Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Wow, I stopped paying attention to prices a while ago, so imagine my shock when I went to recommend a new video card to a friend with a dead one.

He plays some games, but not many. He had a 560 ti that was mostly ok, but was obviously starting to show its age, so he's looking for something faster. He's somewhat price conscious, but more than anything, just wouldn't get enough use to justify spending $500 on a video card.

Normally I'd recommend him a 1060, but since prices are insane there, I'm not sure what to recommend. I have no particular brand loyalty to nVidia, I just don't know anything about AMD's lineup.

We're not against buying something used, but we'd like something that will last us a good long time, as he doesn't upgrade often (obviously).

EDIT: Anything wrong with this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125901

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Azran posted:

Just one, I was just evaluating options because I'm paying double of what you pay for anything you may be able to buy in the US :v:

For 20k - I'm sure you can find someone to buy, build your computer and personally hand deliver it to you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tormented posted:

For 20k - I'm sure you can find someone to buy, build your computer and personally hand deliver it to you.

He's using the dollar sign to represent a currency that is not USD.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Oh, nice I hadn't come across that in my Googlin'.

edit: Looking at ebay for dd3 modules I see lots of them that say "For AMD CPU". WTF is that about?

Probably eBay sellers adding common search terms to their title to drive results.

Some architectures are picky about memory (both X99 and Ryzen were extra-picky at launch) but in general memory is memory and if your CPU supports running at the appropriate clocks/timings it mostly just works. Or at least will work at the official JEDEC specs (i.e. DDR3-1600 speed).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So at some point will there be a truck load of used 1060s on eBay?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

wormil posted:

So at some point will there be a truck load of used 1060s on eBay?

Yeah along with the 1070 and RX470/480/570/580, I expect the AMD cards to be selling for the cheapest prices.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Wow, I stopped paying attention to prices a while ago, so imagine my shock when I went to recommend a new video card to a friend with a dead one.

He plays some games, but not many. He had a 560 ti that was mostly ok, but was obviously starting to show its age, so he's looking for something faster. He's somewhat price conscious, but more than anything, just wouldn't get enough use to justify spending $500 on a video card.

Normally I'd recommend him a 1060, but since prices are insane there, I'm not sure what to recommend. I have no particular brand loyalty to nVidia, I just don't know anything about AMD's lineup.

We're not against buying something used, but we'd like something that will last us a good long time, as he doesn't upgrade often (obviously).

EDIT: Anything wrong with this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125901

Other than where it's $400+ for a sub $250 card performance. Pretty the extra $100 or so and get a 1080/1080ti. At least you won't be paying almost double actual value for the card.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Twerk from Home posted:

He's using the dollar sign to represent a currency that is not USD.

Yeah, my bad. The Peso doesn't really have its own sign like the Euro or the Pound, so I get how it could lead to confusion unless I specified "ARS". By the way, good news is that I actually got in touch with a couple of fellows here who do all transactions in dollars so that should make things way cheaper for me.

Regarding brands, is there any reason to choose one 1060 6gb over another? They've got Gigabyte ones in their stock, but I think that's it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azran posted:

Yeah, my bad. The Peso doesn't really have its own sign like the Euro or the Pound, so I get how it could lead to confusion unless I specified "ARS". By the way, good news is that I actually got in touch with a couple of fellows here who do all transactions in dollars so that should make things way cheaper for me.

Regarding brands, is there any reason to choose one 1060 6gb over another? They've got Gigabyte ones in their stock, but I think that's it.

The general reason for choosing specific brands is warranty. EVGA and ASUS are known for having good manufacturer warranties, but that may or may not apply. Sometimes there's specific reasons to get a particular brand or type of card, but that doesn't apply to the Pascal generation the 1060 is from. Then there's sometimes specific features in specific card models that you might care about, but if you don't have any in mind then don't worry about that.

With the above not applying or not relevant, the only thing you do want to check for is that it's an open cooling card and not a blower-style, because those cool less efficiently in most cases. Gigabyte 1060s should be open coolers by default and will be fine.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Silly question, but if my PC says that it has two slots for RAM with a max of 16GB, does that mean 16GB per slot or 16 total? I currently have two 4GB sticks in. I figure just replacing one with an 8GB stick to go to 12 should work on making some of my games run a bit snappier, or do I need to replace them both with the same thing?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Capsaicin posted:

Silly question, but if my PC says that it has two slots for RAM with a max of 16GB, does that mean 16GB per slot or 16 total? I currently have two 4GB sticks in. I figure just replacing one with an 8GB stick to go to 12 should work on making some of my games run a bit snappier, or do I need to replace them both with the same thing?

