Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

El Duke posted:

A 60k income for a five person household is not going to get you a middle class lifestyle in America. Being below the poverty line isn't "Lower Class," either. It's the point where lower class stops.

Yeah, people forget that America isn't one town. There's a thing called "cost of living", it's different depending on where you live. A $60,000 income and $300,000 house are very different things depending on if you live in Kentucky or Washington, DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

60 grand a year is very comfortable for a family with 2-3 kids to live off of and have a standard middle class lifestyle.
Where? What part of the country? What state? Is it in a city? A major city? Or is it in the boonies? Or the styx? You can't really say things like this as blanket statements without considering where people live and what poo poo costs there. These things can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, so just imagine how much they vary given the entire scope of the country.

I would feel like a loving billionaire if I made 60 grand a year, but there are people who could live about how I do with the same money.

It really makes me feel for FCW call-ups who are making like, thirty grand a year and are forced to buy plane tickets and hotels every week. I honestly don't see how that doesn't wind up being a net loss.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
If I had a job I would so have more than two pairs of jeans. Oh man.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

Where? What part of the country? What state? Is it in a city? A major city? Or is it in the boonies? Or the styx? You can't really say things like this as blanket statements without considering where people live and what poo poo costs there. These things can vary wildly from neighborhood to neighborhood, so just imagine how much they vary given the entire scope of the country.

I would feel like a loving billionaire if I made 60 grand a year, but there are people who could live about how I do with the same money.

I was mostly going by the fact that, and I'm assuming that Lone Rogue was referring to his dad making $60,000 in the 90s here, in Ontario, where Lone Rogue lives, the median family income was $61,000 in 2005. So his family still would have had an average income even with inflation. Maybe the cost of living is ridiculously high in the car factory towns, I don't know. I apologize for generalizing, but I just want to establish that I'm not pulling numbers out of thin air.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. I just thought it was an interesting point of discussion.

quote:

It really makes me feel for FCW call-ups who are making like, thirty grand a year and are forced to buy plane tickets and hotels every week. I honestly don't see how that doesn't wind up being a net loss.

I hear that, especially considering the amount of wear and tear they have to put on their bodies, and the fact that they don't get any benifits from WWE. Oh well, I hear the catering is good.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I heard the catetings good too. And don't forget Steve Austin encouraging you to get another plate why not you are looking so thin.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

LividLiquid posted:

They probably look at it as an investment. You spend money, hopefully you'll make it big, then are rewarded back.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

FCW call ups are not making $30,000 a year. And they are not paying for plane tickets. Why do people say this? Lance Storm has said in the past WWE dealt with his travel with their in house travel agency to the point he often had no idea where he was flying to and sometimes where he had flown from when he went through customs.

When you are called up from FCW you still have your low base salary but you are now making a portion of the gate for shows you are on. You are going to make far, far more than your base.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't have any interviews I can call up, so I may be misremembering, but listening to F4W and the Observer every day and watching every shoot interview I can get my hands on left me with that impression. The volume is pretty high, so finding the exact few that mentioned this would be impossible. Again, I'd be happy to be wrong as I think if what I've heard is the case it's pretty disgusting.

And as I recall, Storm has often mentioned that WCW handled all his travel and paid for it but he had to cover it himself in WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I don't have any interviews I can call up, so I may be misremembering, but listening to F4W and the Observer every day and watching every shoot interview I can get my hands on left me with that impression. The volume is pretty high, so finding the exact few that mentioned this would be impossible. Again, I'd be happy to be wrong as I think if what I've heard is the case it's pretty disgusting.

And as I recall, Storm has often mentioned that WCW handled all his travel and paid for it but he had to cover it himself in WWE.

Lance specifically said that for WWE they dealt with his travel. So unless they took it out of his pay (which I have never heard) they were covering flights. Champions also get their flights upgraded to first class.

Typically wrestlers have to cover rental cars and short trips like that. That is why guys travel together to cover costs.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Lance specifically said that for WWE they dealt with his travel.
All I can say is that I pretty specifically remember him giving a contradicting answer on one of this Q and A commentaries.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Lance specifically said that for WWE they dealt with his travel. So unless they took it out of his pay (which I have never heard) they were covering flights. Champions also get their flights upgraded to first class.

Also, some guys who request upgrades to first class and aren't the top stars are told "OK" and the difference is taken out of their pay.

