Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Before I even got to rigeek's response I thought of puréeing. I'm not a huge onion fan either, although for me it's not the texture as much as the concentrated flavor of eating a bite of onion. I can handle it if it's cut small or cooked down into goo. Definitely chuck it in the food processor and blend it to paste! The flavor onion brings to stuff is totally worth the extra effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm a sheltered college student with absolutely no experience in cooking other than grilling chicken and making (lovely) omelettes. I want to add some fibrous veggies to the mix. My dorm has a shared fridge and a small kithcen with an oven and a microwave. There's a Safeway nearby so I can buy stuff, and money is not (mostly) a problem. Any ideas on what I can make while the chicken is being grilled/omelette is being omeletted? Keep in mind that whatever that comes to your mind I have no idea how to store and prepare it, so please include some advice or a link that would help me with that as well.

Thanks!

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

criscodisco posted:

Got quite drunk last night, and made some very sloppy mashed potatoes (among other things), that you'll probably all laugh at me for.

Boiled little red potatoes (with skin) in water and the fluid from rehydrating dried morel mushrooms. Then mashed them in a hot mixture of sour cream, heavy cream and butter, plus salt and pepper.

Anyway, any ideas for turning the leftover potatoes into something different? I've never done anything with leftover mashed potatoes other than warm them and eat them... what are my options?

Late to the suggestion party but also papa rellanas which is a giant fried ball of mashed potato with a loose spiced meat filling. Super amazing delicious. http://icuban.com/food/papas.html

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Drink and Fight posted:

Stuffed mushrooms! Just clean out the mushroom cap, glob in some potatoes, and bake for about 20 minutes. If you use big portobellos, you can make a little well in the top and crack an egg in. Also crumbled bacon or pancetta.

These were awesome! Had a carton (a pound, I think) of plain white mushrooms that happened to be jumbo, so fried up some ground sausage, then drained the grease and mixed in the mashed potatoes, and shoved a healthy dollop into each shroom, with a nice mound atop each one.

Topped with grated jarlsberg, and then

Tendales posted:

Melt a little butter, stir it into the panko, and mash it right on top.

and did that, and baked for about 15 minutes, and then broiled for about 3 minutes to really crisp up the panko and give it some texture. I basically attacked them like I've been on Survivor for 4 years.

Thanks for the help!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

UnfurledSails posted:

I'm a sheltered college student with absolutely no experience in cooking other than grilling chicken and making (lovely) omelettes. I want to add some fibrous veggies to the mix. My dorm has a shared fridge and a small kithcen with an oven and a microwave. There's a Safeway nearby so I can buy stuff, and money is not (mostly) a problem. Any ideas on what I can make while the chicken is being grilled/omelette is being omeletted? Keep in mind that whatever that comes to your mind I have no idea how to store and prepare it, so please include some advice or a link that would help me with that as well.

Thanks!
You can steam broccoli and most other vegetables in the microwave. Wash them, cover them with a damp paper towel (or don't, whatever) and microwave for 1-4 minutes. The vegetable is done when it tastes good and has yet to burn - usually this is when it's soft-ish. You can also roast pretty much any vegetables you want in the oven - cut them into equal-ish sized pieces, cover them in olive oil + salt and whatever spices you want (thyme, sage, parsley, rosemary, paprika, cayenne, pepper, oregano, basil, and nutmeg, but not all at once, are good options), and stick them in the oven at ~450 degrees until they start to get brown.

edit: also if you can grill the chicken and omelet the omelet presumably you have a stove? So you can cook literally any vegetables you want. Grab any cookbook and go to town.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

criscodisco posted:

Had a carton (a pound, I think) of plain white mushrooms that happened to be jumbo,
There are the same as cremini and portabello mushrooms! They're all just at different stages of growth.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
My sister wants me to bake a gluten-free cake for her wedding this summer. I already have a recipe that she likes, but there are a few ingredients that I have never worked with before. Sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum. I imagine I could get the first two at a place like Whole Foods (if it exists here), and xanthan gum maybe off the internet. My question is, has anyone else used these ingredients much before, and what do I need to know in particular about them, if anything?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can get the xanthan gum at Whole Foods as well.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kinmik posted:

My sister wants me to bake a gluten-free cake for her wedding this summer. I already have a recipe that she likes, but there are a few ingredients that I have never worked with before. Sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum. I imagine I could get the first two at a place like Whole Foods (if it exists here), and xanthan gum maybe off the internet. My question is, has anyone else used these ingredients much before, and what do I need to know in particular about them, if anything?

