Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
:synpa:

have people started to receive their sansaires yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
lol nope

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

quote:

As we speak, your Sansaires are making their way from our factory in China across the world and to your doorstep. This is a huge milestone for us, as it represents our transition from Kickstarter to a real, operating business. We think we’ve succeeded in making a sous vide machine you will all be proud to display on your kitchen counter. Every one of you in the Kickstarter community made this possible.

Shipping, it turns out, is a complex process. Due to the overwhelming international support we received, we’re shipping to Kickstarter backers in 65 countries on 6 continents. (As a point of comparison, the Xbox One only shipped to 13 countries at launch!) To make the process as efficient as possible, we’ll be distributing the Sansaire from 4 different warehouses: Los Angeles, Vancouver, The United Kingdom, and Hong Kong. As you can see in the map above, each warehouse will service its own part of the globe.
Shipping Timeframe

On January 17th, four containers left our factory, headed to the port to be loaded and shipped to Hong Kong, Los Angeles Vancouver, and London. Once the containers land at their destinations, they’ll clear customs and be trucked to nearby warehouses where each case of Sansaires will be checked into inventory. Once the inventory check-in is complete, each warehouse will send out your individual Sansaires (including towels - we’ll post a sneak peek shortly!).

Because this is our first time through the shipping process, the exact timeframe is hard to calculate accurately. For example, when a new product enters customs in a country, it is typical to expect a longer processing time than on subsequent shipments. However, we’ve put our best estimates in a list at the bottom of this update, and we’ve been working very closely with our freight forwarders and shipping services to ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible.
VAT, Duties, Taxes & Fees

We’ve promised to cover fees associated with receiving your Sansaire for our Kickstarter backers (such as VAT, duties and others). Every country has different importation rules and regulations, which makes it impossible for us to pre-pay duties for all of our backer. By importing into the UK and Canada ourselves, we’ll be able to pre-pay VAT for those regions. However, for those of you who will be charged additional VAT fees to collect your Sansaire, we’ve setup a reimbursement procedure.

Reimbursement will be simple. Once you receive your unit, please fill out our VAT / Tariff Reimbursement Form, in which we’ll ask you to upload a photo of your receipt that shows any additional fees you were required to pay. We’ll reimburse those fees via PayPal, but please retain all VAT receipts until reimbursement is complete.
Next Steps
Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and UK, from left to right; Vancouver coming soon!Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and UK, from left to right; Vancouver coming soon!

Sit tight – your Sansaires are on their way! Once your order is shipped out from the warehouse, you’ll automatically receive a shipping notification email with a link to track your delivery. We recommend adding info@sansaire.com to your “not spam” list to ensure you receive this eagerly anticipated email. In the meantime, we encourage you to daydream about your first sous vide meal. You’ve earned it!
Estimated Shipping Timetables

Los Angeles Warehouse (Yellow Zone)
Depart from China: January 20th
Expected Arrival at Port: February 2nd
Time in Customs: 3-5 days
Time to Check-In at Warehouse: 2-5 days
Expected Shipping Begin Date: February 11th

United Kingdom Warehouse (Blue Zone)
Depart from China: January 21st
Expected Arrival at Port: February 11th
Expected Shipping Begin Date: February 20th

Hong Kong Warehouse (Purple Zone)
Depart from China: January 21th
Expected Arrival at Port: January 28th
Expected Shipping Begin Date: February 7th

Vancouver Warehouse (Red Zone)
Depart from China: January 29th
Expected Arrival at Port: February 13th
Time to Check-In at Warehouse: 7-10 days
Expected Shipping Begin Date: February 28th

so according to this i can expect it to ship FOR REALSIES

february 11th

jesus christ this was a stupid thing to back

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

a good goonstarter :)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why the hell would you spend 200 dollars on a kickstarter sous vide poo poo when for another 100 you could get a sous vide supreme.

also can't wait for the temperature indicator to be off on this sansaire poo poo and someone spends the next week pooping their guts out/dead

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

power botton posted:

why the hell would you spend 200 dollars on a kickstarter sous vide poo poo when for another 100 you could get a sous vide supreme.

also can't wait for the temperature indicator to be off on this sansaire poo poo and someone spends the next week pooping their guts out/dead

the sous vide supreme is way more expensive and less versatile. what u really want is the anova, which costs the same as the sansaire but is made by an actual lab equipment company and is actually shipping to people now and has been for ages.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

point still stands

"let me trust a random rear end in a top hat with a kickstarter to keep my food at slightly above dangerous temperatures for hours on end"

but the anova looks pretty cool. wish i knew about it when i was looking for real immersion circulators.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nelson MandEULA posted:

the sous vide supreme is way more expensive and less versatile. what u really want is the anova, which costs the same as the sansaire but is made by an actual lab equipment company and is actually shipping to people now and has been for ages.

yeh this is the thing i should have gotten

this is what i get for not fact checking with yospos

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
just loving cook meat with fire you idiots

