Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A binder is used to flatten boobs when having boobs makes you uncomfortable. Family member went to a funeral with flattened boobs. OP is offended they didn't get to gawk at massive titties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh good this prick was quoted in full in the comments
AITA for blowing up at my nibling because they wore a binder to my mom's funeral?

quote:

My (30m) nibling (14) is nonbinary and them coming out caused an uproar in our family.

Our mother was the most distraught about the whole thing. My nibling was the first grandchild, and the only one so far, and my mother loved and spoiled them. She never approved of them being nonbinary, most because she didn’t want to lose her little girl. I don’t approve of them either, mostly because it seems like they’re going through something and needs actual help, not a gender change.

I’ll explain what I mean; my nibling came out about four months ago it’s like they’re a whole new person. They’ve had a massive personality shift. Suddenly they don’t want to wear make up, anything “too feminine”, and now wear a binder because otherwise they feel “uncomfortable”, despite never being uncomfortable with it before.

They don’t answer when their real name is called anymore, they’ll flat out ignore you unless you call them by their new name. It’s become an issue at school and they even walked out of their own birthday party because most of the people there used their real name.

I’ve voiced my concerns about them, but my brother-in-law dismissed it. However my mother’s funeral was the last straw. The funeral was two days ago and I’m still seething over it.

When we arrived and everything was going smoothly until my brother and nibling arrived. My nibling wore a dress, which was fine, but I noticed they were wearing a binder with it.

At that point I saw red. My nibling is well aware that my mother didn’t approve and you’d think they’d put this stuff aside for one day - their grandmother’s funeral - but apparently not.

I went over to the two of them and told them that if my nibling couldn’t be respectful then they’d have to leave, and that they were only welcomed back if my nibling dressed properly, if they took off the binder.

My nibling immediately started running their mouth and we and exchanged some choice words before their father took them and they left.

Most of the family is on my side, but some of the younger family members are telling me I went to far, but they’re parroting the same stuff as my nibling.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

gently caress this transphobe

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

That post feels weird because OP puts out that he obviously has a problem with them being NB or trans but throughout the post uses they/them pronouns correctly? With that level of anger I figured there'd be intentional misgendering.

Regardless, eat poo poo OP

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some people have their own personal limits when it comes to such things. “Fine, I’ll go along with the pronoun thing, but now they’re adding accessories?”

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"We're losing a girl in the family because they don't like having their massive milkies in everyone's faces" drat did I call it or what

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for saying something crass to my mother in law
NTA. If you call me even twice in a row, it'd better be about someone who is dead or dying.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Issaries posted:

I see that this goon hasn't slept next to an actual heavy snorer.
These aren't some cute noises she is making.
The earplugs are completely useless, when your spouse reaches the volume levels of a Humpback Whale.

Yeah the Reddit OP is acting like a complete shithead about it but as a heavy snorer due to sleep apnea (thank god for CPAPs) I was a loving health hazard to anyone unfortunate enough to share a room with me. My wife always reassured me that it wasn't that bad and she wasn't bothered but after being teased/threatened by roommates on road trips often enough I finally got a sleep study. We've both been sleeping better and been generally happier and healthier since - we didn't realize how much poor sleep due to my chainsawing logs was stressing us both out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CPAPs are awesome. If you have a rep as a snorer, get checked out.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

So many good titles lately to change it, but r/relationships: Idk why titties out was so important to your mothers corpse. would have been a hell of a good one.

mllaneza posted:

Seconded. You have no idea of the amount of restful sleep you’re missing out on, it’s life-changing (as well as potentially life-saving).

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not sending my “MIL” pictures of her grandkid without me in them?

quote:

My (28F) “mother in law”(62F) hates my guts. Nobody was ever good enough, myself included, for her son/my ex (35M). Her son and I were not married, but were together for 4 years. We broke up two years ago when he changed his mind about having kids. Well… I got pregnant & he has not been involved.

Nbd, I understand & I am fine doing it on my own.

