Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Midjack posted:

Travelocity and Priceline will get you some hosed up itineraries.

Same with AA awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

asur posted:

Same with AA awards.

Why yes I will gladly take a 2 stop itinerary that goes DFW —>ATL—>LGA—>MIA with 3 hours each layover. I wasn’t doing anything that Tuesday anyway!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The mileage runners are starting early.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lote posted:

Why yes I will gladly take a 2 stop itinerary that goes DFW —>ATL—>LGA—>MIA with 3 hours each layover. I wasn’t doing anything that Tuesday anyway!

what_the_fuck.gif

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Here, this should keep you entertained for a while:

https://twitter.com/jeffglor/status/1062765257473617925?s=21

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Here, this should keep you entertained for a while:

Gotta divorce the airport from the airline. For example, DFW actually does a lot of things correct for a huge airport. I greatly prefer the layout compared to a giant pier design.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FunOne posted:

Gotta divorce the airport from the airline. For example, DFW actually does a lot of things correct for a huge airport. I greatly prefer the layout compared to a giant pier design.

D terminal at DFW is nice, but then again the international terminal at most airports is nice (except ORD).

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

lmao at Atlanta and Boston being anywhere near this list get the gently caress out.

you know what was nice actually? KC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:chloe:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Really, no Detroit?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Garbage tier list!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

lmao at Atlanta and Boston being anywhere near this list get the gently caress out.

you know what was nice actually? KC.

20 years ago, sure. Last time I was there you still got locked in a cage with no food, water, or restrooms when you were at the gate. If they've fixed it to where each gate isn't its own isolated security area, that would improve things, but given how it was laid out I can't see Missouri dropping that kind of money on the place.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FunOne posted:

Yeah I connected there about 3 hours ago. My inbound was late but the sky train design is efficient enough that I made it from C to A in like 10 minutes.

The best thing about LAX is that it goes a lot of places I want to go, direct. And the lounge is nice if I’m going international. Entrance and exit is a shitshow, as are the remote gates. I’m not talking about eagles nest, I’m talking about the dumb midfield terminal that I landed at three times in the last month, exiting a 777 on ramps down to the ground and boarding buses.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Midjack posted:

20 years ago, sure. Last time I was there you still got locked in a cage with no food, water, or restrooms when you were at the gate. If they've fixed it to where each gate isn't its own isolated security area, that would improve things, but given how it was laid out I can't see Missouri dropping that kind of money on the place.

My thoughts of the KC airport were that it reminds me of Robocop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Denver automatically should not be on the list since it’s like 40 miles from Denver.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Denver automatically should not be on the list since it’s like 40 miles from Denver.

But there’s a train now :eng99:

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Midjack posted:

Travelocity and Priceline will get you some hosed up itineraries.

So will booking last minute.

WSJ is a rag these days.

I nominate Portland, OR best airport. It's not a hub, but it's easily the best if you have to spend time there.
  • wide concourse
  • A+ food and drink options all over
  • a movie theater
  • comfortable seating and quiet spaces
  • best wi-fi bandwidth and reliability
  • mountain views flying in/out
The only thing that sucks is how they manage the rideshare pickup lanes. It takes 15+ minutes for something that should take 2. But if you put in for pick-up as you're deplaning, it's manageable.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
SMF is one of my personal favorite airports to visit - spacious, decent food options, good art, ample seating, airport amenities are close by, cars are cheap, Sac is close (lol I never go there) and Napa isn’t far.

Charlotte? Get the gently caress out of here.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

A list that includes Charlotte but not Detroit. Got it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Best airport food I've had was San Francisco, so I'm nominating that.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

porkface posted:

So will booking last minute.
WSJ is a rag these days.

I nominate Portland, OR best airport. It's not a hub, but it's easily the best if you have to spend time there.
  • wide concourse
  • A+ food and drink options all over
  • a movie theater
  • comfortable seating and quiet spaces
  • best wi-fi bandwidth and reliability
  • mountain views flying in/out
The only thing that sucks is how they manage the rideshare pickup lanes. It takes 15+ minutes for something that should take 2. But if you put in for pick-up as you're deplaning, it's manageable.

They have a priority pass lounge that’s a whiskey bar.

The new New Orleans / MSY airport is gonna be baller. They’re keeping the same good chefs from the current airport (from Dooky Chase) and adding a couple of the other big celeb chefs and traditional big name restaurants. Hopefully they can get it finished by next year.

As an aside, construction in New Orleans is even slower than it is normally for the past few years because they can’t find anyone not addicted to drugs. It’s pretty amazing how the opiate crisis is affecting the construction industry.

Lote fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 15, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Best airport food I've had was San Francisco, so I'm nominating that.

Trash tier airport in all aspects other than public transit. Awful weather, dated layout, United hub.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Trash tier airport in all aspects other than public transit. Awful weather, dated layout, United hub.

IT HAS GOOD FOOD, KYOON.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Anza Borrego posted:

SMF is one of my personal favorite airports to visit - spacious, decent food options, good art, ample seating, airport amenities are close by, cars are cheap, Sac is close (lol I never go there) and Napa isn’t far.

Charlotte? Get the gently caress out of here.

