Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Casimir Radon posted:

Or maybe you're an idiot. I got pulled over for speeding a month ago, but was polite and got off with a warning.

-A White Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a teen the other teenagers I knew who got hassled by cops were all white (because nearly everyone in town was white). They were just surly. You aren't legally required to be polite to cops, but being rude to them doesn't usually help anything. Even lily white middle class folks can have a bad experience if they try to act like a bad dude instead of pretending to be a good citizen when cops are around.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Look, this thread doesn't have a gold fringe so any discussion of the Maritime police really doesn't belong here.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Goddamnit, was just trying to edit.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Hermetic posted:

Had a gun pulled on me by a cop at a routine traffic stop because he felt like being a big man. Twice. One of the reasons I dislike people being okay with excessive force when used on people they don't like.

I had two officers (in the same car) nearly cause an accident by pulling out of a parking lot right in front of me pull a u-turn and pull me over. Despite politely handing them my license and registration they chewed me out for the better part of 20 minutes, and finished with "if I ever see you in this neighborhood again I won't hesitate to put a bullet in your loving head." They threatened to shoot me on sight for no reason other than I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and made them look bad.

Complaint didn't go anywhere either - they sat on it for nearly 6 months (long enough for the dashcam footage to roll over itself) and closed the investigation due to lack of evidence, ruling in their officers' favor.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Casimir Radon posted:

Or maybe you're an idiot. I got pulled over for speeding a month ago, but was polite and got off with a warning.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ignoring your sad insults, I too have been pulled over by friendly cops. But it only takes one who decides to be a big man with a gun to make all the others not really valid. Oh well, enjoy your probation, maybe it will give you a cooling off period and you can stop being a rage-addled moron afterwards. :shobon:

Geoj posted:

I had two officers (in the same car) nearly cause an accident by pulling out of a parking lot right in front of me pull a u-turn and pull me over. Despite politely handing them my license and registration they chewed me out for the better part of 20 minutes, and finished with "if I ever see you in this neighborhood again I won't hesitate to put a bullet in your loving head." They threatened to shoot me on sight for no reason other than I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and made them look bad.

Complaint didn't go anywhere either - they sat on it for nearly 6 months (long enough for the dashcam footage to roll over itself) and closed the investigation due to lack of evidence, ruling in their officers' favor.

There's tons of videos made by people with hidden cameras trying to enforce complaints. The amount of threats, false arrests and stonewalling is terrifying. The problem isn't even entirely that Officer Fuckstick wants to take his divorce out on you during a traffic stop, it's that when you go to report it, Officer Shitbag is more interested in protecting Fuckstick than he is with making things right with you.

So, yeah, still not in favor of police using excessive force on anyone, even if I disagree with them. Even on a miserable idiot like Casimir.

I'd prefer to handle his beating and macing myself. :haw:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hermetic posted:

Ignoring your sad insults, I too have been pulled over by friendly cops. But it only takes one who decides to be a big man with a gun to make all the others not really valid.

No, it really doesn't. One bad cop is one bad cop. One good cop is one good cop. One bad cop doesn't ruin unrelated good cops, and one good cop doesn't redeem unrelated bad cops.

I, too, long for the day when we can turn law enforcement over to perfect emotionless lawbots, but until that day comes we have to make do with individual humans. It would probably be good to focus on better training and skills development for our fallible human police officers to help them live up to the high standards we expect of them.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, it really doesn't. One bad cop is one bad cop. One good cop is one good cop. One bad cop doesn't ruin unrelated good cops, and one good cop doesn't redeem unrelated bad cops.

I, too, long for the day when we can turn law enforcement over to perfect emotionless lawbots, but until that day comes we have to make do with individual humans. It would probably be good to focus on better training and skills development for our fallible human police officers to help them live up to the high standards we expect of them.

I mean that it makes them invalid because you're dead on the ground. I'm not saying I mistrust all cops because some hick had to be a big man, put your wagging finger away.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^In your case, one bad cop pulled a gun, but didn't shoot, so the point still doesn't work.

Hermetic posted:

Ignoring your sad insults, I too have been pulled over by friendly cops. But it only takes one who decides to be a big man with a gun to make all the others not really valid.

Sounds like the same thought process we mock freep for.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SocketWrench posted:

^In your case, one bad cop pulled a gun, but didn't shoot, so the point still doesn't work.