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

just loving cook meat with fire you idiots

lol are you poor

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

transfatphobic posted:

lol are you poor

no i'm just not a loving idiot

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

no i'm just a loving idiot

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1 minute on each side for every cm thickness of the steak

let rest, cut up and eat.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Caged posted:

the only recipe anybody needs imo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

perfect

sous vide is dumb

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Caged posted:

slice the meat up and then it'll cook really fast. ever have steak-umms? delicious

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Caged posted:

no salting, no specified resting, no butter or herbs, implying only one flip

2/5

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

transfatphobic posted:

no salting, no specified resting, no butter or herbs, implying only one flip

2/5

1 min per cm flipping every minute if you want it clarifying. resting obviously depends on size and cut so i can't give a rule for that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Caged posted:

1 min per cm flipping every minute if you want it clarifying. resting obviously depends on size and cut so i can't give a rule for that.

5 mins is usually enough of a rest for most steaks

if its a real thick motherfucker and you have a heated plate/foil hat you can probably go 10

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

steakchat

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Caged posted:

steakchat

we can all agree that this is the most delicious of chats

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
i just microwave everything

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

transfatphobic posted:

its not ideal but its what people do all across the country. its insulting to say that "40k a year? haha you must live with your mom, loser"

sorry, let me clarify.

you either live with your mom, with 20 roommates, or in a trailer in mississippi because otherwise 40k is not enough to live on

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fwiw upper midwest 50k is basically middle class, and rent / mortgage is normally about 600-700 for a very nice two bed room or reasonably nice three

but also you're right cause did has roomates in addition to his g/f iirc

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Proteus4994 posted:

sorry, let me clarify.

you either live with your mom, with 20 roommates, or in a trailer in mississippi because otherwise 40k is not enough to live on

I live in London on ~$15k a year. I have two flatmates but it's a pretty comfortable flat.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't know what I'd do with $40k a year. I can't remember the last time I actually wanted something but couldn't afford it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pointsofdata posted:

I live in London on ~$15k a year. I have two flatmates but it's a pretty comfortable flat.

are you a wizard?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

prefect posted:

are you a wizard?

On reflection it's more like 22k but the point stands

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

pointsofdata posted:

we're talking about america standards of living are drastically different in other countries

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

still, are you a wizard?

also where abouts in london? swsomething?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

i mean, can you live on 40k/yr? yes

is it a comfortable life? no

should 40k/yr be a goal? maybe depending on your situation

should 40k/yr be a goal for someone with cs knowledge and a college degree? lol hell no

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my coworker moved from canada to the US a while back and his employer at the time furnished a guide to living in the US

from his description the majority of it was devoted to describing the american shopping habits, going once a week to a supermarket where all groceries are purchased then taken back home and stored in a LARGE REFRIGERATOR. now, you don't HAVE to make your purchase and preperation decisions like this, but americans will rely on their LARGE REFRIGERATORS

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Proteus4994 posted:

sorry, let me clarify.

i lived alone in a nice apartment in baltimore with a brand new car on $40k a year while paying off student loans on time

but youre right i guess i was poor as gently caress because reasons

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Caged posted:

still, are you a wizard?

also where abouts in london? swsomething?

Islington

Proteus4994 posted:

should 40k/yr be a goal for someone with cs knowledge and a college degree? lol hell no

sure for the last one but if you can't work out how to have a comfortable life on 40k you have a pretty serious entitlement complex

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

40k a year is roughly what the average right-out-of-college CS degree makes and thats exactly what happened with me

i make way more now but as a starting point it was pretty drat decent even with hilariously high rent. i was comfortable, ate well, got drunk way too often.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
egregious rule 36 violations all through here, just hand in your posting badges and make this easy folks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

i lived alone in a nice apartment in baltimore with a brand new car on $40k a year while paying off student loans on time

but youre right i guess i was poor as gently caress because reasons

you lived in baltimore

holy gently caress yes every normal white collar person in america is looking at that behavior (brand new car, lives in baltimore) and saying "christ what dire straits drove him there?"

the answer is: 40k a year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hubris.height posted:

fwiw upper midwest 50k is basically middle class, and rent / mortgage is normally about 600-700 for a very nice two bed room or reasonably nice three

the median income is around 26k, so 50k would be a household with two average incomes in a place with completely average living costs

so no duh that is basically middle class

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you lived in baltimore

holy gently caress yes every normal white collar person in america is looking at that behavior (brand new car, lives in baltimore) and saying "christ what dire straits drove him there?"

the answer is: 40k a year

baltimore has like 4 nice streets and i lived on 2 of them

the rest are hell on earth

what a weird and dumb city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

so here is the heart of it: average americans live like poo poo

but this is yospos so we all have computer careers and money flowing out of our ears and we argue about what kind of steak or beer to buy, not how the gently caress do we put food on the table

it is downright uncomfortable to confront how the average person lives. i suggest not making the attempt

• Locked thread