I allowed his family to be involved despite their poor treatment of me in the past bc I think my kid (6mo) would benefit from knowing her extended family, especially since I don’t have much family. Well, it came to my attention recently that my MIL was taking the photos I send to her and using them as her own, claiming that I’m not an involved mother and that her son is raising my daughter. He’s literally met her twice and I had to drive to him both times.

So I stopped sending her photos that didn’t have both me and my kid in them. My SILs think I’m being petty. I’m on the fence… maybe this is stupid?

i still talk to these people bc i think my kid would benefit from knowing an rear end in a top hat and a bunch of rear end in a top hat enablers

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"We didn't want to lose our little girl!" You weren't, you still had your family member until you decided you really gave too much of a gently caress about her body parts and what they're doing with them. You were losing nothing. The person is still there, you gently caress.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mllaneza posted:

Seriously. Apnea runs in my family and we're all pretty low-key sure that it's why my cousin just stopped breathing in the middle of the night and left a fiancée carrying his child to make the call about turning off life support.

Sleep apnea kills. Get a sleep study, it could literally save your life.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Or just buy a cpap and titrate it yourself like I did. There a whole scam system set up around cpap stuff right now.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I dunno, I keep seeing these commercials insisting that a new surgical throat implant is a superior alternative to CPAP, and I always believe slick marketing

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

...! posted:

I dunno, I keep seeing these commercials insisting that a new surgical throat implant is a superior alternative to CPAP, and I always believe slick marketing

that and a brain chip and i'm READY FOR THE FUTURE, baby

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

A binder is used to flatten boobs when having boobs makes you uncomfortable. Family member went to a funeral with flattened boobs. OP is offended they didn't get to gawk at massive titties.

Oh, I thought it was the "binders full of women" kind of binder at first.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
CPAPs kick rear end and quite literally changed my life. Get tested (if you snore)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Nebrilos posted:

Oh, I thought it was the "binders full of women" kind of binder at first.

If I remember right, in that story the original poster admitted to his parents that he was gay, and the next time he came over to visit they had a binder full of men for him to look at.

But then I'm pretty sure there was a politician who used that term, but the other story was far more heartwarming.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cowslips Warren posted:

But then I'm pretty sure there was a politician who used that term, but the other story was far more heartwarming.

:mitt:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for getting angry at a girl because she chose to "brother-zone" me?

quote:

This incident happened 2 months ago, but when I brought it up as a joke, both my mom and sister said I was a huge jerk for what happened, so I wanted to get it straightened out.

I(17M) am an Indian American and I go to school in California, but since our school has a ton of Indian students we tend to celebrate Indian holidays at school.

One of these holidays is called Raksha Bandhan, it's basically a holiday that celebrates the bonds between brothers and sisters. Sisters tie a bracelet around their brother's wrists and this bracelet is called a rakhi: the rakhi signifies the mutual love and respect and forges a bond of protection, where the brother will protect and honor his sister and the sister will do so likewise.

It's a really sweet and meaningful ceremony, and I usually celebrate this festival with my ACTUAL sister, but some girls in my class have repurposed the rakhi for nefarious purposes. Essentially they go up to guys they don't like and tie rakhis around them to basically say that you're my brother so we can't date. It's a lovely version of friendzoning and the guy that this happens to gets made fun of, especially if it was his crush. It's how a girl would say to a guy who might be interested in her "oh you're such a good friend" but it's worse since she's calling you a brother by weaponizing the rakhi.

So on Raksha Bandhan day, I was at school wearing my sister's rakhi when this girl starts approaching me to give me a rakhi, it was obvious she was trying to bhai zone me, so I told her to stop it. I'm not begging her to date me or nothing, but she kept coming at me and laughing, so I let her put the rakhi on me, and then as I left the lunchroom I tore it off and threw it in the trash.

I guess someone must have seen me or something because the word spread, and she got laughed at a ton, and since a lot of the Indian kids are family friends also, my parents found out, and got super mad at me. I don't think I was an rear end in a top hat because the girls were misusing the ceremony to clown on and friend zone guys("Oh I'll never date you"), which is a lovely thing especially given that she wasn't even that pretty anyway, so I was just defending myself against her putting something on my body, but everyone thought I was mean.