16 GB total.

8+4 should work. Just make sure the timings are the same if you're using gaming RAM (faster than 1600 for DDR3 or 2133 for DDR4), that's where you can get into trouble.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Paul MaudDib posted:

16 GB total.

8+4 should work. Just make sure the timings are the same if you're using gaming RAM (faster than 1600 for DDR3 or 2133 for DDR4), that's where you can get into trouble.

Speccy says I'm running 8GB DDR3 @ 798MHz. What do I need to look at when I buy? I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Capsaicin posted:

Speccy says I'm running 8GB DDR3 @ 798MHz. What do I need to look at when I buy? I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Go into the RAM tab, expand "SPD", and give us a screenshot of one of the slots.

Since you are at 800 MHz you probably have DDR3-1600 and anything should work. DDR is double-pumped so the actual frequency is half of the number in the name (1600/2 = 800 MHz).

Did you build this yourself? Anything pre-built probably comes with 1600. If you bought the parts yourself it could actually be faster RAM, there's a setting in the BIOS that enables "XMP" (or I think AMD calls it "AMP"). This allows RAM speeds beyond 1600, by default it's disabled so sometimes people forget it when they're setting up a rig.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Paul MaudDib posted:

Go into the RAM tab, expand "SPD", and give us a screenshot of one of the slots.

Since you are at 800 MHz you probably have DDR3-1600 and anything should work. DDR is double-pumped so the actual frequency is half of the number in the name (1600/2 = 800 MHz).

Did you build this yourself? Anything pre-built probably comes with 1600. If you bought the parts yourself it could actually be faster RAM, there's a setting in the BIOS that enables "XMP" (or I think AMD calls it "AMP"). This allows RAM speeds beyond 1600, by default it's disabled so sometimes people forget it when they're setting up a rig.

I did the whole "buy a refurb Inspiron from walmart and stick a video card in it" a few years ago. I basically just wanted to play a bunch of older games, DotA, and indie titles. Now PUBG is giving me issues every now and then and I figure it's time to add some RAM.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 6, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Capsaicin posted:

I did the whole "buy a refurb Inspiron from walmart and stick a video card in it" a few years ago. I basically just wanted to play a bunch of older games, DotA, and indie titles. Now PUBG is giving me issues every now and then and I figure it's time to add some RAM.

Yup, find some DDR3-1600 and it should work. Double check the timings but even still I wouldn't worry about it.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Grumpwagon posted:

I have an evga 980ti that I've just recently upgraded to a 1080ti within the last week that I've been dragging my feet about selling.. pm me if you think your friend might be interested.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Capsaicin posted:

PUBG is unoptimized poo poo, and unless you're running a beastly GPU and CPU, RAM quantity is almost certainly not the issue.
GPU vram almost certainly is where you'd be falling short on one of those perma-beta games; whether you can reasonably upgrade the gpu without the logical re-build is another issue.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Capsaicin posted:

I just checked and my desktop at work (Dell with Micron memory) has the exact same timings as your Samsung throughout the table. I'm guessing those timings are JEDEC standardized and any DDR3 1600+ will work. Faster speeds will also work at 1600 in fallback mode, so just get whatever's cheap.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Hey lads, been looking to upgrade an old i7-2600 system. I previously thought I could keep this rig going for a little longer with an EVGA 1080 SC upgrade and four more gigs of RAM on top of the existing 8, but my University course now requires me to use creation programs like Maya, Mudbox, Zbrush, After Effects, Premiere, Unreal Engine 4, Substance Painter 2, plus I have a growing interest in the emulation of systems like the Wii U, and testing PS3 games on RPCS3 has become a bit of a hobby lately.

I've noticed half of these applications tend to fill up every single inch of free RAM you have, and in After Effects especially, performance really hits a brick wall when it comes to previewing edits if you don't have a good amount of RAM. 3D rendering performance is uh, acceptable, but watching things take upwards of a minute to clear up in every IRay render is slowly eating away at my patience and my reasons to partake in this very expensive area of CG. Emulators tend to either use every bit of RAM or CPU performance they can get away with as well.

