Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I did try rebooting and that didn't do anything. I'm familiar with that feature in older versions of Windows, and with them it's pretty obvious what program is using them. Here not so much.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Use the search option, enter the name of your locked file and it will tell you what is locking it.

EDIT: Unlocker is probably easier and more useful..I didn't realise that they had updated it to run on Win7

spog fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

internet inc posted:

I'm building a computer for my little brothers and one of them doesn't understand that you can't install whatever you like from fishy websites, so having two different Windows installs seems like the most logical thing to do, unless you have something else to suggest?

Give him a limited account and turn on parental controls. You can prevent installation of almost everything through local security policies as well. Harden the security by ensuring DEP and other security settings are on and you should be ok.

This would probably be easier to deal with than a second copy of Windows, because if he really needs something you can login as an admin account or install it on your profile and you don't have to install it twice or make sure he reboots into the correct copy of Windows.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I did try rebooting and that didn't do anything. I'm familiar with that feature in older versions of Windows, and with them it's pretty obvious what program is using them. Here not so much.

I pretty much am fighting my way through like ilkhan suggested, and figured out that if you double click on another folder, then drag the one I want to move, whatever it was that locked on the first folder lets go and binds the second one. I'm making it work, its just annoying.

Here is a screen print of it doing it with files that were legally acquired.

What was meant by AV or explorer is that when you select the files Antirirus or explorer is taking it's time inspecting the files but you are renaming or moving the file at the same time.

You can tell your AV to not scan files of that type, but the culprit is likely explorer's file preview feature. To make this change, click the Organize button on any folder, and choose Folder and Search Options from the menu. Click the View tab, and then check the Always show icons, never thumbnails checkbox.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

LoKout posted:

Give him a limited account and turn on parental controls. You can prevent installation of almost everything through local security policies as well. Harden the security by ensuring DEP and other security settings are on and you should be ok.

This would probably be easier to deal with than a second copy of Windows, because if he really needs something you can login as an admin account or install it on your profile and you don't have to install it twice or make sure he reboots into the correct copy of Windows.
Win7 Guest mode...
e; gently caress that feature got removed. Why the gently caress did they do that?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ilkhan posted:

Win7 Guest mode...
e; gently caress that feature got removed. Why the gently caress did they do that?

:raise:

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

:raise:

Guest Account and Guest Mode (SteadyState) are different things.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I have vague memories of parental control/restrictions not being that useful on WinXP (though I may be wrong) and am quite unfamiliar with Win7, so I must say I'm relieved to hear that.

Does this also block plug-ins installations (ie Firefox)? Is there any way he could go around the protection, unintentionally, and screw up the OS? Is it better to make a restricted account or just go Guest only?

I just got Win7 myself and it seems like everything is properly protected, am I wrong in thinking this?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is there a way to use the remote managment service to:

1: Change video settings...for some reason they are not available when connecting remotely

2. Change sound options. Again, the only choice is something calle "remote sound driver" or some poo poo

3. Not lock the system while I'm in it.

This is so I can control a computer in another room acting as a HTPC.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

LorneReams posted:

Is there a way to use the remote managment service to:

1: Change video settings...for some reason they are not available when connecting remotely

2. Change sound options. Again, the only choice is something calle "remote sound driver" or some poo poo

3. Not lock the system while I'm in it.

This is so I can control a computer in another room acting as a HTPC.

You'd need to use something like VNC or Logmein for this.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ilkhan posted:

Win7 Guest mode...

I think it was another of those 'we can't get it working properly in time, cut it from this version' things

FrozenShellfish
Aug 30, 2004

How do I turn off/down the internet security settings? I guess stopping me from running a .exe from firefox might be OK, but

is pushing it a bit. Same results when I try to run that file from explorer as admin. This can't be normal, surely?

e: not normal. Apparently some malware was causing this... I'm a bit annoyed at sophos for not picking it up. I guess the idea is to force users to turn all internet security settings way down in exasperation, then the nasty little thing can do as it pleases?

FrozenShellfish fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 17, 2010

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Sorry if this has been covered but I got this issue where in List view say if I have it showing 2 columns of files, If I click something in the right column, it will automatically scroll to the right making column 2 move into the column 1's position. I just can't seem to get used to this and am constantly double clicking something in the right column only to have it scroll a bunch. Is there a way to turn this off? I've tried Google but I can't seem to find the right key words for it.

