Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only reason Musou Stars wouldn't get released is rights issues, but Koei owns all their own franchise rights still in America so it should be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh maaan, there's so much good looking Warriors stuff that got announced lately.
Hopefully it's all as good as it looks.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Hopefully it's all as good as it looks.

All the games are exactly the same and 10 hours in you'll be wondering how Koei Tecmo managed to yet again con you out of $50. Even equipped with this knowledge I'm still getting Berserk Musou because I love the IP so much. That's how they get you.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I hope Achilles finds his way into Musou Stars. Legends of Troy was kind of garbage, but there's nothing quite like playing as Brad Pitt.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

o.m. 94 posted:

All the games are exactly the same and 10 hours in you'll be wondering how Koei Tecmo managed to yet again con you out of $50. Even equipped with this knowledge I'm still getting Berserk Musou because I love the IP so much. That's how they get you.

If you don't spend over 100 hours on every Warriors release you're doing it wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

How is Mario so successful? It's been the same game for 30 years!!!!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

o.m. 94 posted:

Do you even play these games

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Please tell me the depth and intricacies of the Dyntasy Warriors system.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dynasty-warriors-8/guide/

Approximate amount of time to platinum: 80-100+ Hours
Minimum number of playthroughs: 4 stories plus branching hypothetical routes, Chaos difficulty, Ambition mode, Other scenarios, and multiple replays of stages.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Xeremides posted:

I hope Achilles finds his way into Musou Stars. Legends of Troy was kind of garbage, but there's nothing quite like playing as Brad Pitt.

Well he made his way into Warriors Orochi 3, which confused the hell out of me when he showed up because I'd never even heard of that Trojan game they did. So I think there's a good chance they'll squeeze him in somewhere.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, Joan was in WO3 (and pretty busted) so hey.

Was she the only one? I'm still fairly early in that game, I'd think there'd be more since most of those characters wouldn't be out of place in DW if you changed their costumes and names.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Exmond posted:

Please tell me the depth and intricacies of the Dyntasy Warriors system.

Tricky. As the system tends to sway back and forth between 'changing things up' and returning to what the fans claim they enjoyed, whilst still advancing(to an extent) everything else. Currently the system can be regarded as in a mess, as battlefield control is the hardest it's ever been; the Morale system being too harsh, and you can't reduce the enemy's or raise yours appreciably since the kill bonuses have vanished. It really does become 'you vs everyone'-your allies have lost their power. Your only choice is the objectives. Not that the old 8-star system was anywhere near perfect.

The games have only appeared to be 'kill everything'. Generally, it's(After 'survive!') killing the right people in the right places(Normal troops too) to bring more dangerous generals under control, or fulfilling tasks that will also drop enemies to 'killable' and thus allowing everyone else to do what they're doing. While the movesets have become more and more powerful, with vast ranges on normals and far less risky charge attacks, the lesser troops have become far less dangerous since they stopped using playable movesets(Recall that Lu Meng WAS the Generic Pike moveset as the most obvious example), existing only to die in numbers and not even benefit you most of the time. This was not always the case. The differences in enemy action at higher morale vs lower morale were startling, and even under normal circumstances were capable of more in terms of offence(Though they often didn't).

Combat, though always simple(In the same way that Final Fight or Streets of Rage is 'simple') has become a lot less risky than it used to be.

...I'm sorry, I've just come off a bout of DW3, so it's turned into half-reminiscing. I am aware of the nostalgia goggles, here; You play DW8, or 8 Empires, then go directly to DW3, it's night and day.

In terms of combat, it's finding what works, then utilising it. Like 'Jump attacks are stupid fast and will beat a lot of things and knock down'. 'X character's C3 is a Stun'. 'Y character's C3 moves him far' 'Da Qiao can use her Jump Charge and the Dash Skill to fly across the battlefield'. 'Zhang He has very good aerial moves, so he wants to launch people often, but follow up with a normal jump, not the auto-follow up'.

