Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

The anime just ends at the Chairman Election arc at Gons conversation with Ging and his return home after which is honestly a better ending than anything we'll probably get that's directly related to the ongoing plot beats just as a nice bow on Gon's journey.

I meant the 1999 version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Speaking of I forget, did the first run of the anime make up its own ending or just get to a certain point and stop like the second one did?

But yeah, considering Togashi’s health issues and their effect on his work I’ll be curious to see just how much of the manga he’s got left in him at this point

kite was his dad instead of being kite at the end of greed island

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

The anime just ends at the Chairman Election arc at Gons conversation with Ging and his return home after which is honestly a better ending than anything we'll probably get that's directly related to the ongoing plot beats just as a nice bow on Gon's journey.

true, but then togashi kept going and it was all so good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of curious if they’ll ever bring the anime back should Togashi one day finish the series (I don’t think there’s nearly enough material at present unless they decide to start the story from scratch a third time for whatever reason)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
well they brought Bleach back so Hunter x Hunter can do it too

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't going to do a new anime for a single incomplete arc. or rather, i'd hope no one would because that means a filler ending. but hey, even if togashi never finishes the current arc maybe someday they'll do a single gorgeously animated ova for hisoka vs. chrollo.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

huh so Togashi has multiple endings in his head, and not a single True Ending... interesting

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

frajaq posted:

huh so Togashi has multiple endings in his head, and not a single True Ending... interesting
Kinda makes sense, it started as a pretty loose concept and hasn't had any really crucial point it's moving towards other than 'Gon meets his dad'. It's often been more of a world building journey and a collection of characters travelling through it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Even the dark continent arc just seems like a "what if it turns out..." that was not necessary not especially pre-planned. The gon going home moment is a perfect end point, and might be the end to gons story, even. Everything going forward is a continuation of the world, not necessarily the main story.

I do hope we'll get more, or even finish whatever story he's now concidering. It's still so much potential. No update since his last lifesign in early october regarding the manga, which I hope is just him quietly working.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

frajaq posted:

Makes sense because he's said that the end of the election arc is kind of an ending. At least for Gon, but he wants to keep on writing which is why we have this boat arc with 90% new characters and a whole new objective that doesn't even include Gon or Killua.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

frajaq posted:

I love the way he explained it... he thinks like a HxH character!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

I love the way he explained it... he thinks like a HxH character!

its like Rihan's famous page of him analyzing the situation in his head

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

togashi will never die.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Togashi may die, but his post-mortem nen can ink chapters with Oda-level endurance

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t someone eventually take over Berserk after its author died prior to finishing the series? It may be possible for the same to happen here in the worst case scenario

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think togashi works that closely with anyone else. for whatever reason, he famously hates using assistants.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

He’s also married to Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi but I’m not sure if she wants to tackle a long running manga again either.

Guess we’ll just have to see what happens when/if Togashi’s health reaches the point where he can no longer reasonably work on the series anymore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest 12 is supposedly going to be announced soon.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Nonexistence posted:

Togashi may die, but his post-mortem nen can ink chapters with Oda-level endurance
Togashi's nen ability is to finish HxH:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think togashi works that closely with anyone else. for whatever reason, he famously hates using assistants.

He used them before and was a fairly good boss, but he previously insisted on drawing all the characters personally during yyh.

Judging by the last few chapters and news from new assistants i think that it is likely he has changed his process

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Compare the art of the last four volumes of HxH with the art of the first four volumes of HxH. He is using a few assistants, for sure.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

He’s also married to Sailor Moon creator Naoko Takeuchi but I’m not sure if she wants to tackle a long running manga again either.

Guess we’ll just have to see what happens when/if Togashi’s health reaches the point where he can no longer reasonably work on the series anymore

Mangaka just wanna draw everything. Oda refuses to let assistants draw anything that would be moving.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Usually the ones that aren’t super passionate about drawing itself and just wanna write stories just use an author/illustrator team yeah, like the Kaguya-sama mangaka whose other series he just does story on his other series.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I will never not laugh/cry at Berserk getting off the boat at the same time (roughly) that Hunter x Hunter got on it.

As said before, where the anime ends is a perfect ending and jumping off spot for the series and the only thing it doesn't truly wrap up is the troupe. Which is a pretty big thing in fairness but with what has happened since with them, especially Chrollo vs Hisoka, if you bring that in and read it during the election, you could call this manga finished for the most part imo.

Boat arc still decent so far though dgmw. Just want Togashi to be as healthy as he can be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Last Celebration posted:

Usually the ones that aren’t super passionate about drawing itself and just wanna write stories just use an author/illustrator team yeah, like the Kaguya-sama mangaka whose other series he just does story on his other series.