Anyone? I feel like this was ignored.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Anyone? I feel like this was ignored.
Make the window wide enough for two complete columns? It only slides over if the whole column isn't being displayed. Also remember the column width is determined by the longest name in that column.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I've been playing Planescape Torment from GOG which works perfectly except that every time I exit it triggers the "Planescape Torment has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." dialog box. This isn't really a big deal but it's a little annoying, so I was wondering if there's a option somewhere where I can blacklist certain executables from triggering that message?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this is the right thread for this question. I have a computer with Windows 7 on it. It is connected through the internet wirelessly. It has an open ethernet port. Would I be able to connect a DirecTV receiver to that open port and have the computer share the internet with it? I looked through ICS stuff but it seems more for actual Windows computers connecting, not something like a receiver.

edit: ok so I spent 20 minutes the other day dicking around to figure this out, then today I just selected the wireless and ethernet, clicked bridge, and it worked instantly. Go figure.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 24, 2010

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Hey, quick question - is there a way I can view and edit all network shares on my PC at once?

I recently migrated my media server from 5 shares down to two (consolidated my data drives really), and now when viewed on the network, it still shows three of the old ones. But with nothing mapped to that drive letter, the I can't figure out a way to edit the shares.

Any ideas? Also, while we're here, how do I commander a homegroup? When I was living at my ex's parents place, her mom created a homegroup on the network, and since then, it follows all my systems around like herpes.

\/ Oh motherfucker, I've spent about 6 hours in Computer Management in the last few days too.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 25, 2010

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
^^
Edit: Right-click My Computer, Manage, then Shared Folders -> Shares.

abagofcheetos posted:

edit: ok so I spent 20 minutes the other day dicking around to figure this out, then today I just selected the wireless and ethernet, clicked bridge, and it worked instantly. Go figure.

Yep, I was going to tell you this. It's amazing how easy it is to bridge connections, even back in XP.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Odd, about 10 minutes ago Windows Genuine spazzed and said I wasn't running a genuine copy of Windows 7, then a few minutes later went back to being genuine. :raise:

Is this common? Never had it since I started running Windows 7 when it first got dished out over MSDN.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

gibbed posted:

Odd, about 10 minutes ago Windows Genuine spazzed and said I wasn't running a genuine copy of Windows 7, then a few minutes later went back to being genuine. :raise:

Is this common? Never had it since I started running Windows 7 when it first got dished out over MSDN.

I've never had an issue with Activation with XP, Vista, or any version of Office, but I've seriously seen the "You are not genuine" message like half a dozen times with Windows 7. Each time it has corrected itself.
Either a reboot, or I tell it to activate again online.

Installs that worked perfect every day for 6+ months would just pop up errors on a boot. No changed hardware or anything. It happened at least once on one of my Laptops, which I'm pretty sure hasn't had a bunch of hardware swapped.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I've never had an issue with Activation with XP, Vista, or any version of Office, but I've seriously seen the "You are not genuine" message like half a dozen times with Windows 7. Each time it has corrected itself.
Either a reboot, or I tell it to activate again online.

Installs that worked perfect every day for 6+ months would just pop up errors on a boot. No changed hardware or anything. It happened at least once on one of my Laptops, which I'm pretty sure hasn't had a bunch of hardware swapped.
It's been happening constantly today for me, I haven't rebooted in a few weeks so I doubt that's an issue. I'm guessing the activation server is crapping our to something today.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

ilkhan posted:

Make the window wide enough for two complete columns? It only slides over if the whole column isn't being displayed. Also remember the column width is determined by the longest name in that column.

gently caress I feel dumb as hell, I literally never gently caress with window sizes anymore, I bet windows xp did this exact thing too and I just never noticed because I had a tiny monitor always had everything maximized.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

gently caress I feel dumb as hell, I literally never gently caress with window sizes anymore, I bet windows xp did this exact thing too and I just never noticed because I had a tiny monitor always had everything maximized.
I never use list and had to open a window, change it to list, and play around to see what you meant. It was wide enough where only clicking the third column would do it. Thus figuring out a solution.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Figured I might as well go ahead and post my question, in case someone does in fact know the answer. Please let me know if this is more appropriate in the Windows Software thread.

I am going to be imaging/deploying some machines later this week and I have a question about default profiles under Windows 7. I know that back in Windows XP days, you could create a user account, set it up and then copy it to the default profile. More or less, method A from this link (this is the way I am used to):

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deployme...er-2008-r2.aspx

I now see that as part of Windows 7, this feature is no longer supported and Microsoft wants you to use Sysprep to deal with the default profile. However, when reading about it, I see this line in the above blog and get nervous:

quote:

It does not propagate all settings to Default User and there is no known documentation as to what will and will not be propagated. It also can be difficult to determine if a setting did not carry over to a new user because it was considered inappropriate (i.e. not copied to Default User by design) or is being reset by Minisetup/Specialize or first logon processes.