Of course, getting a good item set is always the real issue. How to put it....in the old days, items were rando-loot and often uncommon. There is a VERY GOOD REASON why in 8 Empires, the Peacock Urn(+Health), Tiger Amulet(+Attack), Tortoise Amulet(+Defence), and Scroll of Alacrity(+Movement Speed) are default purchases, buyable at any time no matter what. They were and are the holy quadrilogy in terms of making your character do better both in the early stages and later on.

Game by game would be difficult for me to say, as my familiarity is limited.

From DW3 to 4; Kingdom play over character play(And even letting people like Yuan Shao and the Yellow Turbans get in on the act), with multiple stages to unlock, and differences within a stage set, based on what you did and didn't do(Both in the sense of 'what stages you play or didn't' and 'actions within the stage'. Easy examples: Kill Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang, and they don't show up in the last Yellow Turban stage. Dong Zhuo could turn up many stages later with an entire stage devoted to it if he survives Hu Lao Gate. Lu Bu could survive Xia Pi, and he'd keep turning up in Wei's later stages), bodyguards and a proper levelling system for them(Even allowing them Elemental attacks if you did it right), no rando-drop weapons(Instead you levelled them up by both killing officers and doing combos, giving combos more of a point), more tasks and events, balancing AI officers by making it so they could only buff up after a knockdown rather than whenever they wished(Wasn't always the heal, either; now they could get attack and defence buffs too), gates for normal troops actually switching sides rather than just being shut, Gate Captains no longer dropping defence/attack ups(I think it was health now?), Create-an-Officer, throws as Charge Attacks, counter-attacking, dueling, and even the fringes of a affection system(very odd system; You fought alongside people as you did various things in Musou and Free mode, you got friendship up invisibly. Attacking them brought it down. If there was room on the battlefield for them(They counted as a completely new general unit), and you got low on health, they MIGHT show up unexpectedly on the battlefield to save your rear end. I forget if a rival would show up if they hated you sufficiently). Also different characters having different amounts of item slots and having to level up to get more, which wasn't so great. Like warriors would start with only 1 and get up to 4, and less powerful characters getting 3-6 as they advanced. Many were in the middle, with 2-5. Create-a-characters always got 2-5, I think. Which meant a create-a-character with Ma Chao's moveset would be better than the actual Ma Chao, because he had the 1-4 slot growth.
What else? Oh, Jump Charge Attacks. Slow ground slam from the air that knocked people down.

DW4 to DW5; Experiments with Bases, providing various minor benefits and another way to heal-supply bases-though not always reliable), bodyguards changed up again(Instead of a small troop, they're now singular mini-generals), Musou Rage(Super Mode requiring a specific pickup-one of the properties of ultimate weapons is they auto-spawn such a pickup after 50-or was it 100?-kills), 'Evolution' attack(Only on 6-hit weapons-yes, we're back to rando-drop. Take your normal string from 6 hits to 9, only with a full Musou gauge-another reason to perhaps keep your gauge full rather than spend it. The extra attacks had no charge attacks associated with them). Experiments with differing properties of weapons; aside from elements, they could also have weight. 'Heavy' weapons were slower and did more damage, 'light' weapons were the opposite. Oh, and we're back to character based story modes. Big increase in troops about and draw distance(I think?), also. And they dropped counters, grabs, and dueling.

DW5-DW6: Everyone remembers Renbu. What they forget was the base system from here has been the basis of Empires games since. Bases with numbers of troops that need claiming. Consistent and reliable places to retreat and heal, if necessary, since all allied bases spawned healing items(Though to be fair, DW4 Empires was doing this; it just made it into mainline fully now). Bodyguards have gone, in place was levelling up your horse, also meaning everyone had access to that little extra mobility almost from the off. As the battlefields seem to be far more expansive, one could say it was needed. I think it was now that 'rescuing' officers recovered their health also came in. Actually being able to attack gates and things directly. Ladders. Story modes are still character-based.(This particular rundown is on 'observation' rather than 'owning the game').

