Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I was wondering if Munch Squad would take notice of that Tim Hortons abomination. Wasn't disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

kidcoelacanth posted:

New episode of mbmbam, let's check the thread to see how much everyone hates russ instead

Please stay on topic! this is the "russ frushtick loving sucks and i hate him so much" thread

It's more that AwfulSquad could be a really, really good Polygon product. And it's so close, the potential is huge, the fans are wanting, all the pieces are lining up for a great series

and then russ pulls down his pants and shits on the table. Over and over again. Laughing every time he does.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/chrisgrant/status/887376182278336518

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I think y'all are getting too heavy on a comedy computer game stream. Yes, it's turned out so much better than anybody could have imagined, but that doesn't suddenly mean it should be dissected analysed and criticised like an HBO show written by a dozen professionals and directed by somebody pulling six figures.

Criticizing the little things is entirely missing the point that this whole thing is the work of four to six people who didn't set out to create a great let's play.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Asiina posted:

My only issue with later TAZ episodes, mostly in the last arc and the beginning of this one is how often Griffin sets up a very obvious course of action in this huge description with a lot of NPCs and then basically one of the players just goes "I do that" or "Yeah okay" and then he continues on to the next thing he's pre-written.

It's still good and it's obvious (also he's said it numerous times) that for Griffin he is exceptionally proud of this narrative that he's created and wants to get it out, but it makes me feel a little bad for the others sometimes for not having too much input into even the tone of the scene, even if the result stays the same.

Telltale are masters of this kind of storytelling, where you feel completely in control but it's all an illusion, you are going down the path that has been set for you. I feel like 11th Hour is the arc that most closely mirrors this (and is also my favourite) and if I had any critiques for TAZ it would be that. He could work on being slightly more subtle in his directing them to where he wants them to go.

I can't really blame him for being much more focused on that narrative now that it's coming to a close, though. Like, he let them have a lot of freedom early on, but now a lot of this is the culmination of what they did with that freedom. Guiding the guys to the Big Dumb Ending he's got planned is expected, IMHO.

Russ opinions: I stopped watching Awful Squad because it's not fun to me to watch people being bad at video games, but it also wouldn't be fun to not have Russ as a constant heel who's almost purposefully bad at the game. It's a real conundrum.

e: Russ driving his entire team into a hay bale and killing them almost instantly as a result is one of the funniest video game moments of the year. Russ can be good, but need to change up his shtick.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kenny Logins posted:

I think y'all are getting too heavy on a comedy computer game stream. Yes, it's turned out so much better than anybody could have imagined, but that doesn't suddenly mean it should be dissected analysed and criticised like an HBO show written by a dozen professionals and directed by somebody pulling six figures.

Criticizing the little things is entirely missing the point that this whole thing is the work of four to six people who didn't set out to create a great let's play.

:jerkbag:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

All I'm gonna say is the awful squad streams are poor replacements for Car Boys and soon, Touch the Skyrim

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

purple death ray posted:

All I'm gonna say is the awful squad streams are poor replacements for Car Boys and soon, Touch the Skyrim

We honestly got spoiled by Car Boys, I think. The sheer number of things to discover in that game was insane. There will never be anything like it again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I dunno, I think Let's Go To Hell is a pretty great followup to Car Boys so far.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I would pay $5$ a month to watch the stream from anyone else's perspective

I would pay $5 a month into a Patreon that financially supports Russ so long as he never does anything with the good Polygon content again. A Russ Tax.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Russ Frushtick is so loving terrible that that,combined with the giant bomb boys getting actually better at the game and their version of Russ being both more entertaining (in that,he is entertaining) and now more competent when he finally took other peoples loving advice, means that I don't see why Awful Squad really exists if Russ is a part of it. Especially when he's the goddamn cameraman so we have to watch him wander off alone, run away, or spend all his loving time in the loving tab menu over doing literally anything whatsoever.

Its especially bad because all they play are customs that have little to no stakes as actual games, so it makes Russ' insane boring badness even more unpleasant to watch.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Russlemania never ends.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hahaha I got to the end of that stream and Russ having the map pulled up when the guys crashed their car, jumped out and started shooting ...

I can't believe it wasn't a really good troll. It was just too perfect. He couldn't possibly be that dense.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Russ aside, I could listen to Simone de Rochefort laugh forever. That breakdown she has after accidentally jumping out of the plane is incredible.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Who What Now posted:

That... that was a joke, right? People don't actually do that, right?

I listen to my podcasts at like 1.2x speed. Theres just too many podcast I want to hear.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So listen to them. At some point you'll run out of podcast content, and you will look back at your hubris with despair.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Who What Now posted:

So listen to them. At some point you'll run out of podcast content, and you will look back at your hubris with despair.

the thing about most podcasts is that theres a new one every week, sometimes more. I already dont have time for all the ones I want to hear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I listen to all my podcasts, at once, at 10x speed. I bathe in my personal audio hell for one glorious hour every sunday and then I have the energy to set a homeless person on fire, as the voices advise me to do.

KoB
May 1, 2009
its always funny when people get irl upset that some folks listen to podcast a little faster.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I listen to 8 podcasts at once and let me tell you, The Serial Adventure Stuff You Should Bang Bang Zone has really gone downhill this arc.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The only decision that Griffin made in TAZ that really gets my goat was when he changed Taako's backstory so he wasn't responsible for poisoning all those people and it was instead some nefarious NPC who did it. It just seemed like it undermined a great part of Taako's characterisation. It also seemed a weird thing to do for the Temporal Chalice bit, seeing as if Taako was directly responsible, he'd have more motivation to use the chalice, instead of what actually happened, which is Taako immediately no longer caring once he was absolved of any guilt.