For gaming, I would say that the machine is still overkill for 1080p and even more than fine for 1440p/4k on older titles/current titles at 60-30fps, but for everything else, the slower RAM and older processor are really showing their age.

I was eyeballing a Ryzen 7 1700 after a very glowing recommendation from Digital Foundry for media creation purposes, and generally great reviews from everyone else around techie sites. Of course, the motherboard is too old so I would have to upgrade too, and that also means getting DDR4 RAM. Sounds straightforward enough but a few things have me concerned:

- I've noticed the Ryzen 7 1700 has a base clock of 3.0GHz. Despite the fact that the chip has double the physical cores, that seems like a pretty anemic number when most chips nowadays seem to reach 3.6/4.2GHz no problemo. Overclocking to 4GHz is possible but I don't think the motherboard I've picked is capable of reaching those numbers, plus I'm just not sure I want to be running the chip at that kinda speed all the time, unless there's something in the BIOS that lets it dynamically adjust under load to 3.7GHz or something. Am I buggering myself by upgrading to a chip that has a lower base clock than my old one and can't even surpass 4GHz on an overclock?

(I get that the answer is probably no on this one based solely on the number of extra cores, but smaller numbers still scare me in a future-proofing sense considering the amount of single-threaded focused applications that come out nowadays)

- I decided to go for the el cheapo stuff when it comes to RAM, eyeing quantity over quality. This is kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to frequency though, and on that same video Digital Foundry praised the 1700, they also seemed to stress the importance of faster RAM on application performance. Am I bottlenecking myself too much by picking 2133MHz sticks, and if I am, what's the sweet spot on frequency to dollars?

- I can't decide on a case of all things! I want something affordable with a handle to occasionally carry it over to my living room to play games on the big screen, form factor not really being an issue. Being in Brazil, my options are really limited, and a lot of mini-ITX cases I looked at are either not available or don't come with handles, so I'm dropping any pretense of putting this new system on a smaller case, I'm just looking for a handle. Any recommendations are more than welcome.

The final part list would look something like this if I reuse HDD's, Power Supply and Case, though if I went as far as replacing the mobo, memory and processor, I sincerely consider taking that step further and just replacing everything with a more pleasant form factor. The case really is absolutely awful, no easy access to the front fan or dust cover, and it's really bulky and heavy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OSad posted:

- I've noticed the Ryzen 7 1700 has a base clock of 3.0GHz. Despite the fact that the chip has double the physical cores, that seems like a pretty anemic number when most chips nowadays seem to reach 3.6/4.2GHz no problemo. Overclocking to 4GHz is possible but I don't think the motherboard I've picked is capable of reaching those numbers, plus I'm just not sure I want to be running the chip at that kinda speed all the time, unless there's something in the BIOS that lets it dynamically adjust under load to 3.7GHz or something. Am I buggering myself by upgrading to a chip that has a lower base clock than my old one and can't even surpass 4GHz on an overclock?

(I get that the answer is probably no on this one based solely on the number of extra cores, but smaller numbers still scare me in a future-proofing sense considering the amount of single-threaded focused applications that come out nowadays)

Ryzen 7 is an adequate gaming performer at the moment. It derives a lot of performance from its core count (finally 16 threads), its OC isn't awful but it's behind Intel quite a bit, and depending on the task it still has some IPC losses even vs Broadwell-E. This tends to manifest as lower averages, but the core count often gives it the ability to muscle through the "hard frames" better and deliver better minimums (basically better frame-time consistency).

Intel's HEDT chips and smaller chips clock to 5 GHz (25% higher than R7) and also have an IPC advantage (a decent 8% edge). The 7800X is as fast as Ryzen 7 at multi-threaded performance and smokes it with that 33% total advantage in single-threaded performance. It's the best of both worlds, and the 7800K isn't priced too badly - about the same as a 7700K. But downside: Intel hosed up the TIM and you must delid (or buy from a store/have it done at a service like SiliconLottery that delids). Just look at this horrifying chart from the Tom's Hardware review, that is the core temp spiking up to Tjunction before the heatspreader has even hit 30C. The 7700K has the same problem but it's more manageable without delidding. Unless Intel revises it with a soldered lid, delidding is mandatory. Once delidded though, it will go to 5 GHz on an AIO, just at 300W+ when overclocked.

