Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ER2XR is a drat fine IEM. Near perfect tonality. For reference the EJ07 has nearly the same freq curve.. it just does all areas better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That triple-stacked tip on it looks a bit strange. How comfortable is that to wear? It looks long enough that you'd have to insert it partly into your ear canal or something.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cardiovorax posted:

That triple-stacked tip on it looks a bit strange. How comfortable is that to wear? It looks long enough that you'd have to insert it partly into your ear canal or something.

Not partly, entirely. You gotta get deep in there. All the way in there. There you go.

It's weird. You'll feel like someone's fingerbanging your brain at both ends for a good week or two but then you forget they're there. They're the most comfortable IEMs I have now that I'm used to them.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, they're worn with really deep insertion into the ear canal. Some people won't ever find it comfortable, I got used to it after a couple of days and it's "normal" to me now. Unfortunately it's impossible to know until you give it a try.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I never got a good seal with the triple flange, so I always cut the smallest one off. Now they make double flanges, so I guess I wasn't the only one doing that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't handle the triple flange long term and wound up getting custom molded sleeves and they're great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm personally used to it, I use earplugs (the foam kind) a lot after I got into the habit back in my old college dorm. Just makes for more restful sleep. I was just surprised because I hadn't ever seen earbuds that you're supposed to wear like that. I think I might try those out at some point, I really hate it when environmental sounds intrude on my audio time. Getting right in there and squirting its music right on my brain sounds like it should do the job alright. Not this month, though. I think I've expended my budget for frivolous purchases for a while.

Speaking of, my new Sony WF-1000XM3 arrived today, which have active noise cancelling. It's honestly quite impressive. I'm sitting next to fairly loud fan right now and the moment I started up the management app on my phone and hit the noise cancelling option, it just... went quiet. It's not gone, but it's like I'm hearing it through a set of ear protectors. Way more quiet than it should be for earbuds of that size. They're also far more comfortable and securely seated than I expected them to be from what some of the reviews said. I haven't even put on a larger tip yet (I usually need to) and it barely feels like there's anything wrong.

drat those things are huge, though. Seriously, it doesn't across in the promotional images at all how oversized they feel when you see them in person.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm thinking about getting some new headphones because my current ones - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - start to hurt my ears when I wear them for an hour or more. (Physically, I'm not killing my eardrums by blasting them at full volume.)

Budget: Couple hundred euros? 500-ish? I don't mind spending a bit more if I can get something really good. Less than a thousand though, more seems overkill.
Source: Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.
Isolation Requirements: Not really. I live alone and I don't get a lot of outside noise either. I do use them for videochat so my microphone (Shure SM7B) shouldn't pick them up too much.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-Ear, definitely.
Preferred Tonal Balance: It's for voice chat and some gaming. Balanced?
Past Headphones: ATH-M50X - They're ok? Except they push on my ears a bit too much so they start to hurt after an hour or so. My ears aren't exceptionally big I'm pretty sure, but maybe sensitive to pressure? Or I could be a giant baby.
Preferred Music: Varied. From classical over Rihanna to Tool.

Extra requirement: I really like the short coiled cable I have with my M50X. (I think 3m long if you would stretch it all the way out? A bit more than 1m rolled up) My new headphones should have something similar. Replaceable cables are also a plus.

edit: forgot to actually ask a question: any recommendations?

uXs fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2020

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I recently “upgraded” to AirPods Pro and they will not stay in my ears with any of the three tip sizes no matter what I do. I could do cartwheels in the regular AirPods and they wouldn’t come out. Are there any third party tips or solutions?! I like the features and lower profile of the pros.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I recently “upgraded” to AirPods Pro and they will not stay in my ears with any of the three tip sizes no matter what I do. I could do cartwheels in the regular AirPods and they wouldn’t come out. Are there any third party tips or solutions?! I like the features and lower profile of the pros.

Compy foam tips should work to keep them solid in the ear.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I never got a good seal with the triple flange, so I always cut the smallest one off. Now they make double flanges, so I guess I wasn't the only one doing that.

Their new dual flange tips come in four sizes, most people should be able to get a better fit with the new duals than with the old triples, and I prefer them despite liking the triple flange.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 9, 2020

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Jabra Evolve2 65 headset? I'm looking to upgrade from my work-provided single-ear wireless headset to something that covers both ears, does reasonable noise reduction, can stream music from my phone and connect to the computer for calls, can cleanly switch between those two sources, and has decent Teams support. It looks like a good option, but it's pricey enough that I don't want to buy it sight-unseen.

