Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

blah_blah posted:

It's very infrequently enforced. There's a ton of very successful startups out there, spawned from some of the bigger names in tech, that literally rebuilt some internal tool they developed at their prior company as their new startup's product. Anti-poaching clauses are the same -- they sound draconian in practice, but end up getting routinely ignored with no consequences.

Which is why this case is different. Levandowski (allegedly!) got a $250MM payout, in return for ~10GB of Waymo data. Intellectual capital and experience is one thing, hard data is another. More to the point, he started a new company and almost immediately sold it to a direct competitor - he didn't spend a couple years building a new product and then put it on the open market, it appears the sale was mostly arranged when he left Waymo.

You're right, it's very difficult to enforce those contracts. This one was a little bit too blatant, even for SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
just a reminder that this is still relevant in 2017 and will be for the foreseeable future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

poisonpill posted:

Again: yes you can. This is a civil case. You can infer against someone pleading the fifth in a private lawsuit.

Oh yeah good call I always forget that in the rush not to be lovely about it with respect to criminal matters.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Which is why this case is different. Levandowski (allegedly!) got a $250MM payout, in return for ~10GB of Waymo data. Intellectual capital and experience is one thing, hard data is another. More to the point, he started a new company and almost immediately sold it to a direct competitor - he didn't spend a couple years building a new product and then put it on the open market, it appears the sale was mostly arranged when he left Waymo.

You're right, it's very difficult to enforce those contracts. This one was a little bit too blatant, even for SV.

I agree. But the issue here isn't those assignment of invention clauses that virtually everyone at every tech company signs. The issue is large-scale theft of intellectual property. There's no point in conflating the two.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

blah_blah posted:

I agree. But the issue here isn't those assignment of invention clauses that virtually everyone at every tech company signs. The issue is large-scale theft of intellectual property. There's no point in conflating the two.

That's just it, so far there has been no smoking gun. From the article on the previous page:

quote:

What’s not quite proven yet: That the complex lidar system Levandowski built for Uber was heavily inspired by Waymo-owned patents and trade secrets. Waymo also can’t quite pin down whether Uber employees saw the stolen documents or if those documents moved anywhere beyond the computer Levandowski allegedly used to steal them. (Uber lawyers say extensive searches of their company’s system for anything connected to the secrets comes up nil.) Did a laptop containing the documents ever enter an Uber office? Did Levandowski access the documents for reference while working from home? So far, the evidence is only circumstantial.

The payout, the timing, the lack of notice all scream guilt. And this is a civil case, not a criminal case. But right now, the theft hasn't been proven. I think we're agreeing, and I pointed out the distinction, it's just that he has certainly violated the contract, it has yet to be shown that he actually stole anything.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Speaking of criminality and Uber:

quote:

The U.S. Department of Justice has begun a criminal investigation into Uber Technologies Inc's use of a software tool that helped its drivers evade local transportation regulators, two sources familiar with the situation said.

Uber has acknowledged the software, known as "Greyball," helped it identify and circumvent government officials who were trying to clamp down on Uber in areas where its service had not yet been approved, such as Portland, Oregon.

Uber received a subpoena from a Northern California grand jury seeking documents concerning how the software tool functioned and where it was deployed, one person familiar with the request said. That indicates a criminal investigation is underway. The second source confirmed that was the case.

A subpoena from a grand jury is a formal request for documents or testimony concerning a potential crime. It does not, in itself, indicate wrongdoing or mean charges will be brought.

The ride services company's board has retained an outside law firm, Shearman & Sterling LLP, to conduct its own internal investigation into what transpired, those two sources and a third said.

Early stages of the investigation from what it seems, but formally started and perfectly timed on top of other things Uber's having to deal with at the moment.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Uber seems to subscribe to the "it's only illegal if you get caught" way of doing things.

So the corporate way, they just suck at it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How many civil and criminal cases is Uber involved in right now?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Uber seems to subscribe to the "it's only illegal if you get caught" way of doing things.
Worse. They subscribe to "All regulations are bad, so gently caress 'em" -- even when they do get caught, they claim it's a bad law anyway.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Worse. They subscribe to "All regulations are bad, so gently caress 'em" -- even when they do get caught, they claim it's a bad law anyway.