I don't know where you live, but I know my local Ralph's carries all three of them.

As per all flours and dry goods, keep them dry. Especially the xanthan gum. The stuff is potent so you don't need much of it get the texture you want and it is incredibly moisture sensitive. I keep mine in an air tight screw cap mason jar.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I'm in North Carolina. I did a bit of research, and there's no Whole Foods branch in my area, but there's a few other (apparently overpriced) health foods stores around.

Is it feasible to fly with already opened bags of those ingredients? It doesn't make much sense to me to have my family buy new products and then not have much use for them after I leave. While we're on the subject, what's their shelf life?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

kinmik posted:

I'm in North Carolina. I did a bit of research, and there's no Whole Foods branch in my area, but there's a few other (apparently overpriced) health foods stores around.

Is it feasible to fly with already opened bags of those ingredients? It doesn't make much sense to me to have my family buy new products and then not have much use for them after I leave. While we're on the subject, what's their shelf life?

Try looking in the health foods sections of a kroger. I know the one by me (in the triangle) has xanthum gum. I also would not try to fly with open baggies of white powder. Everything you listed has a long shelf life, like flour.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
re: xanthan gum your dough/batter will look gloopy and gross and not like dough at all. it is supposed to

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sweet As Sin posted:

In my quest for pasta substitutes I found this:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbpasta/r/Zucchini-Pasta.htm

Tried it today with carbonara. It is pretty good!

Edit: next time I'm gonna peel the zucchinis, the skin kinda ruins the pastalike texture.

I am 10000000% in favour of this, but spaghetti squash is really amazing for a carbonara.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for it, but without luck so far! Will try the market on Monday. Carbonara everyday, haha.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Sweet As Sin posted:

I've been looking for it, but without luck so far! Will try the market on Monday. Carbonara everyday, haha.

Lame! If you can't find spaghetti squash, buy some black bean pasta on Amazon (or in person, if you;re luckier than I am and therefore don;t live in nowhere Montana), it really is a great substitute for regular pasta.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I bought trotters instead of ham hocks to make split pea soup, since the smokey flavor wasn't well-received last time I made it. Do I need to do anything special to clean them? Is this a terrible idea?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I bought a bottle of cheater korma. Whats a good cut of beef that will basically cook in a sear then simmer 15-20 minutes?
Can i use the always reasonable trimming leftover "stew meat", or will i suffer from chewy korma? I'm roasting a tandoori style chicken, so i just want a second protein and some read meat.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks guys!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

toplitzin posted:

I bought a bottle of cheater korma. Whats a good cut of beef that will basically cook in a sear then simmer 15-20 minutes?
Can i use the always reasonable trimming leftover "stew meat", or will i suffer from chewy korma? I'm roasting a tandoori style chicken, so i just want a second protein and some read meat.

It will be chewy - that kind of time is not enough to break down the proteins and make it tender..

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea, but I'm thinking about spicing up my soups/stews by taking roasted veggies of some kind, pureeing them with a stick blender and then adding the mixture to the pot.

1. Is there any reason this is a terrible idea?
2. If no, any particular veggies work/don't work well for this purpose?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a new idea, but I'm thinking about spicing up my soups/stews by taking roasted veggies of some kind, pureeing them with a stick blender and then adding the mixture to the pot.

1. Is there any reason this is a terrible idea?
2. If no, any particular veggies work/don't work well for this purpose?

You will, by pureeing them, introduce some starch, and too much starch will lead to a mush, rather to something awesome, so avoid starchy veggies (potatoes etc), burnt bell pepper is awesome, as is burnt onions and roasted garlic. I wouldn't do it to leek (don't ask me why, but that just seems kinds... I dunno - but use the green of leeks (bouquet garni).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

It will be chewy - that kind of time is not enough to break down the proteins and make it tender..

Yeah, I had that derp moment, and got the stir fry trimming instead. :)

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I picked up a spiral cut smoked ham for next to nothing. Any good things to do to it besides stick it in the oven? Glaze it?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got a bag of these flat rice cakes to make chao nian gao, but is there any reason why I can't use them to make something like gungjung tteokbokki with them? Why do they have to be the round fresh ones that I always see? Is there a textural difference or something?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

You will, by pureeing them, introduce some starch, and too much starch will lead to a mush, rather to something awesome, so avoid starchy veggies (potatoes etc), burnt bell pepper is awesome, as is burnt onions and roasted garlic. I wouldn't do it to leek (don't ask me why, but that just seems kinds... I dunno - but use the green of leeks (bouquet garni).
Sorry, HH, disagree! Roasted leeks are absolutely delicious! They burn easily and don't take as long as the other good suggestions though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So it's finally getting about as cold as it's going to get in Houston, and it's going to be rainy all week. I'm thinking it's time to try rice and beans. The only ham hock I was able to find was a hickory smoked one at the supermarket.