DW8: Many weapons made their return; I forget whether it was 6 or 7 that had the Great Weapons Purge, where most of the weapons got chucked, in favour of having less weapons, and shared weapons, but having unique 'EX' moves to differentiate people. They kept the EX system, also. We're back to Kingdom Play, after a while without it. Also with multiple routes, if you do the right things. Ambition Mode...isn't new. As I understand it, DW7 had something similar. Multiple weapons to equip, and Switch Counters. I imagine these were from earlier too.

...Perhaps this is too many words on the subject. I've probably bored you.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 16, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nobody who says they're all the same has played the games first hand recently or ever.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've just played a whole bunch of RoTK 13 and then went back to 10 to compare. It's sad and strange that the debate and duel minigames are the worst they've been in the whole series, battle is slightly worse though that's due to an awful AI that is easily exploited instead of real design issues, but it gets everything on the strategic layer so right and its much better to play than 10. Council stuff and the new way diplomacy works are both fantastic additions, and if they just had used the 10 style debates, would've made this the definitive RoTK. I'd still rather play 13 than 10 simply because the PC interface is much easier to handle than the console one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The RPG mechanics in 13 are so terrible that it'll never get close to 10's quality. If you like ruler stuff that's fine but as someone who likes to spend a ton of time as an individual officer running around, doing quests, working on the city, meeting people, free roaming for items, and all that good stuff it just feels so much worse.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

what's the definitive officer RTK?

I think I've only played Ruler ones

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd say VIII for max sperg, X if you want something prettier.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Elliotw2 posted:

The only reason Musou Stars wouldn't get released is rights issues, but Koei owns all their own franchise rights still in America so it should be easy.

I hope that Tecmo still has the rights to all of their old poo poo. Rygar would be perfect for Musou Stars.

Also Tecmo Bowl grunts :henget:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I demand Bo Jackson.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My wish list is Bo, Millennia, and the twins from Fatal Frame 2 since thats the only FF I ever really played

EDIT: Went to look up what they owned and disappointed to find out Nintendo co-owns Fatal Frame. On the other hand got reminded that Monster Rancher was Tecmo so Hell yes something from that too.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 14, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is this going to be DW style or something else? Hoping it's like WO but crazier

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
the cast is going to be 90% Dynasty/Samurai warriors with some random other people.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
As they showed only the title characters from DW and SW and literally no one else I would bank against that. If they wanted to have 90% the same cast of Orochi this would just be Orochi 4. I would guess this is going to much more focused on KT collaboration with Warriors dudes only making up half or less of the cast.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they could collaborate to get more properties from outside KT, but I'm not complaining about what we already got.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm hoping for Geralt to show up to get me more amped for Nioh.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bloodly posted:

Tricky. As the system tends to sway back and forth between 'changing things up' and returning to what the fans claim they enjoyed, whilst still advancing(to an extent) everything else. Currently the system is in a mess, as battlefield control is the hardest it's ever been; the Morale system being too harsh, and you can't reduce the enemy's appreciably. It really does become 'you vs everyone'-your allies have lost their power.

The games have only appeared to be 'kill everything'. Generally, it's(After 'survive!') killing the right people in the right places(Normal troops too) to bring more dangerous generals under control, or fulfilling tasks that will also drop enemies to 'killable' and thus allowing everyone else to do what they're doing. While the movesets have become more and more powerful, with vast ranges on normals and far less risky charge attacks, the lesser troops have become far less dangerous since they stopped using playable movesets(Recall that Lu Meng WAS the Generic Pike moveset as the most obvious example), existing only to die in numbers. This was not always the case. The differences in enemy action at higher morale vs lower morale were startling, and even under normal circumstances were capable of more.

Combat, though always simple(In the same way that Final Fight or Streets of Rage is 'simple') has become a lot less risky than it used to be.

