Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I thought that being able to turn candles on and off was really cool.

So you were the one!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I haven't interacted with Yen much yet (done the first couple of main story quests on Skellige), but if the game is trying to portray her as potential love interest alongside Triss then, for me at least, it's failing horribly. Having her read Geralts mind places her pretty firmly in the "abusive rear end in a top hat" category.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

The fact that the previous murder had a letter pointing to where the next victim would be was incredibly suspect, like why would the killer write down the loving address? He never did it before and it's incredibly dumb and pointless.

That didn't tip me off at all, I mean the real killer left the names of the next victims and I just assumed everyone knew who Priscilla and the Vegelbud lady were so there was no need to include a location those times. And leading Geralt to a preist of the Eternal Fire who was just then torturing a girl was pretty ingenious.
The "haha yeah embalming fluid makes me look young" poo poo was hilariously suspicious though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My dislike from Yen, at the moment, comes from her making GBS threads on Geralt for using amnesia as an excuse to "cheat" on her. It's like woman, he literally had no recollection of who he was and you weren't in any sort of contact. :wtc:

Getting ready to do Skellige quests though so maybe she'll grow on me.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
In regards to carnal sins: I was pretty much 100% sure that the murderer was not a normal human after the investigation of Priscilla's attack site (he jumped a wall Geralt couldn't even climb!) and getting effortlessly outrun at the Vegelbud estate like that. Which made it very, very doubtful to me that it'd be Jerkass Mc Priest given their stance on nonhumans and sentient monsters combined with the recent and ongoing Doppler purge mania. That there was also no formaldehyde scent and the hooker was gagged made it clear that while he was a vile piece of poo poo, he was just bait used by the real killer.

GrossMurpel posted:

No way man, before the decision Geralt says "you hurt this woman and tortured her friend", then when you do it he says "she's like a daughter to me, that's why I just can't let this go".
Yeah sure he called him a sick gently caress upon entering the room for the first time but he doesn't mention it afterwards.

Personally, I interpreted it as Geralt being so utterly disgusted that he's deliberately concentrating on Ciri and tuning it out to not fly off the handle wholesale.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

poptart_fairy posted:

My dislike from Yen, at the moment, comes from her making GBS threads on Geralt for using amnesia as an excuse to "cheat" on her. It's like woman, he literally had no recollection of who he was and you weren't in any sort of contact. :wtc:

I felt the same way. As far as Skellige goes, you get to know her a bit better, and I found myself respecting her power and determination more but not liking her any better as a person. She does a few things that are pretty lovely.

She doesn't hold a candle to my girl Triss. Step off, haters.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I loved how Yen was written in this game. I've read Last Wish, Sword of Destiny and the first three books of the series, and they nailed her. Just when you think she couldn't be any more of a queen bitch she turns it around and does something fantastic for you. I think that's the problem people have, she refuses to explain her motivations to anyone. She's either doing the wrong thing for the right reason, or she's planning on doing the right thing but she'll be damned if she lets anyone know that.

Also, later on Skellige she asks you to help capture a genie to undo the wish Geralt made, and after she says she still loves you :3:.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't really mind Yen. It's clear that she has a bit of a toxic personality, but if there's one person that can handle that, it's Geralt. It's also made clear throughout the game that she really loves him.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Yen isn't the one who took advantage of Geralt when he had amnesia, after all.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So the Bloody Baron's story seemed to end on a fairly :unsmith: note for me.

I killed the tree, so the orphans died, Gran/Anna went crazy.

Stormed the swamp with the Baron and his men, met up with the daughter and her witch hunting buddies.

Killed monsters, saved Anna.

The Baron is now off to take his wife to a healer in the mountains, Talia will join them when she's done with the Eternal Flame (:ohdear:).

Everyone seemed sad but reconciled? :shrug:

I assume this could have gone waaaay worse, and or will come back to bite me in the rear end later (it's the Witcher, come on).

I also assume the major decision points were the botchling (which I turned into a lubberkin) and freeing the tree spirit vs killing it. Also maybe dialogue choices with the Baron.

Without spoiling future twists (if any) what were the consequences of the other decisions and how could this have gone way way worse?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

poptart_fairy posted:

You have a conversation with her much later on where it becomes apparent that she never really believed Geralt had amnesia to begin with. But that is literally right before the final showdown, so.

She doesn't really poo poo on Geralt either, she just goes, "Right, yes, amnesia :rolleyes:, I don't want to listen to your excuses so maybe let's never speak of this again?" I think it's pretty big of her, actually- Geralt sleeps with the one woman in the world Yen didn't want him sleeping with, and she's willing to just let it go with a few snarky barbs.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Snuffman posted:

So the Bloody Baron's story seemed to end on a fairly :unsmith: note for me.

I killed the tree, so the orphans died, Gran/Anna went crazy.

