Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
On a Cisco test like a CCNA for questions that require two answers or drag and drop style questions do you get partial credit if you get some of it correct or do you only get credit if you get everything correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Charliegrs posted:

On a Cisco test like a CCNA for questions that require two answers or drag and drop style questions do you get partial credit if you get some of it correct or do you only get credit if you get everything correct?

They tell you in the exam instructions, but I believe you do get partial credit for 1 out of 2 answers correct, at least when I took it 4-5 years back.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Hello nerds, I am possibly going to try and pursue a full stack dev career. For my current job I have basically been working this type of work (Django/some webpage development) with a lot of python programming and automation using python, for example turning complex tasks into simple to use scripts, connecting/remotely running commands and parsing output on various hardware.

So from what I understand a full stack Django dev is expected to know:
-HTML/CSS/Javascript (I can bumble my way through basic HTML/CSS but know nothing about javascript)
- Django (I somewhat understand what is going on and I can be thrown into a functioning environment and probably maintain it but starting from scratch is a whole world I am not privy to)
- Python (I would classify myself as a advanced python programmer, you can throw an issue at me and I can prolly crap out a functioning script in a hour)
- SQL (I have vague ideas of how databases work and if given a basic task could probably make it work and at least hopefully not blow everything up)

I guess what I am asking is, are there certifications that are recommended for straight up Django full stack work? Should I pursue a bunch of small certs for each individual part?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If there are any programming related certs that are well regarded I havent heard of them. Aside from more PM oriented certs like Agile/Scrum/whatever.

I think you'd be better served creating some project to show off your work. BUT, I am not a developer or programmer and will defer to others.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

So, what would folks recommend as far as subscription service for certs right now?

We're a microsoft shop, so on-prem/azure/security stuff is what we're looking for, some network wouldn't be bad but isn't extremely important.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’ve had access to a few before (udemy, pluralsight,Lynda/linkedin learning, skillsoft, itpro.tv) and udemy was by far the best. It’s only $360/yr per user for a small team (5-20 users).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MF_James posted:

So, what would folks recommend as far as subscription service for certs right now?

We're a microsoft shop, so on-prem/azure/security stuff is what we're looking for, some network wouldn't be bad but isn't extremely important.

While not a service Microsoft is handing out Az-900 test vouchers like candy with two day bootcamp courses and I just passed it on my first go (and this is from someone who is a 1) horrific test taker and 2)hates Microsoft testing paradigm.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

incoherent posted:

While not a service Microsoft is handing out Az-900 test vouchers like candy with two day bootcamp courses and I just passed it on my first go (and this is from someone who is a 1) horrific test taker and 2)hates Microsoft testing paradigm.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to schedule that. I took the course like almost a year ago. Need to go over my notes and the additional material.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could someone recommend me certifications/pathways to get to the data ETL side of the house?

I currently write user-facing reports for a healthcare system and have built a few Tableau/PowerBI dashboards but I'd like to move deeper in to ETL / Data Engineering side of things. Not sure where to start self-studying.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

After 6 years of reading these threads and 3 years of college, I'm finally biting the bullet on the CCNA at the end of August. I'd like to take a test without studying to get a baseline for what I remember, is the 100bux boson my best bet or is there something cheaper so I can calibrate?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
The premium ebooks of the official cert guides include Pearson practice exams. For knowledge check, you could limit it to the "check my knowledge" questions from the intro of each chapter.

Nothing wrong with Boson either though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend me certifications/pathways to get to the data ETL side of the house?

I currently write user-facing reports for a healthcare system and have built a few Tableau/PowerBI dashboards but I'd like to move deeper in to ETL / Data Engineering side of things. Not sure where to start self-studying.

I'm going through this journey, and the MS cert are a good place to start imo. Even if you don't do the exam, the online learning is pretty slick and useful. I did da-100 and found it very useful for the Power bi side. I'm working on da-203 and also learning python.