...I'm sorry, I've just come off a bout of DW3, so it's turned into half-reminiscing.

In terms of combat, it's finding what works, then utilising it. Like 'Jump attacks are stupid fast and will beat a lot of things and knock down'. 'X character's C3 is a Stun'. 'Y character's C3 moves him far' 'Da Qiao can use her Jump Charge and the Dash Skill to fly across the battlefield'. 'Zhang He has very good aerial moves, so he wants to launch people often, but follow up with a normal jump, not the auto-follow up'.

From DW3 to 4; Kingdom play over character play(And even letting people like Yuan Shao and the Yellow Turbans get in on the act), more bodyguards and a proper levelling system for them(Even allowing them Elemental attacks), no rando-drop weapons(Instead you levelled them up by both killing officers and doing combos, giving combos more of a point), more tasks and events, balancing AI officers by making it so they could only buff up after a knockdown rather than whenever they wished(Wasn't always the heal, either; now they could get attack and defence buffs too), gates actually switching sides rather than just being shut, Create-an-Officer, throws as Charge Attacks, counter-attacking, dueling, and even the fringes of a affection system(very odd system; You fought alongside people as you did various things in Musou and Free mode, you got friendship up invisibly. Attacking them brought it down. If there was room on the battlefield for them(They counted as a completely new general unit), and you got low on health, they MIGHT show up unexpectedly on the battlefield to save your rear end. I forget if a rival would show up if they hated you sufficiently)

DW4 to DW5; Experiments with Bases, providing various minor benefits and another way to heal-supply bases-though not always reliable), bodyguards changed up again(Instead of a small troop, they're now singular mini-generals), Musou Rage(Super Mode requiring a specific pickup), 'Evolution' attack(Only on 6-hit weapons-yes, we're back to rando-drop. Take your normal string from 6 hits to 9, only with a full Musou gauge-another reason to perhaps keep your gauge full rather than spend it. The extra attacks had no charge attacks associated with them). Experiments with differing properties of weapons; aside from elements, they could also have weight. 'Heavy' weapons were slower and did more damage, 'light' weapons were the opposite. Oh, and we're back to character based story modes.

DW5-DW6: Everyone remembers Renbu. What they forget was the base system from here has been the basis of Empires games since. Bases with numbers of troops that need claiming. Consistent and reliable places to retreat and heal, if necessary, since all allied bases spawned healing items. Bodyguards have gone, in place was levelling up your horse, also meaning everyone had access to that little extra mobility almost from the off. As the battlefields seem to be far more expansive, one could say it was needed. I think it was now that 'rescuing' officers recovered their health also came in. Actually being able to attack gates and things directly. Ladders. Story modes are still character-based.(This particular rundown is on 'observation' rather than 'owning the game').

DW8: Many weapons made their return; I forget whether it was 6 or 7 that had the Great Weapons Purge, where most of the weapons got chucked, in favour of having less weapons, and shared weapons, but having unique 'EX' moves to differentiate people. They kept the EX system, also. We're back to Kingdom Play, after a while without it. Also with multiple routes, if you do the right things. Ambition Mode...isn't new. As I understand it, DW7 had something similar.

I've been addicted to this series since Dynasty Warriors 2 and I really appreciated this post :)

I'm going to print it out and frame it.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not enough, evidently. I've just come to the realisation that W-Force games aren't for me. But Koei is dropping some quality stuff like Nioh and I very much enjoyed Nobunaga (it's like an 'arcade strategy' game); looking forward to try out ROTK too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bloodly posted:

Tricky. As the system tends to sway back and forth between 'changing things up' and returning to what the fans claim they enjoyed, whilst still advancing(to an extent) everything else. Currently the system can be regarded as in a mess, as battlefield control is the hardest it's ever been; the Morale system being too harsh, and you can't reduce the enemy's or raise yours appreciably since the kill bonuses have vanished. It really does become 'you vs everyone'-your allies have lost their power. Your only choice is the objectives. Not that the old 8-star system was anywhere near perfect.