I used to do SMF->PDX every week and I was soooo happy. Even if there was a delay it was all good, both airports are so nice and clean, with plenty of great food options and places to chill out and wait. John Wayne is the same sort too.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
greetings from mco while a nor’easter moves in

its very crowded

also i have never seen public wifi as fast as the mco free wifi

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
How on earth is Chicago not on that list? Between Frontera and the Flagship Lounge it’s easily my favorite US airport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really don’t get how people care about food options and amenities more than “has functional layout” “is close to city” “has good access to transit and rental cars” “doesn’t take 5000 years to pick someone up”

Food options is some infrequent traveler poo poo

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So true.

Connections are a bitch though.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really don’t get how people care about food options and amenities more than “has functional layout” “is close to city” “has good access to transit and rental cars” “doesn’t take 5000 years to pick someone up”

Food options is some infrequent traveler poo poo

Functional layout is pretty critical, but depending on the metro area I may not even care because I have to go somewhere else. Transit and rental car access is pretty important, agreed, but I only pick people up at my home airport so idgaf about that.

Eating well on the road is a loving pain, I need heathy options.

Also: SNA has a decent layout, prompt screening my last few trips through and good access, but the food all sucks. New food at LAX still doesn’t offset their abysmal arrival and screening issues.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

T4 and T5 has me through screening and to the lounge or gate in 5 min. No more than 10.

The loop to get there via car is annoying but I just don’t see the screening issues?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

sellouts posted:

T4 and T5 has me through screening and to the lounge or gate in 5 min. No more than 10.

The loop to get there via car is annoying but I just don’t see the screening issues?

The automated bin system is hell when it’s busy. Not a fan.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I gotta go there 2x in the next 4 days so I’m just setting myself up for delays

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

The automated bin system is hell when it’s busy. Not a fan.

loving everywhere has that poo poo and I can't see how spending a quarter million dollars per security line is going to be better than having one of the McDonald's rejects drag a cart with bins in it across the line every few minutes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
EWR and their skytrain to the car rental center is obtuse as gently caress and took me wandering around at like 2am a while to figure it out. Even now that I've been it takes a moment to orient myself. I hate ATL and It's depressing mash of human flesh but at least I know where I need to be going and stuff is pretty clearly marked even On the little rail system that they have.

I have also had a terrible experience is fine in to Boston many times. It's very very busy and doesn't seem like they have the infrastructure of pamphlet. The little tunnel to get to the actual airport is a living h*** and terribly designed I want to punch whoever decided on that route the face. The 1st time I landed there it was like 2 or 3:00 a.m. and I again wandered around for a little bit and even stood on the curv until a cop was like son what are you doing and directed made to An unmarked airport shuttle to get on and ride around until we eventually made it to the car rental area

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I have also had a terrible experience is fine in to Boston many times. It's very very busy and doesn't seem like they have the infrastructure of pamphlet. The little tunnel to get to the actual airport is a living h*** and terribly designed I want to punch whoever decided on that route the face. The 1st time I landed there it was like 2 or 3:00 a.m. and I again wandered around for a little bit and even stood on the curv until a cop was like son what are you doing and directed made to An unmarked airport shuttle to get on and ride around until we eventually made it to the car rental area

lol

Maybe it's just because I used to live there and I'm used to it, but the signs are pretty self explanatory and the buses are pretty well marked as to where they're going. I like the Boston airport and getting to the blue line into the city is fine.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Maybe I'm weird, but yeah, food selection is important, especially if you're delayed. It makes a lovely week that much better if you can cap it off by having a drink and tapas while casually finishing up your emails surrounded by some nice ambiance rather than eating a stale sandwich while crouched on the floor between a Best Buy kiosk and the men's restroom.

I'm currently delayed at GEG and my choice is either Burger King, Starbucks, or the miserable sit down restaurant that is Sysco incarnate. So I'm breaking the social contract by sitting on the ground in a corner eating goldfish crackers.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nikosoft posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but yeah, food selection is important, especially if you're delayed. It makes a lovely week that much better if you can cap it off by having a drink and tapas while casually finishing up your emails surrounded by some nice ambiance rather than eating a stale sandwich while crouched on the floor between a Best Buy kiosk and the men's restroom.

I'm currently delayed at GEG and my choice is either Burger King, Starbucks, or the miserable sit down restaurant that is Sysco incarnate. So I'm breaking the social contract by sitting on the ground in a corner eating goldfish crackers.

Lol, GEG is a bad airport. I kinda liked Spokane though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nikosoft posted:

So I'm breaking the social contract

That guy went to Bangkok for New Year's and never posted again. I hope he's okay.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Cacafuego posted:

Lol, GEG is a bad airport. I kinda liked Spokane though.

It's small, I get it, I just want better food. Spokane itself has definitely gentrified in the last few years.

Midjack posted:

That guy went to Bangkok for New Year's and never posted again. I hope he's okay.

I seriously think about him every time I wear my sneakers on an airplane (so every flight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Any tips on best enjoying SEA-LAX-SYD-PER in X on Delta besides blissful unconsciousness?

(Not that Delta is bad, just that it's 15 loving hours)