I would recommend getting into SSAS by just doing it. If you have made your own data model, recreate it in SSAS/visual studio/ssdt. Power query is the same across all three platforms now, which helps a lot, once you work out how to actually get into it in visual studio. There are some platform specific differences, like you cant do many to many relationships in VS iirc.

On my list of things to do is get an SSIS pipeline up and running, because the end point I mainly work with is a hacked up version of odata, but without some of the useful features, like proper paging of results.

My problem is that I'm self learning all this stuff and it's just me, and I'm at the point where I need someone who knows more than me to let me know whether or not I'm doing stuff correctly, or how I can improve it.

Always happy to chat about this though, so pm me if you want to.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NPR Journalizard posted:

I'm going through this journey, and the MS cert are a good place to start imo. Even if you don't do the exam, the online learning is pretty slick and useful. I did da-100 and found it very useful for the Power bi side. I'm working on da-203 and also learning python.

I would recommend getting into SSAS by just doing it. If you have made your own data model, recreate it in SSAS/visual studio/ssdt. Power query is the same across all three platforms now, which helps a lot, once you work out how to actually get into it in visual studio. There are some platform specific differences, like you cant do many to many relationships in VS iirc.

On my list of things to do is get an SSIS pipeline up and running, because the end point I mainly work with is a hacked up version of odata, but without some of the useful features, like proper paging of results.

My problem is that I'm self learning all this stuff and it's just me, and I'm at the point where I need someone who knows more than me to let me know whether or not I'm doing stuff correctly, or how I can improve it.

Always happy to chat about this though, so pm me if you want to.

Thanks for the info. What did you think of the DA-100 exam?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My school is making take A+ Network+ and Security+ just passed my A+ today.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the info. What did you think of the DA-100 exam?

You had to know the material in order to pass, but if you go through the course outline and you are confident you know it, you should be fine.

The exam itself was very much in line with other ms exams. A bunch of multiple choice iirc

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
What's the best way y'all have found to pitch paying for certs and training to a boss/owner?

I'm a "gud with computers" guy who's been yoked to a Network Administrator title and I'm currently floundering a bit trying to get all this poo poo figured out. I've got a roadmap* base on what I'm dealing with, but I'm hoping to get the company to foot the bill since this is what the owner wants me to do, in addition to learning/doing my hilariously simple "primary" job.

*CompTIA A+/Net+/Sec+, Microsoft Azure/AzureData/365/SCI

I'm already diving into the Microsoft stuff since it's got free resources but paying for the tests/certification is another matter.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 13, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you're a "good with computers" guy, the A+ is probably not especially helpful. The Net+ is decent, but take a look at what's covered and see if it would be helpful for you. If not, consider a CCNA instead. I don't have a Sec+ but I haven't heard great things about it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Hello thread, I'm in my early 30s working a deadend service industry job and having spent most of my life in front of computers I've been thinking about maybe doing so in a way that I actually get paid for. I'm particularly interested in networking, but mostly I just want to make 60-70k+/year.

I can't find it now, but I think I remember reading something on SA along the lines of "be careful going into IT, you can get a master's degree and no one will even look at your resume until you've spent 5 years eating poo poo at a t1 helpdesk." Looking at networking jobs around me, most places are asking for a bachelor's and 5 years experience. OTOH, I've heard a lot of companies do this to weed out applicants or because the posting is just to satisfy HR before they move their already handpicked candidate.

Anyway, I'm curious what most of your experiences are with getting into the field. Is an AAS+certs worth anything short of translating it into a BS? Am I wasting my time if calculus makes as much sense to me as theoretical physics?

If this is beyond the scope of the thread, feel free to tell me to gently caress off. Thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I got into IT as well after working service industry from like 16 to 22. The hardest part of getting into IT is getting your foot in the door and getting that first job. After that, it's pretty easy. Sort of like moving up to bartending or management from waitstaff... hard to get that first shot, and then you're in.

The good news is, there's such a huge demand for IT right now, getting that first shot is easier now.

