Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't someone want to sue because they were "groped" in a VR space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah I really can't bring myself to do multi games in VR, having someone feel physically present freaks me out. Doesn't help that the vast majority of games are team-based, I'm a lot happier going solo and not having to worry about other people. Happily it looks like I'll have a buddy joining me soon, so I'm really excited to try out all the games I've missed. I think I've only played Ripcoil and Dead & Buried with mics off so far.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm about ready to toss this loving Vive through a window. I used the thing for months without an issue, but for the last few weeks I've been getting tracking errors where the display will stutter when moving my head. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find, like making sure the firmware was up to date, cleaning and reinstalling NVidia drivers (and reverting to a previous version), hiding all reflective surfaces in the room, cleaning and re-positioning the base stations, uninstalling SteamVR and reinstalling (and using the beta version), switching to another USB 3.0 port, closing unnecessary active programs, and turning off all the fancy SteamVR settings. Is there anything else I can do?

I have a 1080 Ti and 7700k, so the specs aren't the issue.

Take the cables from the Vive and directly plug them into the HDMI port/UBS 2.0 port on your desktop. In the SteamVR settings disable the pass through camera. If I route my USB through the linkbox I have some errors.

Using usb 2 works better for me than 3, disabling the camera helps, and directly connecting to the desktop instead of through the linkbox all help for me.

Also use process monitor/task manager and the SteamVR frame timing to make sure everything is working correctly the games should use something like 15-30% CPU and should be ~70% idle. Also using a tool like MSI afterburner to make sure your GPU load is also correct (probably like 20-50% at most). Slowly updating positions actually sound like more low frame rate then tracking issues. You can check the frame rate with Fraps as well (should be rock solid 90). If the Vive loses tracking the screen goes grey almost immediately.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 24, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm about ready to toss this loving Vive through a window. I used the thing for months without an issue, but for the last few weeks I've been getting tracking errors where the display will stutter when moving my head. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find, like making sure the firmware was up to date, cleaning and reinstalling NVidia drivers (and reverting to a previous version), hiding all reflective surfaces in the room, cleaning and re-positioning the base stations, uninstalling SteamVR and reinstalling (and using the beta version), switching to another USB 3.0 port, closing unnecessary active programs, and turning off all the fancy SteamVR settings. Is there anything else I can do?

You aren't using f.lux are you? If so, turn that off or into Safe Mode. This is what was causing my issues for about four months.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently you're supposed to be able to play normal steam games on a virtual screen in VR? But it never loads for me. What's up with that?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Didn't someone want to sue because they were "groped" in a VR space?

It was more like, some weirdo did a "study" to measure how uncomfy women would be if he groped them. Then the Tubmlr crowd wanted to sue him for even thinking of it or something.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Buca di Bepis posted:

I was having the same "stutter when turning head side to side" issue on Vive with a 1080 Ti and it was caused by the Nvidia 384 drivers (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6km6rc/has_anybody_had_problems_from_latest_nvidia_384/).

I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all traces of the 384 drivers, did a clean install of the 382 drivers, and the stuttering went away immediately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

So apparently you're supposed to be able to play normal steam games on a virtual screen in VR? But it never loads for me. What's up with that?

If you launch a normal game from the VR menu it should "just work".

If it's not, check this setting:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
ATTN Oculus users playing SteamVR games: Do not set your SteamVR supersampling above 2.4 as it doesn't increase the pixel density sent to the Oculus rift. You will need to set your Oculus supersample or a combination of Oculus and SteamVR to increase your pixel density beyond 1.62 Oculus PD / 2.4 SteamVR SS.
I started a thread on the Oculus forums hoping to get some kind of response from Oculus on the subject here: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/539200

I discovered this last week looking to see if the default 1.4 supersample in Oculus was multiplied by the default 1.4 supersample in SteamVR. The good news is that it doesn't, if you have SteamVR set to 1.0 and Oculus set to 1.0 you get 1406x1600.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

If you launch a normal game from the VR menu it should "just work".

If it's not, check this setting:

How do I access the VR menu? I'm using a Rift, and hititng the home button on my Xbone controller just brings up Oculus Home.

I tried launching from desktop, and the game starts while VR just displays a spinning screen.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

How do I access the VR menu? I'm using a Rift, and hititng the home button on my Xbone controller just brings up Oculus Home.

I tried launching from desktop, and the game starts while VR just displays a spinning screen.

I'm a Vive owner so I have no idea about the Oculus stuff, but there's been a lot of discussion of SteamVR use on Oculus in recent pages so I'd say look through that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Did you try the back button? SteamVR seemed to take over that button when I was doing rift stuff with an xbone controller.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Honestly if you want to play traditional games in a theater setting, I would just use bigscreen, move to one of the theater environments, and not bother with theater mode in steam. Bigscreen works really well, is free, has a bunch of different environments and theaters. If you have friends in vr as well you can play games while chatting and hanging out with them.