Other downsides: tons of power, some bad partner boards that can't deliver that (turns out some board partners have been putting stylized heatsinks on the VRMs that act like insulators), and X299 is a chunk more expensive than cheap AMD motherboards. However, it's less than you'd think, right now PCPartPicker shows a X299 mobo for $212 and they will continue to come down as stock fills in. When Ryzen launched all the X370 boards were $250+ as well.

quote:

- I decided to go for the el cheapo stuff when it comes to RAM, eyeing quantity over quality. This is kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to frequency though, and on that same video Digital Foundry praised the 1700, they also seemed to stress the importance of faster RAM on application performance. Am I bottlenecking myself too much by picking 2133MHz sticks, and if I am, what's the sweet spot on frequency to dollars?

Ryzen really needs fast RAM clocks. The RAM clock also controls an internal bus that lets the cores talk, so it has much more impact than you would expect. You need fairly good memory to extract the most performance from it even then, it used to be fairly temperamental about timings but now it's somewhat better with the latest microcode.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 7, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Have to disagree with Paul on recommending a 7800X+X299 over a R1700+B350 from a budget standpoint.
The former combo costs over USD$200 more than the latter (not factoring in the need to buy a cooler for the 7800X while the 1700 comes with a pretty decent cooler).
That spread is likely to be even bigger in Brazil.

The 1700 overclocks to 1800X speeds comfortably using the pack-in cooler and at that speed, typically benches to within 10% of the 7800X@base for 1080p gaming.
And at 1440P and above, the differentials get smaller of course.

Online discussions of 7800X OCs have been centred around 4.5, and not 5ghz.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

4.5 GHz is what you can hit on air without delidding (with a heavy-duty Noctua cooler that weighs like 5 pounds, not a hyper 212). The chip can do more, it'll do 5 GHz on an AIO if it's delidded, der8auer has said as much, most reviewers have gotten it to at least 4.7 on AIOs without delidding but the thermals are very spikey there. Like I said, delidding is 100% mandatory unless Intel fixes the problem, but the performance is there.

And Ryzen can't even come close to those clocks nor the IPC. No, the 7800X can't compete on raw budget. But $200 isn't a terrible price to pay for a 33% improvement in single-thread-performance either, especially when you consider it as a fraction of total build cost. In a world where IPC gains are 5% per generation or less, you may end up spending quite a bit on a GPU to try and catch up with that missing performance.

Right now mobos haven't stocked in properly yet and there are probably still some platform teething problems to be discovered. Over the next couple months it's going to become pretty compelling as a platform.

Ryzen on 2133 memory drops from Broadwell to basically Ivy Bridge performance or less, it loses 15% to 25% even in thread-friendly games.

And the flip side of that is - Ryzen needs expensive Samsung B-die memory, Skylake-X will run great on commodity crap (even cheap gaming stuff like DDR4-3000 CAS15 is fine). That offsets some cost on the platform.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 7, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, getting 2933+ memory is a must for Ryzen but that's a 20 dollar increment from 2133+ memory at 2x8GB so it's not really a major cost factor.

If your recommendation is that the 7800X is only worth it if you're de-lidding, that's the money quote for the vast majority of people.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

SiliconLottery's lowest bin is 4.7GHz, and they only charge $20 more for 4.8.

5GHz is a very good chip but 4.8GHz should be common.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I was talking about air cooling w/o delid.

A SiliconLottery delid + a AIO from their QVL + shipping/import taxes to Brazil, you're talking about a USD400+ (or a 40%) delta over OSad's initial parts budget.
I'm kinda scratching my head that you guys are recommending this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shrike82 posted:

I'm kinda scratching my head that you guys are recommending this.

Remember what Sandy Bridge-E looked like at launch? All that high-clocking 2600K goodness but with 6 cores.

Remember the X79 SATA issues at launch? Or X99 with XMP speeds? Or Ryzen with memory stability?

There's performance gold in them thar hills, you just have to dig past the lovely thermal paste to get to it. Launch gouging is terrible, again including Ryzen's $250+ X370 boards at launch, but in 3 months stock will fill and this thing is going to be the poo poo. 5 GHz is an exceptional clock, this thing has great IPC and AVX512 for encoding/media, and the 33% performance improvement it offers over Ryzen is very significant for gaming.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 7, 2017

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Hey, thanks for the replies.