Being a straight dude seems so self-defeating.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Specifically, it was what Romney used as evidence that his executive policy when governor of Massachusetts supported equal pay

It was such a notorious gaffe it has its own Wikipedia page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binders_full_of_women

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

"She wasn't even that pretty anyway" huh.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Midnight Voyager posted:

"She wasn't even that pretty anyway" huh.

And the fox said, "these are very sour grapes..."

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Very spiritual roommate blames me for everything

quote:

Hello everyone!

So I (22F) recently had to leave my flat and because I live in a city where affordable housing is extremely difficult to find, I am now staying at a flat for a temporary period (up to 3 months), until I find something long-term. The person who owns the flat is on vacation and she is subletting it to me and another person (33F) that she also found through social media. I met this girl a few days before the move in date when we went to drop off our stuff at the place and she seemed nice. I moved into the flat yesterday.

In the evening, I arrived and I was very tired (I had worked until 7 am the night before). I had plans to meet some friends so I was only there for 10-15 minutes, enough time to drop off my suitcases, use the toilet and then leave again. Before leaving, my roommate comes up to me and tells me that as soon as I entered the house, her body started aching. I was very confused. She said that she can sense my energy and that she can tell that I am not breathing enough, and that that made her feel down. I was so taken aback and just said "i'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel this way". She then proceeded to tell me about how she is a very sensitive energy who picks up on other people's energies. She went on for a bit before I told her I had plans and had to go. After I left, I sent her a text explaining that I did not feel very welcome and that although I respect that she is spiritual, I am not. Which means I do not really understand what she was telling me or what she expecting of me. I also told her that she cannot blame me for feeling down or for her body aching. She responded with a series of very long texts about how bodies are naturally atuned etc. I just left it at that and decided to enjoy my night out with friends.

Today, I was just cooking my lunch in the kitchen and I was feeling great. I then notice that she was sighing very loudly. She then sits me down and tells me that she cannot live with someone who "is not present in their body". Again, I was very confused as I thought I was quite relaxed today and was genuinely in a good mood which I told her. She was not having it and again blamed me for "subconsciously taking from her energy" She went on and on about energies and how she can sense that I am not "self sufficient" I honestly am at loss for words. I tried to explaij to her that I am fine and that I am not spiritual but she only talks in spiritual terms I never judge people for their beliefs and she is free to be spiritual. But I honestly felt a bit bullied. She blames me whenever she feels frustrated or even when she coughs. But I'm just minding my own business.

What to do? How do I get through to her?

found a roommate for vortex girl

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

"We're losing a girl in the family because they don't like having their massive milkies in everyone's faces" drat did I call it or what

I'm very mad I can't stare at my 14 year old relatives MASSIVE BAZONGAS energy

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for getting my friend fired over a misunderstanding?
snitches get loving stitches

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

idiotsavant posted:

snitches get loving stitches

Amen

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Very spiritual roommate blames me for everything

found a roommate for vortex girl

Nobody is energy self-sufficient. We all consume other organisms.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

The Lone Badger posted:

Nobody is energy self-sufficient. We all consume other organisms.

Not her. She subsists on her own farts

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Cloacamazing! posted:

YOU CAN WIPE THE JUICE OFF WITH A NAPKIN OR A FRY IF IT'S THAT BIG OF A PROBLEM

I HAVE PICKED RAISINS OUT OF CAKE AND IT WAS LESS OF AN ISSUE THAN THIS

Just out of curiosity, am I the only person who saw the capital letters and then read this in the voice of Death from Terry Pratchett's Discworld books?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
the forums need a [smallcaps] tag, for quoting death from discworld

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

This does sound like a really lovely thing to do.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Foo Diddley posted:

the forums need a [smallcaps] tag, for quoting death from discworld

SUBSCRIPT WORKS FINE

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cowslips Warren posted:

I get he's being all sour grapes as a teenager but what does this have to do with him being straight?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The_Franz posted:

This does sound like a really lovely thing to do.