So my story is I waited tables until I was 22 or so, while going to community college and getting an AAS in Microsoft Networking Technologies and getting my MCSE. I took a big pay cut to go do tech support in a call center, and after a couple years moved into the company's internal IT team. Spent 15 years moving up through the company (and through multiple acquisitions) before moving on to a larger company. I stuck around way too long, and I'd be in a better position if I job hopped every 2 to 3 years, but I was happy at the time, so I was ok with the decision.

How married are you to networking? There's still a good need for networking folks, but it's not really a growth sector right now. Cyber Security Operations is huge right now, Cloud (AWS/Azure/GCP), ServiceNOW, Salesforce, those are the growth areas. Like I'm primarily an Active Directory guy. It's not a growing part of IT. I've got 15+ years of experience doing it, and I found a really good, high paying Active Directory job, but there is not a ton of them out there.

My current recommendation to someone looking to just get into any IT job possible, is to get some basic online training with a SIEM platform (Splunk, LogRhythm, ArcSight, etc), and apply to every entry level SOC analyst job I could find. You could probably be working in less than 2 months and making at least 50K a year. It's the equivalent of being an IT barback though, but we're trying to get our foot in the door and some experience on our belt, and then we're moving on to the next thing.

Another option is to utilize many of the free or almost free training offerings out there from Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure, and shoot for an entry level cloud job. IT is all learning on the job as you go since every environment is different, so you just gotta get in the door and you'll be OK if you're motivated. I've seen people with zero experience complete some of this training, and get entry level 60 or 70K jobs in just a few months.

The great thing is many of these jobs are remote now. I don't know where you live, but if there's not a strong IT market where you are, it doesn't matter.

Networking is very important. I have former co-workers that have been offered jobs because they used to work with someone. I've been offered jobs from previous bosses because they knew I did good work. Make sure you have a LinkedIn profile and it has some key words in it.

Don't stress about not knowing everything. The Tech part of the job is easy(mostly) and can be taught. Finding reliable, trustworthy employees you can count on is the hard part. If you can show up on time, be pleasant and be trustworthy, that's really all you need.

Seriously though, if I can help in any way let me know. It's a huge goal of mine to help pay it forward to as many people as I can. A good buddy of mine, who actually was an intern for me like 8 years ago just called me the other day. Just got promoted to a 6 figure +bonus cloud admin job. 9 years ago he was stocking the dairy aisle at a grocery store. IT is an amazing job field where the sky is honestly the limit.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 16, 2021

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Just passed my CCNA the other week. That leaves me with just my Capstone(a final project/paper) remaining before I'm issued a Bachelor of Science in Network Operations & Security at WGU. :confuoot:

For anyone who's considering taking the CCNA I spent about six weeks dedicated and scored an 872 and pass on my first attempt. The following were pretty useful:

-Neil Anderson's Udemy Course: I found this guy pretty engaging relative to most video lectures. Entire course is about 40 hours and I cherry picked maybe 8-10 labs that I completed. He really does a good job at covering the entire exam.

-Boson Practice Exams: 3 tests, 104 questions each. These lined up really well with the actual exam and were probably a bit harder. Do them in study mode and read the full explanations after each question. Can't really stress that enough, these exams are most of the reason I passed.

-31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam by Allan Johnson: This book isn't vital but I was able to knock it out easily the week leading up to my exam, and is a really nice recap of everything.

I was reasonably sure I failed before hitting submit at the end, and definitely could have studied more, but overall I didn't think it was too harsh of an exam. Boson should do a good job at conditioning you for what shows up on tests day as they're extremely similar in most ways.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Nice! I'm also just a few courses away from my BSNOS as well, but my CCNA is expiring next month so I'll probably get to renewing that after all these papers are done.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ClumsyThief posted:

Just passed my CCNA the other week. That leaves me with just my Capstone(a final project/paper) remaining before I'm issued a Bachelor of Science in Network Operations & Security at WGU. :confuoot:

Congrats! I'm sure you're advisor has told you, but don't overthink the capstone, just do exactly what they ask for on the rubric and you'll pass no problem. I don't think the people grading these things are technical in the slightest. You could write gibberish, but as long as it hit all the rubric requirements you'll pass. I graduated Oct 2014 from WGU.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I got into IT as well after working service industry from like 16 to 22. The hardest part of getting into IT is getting your foot in the door and getting that first job. After that, it's pretty easy. Sort of like moving up to bartending or management from waitstaff... hard to get that first shot, and then you're in.