What I essentially need in the default profile is for a certain subset of software to be available to all users and a shared email account to already be setup in Outlook and Thunderbird. I don't care about screen savers, desktop wallpapers, Start Menus, etc. All I care about is ensuring all users of the computer will have access to this necessary email account and software (things like Office, VLC, Putty). Is the Sysprep method going to work for this, or will it strip out an email account that's already setup? Is there a more direct/easier way to do this that is similar to the XP way? I've read online that the XP way of changing the default profile can be done but leads to weird behavior.

All machines are running Windows 7 Enterprise. Users will be authenticating through AD, if it matters. No roaming profiles, all user settings stored locally to the machine.

Edit: The method that I have been reading about Sysprep and Windows 7 can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 27, 2010

fuzzyfeltarm
Feb 9, 2006

Touch my arm, It feels like felt. A patch of fuzz, above my belt.
Sorry if this has already been asked.

The OP talks about an x86 and x64 versions of Windows 7 that we should download. If i were to upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32 bit, then which of the two .iso's should i be looking for?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

x86 = 32-bit.
Switching to x64 WILL require a clean install. Period.
That said I'd never do an upgrade install anyway.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I was looking at an old game I used to love playing on my windows 98 and windows XP machines years ago, Sim tower. But when I try to install it (abondonware) on my vista and windows 7 64 bit machines it says that I cant run the 16 bit process. Is there a way to make the game run? Setting it in windows XP compatibility mode didn't change anything.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

FrozenShellfish posted:

How do I turn off/down the internet security settings? I guess stopping me from running a .exe from firefox might be OK, but

is pushing it a bit. Same results when I try to run that file from explorer as admin. This can't be normal, surely?

e: not normal. Apparently some malware was causing this... I'm a bit annoyed at sophos for not picking it up. I guess the idea is to force users to turn all internet security settings way down in exasperation, then the nasty little thing can do as it pleases?

Do you have some super paranoid settings in IE? In any case, for that specific file you can right click on it and go to Properties, at the bottom of that windows you will see something like "This file came from the Internet" and an Unblock button.

Dotcom656 posted:

I was looking at an old game I used to love playing on my windows 98 and windows XP machines years ago, Sim tower. But when I try to install it (abondonware) on my vista and windows 7 64 bit machines it says that I cant run the 16 bit process. Is there a way to make the game run? Setting it in windows XP compatibility mode didn't change anything.

No, 64bit OSs can't run 16bit applications at all, your only option is a full blown emulator, either XP Mode if you run Windows 7 Professional, or VMWare otherwise.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 27, 2010

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

peak debt posted:

No, 64bit OSs can't run 16bit applications at all, your only option is a full blown emulator, either XP Mode if you run Windows 7 Professional, or VMWare otherwise.

I still boggle at the reasons for this. Anyway, I'd say give dosbox+win3.1 a shot for stuff like simtower.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

LooseChanj posted:

I still boggle at the reasons for this. Anyway, I'd say give dosbox+win3.1 a shot for stuff like simtower.

Microsoft just didn't want to bother dragging a decades old environment with them for yet another hardware generation. Imagine having to deal with the compatibility issues of 15 year old VisualBasic 4 DLLs (the last version that supported 16 bit) in yet another virtualized directory structure. Then do all the testing required of that, with the support cases of people complaining about their undocumented features that were all the rage back in 90s development not working correctly. And all that while Apple happily drops backwards compatibility of applications just 0.2 OS versions old and nobody caring.

SysWOW32 is already held together by bits of duct tape in some places they didn't need 16 bit on top of that.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

peak debt posted:

Microsoft just didn't want to bother dragging a decades old environment with them for yet another hardware generation.

So how is requiring a VM better than supporting a 16 bit environment? That's what I don't understand. Sure computers are getting absurdly powerful, to the point where that a VM isn't an unpractical solution for nearly everyone, but it just seems like retaining the 16 bit environment would use less resources. And NT was designed with this poo poo in mind to begin with for pete's sake.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LooseChanj posted:

So how is requiring a VM better than supporting a 16 bit environment?

It sounds like not having to support it was the whole point.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a way to factory reset W7 without having discs?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

LooseChanj posted:

So how is requiring a VM better than supporting a 16 bit environment? That's what I don't understand. Sure computers are getting absurdly powerful, to the point where that a VM isn't an unpractical solution for nearly everyone, but it just seems like retaining the 16 bit environment would use less resources. And NT was designed with this poo poo in mind to begin with for pete's sake.

There are actual a number of ways the 16 bit VDM can be exploited under 32 bit Windows that are fairly close to impossible to patch and have it still run. Removing the VDM from 64 bit Windows neatly prevents dealing with that ever again.