Of course, that's just a minor complaint and it doesn't really affect the quality of the podcast or anything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

KoB posted:

its always funny when people get irl upset that some folks listen to podcast a little faster.

There's "a little faster" and there's everything above 1.5x

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think my brother said he worked his way up to like 1.4 and it was just Alvin and the Chipmunks to me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I use Overcast and it plays things at 1.2 - 1.4 by default. I can't tell the difference except for some reason on live recordings of The Dollop, where it becomes unlistenable skipping garbage.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Serf posted:

I use Overcast and it plays things at 1.2 - 1.4 by default. I can't tell the difference except for some reason on live recordings of The Dollop, where it becomes unlistenable skipping garbage.

What the gently caress

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm the Dominic Toretto of podcast listening, the faster the better

KoB
May 1, 2009

Serf posted:

1.2x, I normally dont even notice or think about it until Im watching CGI/etc on youtube and the opening jingle is super slow.

Like I listen to TAZ and also rewatch bits on youtube later and I never really stopped and thought about how slow it was or anything.

KoB fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 19, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Gluten Freeman posted:

The only decision that Griffin made in TAZ that really gets my goat was when he changed Taako's backstory so he wasn't responsible for poisoning all those people and it was instead some nefarious NPC who did it. It just seemed like it undermined a great part of Taako's characterisation. It also seemed a weird thing to do for the Temporal Chalice bit, seeing as if Taako was directly responsible, he'd have more motivation to use the chalice, instead of what actually happened, which is Taako immediately no longer caring once he was absolved of any guilt.

Of course, that's just a minor complaint and it doesn't really affect the quality of the podcast or anything.

I actually kind of liked that bit, because "the chalice incorrectly concludes that Taako is motivated by fame, and is astonished to discover that, contrary to all appearances, he actually is capable of feeling guilt" is a delightfully goofy twist (and one that seems to suit Taako quite well).

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The latest Awful Squad is really horrific in terms of Russ's camerawork and whole scene, but I loved the whole 50/50 shirts vs. skins.

Also, Simone has the most infectious laugh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Angry Diplomat posted:

I actually kind of liked that bit, because "the chalice incorrectly concludes that Taako is motivated by fame, and is astonished to discover that, contrary to all appearances, he actually is capable of feeling guilt" is a delightfully goofy twist (and one that seems to suit Taako quite well).

yea the reveal of 'haha what dude you just told me this horrible thing I feel ashamed and guilty over wasn't my bad and you expect me to join you in loving things up because it'll let me keep my cooking show?' was a really solid route there.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

KoB posted:

1.2x, I normally dont even notice or think about it until Im watching CGI/etc on youtube and the opening jingle is super slow.

Like I listen to TAZ and also rewatch bits on youtube later and I never really stopped and thought about how slow it was or anything.
Yeah, despite my need for speed I am totally fine with the MBMBAM tv show at normal speed. Different preferences for different media I guess.

Glad to see some fellow speedsters, at least.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
To be honest I miss when Taako was played as just kind of a dunce or at least was this very pompous but also dangerously silly Wizard. I assume Justin sorta wanted to do a bit more than just be dumb so fair enough.

Also if they move onto other game systems or do the superhero thing like they've mentioned before, gonna miss Justin finding the weird rear end spells from D&D and reading the ludicrous descriptions out to the amazement of the rest of them (crown of madness in Petals to the Metal being the one that comes to mind straightaway).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

thebardyspoon posted:

To be honest I miss when Taako was played as just kind of a dunce or at least was this very pompous but also dangerously silly Wizard. I assume Justin sorta wanted to do a bit more than just be dumb so fair enough.

I think the chalice was actually a good justification for the personality switch. Taako was an amazing and famous transmutation wizard, then thought he messed up and killed a town. I can see him getting so down that he only sees himself as a dunce, a jester who amounts to nothing.

Then he learns it wasn't his fault and he's not stupid, and he steps out of his shell as the glamorous awesome wizard he once was.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I don't think Russ is as bad as people make him out to be. I also have the spicy take that Griffin seems really unfun to play videogames with since he gets kind of petulant and huffy instead of having fun.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Sincerely,

Russ

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

poor life choice posted:

Sincerely,

Russ

:frogout:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Kenny Logins, are you and Russ neighbors in your new homes in the sewer?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

poor life choice posted:

I also have the spicy take that Griffin seems really unfun to play videogames with since he gets kind of petulant and huffy instead of having fun.

I agree with this part but I think most big nerds get kinda huffy about games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just dont think russ is a big deal and I thought that awful squad was enjoyable for that being the first time i've seen one

the one "comedy playthrough" i thought was really bad on polygon was the Bidiots one, and that's only because the Quiplash one was so loving funny that Bidiots was a massive drop. but Bidiots is one of the bad jackbox games anyway

I'd love to see the staff do Superfight since it's on Steam and I feel like that sort of argumentative banter is the kind of Yes-Anding that they're very good at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRR1lK7vgw

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure a lot of hate for Russ is exaggerated for comedic effect, but the videos would undoubtedly be better to watch were someone who actually pays attention to, and participates in, the action actually streaming the game. He'd be just fine if he were just the dopey, ineffective teammate, but he can't even get good footage as a spectator, and all you do is spectate!