Alternately, any other suggestions for office-oriented headsets that meet the above? I don't need active noise cancellation, but decent passive isolation would be nice.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

I had the same issue. I used them for a week and ended up returning. I got Sony WF1000XM3 afterwards and had much better luck, their electronics aren't quite as good (their hear thru thing doesn't work nearly as well or easily), but the audio quality is better and they're comfortable without falling out. I've actually never had them fall out and use them all the time, even on my electric scooter going 20mph.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

I use Dekoni AirPod Pro tips and they’re way more comfortable and form fitting then the stock set.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ddogflex posted:

I had the same issue. I used them for a week and ended up returning. I got Sony WF1000XM3 afterwards and had much better luck, their electronics aren't quite as good (their hear thru thing doesn't work nearly as well or easily), but the audio quality is better and they're comfortable without falling out. I've actually never had them fall out and use them all the time, even on my electric scooter going 20mph.
As mentioned further up on the page, I have recently bought a pair of these as well and can confirm. The WF1000XM3s come with a large selection of 12 tips in different materials. The largest size of soft silicon tips is plenty for me and sits very, very solidly. I have to be wildly shaking my head for them to start slipping, and I do mean wildly.

Audio quality is, as mentioned, excellent. The bass is like sex in my ears. I've tried a wide range of true wireless earbuds of the last few months and these are bar none my complete favourite so far. They were worth every cent.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

you ate my cat posted:

Does anyone have any direct experience with the Jabra Evolve2 65 headset? I'm looking to upgrade from my work-provided single-ear wireless headset to something that covers both ears, does reasonable noise reduction, can stream music from my phone and connect to the computer for calls, can cleanly switch between those two sources, and has decent Teams support. It looks like a good option, but it's pricey enough that I don't want to buy it sight-unseen.

Alternately, any other suggestions for office-oriented headsets that meet the above? I don't need active noise cancellation, but decent passive isolation would be nice.

I have the 75. I'm very happy with it. On calls all day. I haven't used it for switching back and forth but it supposedly can do it. Just be aware you need to use the dongle on your PC for the best call quality.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
iBasso DX160 review
Excellent Audio quality, really. drat fine. Best of best.

The rest is trash, janky 3 years android bullshit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

What's a recommended set of memory foam tips with a wide range of compatibility that you can get on Amazon?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a recommended set of memory foam tips with a wide range of compatibility that you can get on Amazon?

Probably comply

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Similar to a dude on the last page, I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use for PC gaming. Unlike him though, I'd prefer something wired. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros with a separate cheapish logitech usb headset draped around my neck just for the mic for years, so I'm comfortable using discrete headphones.

Replacing the 280s because the covers of the cushions on the ears have split and the plastic seam that holds the top of the head cushion on is about 40% split as well, if that makes sense. Otherwise they are still fine.

Open to a combo headphones and mic if there's a good one. I don't mind keeping them separate though. My place isn't noisy, but I've become accustomed to the full closed back design and I'd like to keep that unless there's a good reason not to.

A friend recommended the Audio Techica ATH-M50x and I think that ($150) would be about the upper bound on what I'm looking to spend, though I was hoping to get something closer to what the 280s cost ($100). Kinda surprised that the 280s cost 100 8 years ago and still apparently sell for that today.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think the Coolermaster MH751 is your best bet. It's got minimal branding and is a rebranded takstar 82, which is known to be comfy as gently caress. There's one of those boom mic thingies but you don't have to use it.

Sennheiser also just updated the 280 pro for the first time since the clinton administration, apparently they improved some things.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Looks like the Coolermaster MH751 are double the price of the Takstar Pro 82s. As nice as it would be to have the mic built in, for half off maybe I keep slumming it with my separate mic. Is the sound quality on those pretty nice?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I never heard the pro82 so I couldn't tell you if there's a sound difference. It's the same chassis at least.

e: status audio CB-1s are still around, come to think of it. I listened to a set a while back and they're like worse built but more comfortable and slightly better sounding m40x.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 11, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've tried IEMs over $1000 bux and I can say that the Tanchjim Oxygen's are the best value under ... a LOT. Get a pair, and win the universe. They are better than any of the Sonys, better than any BA set with a billion BAs. Incredible IEMS!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e: status audio CB-1s are still around, come to think of it. I listened to a set a while back and they're like worse built but more comfortable and slightly better sounding m40x.

Just throwing in my 2 non-audiophile cents, I use the CB-1s with a vmoda boom pro for games and I think they're great.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I've tried IEMs over $1000 bux and I can say that the Tanchjim Oxygen's are the best value under ... a LOT. Get a pair, and win the universe. They are better than any of the Sonys, better than any BA set with a billion BAs. Incredible IEMS!

I haven't heard anything like the top end gear that you have heard, and I do sometimes get distracted by shiny new gear. But whenever I go back to the Oxygen it's like "oh right, these are amazing". Sound stage, imaging, bass definition and overall technicalities/presentation on the Oxygen are on a whole other level compared to anything I own. The level of detail is perfect. Tons of subtle detail retrieval, including upper treble sparkle, but not overwhelming or distracting.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I haven't heard anything like the top end gear that you have heard, and I do sometimes get distracted by shiny new gear. But whenever I go back to the Oxygen it's like "oh right, these are amazing". Sound stage, imaging, bass definition and overall technicalities/presentation on the Oxygen are on a whole other level compared to anything I own. The level of detail is perfect. Tons of subtle detail retrieval, including upper treble sparkle, but not overwhelming or distracting.