LividLiquid posted:

Someone called in to Wrestling Observer Radio and asked if the Nexus guys were only making their downside guarantee. The answer was "gently caress no", they've surpassed the guarantee and are making money off merchendise, TV pay, PPV, and house shows.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello, question not deserving of own thread checking in:

For years, I have been convinced that when introducing the Katie Vick angle, HHH called her a different name. I do not remember what it was, but I remember in the second week of the angle, I kept saying "Why did they change her name from the first week to the second?" Yes, I know, given that the name was apparently created to be a potential way to bring in Scott Vick down the line, it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been changed after the debut. BUT, given that I have not ever been able to find the infamous original promo where HHH accused Kane of murder/destroyed his career for years, I cannot be sure.

I would be more than happy for someone to immediately find the promo and prove me wrong, but every time I think I track it down on YouTube or wherever it ends up just being HHH talking about it on a radio show, or one of the later parts of the feud with HHH dressed up as Kane, or Kane lamenting his actions, or the final mash-up-of-the-whole-feud video package for their match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Also, some guys who request upgrades to first class and aren't the top stars are told "OK" and the difference is taken out of their pay.

On a tangent, I recall an odd story a few years back about a ref who upgraded to first class OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET and got torn a new one for daring to move up to a privilege he hadn't "earned". That was hosed up beyond belief.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Typically wrestlers have to cover rental cars and short trips like that. That is why guys travel together to cover costs.

colin delaney said that it was 100% paid for and handled by wwe when they were starting out his jobber gimmick and after he had signed full time.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

colin delaney said that it was 100% paid for and handled by wwe when they were starting out his jobber gimmick and after he had signed full time.

Also got a $1000 bonus check for his first night. :)

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Quarex posted:

Yes, I know, given that the name was apparently created to be a potential way to bring in Scott Vick down the line,

No, it wasn't. They needed a name and Stephanie was looking at the list of people they had in OVW and thought Vick would be a good last name.

Jerusalem posted:

On a tangent, I recall an odd story a few years back about a ref who upgraded to first class OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET and got torn a new one for daring to move up to a privilege he hadn't "earned". That was hosed up beyond belief.

Think about the kayfabe. Why would a referee be in first class and a superstar professional wrestler not be?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

No, it wasn't. They needed a name and Stephanie was looking at the list of people they had in OVW and thought Vick would be a good last name.

Think about the kayfabe. Why would a referee be in first class and a superstar professional wrestler not be?

Think about how many people would notice. Zero.

Airport fans don't actually exist Bobby Heenan.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Quarex posted:

Hello, question not deserving of own thread checking in:

For years, I have been convinced that when introducing the Katie Vick angle, HHH called her a different name. I do not remember what it was, but I remember in the second week of the angle, I kept saying "Why did they change her name from the first week to the second?" Yes, I know, given that the name was apparently created to be a potential way to bring in Scott Vick down the line, it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been changed after the debut. BUT, given that I have not ever been able to find the infamous original promo where HHH accused Kane of murder/destroyed his career for years, I cannot be sure.

I would be more than happy for someone to immediately find the promo and prove me wrong, but every time I think I track it down on YouTube or wherever it ends up just being HHH talking about it on a radio show, or one of the later parts of the feud with HHH dressed up as Kane, or Kane lamenting his actions, or the final mash-up-of-the-whole-feud video package for their match.

The first week, he said Fick. Every time after that it was Vick.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Tonight Randy Orton put David Arquette through a table with a powerbomb. When was the last time a regular (jackknife) powerbomb was used regularly in the WWE?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

Tonight Randy Orton put David Arquette through a table with a powerbomb. When was the last time a regular (jackknife) powerbomb was used regularly in the WWE?

Last Ride

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Does anyone have an idea about what kind of pay and benefits referees and other non-wrestling people make? While they're not doing the damage to their bodies the wrestlers are or drawing anything really (you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who went to a show just to see Mike Chioda and wasn't related to him), they're still doing all the travelling and working the same dates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure they're not making close to the money wrestlers are (especially since there is no merchandising benefits) but they tend to work several matches a night and have to be in pretty good shape and are a key component of making a match work, so I can't imagine they're not getting pretty well compensated.

Obviously somebody like Teddy Long is probably getting paid more in his current on-screen role than he ever was a referee, but I guess enough of them do it for long enough that there must be pretty serviceable financial compensation.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Faxman posted:

Does anyone have an idea about what kind of pay and benefits referees and other non-wrestling people make? While they're not doing the damage to their bodies the wrestlers are or drawing anything really (you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who went to a show just to see Mike Chioda and wasn't related to him), they're still doing all the travelling and working the same dates.