Or you just go full mashima and crank out the same story multiple times with the same characters and make bank

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm satisfied with Hunter x Hunter's "Ending" at the top of the world tree, but I really love the current arc as its own separate thing.

Togashi's health should take priority, but I wouldn't mind seeing what all he has in store. He's up there with Araki when it comes to writing non-standard fights.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Everything about the world of HxH was so much more interesting to me than Gon (who I actually liked quite a bit) that I never questioned the need for the story to continue past the end of Gon's story at the top of that tree.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the spot where the second anime ended is a perfectly good stopping point for the series but I don’t mind it continuing on past Gon’s arc either (as mentioned, HxH is a big universe with a lot more that can still be explored)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 22, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the entirety of the weird pseudo-modern magical world just being a giant crater lake island in what might be an infinite plane of the baddest poo poo ever is just, like, such a good adventure hook

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the entirety of the weird pseudo-modern magical world just being a giant crater lake island in what might be an infinite plane of the baddest poo poo ever is just, like, such a good adventure hook

yeah this is more interesting than the entire rest of the series imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gonna be honest for how technologically advanced the hxh world is the idea they live in like.1/4 and it's somehow not public knowledge is a bit odd

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Turns out all their technology is fake. They never invented fiberoptic cables, cell phones are just run by 6 nen users locked in a basement.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
We never met them but there's a very skilled Satellite Hunter out there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jose posted:

Gonna be honest for how technologically advanced the hxh world is the idea they live in like.1/4 and it's somehow not public knowledge is a bit odd

its so completely impossible that it makes me think either the dark continent is an unsubtle allegory for the afterlife or the entire setting is some kind of bizarre infinite plane

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

The first speech by the king of Kakin makes it clear that the world knows about the Dark Continent, it's just been considered Taboo to visit it since ancient times. And this is compounded by how strict information about the DC is both through how we know the internet works in HxH. And how everything related to the handful of modern expeditions is kept in a huge vault and all those official trips were heavily regulated by the V5.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I can’t wait until Beyond finally gets real screen time and a fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the world leaders also keep it a secret that they are in a lake in the Dark Continent, like the people on the Kakin ship are being dropped off at a fake dark continent, while the Hunters go to the real thing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh the Dark Continent being kept under wraps makes more sense than nen not being a widely known thing, like I know normal people can’t see nen abilities (unless it’s a stipulation of the ability) and enhancer stuff like Hisoka slicing off limbs with his cards makes sense as just assuming he’s using trick cards, but there’s like one unified source for like all the weird supernatural phenomena in this world, and even enhancer stuff kind of stretches the realm of possibility when you get to the point of guys tanking machine gun rounds and artillery.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This page has always irked me. The announcer tells the audience (and the reader) that "aura" is definitely a real thing, and it what's being used in this fight, and presumably, all Heaven's Arena fights.

Seemingly everyone knows that superpowers are real, whether it's from aura, chakra, ki, or nen. It's secrecy is patently absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the thing about nen is that no matter what people see. Without greater context how are they going to know it's all one unified system? Say you saw the Hisoka vs Kastro fight. A reasonable person will realize that summoning a body double is utter nonsense but they won't know that what Kastro is doing, and what Hisoka is doing are the same things. They can't even see what Hisoka is doing even without him hiding it further. What are they supposed to think?

The current arc also goes out of its way to show us that psychic abilities are regarded by the wider world. But that still doesn't explain to the average person what nen is much less how it works and they can reasonably fall back onto other explanations. And it's been consistent that nen teachers don't just jump out and start teaching people, they usually test and filter students. And thus far the only major institutions teaching Nen are either the Martial Arts school Netero founded. Or as we've seen the Kakin royal military and Camilla's personal guard. The latter of two from a country that has just as long a history with Nen as the association if not longer but still knowledge only accessible at the highest levels of the country or maintained by a specific group of people. Outside of that; we had one nen user in the Fake Kim Jong Il's royal guard so most people probably can't employ a great number of nen users outside the hunter's association. Ironically the Mafia is where we've seen the next greatest concentration of nen users and the Nostrade family seems a bit bloated compared to other families, but they also hired a bunch of hunters to boot.

The Heaven's arena is so far the only other place where Nen is really common and part of that can be forgiven because either people willing to pay for the ticket price at the floors where Nen is practiced know. Or at the very least those people have a vague idea of what is happening. Either way it's exclusive membership no different to how in York New the auction house blatantly tells people how the Greed Island consoles are protected by Nen. Power, money, and/or influence afford you access to certain information and the setting dictates how much information you're told.

It's also worth reminding people that the world of Hunter x Hunter is filled with magical creatures, super humans, and all kinds of crazy poo poo. So the average person seeing one of the 680 hunters in the world or the maybe 100s more of other non-hunter nen users won't really understand that it's some conspiracy magic system.