"Until the police literally kill you you can't complain about them."
:goonsay:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

SocketWrench posted:

Sounds like the same thought process we mock freep for.

Citizen SocketWrench, your crime is willful denseness. The sentence is death. :black101:

Geoj posted:

"Until the police literally kill you you can't complain about them."
:goonsay:

Or being brutally mocked by Geoj. Whatevs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hermetic posted:

I mean that it makes them invalid because you're dead on the ground. I'm not saying I mistrust all cops because some hick had to be a big man, put your wagging finger away.

Oh, sorry. I mistook you for a member of the ACAB brigade. :blush:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh, sorry. I mistook you for a member of the ACAB brigade. :blush:

Nah. An unacceptable amount of cops are bastards, but #notallcops.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hermetic posted:

Nah. An unacceptable amount of cops are bastards, but #notallcops.

#allcops choose to be cops and should be treated with heavy suspicion and executed for miscarriage of duty

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've always wondered why - if the number of dirty cops is so infinitesimally small - the supposed "good" ones don't clean house and either turn in or drive out the .00000000000000000000000001% that are giving them all a bad name.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I do not consent to this thread devolving into an argument about cops.

I DO NOT CONSENT!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Geoj posted:

I've always wondered why - if the number of dirty cops is so infinitesimally small - the supposed "good" ones don't clean house and either turn in or drive out the .00000000000000000000000001% that are giving them all a bad name.

Extreme tribalism heightened by perceptions of physical danger. Gotta protect your angry abusive lovely coworker against all criticism because what if hes the only person available as back up when poo poo goes south? If he was mad at you, or on desk duty, or fired it might be just you vs the lunatic hyped up on PCP with an AK. Or a ten year old with a plastic gun, but whatever.

Basically, tribalism leads to some hosed up decisions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geoj posted:

It's probably not all that small, and it isn't distributed evenly. So in a clean, competent, well-trained department, bastards have to be sneaky to do dirty poo poo, so everybody doesn't know they are bastards. In a poorly run department good guys will be corrupted or driven out, and the bad ones can be blatant as poo poo.

And there's probably legacy issues too. Like in Life on Mars when the modern cop is amazed at the stuff the 70s cops could get away with, and it wasn't even considered abuse or corruption or anything. Some old guys are going to remember when standards were different, and not agree with some of the changes. If young cops are mostly trained on the job by older cops, they are going to pick up those bad habits.

New cops ought to spend like 6 months at an accredited police academy before they get to work the streets. Modern policing is a complex, technical job.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's probably not all that small, and it isn't distributed evenly.

Oh I know, the lots of zeros after the decimal point was intended to be extreme sarcasm.

But to hear the police and their supporters talk its as if when a dirty cop is caught, tried and convicted we should all breathe a collective sigh of relief because the only bad cop in the entire country has been caught and brought to justice, and there couldn't ever be another.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Redlettermedias space cop also addressed the differences between police work I'm the past and today. And also the future.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What happened to you thread, you used to be readable.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
gently caress it lets talk about tipping while we are still in Shitsville

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

What happened to you thread, you used to be readable.

Someone created joinder with a coptalk thread or something.

We need to talk to a Constitutional Sheriff to set things right.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Always tip your officers

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would be more sympathetic to the cop haters if it wasn't super obvious you were totally butt hurt about some bullshit that went down in your own life, which I'm guessing you were partially to blame for if you think the thread that has spent almost 300 pages cheering on law enforcement is the appropriate place to have this discussion.

I say this as someone who has had bad experiences with the police. Either try to be funny about it or shut up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
But only if you stand up to wipe your uncircumcised penis after you pee sitting down then dont wash your hands

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
:sweep:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/06/post_12.html

quote:

Harney County Judge Steve Grasty on Tuesday beat a recall aimed at politically punishing him for standing up to occupation leader Ammon Bundy.

Unofficial final returns from Harney County Clerk Derrin "Dag" Robinson Tuesday night showed the recall failed 70 percent to 30 percent.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

each morning i go to the police department and shake every cop's hand and also i clap when the plane lands

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What??? But the Bundy gang were so certain that the local people supported them. How could this have happened. Zionist reptilians again, I assume?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

What??? But the Bundy gang were so certain that the local people supported them. How could this have happened. Zionist reptilians again, I assume?