From what I understand, referees can't get insurance because they have pre-existing conditions where getting something as simple as getting shoved to the ground renders them unconscious for up to 10 minutes at a time.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure they're not making close to the money wrestlers are (especially since there is no merchandising benefits) but they tend to work several matches a night and have to be in pretty good shape and are a key component of making a match work, so I can't imagine they're not getting pretty well compensated.

Obviously somebody like Teddy Long is probably getting paid more in his current on-screen role than he ever was a referee, but I guess enough of them do it for long enough that there must be pretty serviceable financial compensation.

I think Chioda is part of the ring crew as well.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

(you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who went to a show just to see Mike Chioda and wasn't related to him)
Every TV taping at the Meadowlands I've been to has had "Mike Chioda Fan Club" signs. But I can't guarantee they aren't related to him. :smith:

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Kwik posted:

I'm sure Charles Robinson is, because I saw him helping take it down after a house show last year.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It was pretty cool seeing all the refs rush out at once at Smackdown/ECW/Superstars tapings to convert the ring between shows. They could have broadcasted all three live and not had a problem fitting the ring changes into commercial brakes.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Rusty Shackelford posted:

From what I understand, referees can't get insurance because they have pre-existing conditions where getting something as simple as getting shoved to the ground renders them unconscious for up to 10 minutes at a time.

Plus they have bouts of temporary blindness and deafness and have very limited attention spans.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Kwik posted:

Tony Chimmel is the head of the ring crew, for anyone wondering.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
I have a question about wrestling!!!

Why do some guys wear fancy pads over their boots (ie Punk or AmDrag) yet others do not? Is it just a personal preferance thing or are they harder to work with or something?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aren't those kickpads so that they can use a more kick based offense without breaking someone or their own shins? That's what I'd have to guess anyway. As for the guys that wear them that don't have a kick based offense I have no idea.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Just for decoration/to cover the laces I imagine, wrestlers don't get kicked in the shins very often.

I didn't think of kicking other people though!

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Aren't those kickpads so that they can use a more kick based offense without breaking someone or their own shins? That's what I'd have to guess anyway. As for the guys that wear them that don't have a kick based offense I have no idea.

Ah yeah. That makes sense. All that kicking would hurt after a while. Kinda obvious when you think about it really. Danke!

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

MrMondayNight posted:

Why do some guys wear fancy pads over their boots (ie Punk or AmDrag) yet others do not? Is it just a personal preferance thing or are they harder to work with or something?

Or if you listen to RVD, "It means you've wrestled in Japan."

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

El Duke posted:

Or if you listen to RVD, "It means you've wrestled in Japan."

Well now thats just silly. Crazy stoner.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I remember seeing someone post an article from WON about WWE worker salaries/bonuses a while ago, circa 2005, I believe, and very, VERY few of them had first class airfare (JBL, HHH, Cena, Taker...and I think that was it) and hotel included.
So yeah, while travel is covered, it doesn't mean everybody is necessarily traveling in LUXURY.

I also remember being shocked at how low some of the base salaries were.
This, along with how much people try to stay on the road working through injuries, leads me to believe money earned from PPV gates, merch, and House Show gates make up for a lot of it.
Meaning, if a guy sits on the shelf with injuries, not only is he paying for his own insurance out of pocket, but he's not earning money from being on the road or TV.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shiki Dan posted:

I remember seeing someone post an article from WON about WWE worker salaries/bonuses a while ago, circa 2005, I believe, and very, VERY few of them had first class airfare (JBL, HHH, Cena, Taker...and I think that was it) and hotel included.
So yeah, while travel is covered, it doesn't mean everybody is necessarily traveling in LUXURY.

If this is the magic list that I'm familiar with, it's wildly inaccurate and I think Meltzer has said so. But it comes up every time a salary discussion happens.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Yeah it was from a random newsboard and not the Observer, but like most fake newsboard stuff got credited to the Observer anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I had to guess, I'd say that Cena, Barrett, Kane, Miz, Orton, and Edge are getting first-class. On the same plane. WWE's next move will be making a buddy-comedy about their flight getting delayed and them having to race from Virginia to California in 48 hours to make it to the next show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MrMondayNight posted:

I think a lot of guys who have those fancy pads don't wear boots, but some kind of athletic shoe. Off the top of my head, I can think of Lance Storm, Waltman and Shelton Benjamin who did this, but I'm sure there are hundreds more.