But yeah, if you really want to use the steam virtual cinema "back" on the xbone controller should bring up the steam menu. However I did just try and test it myself, and while i've done theater mode before, I couldn't get it to work now. I don't know if something is buggy with steam or what, but things just launched on the desktop and wouldn't load into the theater for me. Weird.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I really wish steam would just use a double tap of the guide button. Tap once for the oculus menu, then twice to close the oculus menu and then open the steam VR menu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its computers man what do you expect. Yes you're supposed to be able to do that. I guess something is wrong! Do some troubleshooting! :v:

Can you just launch steam VR first, and then open the game from within that? If its a non-VR game it should work that way. Don't launch it from steam, get into steam vr first.

Click the VR button on steam taskbar? Its on the right.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
With the Oculus, is there an easy way to set up different heights for demos, or is that just for the sensor setup and shouldn't matter for the end use once they're calibrated? In the Devkit, you used to setup 'profiles'.

I've only demoed the unit a couple of times, and I've noticed the floor depth was out / or the sensors were behaving strange. I wondered if it was because both instances had someone significantly shorter than me, and someone significantly taller than me. I haven't had this occur for myself however.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

I was having the same "stutter when turning head side to side" issue on Vive with a 1080 Ti and it was caused by the Nvidia 384 drivers (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6km6rc/has_anybody_had_problems_from_latest_nvidia_384/).

I used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove all traces of the 384 drivers, did a clean install of the 382 drivers, and the stuttering went away immediately.

Yep, this was it. The 1080 Ti seems to be a special case on top of being a relatively rare config so that made troubleshooting pretty hard - at least with the terms I was using. I had tried rolling back to a different version but I didn't roll back far enough.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I just set up a 3rd sensor, hard mounted my sensors to my ceilings, spread them out, used a USB extension/hdmi extension, and some ceiling hooks and I've got a pretty awesome 360 degree roomscale setup now. I am all in on VR. I've spent more than the pre-summer-sale price on all the games/addons I've bought with the rift bundle and it all feels totally worth it. It just took that price drop to get me to try it and see that it is indeed not even on the same planet as crappy phone VR.

Isometric Bacon posted:

With the Oculus, is there an easy way to set up different heights for demos, or is that just for the sensor setup and shouldn't matter for the end use once they're calibrated? In the Devkit, you used to setup 'profiles'.

I've only demoed the unit a couple of times, and I've noticed the floor depth was out / or the sensors were behaving strange. I wondered if it was because both instances had someone significantly shorter than me, and someone significantly taller than me. I haven't had this occur for myself however.

The height input in the initial setup is really just to get a floor measurement without putting the thing on the floor. You put in your height, then it calculates the floor by subtracting the height of the unit at the start of the in-vr setup from what you entered in at the setup and then saves that as the floor level. Any subsequent uses of VR should use that floor level setting to calibrate the virtual floor with your actual floor.

If tracking is wonky for people shorter than you perhaps your sensors are placed too high or are pointing too far upward.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
So my (Vive) headset is for sure broken, I'm about a month out of warranty too so I'm presumably going to have to pay for repairs, anyone have any idea what the repair/replacement process looks like for HTC? Am I going to be VR-less for several months while I wait for the turnaround?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Talorat posted:

So my (Vive) headset is for sure broken, I'm about a month out of warranty too so I'm presumably going to have to pay for repairs, anyone have any idea what the repair/replacement process looks like for HTC? Am I going to be VR-less for several months while I wait for the turnaround?

Welllllll there is a real thing to where it will cost as much to repair it as to buy an Oculus if the last quote someone posted was anything to go by. Is there any third-parties repairing these?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KakerMix posted:

Welllllll there is a real thing to where it will cost as much to repair it as to buy an Oculus if the last quote someone posted was anything to go by. Is there any third-parties repairing these?

The Apple way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Did you try the back button? SteamVR seemed to take over that button when I was doing rift stuff with an xbone controller.

Well, this started working. I'll have to try launching something from it soon, been so immersed in other stuff I forgot to try that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Talorat posted:

What is broken exactly? Could it maybe just be the cable thats out and needs to be replaced?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It's definitely not the cables, I meticulously went through and replaced every part of the system between the headset and the TV and the only thing that makes any difference is using a different headset. It appears that the headset fails to boot in some way, in SteamVR it shows as "Headset not tracking" but in actuality if you go to the developer options you can see that only some of the USB devices come online before quickly disconnecting and then repeating the process infinitely.