The games have only appeared to be 'kill everything'. Generally, it's(After 'survive!') killing the right people in the right places(Normal troops too) to bring more dangerous generals under control, or fulfilling tasks that will also drop enemies to 'killable' and thus allowing everyone else to do what they're doing. While the movesets have become more and more powerful, with vast ranges on normals and far less risky charge attacks, the lesser troops have become far less dangerous since they stopped using playable movesets(Recall that Lu Meng WAS the Generic Pike moveset as the most obvious example), existing only to die in numbers and not even benefit you most of the time. This was not always the case. The differences in enemy action at higher morale vs lower morale were startling, and even under normal circumstances were capable of more in terms of offence(Though they often didn't).

...I'm sorry, I've just come off a bout of DW3, so it's turned into half-reminiscing. I am aware of the nostalgia goggles, here; You play DW8, or 8 Empires, then go directly to DW3, it's night and day.

Of course, getting a good item set is always the real issue. How to put it....in the old days, items were rando-loot and often uncommon. There is a VERY GOOD REASON why in 8 Empires, the Peacock Urn(+Health), Tiger Amulet(+Attack), Tortoise Amulet(+Defence), and Scroll of Alacrity(+Movement Speed) are default purchases, buyable at any time no matter what. They were and are the holy quadrilogy in terms of making your character do better both in the early stages and later on.

From DW3 to 4; Kingdom play over character play(And even letting people like Yuan Shao and the Yellow Turbans get in on the act), with multiple stages to unlock, and differences within a stage set, based on what you did and didn't do(Both in the sense of 'what stages you play or didn't' and 'actions within the stage'. Easy examples: Kill Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang, and they don't show up in the last Yellow Turban stage. Dong Zhuo could turn up many stages later with an entire stage devoted to it if he survives Hu Lao Gate. Lu Bu could survive Xia Pi, and he'd keep turning up in Wei's later stages), bodyguards and a proper levelling system for them(Even allowing them Elemental attacks if you did it right), no rando-drop weapons(Instead you levelled them up by both killing officers and doing combos, giving combos more of a point), more tasks and events, balancing AI officers by making it so they could only buff up after a knockdown rather than whenever they wished(Wasn't always the heal, either; now they could get attack and defence buffs too), gates for normal troops actually switching sides rather than just being shut, Gate Captains no longer dropping defence/attack ups(I think it was health now?), Create-an-Officer, throws as Charge Attacks, counter-attacking, dueling, and even the fringes of a affection system(very odd system; You fought alongside people as you did various things in Musou and Free mode, you got friendship up invisibly. Attacking them brought it down. If there was room on the battlefield for them(They counted as a completely new general unit), and you got low on health, they MIGHT show up unexpectedly on the battlefield to save your rear end. I forget if a rival would show up if they hated you sufficiently). Also different characters having different amounts of item slots and having to level up to get more, which wasn't so great. Like warriors would start with only 1 and get up to 4, and less powerful characters getting 3-6 as they advanced. Many were in the middle, with 2-5. Create-a-characters always got 2-5, I think. Which meant a create-a-character with Ma Chao's moveset would be better than the actual Ma Chao, because he had the 1-4 slot growth.

DW4 to DW5; Experiments with Bases, providing various minor benefits and another way to heal-supply bases-though not always reliable), bodyguards changed up again(Instead of a small troop, they're now singular mini-generals), Musou Rage(Super Mode requiring a specific pickup), 'Evolution' attack(Only on 6-hit weapons-yes, we're back to rando-drop. Take your normal string from 6 hits to 9, only with a full Musou gauge-another reason to perhaps keep your gauge full rather than spend it. The extra attacks had no charge attacks associated with them). Experiments with differing properties of weapons; aside from elements, they could also have weight. 'Heavy' weapons were slower and did more damage, 'light' weapons were the opposite. Oh, and we're back to character based story modes. Big increase in troops about and draw distance(I think?), also.