The Bundys would say that he is a Gadianton Robber.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Judge Grasty is pretty cool. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of this story then check out how he recorded a meeting with himself, the local sheriffs, the COWS (Coalition of Western States for the purpose of supporting the Bundys), and Michelle Fiore here.

Basically, some rookie league state representatives from the flyover part of America think they have enough clout to push around some county level Oregon officials so that the Bundy clan can get their way and the response of the locals is: "gently caress you. We're going to offer Ammon Bundy and his posse the same deal we offered yesterday: a free ride to the state line." It's an hour long so if your time is worth a drat I did a half assed writeup here.

The short of it is that Judge Grasty is a dude with a law background who apparently agrees with Bundy on the idea of giving land back to the states. But because he understands how the system works, he is extremely resentful of a bunch of dumbshit yahoos marching in to his backyard and thinking they'll accomplish anything by waving guns around while talking about how they're the victims.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geoj posted:

when a dirty cop is caught, tried and convicted

You're adorable

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I do not consent to this thread devolving into an argument about cops.

I DO NOT CONSENT!

*breaks the window, drags you out of the car, sits on you*

The motto of the police is "To serve and protect", let me ask you, fellow goonsir, when was the last time you felt served or protected? You see, in other countries...

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's probably not all that small, and it isn't distributed evenly. So in a clean, competent, well-trained department, bastards have to be sneaky to do dirty poo poo, so everybody doesn't know they are bastards. In a poorly run department good guys will be corrupted or driven out, and the bad ones can be blatant as poo poo.

And there's probably legacy issues too. Like in Life on Mars when the modern cop is amazed at the stuff the 70s cops could get away with, and it wasn't even considered abuse or corruption or anything. Some old guys are going to remember when standards were different, and not agree with some of the changes. If young cops are mostly trained on the job by older cops, they are going to pick up those bad habits.

New cops ought to spend like 6 months at an accredited police academy before they get to work the streets. Modern policing is a complex, technical job.

Yeah, I know we should probably stop the coptalk, but, I just want to delve into this a little. I'm not really sure it's a change, honestly. Like, my dad was a cop during the 60s, and, yeah, he got away with beating the poo poo out of black dudes, "peter puffers" (his words, not mine), and hippies, and laughs as he talks about looting businesses that had been on fire, since the insurance was going to cover the lost goods anyway...But cops are still beating the poo poo out of blacks, trans people, gays, liberal protesters, etc, and how's filling the trunk with diamonds and guns from a burned-out pawn shop really any different than using Civil Forfeiture to rob people blind at traffic stops?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Please stop the coptalk. I am not interested in the Hermetic Therapy Show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I'm really good at unintentionally starting derails :(

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, hey, it's a troll I forgot to put on ignore! Thanks for the reminder, you useless dipshit! :3:

Iron Crowned posted:

Sorry, I'm really good at unintentionally starting derails :(

Discussions of politics often lead to discussions of power, and those who wield it. No big deal, friend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cumshitter posted:

Judge Grasty is pretty cool. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty of this story then check out how he recorded a meeting with himself, the local sheriffs, the COWS (Coalition of Western States for the purpose of supporting the Bundys), and Michelle Fiore here.

Basically, some rookie league state representatives from the flyover part of America think they have enough clout to push around some county level Oregon officials so that the Bundy clan can get their way and the response of the locals is: "gently caress you. We're going to offer Ammon Bundy and his posse the same deal we offered yesterday: a free ride to the state line." It's an hour long so if your time is worth a drat I did a half assed writeup here.

The short of it is that Judge Grasty is a dude with a law background who apparently agrees with Bundy on the idea of giving land back to the states. But because he understands how the system works, he is extremely resentful of a bunch of dumbshit yahoos marching in to his backyard and thinking they'll accomplish anything by waving guns around while talking about how they're the victims.

This is good. I hadn't heard this yet.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Facebook Aunt posted:

I was told that there would be a recall and the vote was fixed by the WHO. I didn't bother mentioning that Grasty is retiring in January, anyway, and his replacement has already been picked. Hope he can live up to his predecessor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
God drat michele fiore is a loving moron holy poo poo listen to that soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/opb/010916cowsmeeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

God drat michele fiore is a loving moron holy poo poo listen to that soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/opb/010916cowsmeeting

You can tell that Michelle Fiore got into office simply by being the person with an (R) next to her name willing to say the most extreme poo poo that election