The good news is, there's such a huge demand for IT right now, getting that first shot is easier now.

So my story is I waited tables until I was 22 or so, while going to community college and getting an AAS in Microsoft Networking Technologies and getting my MCSE. I took a big pay cut to go do tech support in a call center, and after a couple years moved into the company's internal IT team. Spent 15 years moving up through the company (and through multiple acquisitions) before moving on to a larger company. I stuck around way too long, and I'd be in a better position if I job hopped every 2 to 3 years, but I was happy at the time, so I was ok with the decision.

How married are you to networking? There's still a good need for networking folks, but it's not really a growth sector right now. Cyber Security Operations is huge right now, Cloud (AWS/Azure/GCP), ServiceNOW, Salesforce, those are the growth areas. Like I'm primarily an Active Directory guy. It's not a growing part of IT. I've got 15+ years of experience doing it, and I found a really good, high paying Active Directory job, but there is not a ton of them out there.

My current recommendation to someone looking to just get into any IT job possible, is to get some basic online training with a SIEM platform (Splunk, LogRhythm, ArcSight, etc), and apply to every entry level SOC analyst job I could find. You could probably be working in less than 2 months and making at least 50K a year. It's the equivalent of being an IT barback though, but we're trying to get our foot in the door and some experience on our belt, and then we're moving on to the next thing.

Another option is to utilize many of the free or almost free training offerings out there from Google Cloud, AWS, or Azure, and shoot for an entry level cloud job. IT is all learning on the job as you go since every environment is different, so you just gotta get in the door and you'll be OK if you're motivated. I've seen people with zero experience complete some of this training, and get entry level 60 or 70K jobs in just a few months.

The great thing is many of these jobs are remote now. I don't know where you live, but if there's not a strong IT market where you are, it doesn't matter.

Networking is very important. I have former co-workers that have been offered jobs because they used to work with someone. I've been offered jobs from previous bosses because they knew I did good work. Make sure you have a LinkedIn profile and it has some key words in it.

Don't stress about not knowing everything. The Tech part of the job is easy(mostly) and can be taught. Finding reliable, trustworthy employees you can count on is the hard part. If you can show up on time, be pleasant and be trustworthy, that's really all you need.

Seriously though, if I can help in any way let me know. It's a huge goal of mine to help pay it forward to as many people as I can. A good buddy of mine, who actually was an intern for me like 8 years ago just called me the other day. Just got promoted to a 6 figure +bonus cloud admin job. 9 years ago he was stocking the dairy aisle at a grocery store. IT is an amazing job field where the sky is honestly the limit.

Thanks for the effortpost. I have a lot of research to do and options to look at, but you've given me a lot to start with.

Edit: Anyone familiar with per Scholas? Are they legit?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 19, 2021

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vorenus posted:

Thanks for the effortpost. I have a lot of research to do and options to look at, but you've given me a lot to start with.

Everyone here would be happy to help in any way possible. Do not hesitate at all to ask questions or ask for advice.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

ClumsyThief posted:

Congratulations!!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Vorenus posted:

Hello thread, I'm in my early 30s working a deadend service industry job and having spent most of my life in front of computers I've been thinking about maybe doing so in a way that I actually get paid for. I'm particularly interested in networking, but mostly I just want to make 60-70k+/year.