Stormed the swamp with the Baron and his men, met up with the daughter and her witch hunting buddies.

Killed monsters, saved Anna.

The Baron is now off to take his wife to a healer in the mountains, Talia will join them when she's done with the Eternal Flame (:ohdear:).

Everyone seemed sad but reconciled? :shrug:

I assume this could have gone waaaay worse, and or will come back to bite me in the rear end later (it's the Witcher, come on).

I also assume the major decision points were the botchling (which I turned into a lubberkin) and freeing the tree spirit vs killing it. Also maybe dialogue choices with the Baron.

Without spoiling future twists (if any) what were the consequences of the other decisions and how could this have gone way way worse?

If you free the tree spirit, the kids don't die, but Anna does, and the Baron ends up hanging himself and it's implied that everyone in Crow's Perch is gonna be raped and/or murdered by his men.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a very human reaction and she drops it and never brings it up again after that

it's good writing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

paint dry posted:

If you free the tree spirit, the kids don't die, but Anna does, and the Baron ends up hanging himself and it's implied that everyone in Crow's Perch is gonna be raped and/or murdered by his men.

I'm pretty sure that last part happens regardless, since he's gone either way. The Sergeant just says that there is going to be "changes".

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty sure that last part happens regardless, since he's gone either way. The Sergeant just says that there is going to be "changes".

Ah, I didn't realise that. I don't really care because I can still talk to the dwarf blacksmith, sorry peasants.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm doing the Get Junior quest and I think the game took a poo poo with some kind of glitch? At the part where it says to "Read the document you found" and/or "Go to fat man spy to report on it" and both things have a waypoint inside a house with two doors that are constantly locked in Novigrad, cannot get in them. I read every goddamn text I have in my inventory, still nothing changes. What the heck? I just finished the Cleaver subquest in the midst of this so maybe that hosed me up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well like I said I haven't done the Skellige stuff yet so I'm happy to have my impressions of Yen proven wrong. I think it just rubs me the wrong way when a significant portion of the first games relies on the amnesia thing but then a character brushes it off, apparently trying to be self-aware about it.

Amnesia is a lovely story mechanic basically. :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm doing the Get Junior quest and I think the game took a poo poo with some kind of glitch? At the part where it says to "Read the document you found" and/or "Go to fat man spy to report on it" and both things have a waypoint inside a house with two doors that are constantly locked in Novigrad, cannot get in them. I read every goddamn text I have in my inventory, still nothing changes. What the heck? I just finished the Cleaver subquest in the midst of this so maybe that hosed me up.

That confused me as well, go back inside the arena, the waypoint is actually underground.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Autonomous Monster posted:

You have a conversation with her much later on where it becomes apparent that she never really believed Geralt had amnesia to begin with. But that is literally right before the final showdown, so.

She doesn't really poo poo on Geralt either, she just goes, "Right, yes, amnesia :rolleyes:, I don't want to listen to your excuses so maybe let's never speak of this again?" I think it's pretty big of her, actually- Geralt sleeps with the one woman in the world Yen didn't want him sleeping with, and she's willing to just let it go with a few snarky barbs.

Which is kind of insane on her part, since she also experienced the same amnesia. It just didn't last as long for her.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

poptart_fairy posted:

Well like I said I haven't done the Skellige stuff yet so I'm happy to have my impressions of Yen proven wrong. I think it just rubs me the wrong way when a significant portion of the first games relies on the amnesia thing but then a character brushes it off, apparently trying to be self-aware about it.

Skellige made me think worse of Yennefer lol.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

paint dry posted:

Ah, I didn't realise that. I don't really care because I can still talk to the dwarf blacksmith, sorry peasants.

Heh, the first time I came back there was like one soldier trying to extort a peasant and when Geralt arrived in the actual castle, he bitched to the sergeant about what the men are doing to the peasants. I only ran into a woman almost being raped hours later when I had to go into a side alley because Roach spawned there :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I don't really mind Yen. It's clear that she has a bit of a toxic personality, but if there's one person that can handle that, it's Geralt. It's also made clear throughout the game that she really loves him.

Yeah who would date a sulky, stubborn, taciturn woman?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

A character that wasn't around for him having amnesia being skeptical about it is pretty realistic

Had I not gone in with previous knowledge of the series, I'd probably have just thought it was the lamest excuse Geralt could have thought of

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

A character that wasn't around for him having amnesia being skeptical about it is pretty realistic

Had I not gone in with previous knowledge of the series, I'd probably have just thought it was the lamest excuse Geralt could have thought of

As pointed out above she had the exact same thing though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

That confused me as well, go back inside the arena, the waypoint is actually underground.

oh right, I see. Must have skipped that part since I was too invested in helping the dwarves constantly kill poo poo, thanks!

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

turtlecrunch posted:

Skellige made me think worse of Yennefer lol.

