is crossed. The President is still President even during the lame duck session and still has the responsibility to nominate people to fill judicial vacancies. Withdrawing the nominee Obama put forward because Hillary won and now they can usher in the Judicial Liberal Apocalypse reinforces the idiotic politics the the Republicans have been playing for almost half a year.

Besides, there's no way in hell a President is giving up the naming of a Justice that there's every indication they do actually like just so their successor can fill the vacancy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gyges I just wanted to say your take on American politics the past few pages is spot on.

One nuance to add is that the GOP in congress is really stuck because they depend the bar stances they take for fundraising. So they are dooming themselves long term to raise money from fnc rubes today. Given then obesity levels of congressional republicans they probably are thinking long term anyways.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Gyges posted:

Besides, there's no way in hell a President is giving up the naming of a Justice that there's every indication they do actually like just so their successor can fill the vacancy.

Was garland obama's ideal pick or did he pick Garland because it would set up this ridiculous situation of the republicans refusing to vote on a guy they had previously said would be acceptable?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He was nominated because the president felt that he was the person that should be the next SCOTUS justice. There is no 10th dimensional chess.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Ron Jeremy posted:

Was garland obama's ideal pick or did he pick Garland because it would set up this ridiculous situation of the republicans refusing to vote on a guy they had previously said would be acceptable?

Yes.

We're talking about a guy who tried in good faith to work with Republicans for 6 years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was nominated because the president felt that he was the person that should be the next SCOTUS justice. There is no 10th dimensional chess.

Obama almost certainly factored in the fact that, were Republicans to turn out to not be as intransigent as they have turned out to be, he'd still need their support for the nomination, and, in that light, must have concluded that Garland was the most likely candidate to get Republican approval.

That is probably it though. Nothing deeper.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RuanGacho posted:

Yes.

We're talking about a guy who tried in good faith to work with Republicans for 6 years.

It was at most 4 years, of which 2 of them he had majorities in both chambers of Congress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

It was at most 4 years, of which 2 of them he had majorities in both chambers of Congress.

.....no, not really. He never had a filibuster proof majority, because many of the Democrats he had the majority with sided with conservative GOP members.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ron Jeremy posted:

Nobody gets their ideal pick because there is no perfect candidate that fulfills every one of your steamy conlaw desires. Garland is a nominee that Obama feels is a good pick for the court and believes helps showcase Republican idiocy. Considering that Garland seems to be in the same general area on ideological graphic depictions as Kagan, I'm not sure he is much of a compromise at all. Garland has been on short lists for several vacancies after all. Plus this is Obama's third pick, that's pretty high for a president in the modern era so his short list is likely mighty short at this point.

Edit: I guess Taft got the Supreme Court Justice of his dreams eventually.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rygar201 posted:

evilweasel :twisted:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

He had majorities in both chambers for something like ~9 months because Ted Kennedy died and they held a special election to replace him (the only reason why ACA passed was due to the interim senator voting for it) which ended in a Republican getting the seat and the number of votes dropping to 59.

Instead of it being a compromise bill between the House/Senate like it usually is the House had to pass the Senate version and then amend it afterwords.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I've seen some pieces speculating that Kennedy's leftward drift this term has been because of Scalia's absence. I don't know how much Kennedy was persuaded by Scalia's opinions, so I don't have any basis for vetting the speculation, but its an interesting take of the soft power changes (as opposed to simply the reduction of 1 conservative vote out of 9 votes total) to the Court's dynamic because of Scalia's death. Even if there isn't a major leftward shift for Kennedy's overall jurisprudence, his decision to side with the liberals in both an AA and abortion case is pretty significant. I'm curious to see the extent and duration of this evolution.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Garland's fairly liberal as it is. If you mean "the most liberal justice on the bench" then no. He's been around for a long time (which is the biggest concern with his pick since he'd retire 10-20 years sooner) so a late-in-life change of heart seems unlikely. He's also probably mature enough to not go ultra-left out of spite towards the GOP's bullshit.

IIRC he's considered to be overall left of Kagan(or Breyer maybe?) but right of Sotomayor and RBG.

He reminds me of being in the same vein as Breyer. Generally left ideology, believes in the administrative process, has a law and order streak.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Party Plane Jones posted:

He had majorities in both chambers for something like ~9 months because Ted Kennedy died and they held a special election to replace him (the only reason why ACA passed was due to the interim senator voting for it) which ended in a Republican getting the seat and the number of votes dropping to 59.

Instead of it being a compromise bill between the House/Senate like it usually is the House had to pass the Senate version and then amend it afterwords.

Actually it was less than that because it took a while for Franken to be seated thanks to the lawsuits.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Green Crayons posted:

I've seen some pieces speculating that Kennedy's leftward drift this term has been because of Scalia's absence. I don't know how much Kennedy was persuaded by Scalia's opinions, so I don't have any basis for vetting the speculation, but its an interesting take of the soft power changes (as opposed to simply the reduction of 1 conservative vote out of 9 votes total) to the Court's dynamic because of Scalia's death. Even if there isn't a major leftward shift for Kennedy's overall jurisprudence, his decision to side with the liberals in both an AA and abortion case is pretty significant. I'm curious to see the extent and duration of this evolution.

I doubt it's. Scalia was famously unable to persuade Kennedy from writing Casey and Whole Women's Health is basically just Breyer laying out how exactly Texas egregiously tried to use the letter of Casey against the intent.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Making a more moderate pick you think has a better chance of getting past a Republican controlled senate (or at least make them look bad for blocking) isn't 10th dimensional chess, it's barely even checkers. I'm sure Obama thinks Garland would make a good justice, but I also don't think he would have made the same pick were the Democrats in control of the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Green Crayons posted:

Could it be that he's trying to avoid ties? Like if he's on the fence about a decision, but the options are to vote with the 3 conservatives for a 4-4 decision, or the 4 liberals for a 5-3 decision, might he be more inclined to avoid the tie?