I can't find it now, but I think I remember reading something on SA along the lines of "be careful going into IT, you can get a master's degree and no one will even look at your resume until you've spent 5 years eating poo poo at a t1 helpdesk." Looking at networking jobs around me, most places are asking for a bachelor's and 5 years experience. OTOH, I've heard a lot of companies do this to weed out applicants or because the posting is just to satisfy HR before they move their already handpicked candidate.

Anyway, I'm curious what most of your experiences are with getting into the field. Is an AAS+certs worth anything short of translating it into a BS? Am I wasting my time if calculus makes as much sense to me as theoretical physics?

If this is beyond the scope of the thread, feel free to tell me to gently caress off. Thanks.

I made the switch a little more recently. Up until late last year I was a calibration technician with a decade of experience making sure one number was between two other numbers. I went to a tech college for cybersecurity and knocked out the basic comptia certs like A+, Net+, and Sec+. Security+ was the real goal since it meant I could work on a military base doing IT stuff instead of calibrating stuff. Still took over 6 months before I could land a job in help desk but I also didn't apply for everything under the sun.

Looking at Per Scholas it seems legit in that it's free but I can't comment on how useful the material you'd be learning is. I took a bunch of classes at my tech college that didn't give me a cert. Were they good for learning something? Maybe, although mostly I felt like I learned enough to pass their test then didn't retain anything.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vorenus posted:

With the shortage on finding people that are good at touching computers these days, it certainly doesn't require a Masters and 5 years of helpdesk to break into IT. The most difficult part is finding that 1st entry. After that it's easy sailing as long as you keep learning new things (be it through certs, self study or on the job study).

Keep in mind that job listings are a companies wish list. Some ask for 10 years of experience with software that's 5 years old. For an entry level network engineer they can ask a bachelor and 5 years experience, but everyone who has 5 years of experience will go for medior/senior jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere, so if you have a CCNA, try applying for those jobs. In the meanwhile keep working on other stuff to broaden your skillset.

It seems you have little to no experience or relevant certifications to getting an entry job. You mention that networking looks interesting to you. Are you 100% sure you want to go that route and are you aware of the alternatives? Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP), Linux sysadmin, Desktop Admin and Windows Sysadmin are options that might have a higher chance of you landing that entry job than networking. The demand for cloud specificially seems to be much larger than the supply. If you study for a month or 2-3 you'd be able to knock out a few certifications that should land you at least an entry level job.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

Keep in mind that job listings are a companies wish list. Some ask for 10 years of experience with software that's 5 years old. For an entry level network engineer they can ask a bachelor and 5 years experience, but everyone who has 5 years of experience will go for medior/senior jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere, so if you have a CCNA, try applying for those jobs. In the meanwhile keep working on other stuff to broaden your skillset.

This is what I tell people that are trying to land jobs in my current field, and what I'm telling myself as I try to land my first cloud job.

Has anyone used the Pearson VUE online proctoring for a certification? If so, how was your experience with it?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Not terrible. I've done it twice and they're a weird middle ground - everything happens in a browser that basically doesn't let you see anything else running. I still do it from a clean local user account that isn't logged into anything I care about.

Compare that to proctorU: they want admin permissions to run unknown, undiscussed scripts on your computer, supposedly to kill processes. (Vs, for example, Examity who just want you to share your screen on Zoom and monitor you via webcam)

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 21, 2021

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there a cert for Azure AD and Microsoft Intune? My boss has given me the all clear on implementing it and finding training on it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Is there a cert for Azure AD and Microsoft Intune? My boss has given me the all clear on implementing it and finding training on it.

Start here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/modern-desktop/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LionYeti posted:

They have multiple training paths, and a ton of certifications

Choose your adventure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone used the Pearson VUE online proctoring for a certification? If so, how was your experience with it?

Their "take pictures of your room/picture ID" website had a lot of trouble on Firefox for me, so consider using chrome/safari for that portion. The testing application doesn't scale very well with large DPI monitors (explains why all the testing center computers have always had really small resolutions set), consider using a lower DPI monitor or setting your resolution down if that's an issue for you.