If you're talking about what I think you are, that's one of the parts that sold me on her. The actress did a good job on conveying her being so desperate to find Ciri she'll do anything. Then when the priestesses come to read you the riot act on loving up the garden she goes ahead and takes all of the blame.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah who would date a sulky, stubborn, taciturn woman?

Geralt would. :colbert:

Edit: I assume :thejoke:, and that they are made for each other?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 7, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I still don't understand why Yen would think Geralt dislikes undercooked meat while he is eating raw meat and wolf livers.

Broken Cog posted:

Geralt would. :colbert:

:thejoke:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

As pointed out above she had the exact same thing though.

I know but it was still a realistic reaction, which was my point.

Her point of view: "My boyfriend slept with my best friend again"

Obviously she's gonna be a little salty, even if it's not really his fault. But she never makes a big deal out of it and drops it right away if you do.

Davoren posted:

If you're talking about what I think you are, that's one of the parts that sold me on her. The actress did a good job on conveying her being so desperate to find Ciri she'll do anything. Then when the priestesses come to read you the riot act on loving up the garden she goes ahead and takes all of the blame.

Yeah I thought that part was good

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

poptart_fairy posted:

It's not that it's not an excuse, it's that he won't shut the gently caress up about it. She's allowed to be angry and then Geralt keeps deflecting her anger with "I didn't know". Yeah I'd teleport you into a lake too.

EDIT: And yeah, she also had amnesia and she didn't gently caress Lambert, so shut up and let her be mad.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 7, 2015

INDIGO_CYCLOPS
Mar 3, 2009

Scientists have ascertained that there may be as many as... 24 stars in the cosmos
Thought I was going to beat it last night, turns out there's more to it. The game that just keeps on giving!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I think I've sorted my crashing issues.

I fully reinstalled the game + dlc plus reinstalled my nvidia drivers and have used the following guide for my graphics:

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h3vx/having_performance_issues_with_witcher_3_read_this/

So glad that I don't feel the need to constantly quick save to avoid getting caught out by CTD. Of course, I still F5 every few minutes out of habit anyway :colbert:

So, regarding the Maid Bilberry defend-her-honour white knight guy...

I killed him and his cohorts in Novi - what was the alternate outcome?

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

This Geralt guy is not bad....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gESwcmGmYw

... not bad at all.

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
This goddamn game

Also finished the main questline around level 33, here's how my ending was:

Ciri leaves Geralt to be an empress. Geralt settles down with Yen and they spend the rest of their days breakfasting in bed and having long conversations. Nilfgaard wins the war, but Temeria becomes a self-governing vassal state. Skellige entes a new peaceful golden age under Cerys' rule. Sort of bittersweet in the end for Geralt and Ciri, although the more I think about it, it seems to be the best ending to me.

Also I love the relationship development between Geralt and Ciri, this game makes them feel like real characters. The digital acting is so good, especially in certain cutscenes, like when Geralt and Ciri decide to gently caress up Avellach's lab together.

One question though (ending spoilers): In my ending, it was still snowy. Does that imply that the White Frost was not completely overcome? Is it still a danger? I looked at the other endings on Youtube and there is no snow in those.

Also, cats.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Overdoze posted:

One question though (ending spoilers): In my ending, it was still snowy. Does that imply that the White Frost was not completely overcome? Is it still a danger? I looked at the other endings on Youtube and there is no snow in those.

no, but it's wintertime

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Get Junior quest:

I sure hope killing Whoreson doesn't cause some kind of Bad Ending value to increase just because the game writing thinks I did it because he'd been nasty to Ciri. No, I killed him because his mansion was full of murdered women for god's sake

However if there's one CRPG that evades the Mercy Is Always a Good Choice cliché, it's The Witcher

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Either way is pretty decent but what you did is the "greater good" ending

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Manatee Cannon posted:

Either way is pretty decent but what you did is the "greater good" ending

I can live with that. It makes sense too - yeah you're bloodying your own hands instead of living in the fluffy cotton cloud of being a Good Person - but you're leaving a raging murderous rear end in a top hat on the loose as the price.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Antti posted:

I can live with that. It makes sense too - yeah you're bloodying your own hands instead of living in the fluffy cotton cloud of being a Good Person - but you're leaving a raging murderous rear end in a top hat on the loose as the price.

If you're curious, what happens when you do what you did is Dudu takes his place and becomes an honest merchant, turning Whoreson's minions to a good cause and it helps the community to boot.

To my knowledge if you choose to go the other way, Whoreson lives as a broken shell of a man and later, when Ciri confronts him, she lets him live because it's a harsher punishment than killing him would be.

These are separate spoiler tags in case you don't want to spoil your own ending btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You're all wrong. The correct woman choice continues to be Shani and she's not even in the game.

Triss wouldn't give Alvin sweets, and there's no way Yen would.