If it's going to cost more to repair it than buy a new one I may just attempt to crack it open and repair it myself. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be something obviously disconnected.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Talorat posted:

It's definitely not the cables, I meticulously went through and replaced every part of the system between the headset and the TV and the only thing that makes any difference is using a different headset. It appears that the headset fails to boot in some way, in SteamVR it shows as "Headset not tracking" but in actuality if you go to the developer options you can see that only some of the USB devices come online before quickly disconnecting and then repeating the process infinitely.

If it's going to cost more to repair it than buy a new one I may just attempt to crack it open and repair it myself. Maybe I'll get lucky and there will be something obviously disconnected.

Maybe someone else out there is selling their also-broken Vive?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Have you tried it on another computer? Sometimes USB is really dumb. I had a device that would show up in Linux but stopped working entirely in Windows.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did this get mentioned? Looks like you can preorder an oculus roomscale bundle for under 500 on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Roomscale-Bundle/dp/B0742X33DD/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Did this get mentioned? Looks like you can preorder an oculus roomscale bundle for under 500 on Amazon?

Well, the bundle is already $400 without the camera, so this is $56.88 plus sales tax for the third camera on Amazon.

Oculus is selling the third camera with no sales tax and free shipping for $59 on their site though: https://www.oculus.com/accessories/

... and I just got a third on their site.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That seems weird, only because its basically no different from just buying the bundle and 3rd separately. I don't really understand the benefit.

I'll be interested in seeing the new touch package when people start getting them though. No more xbone controller in the box, but I guess it has a redone foam pad that looks a lot fancier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KufiuL1FOM&t=1050s

Edit:

vvvvv :v:

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

That seems weird, only because its basically no different from just buying the bundle and 3rd separately. I don't really understand the benefit.

One click instead of two?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
in the future vr will be p. cool. its still p. cool now, but in the future it will be, too

https://www.oculus.com/blog/vrs-grand-challenge-michael-abrash-on-the-future-of-human-interaction/

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 25, 2017

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Delta-Wye posted:

in the future vr will be p. cool. its still p. cool now, but in the future it will be, too

https://www.oculus.com/blog/vrs-grand-challenge-michael-abrash-on-the-future-of-human-interaction/

Oh yeah man, I can't wait to see what people come up with. Right now it's like "Let's make Call of Duty but for my face monitor!!".

Wait until people start really experimenting with stuff like this and you get literally out of this world experiences which make enouch cohesive sense to be totally immersive.

The amount of blue ocean for VR is loving insane and I can't wait to see where we go.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Delta-Wye posted:

I really wish he'd spent more time talking about the issues of haptic feedback, which stands to me as one of the bigger design bottlenecks facing "true VR". Lack of tangible touch feedback and weight are real immersion breakers, and while I've seen some novel attempts at addressing them (an automated moving weight system, a sonic-based pressure generator, etc.) I haven't come across anything that strikes me as usable in a consumer sense.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Context posted:

Is there really no way to play Echo Arena with friends yet? That seems like a huge omission.

KakerMix posted:

The heck does Oculus software still not have friends lists that are usable or is that an Echo Arena thing?
Oculus are poo poo in this way and for some reason are just refusing to talk about any of the major features that are still absent from Home a year and a half after release.
Their content is awesome but they are being weird as hell about the actual platform.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Also, didn't see the latest episode of Projections (Tested's VR series) posted here yet - they look at the newly announced Marvel VR game, but more importantly they have an interview with Nate Mitchell which includes some stuff about Oculus Home, Rooms etc.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KufiuL1FOM

Basically it sounds like they're trying to put together a new version of Home that incorporates social stuff and so on (something Rooms-like, if not Rooms itself). More at OC4. That's in October though.

e: vvvI reed thred gud

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 25, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's like six posts up

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
BTW out of interest what app on Oculus is small and useless enough that people download it & replace it with a link to SteamVR?

e: 'Urban Zombie Hunter' it is.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Talorat posted:

Try skipping the linkbox. Connect the USB and HDMI cable directly to your computer. Just use the linkbox for power. Also connect to a USB 2 port, and turn off the camera. I used to have some similar issues occasionally, skipping the linkbox, using usb2 and camera has fixed it. I haven't had the issue in 6mo or so now. I'm also positive the issue was the linkbox, but you don't need to use it.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 25, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

El Grillo posted:

BTW out of interest what app on Oculus is small and useless enough that people download it & replace it with a link to SteamVR?

e: 'Urban Zombie Hunter' it is.

Looks like they are going to be adding linking to outside apps natively this newest patch:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/55356/third-party-apps-and-rift-1-17-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Looks like they are going to be adding linking to outside apps natively this newest patch:

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/55356/third-party-apps-and-rift-1-17-update/
Wow. I wasn't sure they'd ever add this.
Apparently any non-Home VR app is automatically added to Home when you launch that app. Including all the various SteamVR games which only use OVR not the Oculus SDK native. e: actually only some SteamVR games are being added to my Home library so don't know.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2017