Incidentally, the NTVDM WAS an emulated computer environment, just so you know.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

madprocess posted:

There are actual a number of ways the 16 bit VDM can be exploited under 32 bit Windows that are fairly close to impossible to patch and have it still run. Removing the VDM from 64 bit Windows neatly prevents dealing with that ever again.

Incidentally, the NTVDM WAS an emulated computer environment, just so you know.

Not only that, but your shiny new Core i7 still boots up as an 8086 emulator and remains that way until it receives an instruction telling it to do otherwise. :ssh:

Here's the famous example of why keeping things like NTVDM around can end up being a Very Bad Thing: this little beauty caused a fair amount of bother. The case for 16-bit support is more than demolished by the security benefits of leaving it out. IMO Apple had the right idea when they just told everyone to start again when OSX was released.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do I do this...

Anyone? This *should* be possible, but the option isn't listed?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Honestly though, it'd be really awesome if someone offered a NTVDM replacement for 64 bit Windows that allowed me to launch 16 bit apps directly and seamlessly. This is one of the reasons I support WINE for Windows.

I certainly understand why Microsoft won't offer such a thing.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

madprocess posted:

Honestly though, it'd be really awesome if someone offered a NTVDM replacement for 64 bit Windows that allowed me to launch 16 bit apps directly and seamlessly. This is one of the reasons I support WINE for Windows.

I certainly understand why Microsoft won't offer such a thing.

If you just want the DOS bit of NTVDM then you can use DOSBox. If you need 16-bit Windows apps then Windows 7 Professional (and above) include Windows XP Mode which supports 16-bit apps.

It's not like they haven't thought about it, and the Windows XP Mode thing is exactly what Apple did for running OS9 apps in OSX, although Microsoft's solution is significantly more elegant.

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis

vikingstrike posted:

What I essentially need in the default profile is for a certain subset of software to be available to all users and a shared email account to already be setup in Outlook and Thunderbird. I don't care about screen savers, desktop wallpapers, Start Menus, etc. All I care about is ensuring all users of the computer will have access to this necessary email account and software (things like Office, VLC, Putty). Is the Sysprep method going to work for this, or will it strip out an email account that's already setup? Is there a more direct/easier way to do this that is similar to the XP way? I've read online that the XP way of changing the default profile can be done but leads to weird behavior.

All machines are running Windows 7 Enterprise. Users will be authenticating through AD, if it matters. No roaming profiles, all user settings stored locally to the machine.

Edit: The method that I have been reading about Sysprep and Windows 7 can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289

I got thrown this at work when we first started rolling Windows 7 out, and ended up just going the sysprep root but, as the comment suggests, not everything is copied over like before. So long as you copy the profile as part of the sysprep file, any programs you install under the default profile (and any desktop icons) will be available to everyone who logs on. Start Menu configuration will be reset though, as will some other random things. The e-mail I haven't tried, but you can use group policy to automate that if you need to.

Anecdotally, the old XP method has *apparently* worked okay on a Terminal Server my boss configured, but it's still testing so I can't say for sure. Given Microsoft have disabled it by default they clearly expect problems, so I wouldn't advise it either way.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

rolleyes posted:

If you just want the DOS bit of NTVDM then you can use DOSBox. If you need 16-bit Windows apps then Windows 7 Professional (and above) include Windows XP Mode which supports 16-bit apps.

It's not like they haven't thought about it, and the Windows XP Mode thing is exactly what Apple did for running OS9 apps in OSX, although Microsoft's solution is significantly more elegant.

Neither of those is directly running a Windows 3.1 app side by side with other apps, with the actual exe not being inside a virtual hard drive. Unless there's some thing I can install for DOSBox so that I can double click a Win 3.1 exe on my physical hard drive and have DOSBox execute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

madprocess posted:

Neither of those is directly running a Windows 3.1 app side by side with other apps, with the actual exe not being inside a virtual hard drive. Unless there's some thing I can install for DOSBox so that I can double click a Win 3.1 exe on my physical hard drive and have DOSBox execute it.

DOSBox is perfectly capable of mounting local folders as a drive, and you can pass commandline arguments to it so that it will run a particular program on startup. I think you might have misunderstood what DOSBox is though - it's just a DOS emulator and nothing else.

As for Windows XP Mode then if the 16-bit app worked in Windows XP then it will work in Windows XP Mode. When an application is installed to the Windows XP Mode VDM it is added as an entry to the Windows 7 start menu. When you then run it from the Windows 7 start menu the XP VDM fires up and the application runs side-by-side with Windows 7 apps on the Windows 7 desktop - observe:

Click here for the full 1684x1054 image.