The big reason to go for AMD over Intel, even though I've never adopted an AMD chip in my entire life

shrike82 posted:

The former combo costs over USD$200 more than the latter (not factoring in the need to buy a cooler for the 7800X while the 1700 comes with a pretty decent cooler).
That spread is likely to be even bigger in Brazil.

really does come down to this. The 1700 already costs on average 460 dollars in this country due to whatever taxation or import tariffs they slap onto these pieces of metal at the border, not to mention the price hiking stores do to these products in order to turn a profit. Enthusiast Intel chips like the 6900k can cost you anywhere between 1500 - 2000$ and while a more modern i7 like the 7700 is on virtually the same price range as the Ryzen chips here, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to me to pay 450 bucks for less cores and less cache on a higher TDP (albeit with higher single-threaded performance). If we're getting down to brass tacks and comparing core numbers purely, the 1700's 450$ price tag compared to the 6900k's 1500$ price tag is a real no-brainer when it comes to the value of my dollars. Skylake X's 7900x costs as much as its predecessor if you can even find it stocked anywhere, and Kaby Lake X offerings will likely have hiked prices even though Intel has kinda mangled the chip's PCIe lanes, RAM slots and APU.

I am on a fairly tight budget right now, of around 900 dollars, so a more expensive x299 motherboard didn't seem like a good idea when just the motherboard can already eat away at a good chunk of it.

That being said, I have thought this over, and after reading your posts, I've decided to postpone this upgrade until Christmas. Looking at benchmarks from an i7 2600k versus a Ryzen 7 1700 seems to demostrate that even this 2011 chip still performs like a champ and keeps up with the 2017 platform in everything except very multi-threaded focused applications. Those happen to be my applications but I'm just not sure the performance gains justify the price, I really am looking for a substantial performance upgrade and if it'll have just felt like a placebo upgrade, I will have regretted dropping cash on this. It really does still handle games very respectably and my system can probably get away for another year or so with another cheap RAM upgrade.

Intel and AMD are just now getting back in the arms race so maybe it's prudent to wait for Threadripper to come out and see how the market evolves then. Spending money on an evolving platform that requires RAM sticks which would literally cost me hundreds of dollars to feel meaningful isn't a smart upgrade path.

Edit: Not saying that Paul MaudDib didn't put up a good performance argument for Intel chips but this talk of deliding isn't really encouraging for the end user. I can build a PC but I'm not taking a tool to my processor's cap just to get some marginal OC increments. Plus I really want a chip with more than four cores and AMD's offering seems very enticing on that front.

OSad fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 7, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OSad posted:

even though Intel has kinda mangled the chip's PCIe lanes, RAM slots and APU.

OK so let me get this straight, you're upset about Intel cropping some of the HEDT line down to 28 lanes, and you're going to buy Ryzen over it, a chip with 16 PCIe lanes? I see people making this argument all the time and I just don't get it, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

(fun fact: AMD cropped 8 lanes from Ryzen too. They just did it for all the processors rather than half of them.)

Also, the Skylake-X lineup all use all the RAM slots. Quad-channel memory is yet another thing the Intel HEDT platform does better than Ryzen.

Threadripper is a different ballpark of course. It's a much more potent workstation/light server lineup. But since it's basically a multi-socket-on-a-chip it's not going to beat Ryzen 7 in gaming, games don't scale well across sockets, and it won't use the currently-available coolers/etc thanks to that massive die size/heatspreader. It's basically a server Xeon, just like Intel's high-core-count i9 lineup, and those chips make very little sense for any sort of "work-hard/play-hard" usage. They are firmly in the workstation or "small server" market, not the gaming market, despite the marketing AMD is pushing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 7, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even if AMD gets super generous with Threadripper CPU pricing to undercut Intel, the specs on the X399 motherboards suggest those will be where you'll most likely spend the bulk of your money. Quad-channel DDR4, 60 PCIe lanes and 10Gb NICs don't come cheap. Also keep in mind Threadripper will have 4094 pins. That does not suggest 'affordability' to me.