I'm thinking of going for this recipe from Emeril. Any thoughts or other recipes out there?

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

My local asian grocery has had really good prices on king oyster mushrooms lately, and I'm looking for things to do with them that take advantage of their size and density. I've been slicing them thinly, rubbing with smoked paprika, salt, sugar and pepper and then frying them for soup, pasta, and on sandwiches. Any other ideas?

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Any favorite recipes that will win over someone who's not much of a tofu fan? In lurking this forum I've seen mapo tofu come up, but I'm looking for something vegetarian.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I was young and wanted to eat nothing but burgers and pizza, this fried tofu was one tofu dish my mom made that I actually didn't mind:
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/2-tofu-side-dishes

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shnooks posted:

I got a bag of these flat rice cakes to make chao nian gao, but is there any reason why I can't use them to make something like gungjung tteokbokki with them? Why do they have to be the round fresh ones that I always see? Is there a textural difference or something?

You can use those, they're the same thing. You will offend 5000 YEARS OF KOREAN HISTORY but it won't change the dish.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

When I was young and wanted to eat nothing but burgers and pizza, this fried tofu was one tofu dish my mom made that I actually didn't mind:
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/2-tofu-side-dishes

I agree, pan-fried tofu is the best. It gets very crispy on the outside and soft and pillowy in the inside. However I still make it very rarely because once it gets cold it suuuuucks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

You can use those, they're the same thing. You will offend 5000 YEARS OF KOREAN HISTORY but it won't change the dish.

It if makes you feel better about using them, Shnooks, Koreans use the rounds sometimes too.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 14, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Aradekasta posted:

Any favorite recipes that will win over someone who's not much of a tofu fan? In lurking this forum I've seen mapo tofu come up, but I'm looking for something vegetarian.

You can make mapo without meat if you wanted. The bulk of the flavor comes from the hot bean sauce. You can also make salt and pepper tofu. Perhaps deep fried then simmered in a slightly thickened rich vegetable stock with taro, nappa cabbage, and shiitake. Slice it into thin rectangles for hot and sour soup. Tom yum or tom kha is good with tofu, too. In pad thai or pretty much any thai curry (though these might suffer from lack of shrimp paste or fish sauce, nevertheless vegetarians still like it).

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 14, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
So I go to make an egg sandwich, get an egg out of the carton to fry, crack it open and... It's already soft boiled inside, or looks like it?

How the hell does that happen?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
someone started to boil it and put it back in the carton? it wouldn't happen under normal means, unless it's a fertilized egg or something and you're interpreting it wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fresh egg whites will be cloudy and dense. As will pasteurized eggs. Maybe you got one of those?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Saint Darwin posted:

I hate to be such an Alton Brown fanboy, but his episode on fondue is pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlgeiDgrVZE

Personally I grew up using kirschwasser

I ended up doing a simple one with some champagnge and stuff, but I'll try this again the next time we do it. Which should be soon since we have a mountain of chese. Thanks!

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Cuddlebottom posted:

I bought trotters instead of ham hocks to make split pea soup, since the smokey flavor wasn't well-received last time I made it. Do I need to do anything special to clean them? Is this a terrible idea?

You don't have to do anything special, but there's not much meat on a trotter compared to a hock. It'll give the soup flavor though.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Lame! If you can't find spaghetti squash, buy some black bean pasta on Amazon (or in person, if you;re luckier than I am and therefore don;t live in nowhere Montana), it really is a great substitute for regular pasta.

I live in central Mexico so I don't think I'll have much luck in person, sadly :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

Wotan posted:

You don't have to do anything special, but there's not much meat on a trotter compared to a hock. It'll give the soup flavor though.

I found with trotters I had to boil them for ages, then drain them (keeping the water for stock), then wait for them to cool, then spend ages taking out the fat and cartilage to leave not much meat. It was extremely time consuming. The meat is really good though and costs hardly anything from a butchers, I made a north african style curry with it and it was tasty but took 6 hours from start to finish and a lot of labor.