It does sound like a bullying behavior, but "She wasn't that pretty anyway" is oof, he lost me really hard in the home stretch.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Cowslips Warren posted:

Weird take, dude.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

If I remember right, in that story the original poster admitted to his parents that he was gay, and the next time he came over to visit they had a binder full of men for him to look at.

It was even cuter than that - he told Reddit he was going to pretend to be gay so his parents would stop trying to set him up with women. Then they showed him the binder full of men and he went, "hmm."

And then he picked out a cute boy and had a love connection. Basically I am just waiting for the Netflix series to come out.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My boyfriend (28M) is disgusted at me (20F) for my (mostly eating/snack) habits and wants me to change them. Am I being too difficult?

quote:

first of all: i feel really weird for this but i have no idea where else to ask this stuff - so reddit it is. (also hi, new here lol)

so me and my boyfriend are dating for a little over five months. he recently kinda moved in - not officially and we havent exactly talked about it but most of his stuff is at my place and some is in storage. he sleeps most nights at my place and i just found out he gave up his former flat. he is a more quiet person so learning things about him a bit late isnt really new. (i dont mind most of the time - he is generally very sweet to me, just not talkative at all even about things you would think he would least mention asgfjf).
anyway, ever since he is with me most days he became kind of weirdly judgemental about little things. like he got very annoyed at me for leaving my wet toothbrush cup upside down on the sink to dry instead of towel drying it first. not wearing socks in my slippers, humming, getting the mail in my pyjamas. its mostly just small stuff and i just change my ways because i dont care enough about them to get into arguments.

about ten days ago he was with me when i was eating breakfast (he usually leaves before that) and he got REALLY disgusted at me when i put tomato paste on my bread. like full on disgusted, pulling faces and he got really angry when i took a bite while he was telling me how 'disturbing' eating tomato paste just like that is (on wholewheat bread that is). he kept turning his face away like i was eating a live rat or something. at the moment i thought it was almost funny just because of how super silly it is to get angry about i guess. like its just tomato paste. i know its not that common to eat on bread but its something i did since i was small. my family was super poor and i just kinda stuck to it. its no big deal i think.
he dropped that whole thing after and we havent had breakfast together since.

last friday though we went to a wild life park with my boyfriends colleague/friend and his wife. i packed for both of us, so i took water and made some sandwiches - turkey ones for him and for me (packed seperatly and wrapped in plastic so he would get any on his) mine which were just plain wholewheat with butter and tomato paste folded over. his coworkers wife saw me eating it and asked what it was (i guess because of the color?). my boyfriend got kinda startled, looked at my stupid snack and proclaimed awkwardly loud that its 'just a jello sandwich'. it was very very obviously NOT jello and like,,, it was so weird. i didnt want to make a thing of it so i just nodded along, even though it was very obvious that it wasnt true and his coworkers wife looked so confused.

my boyfriend asked me to come with him right after that and he got really mad at me for embarrassing him in front of his colleague. i got a bit annoyed too because i felt like he was talking down to me and i couldnt figure out why, so i asked him what the big deal is. he told me that i eat like 'an animal or a homeless person' and that 'eating non-sweet foods' (in general?) is 'manly' and disgusting for a woman. i didnt know where that was coming from but he went on to tell me that he couldnt believe that i was trying so hard to embarrass him that much and why i couldnt just drop it. i told him sorry and i didnt finish my sandwich.

now i dont really know what to do. i think its stupid to get that worked up about tomato paste (and my diet overall). but on the other hand its not like i cant live without tomato paste on my bread and i really dont want him to be ashamed of me. im just kind of worried that he will be just that even if i quit all the little things that he doesnt like about me.

TL;DR: my boyfriend is disgusted at me for eating tomato paste on bread as a snack (in public). i knew about his opinion beforehand but did anyway and now he is angry with me and i mostly feel weird.
(sorry if anything isnt making sense. writing in english is still new to me haha)

Neglecting to tell your gf you moved in with her is next level bad communication?? Is it still a “buried lede” if it’s in the first paragraph but never mentioned again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Neat, a stealth cohabiter that takes over your home and life. what a treat.