Besides that, the experience was no better or worse than any other online proctoring.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Better than ProctorU which is a dogshit company that actively hates your time and illegally records you, That I got fired from when they moved most of the offices to either the phillipines or alabama

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
ignoring coming out with A Certification at the end of it, as that's not the primary goal, my company is bringing in powerBI

nobody in the company knows how to use powerbi & i see a wide open opportunity.

What's the best way to become an absolute loving expert in PowerBI - not just learning it for my own workflow? I sense this is going to be extremely, extremely valuable to the org pretty soon.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

bus hustler posted:

ignoring coming out with A Certification at the end of it, as that's not the primary goal, my company is bringing in powerBI

What's the best way to become an absolute loving expert in PowerBI - not just learning it for my own workflow? I sense this is going to be extremely, extremely valuable to the org pretty soon.

As with every skill, computer touching related and not, you have to put in the hours. I think the eatimation is that 10k hours makes you an expert in anything you do, as long as you don’t just go through the motions. I’m sure you’ll become your companies rockstar with much less than that.

Personally I’d start with the free MS courses

After that try to apply it to every possible thing you can find in your daily job.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bus hustler posted:

Watch enough YouTube tutorials to grasp the basics, then start working business problems using that knowledge and build from there. That's how I taught myself to be halfway competent in a variety of tools.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bus hustler posted:

The guy in a cube YouTube channel helps, but go through the free ms courses and then start using it every day.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ClumsyThief posted:

For anyone who's considering taking the CCNA I spent about six weeks dedicated and scored an 872 and pass on my first attempt. The following were pretty useful:

-Neil Anderson's Udemy Course: I found this guy pretty engaging relative to most video lectures. Entire course is about 40 hours and I cherry picked maybe 8-10 labs that I completed. He really does a good job at covering the entire exam.

-Boson Practice Exams: 3 tests, 104 questions each. These lined up really well with the actual exam and were probably a bit harder. Do them in study mode and read the full explanations after each question. Can't really stress that enough, these exams are most of the reason I passed.

-31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam by Allan Johnson: This book isn't vital but I was able to knock it out easily the week leading up to my exam, and is a really nice recap of everything.

I was reasonably sure I failed before hitting submit at the end, and definitely could have studied more, but overall I didn't think it was too harsh of an exam. Boson should do a good job at conditioning you for what shows up on tests day as they're extremely similar in most ways.

How'd you study using "31 Days"? I'm taking notes and outlining but it's exhausting and I've done 3 days in two weeks as a result.

Wondering if I should swap to Boson and Usemy.

Edit: sheesh forgot to add, congrats!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

skipdogg posted:

Congrats! I'm sure you're advisor has told you, but don't overthink the capstone, just do exactly what they ask for on the rubric and you'll pass no problem. I don't think the people grading these things are technical in the slightest. You could write gibberish, but as long as it hit all the rubric requirements you'll pass. I graduated Oct 2014 from WGU.

Thanks! I have no worries about the Capstone at all and I've gotten similar feedback about it. The example paper they send out is honestly pretty badly written and I think it's just a question of finding a free weekend to write my own.

Famethrowa posted:

How'd you study using "31 Days"? I'm taking notes and outlining but it's exhausting and I've done 3 days in two weeks as a result.

Wondering if I should swap to Boson and Usemy.

Edit: sheesh forgot to add, congrats!!!

That book is specifically written as a final recap and I think the author says as much in the introduction. I blitzed through it in four or five days, but by that point I had already completed Anderson's Udemy course and was scoring 80%+ on the Boson tests. I would not trust it as your only source of information-- it's far from complete in that sense.

I didn't take any notes. Labs are pretty important because they'll get you actually typing the commands that litter the exam. Anderson includes premade environments for the Cisco Packet Tracer software so for the sake of the exam you're getting actual trigger time on an IOS command line. I have pretty good retention but I still did a few of them to make sure I knew the really common stuff.