And yeah, HSFs for Threadripper will be *very* expensive since they'll have to put out new designs since there's a good chance very little will cover all the cores up to the highest-end part.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

OSad posted:

That being said, I have thought this over, and after reading your posts, I've decided to postpone this upgrade until Christmas. Looking at benchmarks from an i7 2600k versus a Ryzen 7 1700 seems to demostrate that even this 2011 chip still performs like a champ and keeps up with the 2017 platform in everything except very multi-threaded focused applications. Those happen to be my applications but I'm just not sure the performance gains justify the price, I really am looking for a substantial performance upgrade and if it'll have just felt like a placebo upgrade, I will have regretted dropping cash on this. It really does still handle games very respectably and my system can probably get away for another year or so with another cheap RAM upgrade.

Zen+ is likely coming out early next year and should have all the platform bugs shaken out with additional clockspeed.

FWIW, I just built a 2nd PC for hobby machine learning workloads (1700 plus a 1080 Ti) to supplement my existing home desktop (i5 4590 + 1080).
I clocked to 3.7ghz out of the box and got 1800X-level performance and am seeing a 2X performance increase for my non-CUDA ML code.
From what I've seen of rendering benchmarks, you would get a similar boost in performance.

edit: and the other revelation from moving 4C/4T to 8C/16T has been that even when I peg the machine on all cores with a code run, I still can browse the web/watch videos etc.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 7, 2017

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even if AMD gets super generous with Threadripper CPU pricing to undercut Intel, the specs on the X399 motherboards suggest those will be where you'll most likely spend the bulk of your money. Quad-channel DDR4, 60 PCIe lanes and 10Gb NICs don't come cheap. Also keep in mind Threadripper will have 4094 pins. That does not suggest 'affordability' to me.

And yeah, HSFs for Threadripper will be *very* expensive since they'll have to put out new designs since there's a good chance very little will cover all the cores up to the highest-end part.

I'm not looking to buy a Threadripper when it comes out, just that it's next in the line of big reveals, and that generates competition. Not that I expect anything more affordable for the foreseeable future after that since Intel has already kinda responded to it with the 18-core behemoth in the i9 line, and that thing will cost a few mortgages off your pockets. The affordable solution is the Kaby Lake X chips I guess. The Skylake X family is an interesting alternative if I want lots of cores but again, it's hard to find the only option stocked right now and it's definitely out of my price range anyway.

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK so let me get this straight, you're upset about Intel cropping some of the HEDT line down to 28 lanes, and you're going to buy Ryzen over it, a chip with 16 PCIe lanes? I see people making this argument all the time and I just don't get it, you're cutting off your nose to spite your face.

(fun fact: AMD cropped 8 lanes from Ryzen too. They just did it for all the processors rather than half of them.)

I'm not upset over it, I already only use 16 PCIe lanes, and with no experience in using PCIe SSD's, using any more isn't really a prediction I can make for myself. It wouldn't matter to me buying the gutted Ryzen chips either.

I meant to say that, it doesn't matter if Intel modifies their chips in a way that would make them more affordable, they'll still end up costing the same as equivalent Ryzen chips in Brazil anyway, because sellers can probably get away with it being a "new product" off of the backs of people who just don't know any better. An Intel chip looks like an Intel chip even if the IGPU's been disabled or it has less PCIe lanes.

I wasn't taking a shot at Intel's lineup here. If it's good and affordable, I'll end up buying it.

OSad fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 7, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

OSad posted:

The affordable solution is the Kaby Lake X chips I guess.

If they make "X299 Lite" motherboards for them, sure. I could see a real market for those in the ITX and mATX form factor, and if X299 undersells I could see Intel offering board makers incentives to make them profitable.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't see a good reason to buy Kaby Lake-X unless you are a professional competitive gamer who needs that last 5% of single-threaded performance at any price and doesn't care at all about multi-threaded performance. Otherwise just buy a 7700K or 7600K, or accept the tiny step down in single-threaded performance and get SKL-X.

