Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Tommy wasn’t an inherently evil dude because the Zeo Crystal would have zapped him. That was the whole point of him going to the bad guy lair.

Well sure, I'm not saying that I thought Rita's spell made him inherently evil, I just always assumed that while the ground floor was still Good Tommy, few suspected how much Evil Tommy remained between Ground Floor and Top Floor. To put it another way, I don't feel like some other bad guy ever had to dig too deeply into Tommy's pysche to tap into a whole lot of Evil Tommy laying around. poo poo, even in that episode (might be confusing it with another), there's an implication that there's a lot more of that Evil Green Ranger still lurking in Tommy than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Well sure, I'm not saying that I thought Rita's spell made him inherently evil, I just always assumed that while the ground floor was still Good Tommy, few suspected how much Evil Tommy remained between Ground Floor and Top Floor. To put it another way, I don't feel like some other bad guy ever had to dig too deeply into Tommy's pysche to tap into a whole lot of Evil Tommy laying around. poo poo, even in that episode (might be confusing it with another), there's an implication that there's a lot more of that Evil Green Ranger still lurking in Tommy than you'd expect.

Reminder

Dino Thunder featured Tommy creating Power Ranger powers for his own use, an entire FLEET of zords that start out berserk and attacking whatever they can, (one of those powers is also explicitly evil for some reason) a new set of foot soldiers to do his menial tasks for him, a monster making machine and another machine designed to make them grow, and he did all of this ON HIS SECRET SCIENCE ISLAND BASE

That he only lost control of because the morally questionable multi millionaire he had bankroll his insane plans used his dangerous monster science to create an evil split personality by accident.

Tommy may have done ALL OF THAT with the best of intentions, but you cannot tell me he wasn't gearing up to be a new big villain should the need arise.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So was the Be Good spell actually "Be from Perth"?

It was actually Be from New Zealand

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Burkion posted:

Tommy may have done ALL OF THAT with the best of intentions, but you cannot tell me he wasn't gearing up to be a new big villain should the need arise.

So he read Watchmen and thought Veidt had a point?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, the thread becomes grateful that I didn't name this one Groundcog Day.

Fittingly enough, I saw the credits gag coming, but I laughed anyways.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No video today. Giving myself a break.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lizard Wizard posted:

No video today. Giving myself a break.

The joke's on you, Lizard Wizard! I didn't watch yesterday's video, so for me there is a video today!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Zeo has a lot more American made in suit stuff than I remembered. There's an impressive amount of stuff for a show whose main behind the scenes reason was probably being able to use more Sentai and less self-made stuff. I also seems like they bring in new stunt coordinators or something cause it seems like Zeo's American stuff is a big Improvement over MMPR's.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Koichi Sakamoto came in during season 3 but is really starting to get into his groove.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

galagazombie posted:

Zeo has a lot more American made in suit stuff than I remembered. There's an impressive amount of stuff for a show whose main behind the scenes reason was probably being able to use more Sentai and less self-made stuff. I also seems like they bring in new stunt coordinators or something cause it seems like Zeo's American stuff is a big Improvement over MMPR's.

What they filmed themselves is still cheaper than paying for more brand-new "Zyu2" footage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By the way, Ninja Steel started back up last week. Not a bad episode actually and I like that they're at least foreshadowing the upcoming teamup in advance (the cloaked figures were Wes, Gemma, and Koda in case you didn't catch on). I think I heard a remix of the original MMPR Megazord theme played at one point as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 27, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Tommy has a hat on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was the best mystery ever. I love that Bulk recognizes his theme song when it is played diagetically.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

HA, iirc in Forever Red, Rocky was going to appear as Tommy's butler, that's a hell of a deep cut for Wild Force

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I was giggling like a madman at Tommy’s Casio keyboard theme

I’m glad you felt the same, LizWiz

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY POWER RANGERS

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Squizzle posted:

Just noticed black and blue don't have their arms level. Symmetry ruined.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somehow I miscounted, thinking that eighteen episodes would bring me just shy of the end of Zeo, instead placing us somewhere in the start of Turbo. On top of that, making one episode a day is kind of grueling. In light of this, Power Rangers Shape Force will return to its regularly scheduled, uh, schedule tomorrow.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Squizzle posted:

Man the Zyu suits are just loving perfection

They just can’t be topped

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Sockser posted:

Yeah they are really good suits, definitely in my personal top 5. I thought the Goseiger and Gokaiger suits were really nice looking as well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The only really bad looking suits are Gingaman.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Best suits are Go-Busters. This is fact.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sockser posted:

It's such a shame the new movie basically tossed those iconic designs in the trash for the sake of being different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are we so attached to Zyu suits from nostalgia...or are we so nostalgic because the suits are so good?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nostalgia makes us remember them fondly but their actual quality makes them hold up, if that makes any sense.
Recently The Kyuranger suits have been amazing. :swoon:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I think they're good, but they're not the best by a long shot. Even within the three dino sentai, they're not as nice as Abaranger. (Kyouryuuger has neat individuals, but on a whole I don't like their aesthetic.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Zyu suits are good, but there's a number of costumes I'd put well ahead of them.

Number 1 is SPD.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maskman might be my favorite suits

Maybe. I wish they had actual belts Like buckles or something

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Nodosaur posted:

The Zyu suits are good, but there's a number of costumes I'd put well ahead of them.

Number 1 is SPD.

SPD is technically 1 through 5.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Gekiranger has that same weirdness about belts, too, but luckily both additional Rangers made up for it.

I mean, if you can count wearing shorts on top of your purple leotard as a belt.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/TokuChris/status/1034543778298716160

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gekiranger has that same weirdness about belts, too, but luckily both additional Rangers made up for it.

I mean, if you can count wearing shorts on top of your purple leotard as a belt.
I wonder how the west would react to an Ex-Aid adaptation tbh, I love the designs but they are very much an acquired taste w.r.t. them only working in the context of their show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Zyu suits are good, and I'd definitely put them up as one of the better ones, but I feel like there are enough fantastic ones It's really hard pick a favorite. Magiranger, Gokaiger, Gobuster, Jetman, I even like stuff that tends to be maligned like Zyuohger and ToQger. I guess, giving it a thought possibly my favorite suits are the Go-On Wings ones.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I actually really like the Dairanger suits, and while I understand why they kept the Zyu suits in S2 and S3, I've always hated that they got skipped entirely aside from the White Ranger. If only Saban could have written them in like the Kakuranger suits.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, those are good suits. Rokugou especially.

I'm a big fan of it also putting dudes in pink.

E: a western adaptation of Ex-Aid would be well served by going all in on the 88-93 aesthetic. Put everyone in ugly neon windbreakers so their incredibly garish suits fit in.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gekiranger has a conceptual reason for not having belts, though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder if Power Rangers would've taken off like it did if we started on something like Liveman or Jetman.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Potsticker posted:

The only really bad looking suits are Gingaman.

Charlie Brown looking motherfuckers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Great of them to link it in the tweet.

https://m.soundcloud.com/ron-wasserman/sets/power-ranger-redux-work-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tommy is a dad confirmed