DW5-DW6: Everyone remembers Renbu. What they forget was the base system from here has been the basis of Empires games since. Bases with numbers of troops that need claiming. Consistent and reliable places to retreat and heal, if necessary, since all allied bases spawned healing items(Though to be fair, DW4 Empires was doing this; it just made it into mainline fully now). Bodyguards have gone, in place was levelling up your horse, also meaning everyone had access to that little extra mobility almost from the off. As the battlefields seem to be far more expansive, one could say it was needed. I think it was now that 'rescuing' officers recovered their health also came in. Actually being able to attack gates and things directly. Ladders. Story modes are still character-based.(This particular rundown is on 'observation' rather than 'owning the game').

DW8: Many weapons made their return; I forget whether it was 6 or 7 that had the Great Weapons Purge, where most of the weapons got chucked, in favour of having less weapons, and shared weapons, but having unique 'EX' moves to differentiate people. They kept the EX system, also. We're back to Kingdom Play, after a while without it. Also with multiple routes, if you do the right things. Ambition Mode...isn't new. As I understand it, DW7 had something similar. Multiple weapons to equip, and Switch Counters. I imagine these were from earlier too.

This is a really good post and makes me want to do some sort of DW retrospective to definitively show what has changed from game to game. That would probably be a fun long-ish term project.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Not enough, evidently. I've just come to the realisation that W-Force games aren't for me.

It's not like you're wrong. The surface is same-y.

The opinion you have('They're all the same!') is shared by basically everyone else, everywhere. I think it's a case of everyone reinforcing everyone else's opinions. Like, you look at reactions for Hyrule Warriors, many, many people were shocked at the difficulty, after running their mouths on how easy it seemed from the teaser videos. Of course, they also found they absolutely loved it.

But we're on 8 main games(9 if you count Dynasty Warriors 1, which was a fighting game), 4-5 Empires games, 4-5 Xtreme Legends'expansion packs', 4 Samurai Warriors games, 2(now 3) internal crossovers, and several other properties given a Warriors makeover now, so in the end, they've gotta be doing SOMETHING very, VERY, right. If it was truly foul, it would have died long ago.

When you think about it, the series is amazingly long-lived, and quite a success story. It's clearly scratching an itch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It also helps that very few games in the same style are made by other people and they're almost always bad the few times they try.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For honor looks to be the best musou competition

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought that was all about 1-on-1 duels?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

mikeycp posted:

This is a really good post and makes me want to do some sort of DW retrospective to definitively show what has changed from game to game. That would probably be a fun long-ish term project.

I would love to read that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought that was all about 1-on-1 duels?

Only when you fight the top commanders. You still mow through mooks during large scale battles like a hot knife through butter.

Also you get super moves and elemental strikes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hyrule Warriors doesn't seem that hard on Hard to me right. Hero mode maybe moreso. Adventure Mode for sure though.

Compare this to 8XL where if I turn it up to hard certain levels are actually just hard or I have underleveled characters (just one way through story mode). But replaying hard mode in HW isn't really tough, at least not in the early missions yet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sefal posted:

I would love to read that.

It would probably be a video series of some sort.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Orochi 1 was probably the hardest Musou game. The difficulty out of the gate was definitely higher than normal, and Chaos was nearly impossible without specific Lv.99 characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Orochi 1 was only hard because it's in that warriors engine where a single arrow knocks you down.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, I remember getting gang hosed by 7 officers who would constantly juggle me from full health to dead without ever getting control back so it wasn't just arrows at least.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tae posted:

For honor looks to be the best musou competition

The game is also being developed in part by Ed Ma, an old head in the West Coast FGC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
On the flip side Oroichi 1 had some seriously broken player stuff. Like Diao Chan's R1 slide with iirc full invulnerable frames and basically 0 recovery time.