A X299 board with only 4 DIMM slots would be nice if it gets you a significant discount. That still gets you 1 dimm per channel on SKL-X, too, and the low-end SKL-X chips don't have enough lanes to make super high-end lane routing worth it. But I think there's a pretty substantial risk that if you start cost-reducing things like the VRMs then the overclockability suffers, and unless you're actually getting that last 5% then KBL-X is just pointless.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 7, 2017

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007

quote:

What country are you in?
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

US based. My son is working his butt off as a summer janitor in the school district for 8.15 an hour. He would like to build a machine that will run Overwatch well. I've built plenty of machines based on recommendations in this thread, but I've never needed to be as cost effective as I do now. Poor boy spent 2 whole days scraping gum off the bottoms of tables. We haven't picked out a monitor yet, but assuming something 1080p 27" since that seems to be the spot where price/performance begins to flatten.

I'm going to be giving him my 970gtx and 550w power supply to help ease the costs, so minus that and 200 for a monitor he has 550 left to pick remaining parts. Any help is appreciated.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

550 is actually a good budget for targeting overwatch if you're on a 970 already.
If that's all he's after a pentium chip and 8Gb will be fine and he can spend a bit more on a monitor - going over 60hz is good for overwatch.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If any of y'all live by a Micro Center, they're having a buck wild sale on Samsung SSDs today:

$150 for a 500GB 850 Evo SATA, $289 for a 1TB 850 Evo SATA, and $189 for a 500GB 960 Evo M.2.

There is a powerful temptation to drive myself further into debt today.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I am looking to get back into gaming again, after a few (well 15) years using only a laptop for studying and work. The last time I had a desktop it was a gift from my parents in 2002 - Think Compaq Presario 6000 and you get the idea.
  • What country are you in? Denmark - meaning I would prefer EU shops - UK/DE in particular. I very much doubt that any shops in Denmark would be cheaper.
  • What are you using the system for? Main-use would be gaming, web-browsing and loving around. Secondary use would be for small data scientist projects (R/Python)
  • What's your budget? I would like to keep it around 1500-1600$ (Mind you I am in Denmark where everything is loving expensive for some reason)
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I would like to get a new monitor as well, but again I haven't been paying attention since the next great thing was a 19" CRT flatscreen. As far as I can read in this thread the base is now 1080p, most try and build for 1440p and top-tier is 4K/VR systems?
For use-cases I would like to be able to run the following games as high as possible: Diablo3, CS:GO, SC2, LoL, Borderlands2.

I'm in a kind of peculiar spot where I know the games I listed don't require a lot, but I'm not able to state what else I want to be able to play as I have no idea if I'm not playing the newest games because my laptop can't run them or because I don't really have an interest in playing the newest games. But lets say I would like to try out some of the newer games that have come out - Thinking Doom, Fallout, PUBG, Overwatch and not run around in a stuttering mess.

I have tried to go through PCPartpicker and followed some of the advice in this thread:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (£209.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£143.73 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£144.36 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£419.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.50 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: £1201.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-07 13:47 BST+0100

Comments: I'm uncertain what the difference is between the different versions of motherboards - as I understand the OP, you need a Z270 to be able to run the RAM i choose at full speed, even if I don't want to overclock anything. Additionally, if I'm not overclocking should I get a non-K CPU? On top of that I can't really ascertain if I need that powerful a GFX or I could get away with a 1060 6GB?

refleks fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 7, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You didn't decide on a monitor resolution, but a 1070 is more than you'd need for 1080 (though supersampling etc means you can utilise it)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

You didn't decide on a monitor resolution, but a 1070 is more than you'd need for 1080 (though supersampling etc means you can utilise it)

No, I left out the monitor for pricing as well - I didn't include it because, again, I'm not sure on the GFX and I would assume that is the most important component in terms of whether I can go 1440 or "only" 1080 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Frankenfinger posted:

US based. My son is working his butt off as a summer janitor in the school district for 8.15 an hour. He would like to build a machine that will run Overwatch well. I've built plenty of machines based on recommendations in this thread, but I've never needed to be as cost effective as I do now. Poor boy spent 2 whole days scraping gum off the bottoms of tables. We haven't picked out a monitor yet, but assuming something 1080p 27" since that seems to be the spot where price/performance begins to flatten.

I'm going to be giving him my 970gtx and 550w power supply to help ease the costs, so minus that and 200 for a monitor he has 550 left to pick remaining parts. Any help is appreciated.

With the current video card drought, the 970 will probably be the most valuable part of the build. A quick look through PcPartPicker got me this list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $523.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-07 09:10 EDT-0400

For the remaining 25 bucks you can pick up a Windows key on somewhere like Kinguin.net.