It's as good as it gets my man. I don't care what anyone says. I'm glad you agree though! I never know what preferences might be stuck in my head. All I know is my brain wants some oxygen :D

[edit] Not one other set I've tested can hit 15k with enough energy to carve a hole out of your ear drum. Extreme example, yes, but it shows it's tech prowess

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 12, 2020

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'm looking for some IEMs for about £50, and am not all that picky about tonal balance etc. Are soundmagic still a decent (within the context of price etc.) brand? The E10/11's look to be in/under my price range. Otherwise any quick recs?

I'm returning these to amazon because I really didn't get on with them. Didn't sound anything impressive to me, kept falling out of my ears and the right earphone is already starting to go after a couple months:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-Earp...ctronics&sr=1-3

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
At that price, do try the Blon 03. If you can get tips that fit decently they are really amazing.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
edit: I posted a big wall of text here, but I'm going to do more research and narrow it down to a few options first before posting for recommendations.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 12, 2020

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I never heard the pro82 so I couldn't tell you if there's a sound difference. It's the same chassis at least.

RichterIX posted:

Just throwing in my 2 non-audiophile cents, I use the CB-1s with a vmoda boom pro for games and I think they're great.

The audio CB-1s sound like a good deal. Thanks for the tip. The boom pro just plugs in to where the removable cable would go? Coming from the HD 280 pros, I have no experience with removable cables.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is it normal for headphones to degrade over time? I’ve had a pair of HD 518s for a decade and they just don’t sound good anymore. The pads seem to have lost volume in the past year or so, maybe that is the reason?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Is it normal for headphones to degrade over time? I’ve had a pair of HD 518s for a decade and they just don’t sound good anymore. The pads seem to have lost volume in the past year or so, maybe that is the reason?
Generally speaking, with headphones and loudspeakers it's typically an all-or-nothing affair: it either works or it gives up the ghost entirely. A slow loss of audio quality over time isn't something you see very often. If the foam padding of the headphones has started to give out, then you might get a subjectively lower quality due to the reduced isolation from environmental noises and such, but that's just me guessing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

uXs posted:

I'm thinking about getting some new headphones because my current ones - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - start to hurt my ears when I wear them for an hour or more. (Physically, I'm not killing my eardrums by blasting them at full volume.)

Budget: Couple hundred euros? 500-ish? I don't mind spending a bit more if I can get something really good. Less than a thousand though, more seems overkill.
Source: Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.
Isolation Requirements: Not really. I live alone and I don't get a lot of outside noise either. I do use them for videochat so my microphone (Shure SM7B) shouldn't pick them up too much.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-Ear, definitely.
Preferred Tonal Balance: It's for voice chat and some gaming. Balanced?
Past Headphones: ATH-M50X - They're ok? Except they push on my ears a bit too much so they start to hurt after an hour or so. My ears aren't exceptionally big I'm pretty sure, but maybe sensitive to pressure? Or I could be a giant baby.
Preferred Music: Varied. From classical over Rihanna to Tool.

Extra requirement: I really like the short coiled cable I have with my M50X. (I think 3m long if you would stretch it all the way out? A bit more than 1m rolled up) My new headphones should have something similar. Replaceable cables are also a plus.

edit: forgot to actually ask a question: any recommendations?

Anybody? Bueller? ...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I eventually had to go all AKG K because everything else would interfere with my scars.

Went with the K240 after too many broken cables, salvaged velour earpads for it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

uXs posted:

Anybody? Bueller? ...

For comfort and no need for isolation, you should go with a pair of open headphones.

I've found the sennheiser 598s to be extremely comfortable. The 650s are much better sound quality but not quite as comfortable as the clamping is a bit stronger. They're still quite comfortable though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Generally speaking, with headphones and loudspeakers it's typically an all-or-nothing affair: it either works or it gives up the ghost entirely. A slow loss of audio quality over time isn't something you see very often. If the foam padding of the headphones has started to give out, then you might get a subjectively lower quality due to the reduced isolation from environmental noises and such, but that's just me guessing.

It’s an open model so I don’t think it’s about environmental noise, plus I live in a very quiet place. I guess it’s either the psychological effect of the quality of other gear I’ve acquired over the years or me going deaf in a weird manner.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

It's 100% the pads. Sennheisers in particular are super duper sensitive to pad breakdown.

I know exactly how much pad life I have by how much I enjoy my 580s. When I put them on and don't immediately think "oh yeah i remember why I love these" then it's time to change the pads. Every 2 years or so in my case.

Lowness 72 posted:

I've found the sennheiser 598s to be extremely comfortable. The 650s are much better sound quality but not quite as comfortable as the clamping is a bit stronger. They're still quite comfortable though.

just felt it important to mention that the 6xx is the same headphone as the 650 but much cheaper.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 13, 2020

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That sounds encouraging, the pads do seem a little bit deflated. And now to find someone that will ship to my country :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That sounds encouraging, the pads do seem a little bit deflated. And now to find someone that will ship to my country :sigh:
I can get them here and I might be willing to work something out with you, if you're willing to Paypal me up-front. PM me if you're interested.