Right, they're libertarians.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Yeah this isn't "I made a cool little app on my own time that turns out to have some serious implications so I'm quitting and making a new company", this is "I literally stole the stuff I built for you and sold it to another company."

The first the primary company either isn't going to care or you can negotiate some kind of settlement. The second involves people going to jail and businesses being fined into the ground.

edit: Even the first case can be bad if the "cool little app" is important enough, because it's basically what happened to Facebook and Zuck had to pay out millions. It's just that the second is so much worse.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 5, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

axeil posted:

Yeah this isn't "I made a cool little app on my own time that turns out to have some serious implications so I'm quitting and making a new company", this is "I literally stole the stuff I built for you and sold it to another company."

The first the primary company either isn't going to care or you can negotiate some kind of settlement. The second involves people going to jail and businesses being fined into the ground.

edit: Even the first case can be bad if the "cool little app" is important enough, because it's basically what happened to Facebook and Zuck had to pay out millions. It's just that the second is so much worse.

I mean another aspect of it is that if he just ran off with his tech and ran his own company for a while, it wouldn't be too much of juicy target for Google. They might expect that the guy's company would go under because it couldn't really afford to make meaningful developments, let alone an actual product.

But he went and immediately had it taken over by a company known to be a money pinata. That sealed it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

fishmech posted:

I mean another aspect of it is that if he just ran off with his tech and ran his own company for a while, it wouldn't be too much of juicy target for Google. They might expect that the guy's company would go under because it couldn't really afford to make meaningful developments, let alone an actual product.

But he went and immediately had it taken over by a company known to be a money pinata. That sealed it.

A money piñata! :3:

https://twitter.com/computerfact/status/856983887603433472

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 6, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

gently caress's sake

https://twitter.com/mllehrer/status/861603799810555904

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No way did that actually get funded. I refuse to believe it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

MiddleOne posted:

I doubt it. This looks like a landing page specifically designed to see if anyone is even interested in this thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MiddleOne posted:

Quite right you are. It's a concept hoping for an Indiegogo.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Like this feels like a randomly generated item from an algorithm. A bluetooth salt shaker that plays music and has various mood lighting options. I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out spitting out these landing pages until one gets enough interest to actually be funded.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

nachos posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone out spitting out these landing pages until one gets enough interest to actually be funded.

https://www.quirky.com

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Note that Quirky went to Hell in 2015.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I know it's formulaic at this point to bolt Bluetooth or wifi smartphone connectivity onto random household items and cast it out into the VC ocean hoping for a bite, but for the life of me I don't get why they keep doing it with kitchen gadgets. Internet-connected refrigerators, ovens, coffee pots, toasters, etc are so impractical and unnecessary yet they keep trying to ram that square peg into that round hole over and over.

Is it that they think they've already connected every other electronic appliance in the average home to the internet in some way already and they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel now?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I know it's formulaic at this point to bolt Bluetooth or wifi smartphone connectivity onto random household items and cast it out into the VC ocean hoping for a bite, but for the life of me I don't get why they keep doing it with kitchen gadgets. Internet-connected refrigerators, ovens, coffee pots, toasters, etc are so impractical and unnecessary yet they keep trying to ram that square peg into that round hole over and over.

Is it that they think they've already connected every other electronic appliance in the average home to the internet in some way already and they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel now?

it's a lot easier to sell kitchen gadgets since you can appeal to people's anxiety about cooking and the cooking process. in order to sell some dumb gadget you have to create a problem (salt shaking is too boring) and then provide the answer (a cool salt shaker that plays music)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Might also be price elasticity of demand. People who buy some single use kitchen items may have large budgets for luxury goods.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WrenP-Complete posted:

Might also be price elasticity of demand. People who buy some single use kitchen items may have large budgets for luxury goods.

Also stealing all of their information though poorly disclosed Internet of Things terms and conditions

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WrenP-Complete posted:

well that's true of any gimmick device (IoT stuff is just the new infomercial as seen on tv gadgets) but there's just not as much space for innovation in say the laundry machine, the bedroom is a little tawdry, but you can come up with all kind of pasta cookers and hot dog bun toasters and all kinds of silly things for the kitchen

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

boner confessor posted:

well that's true of any gimmick device (IoT stuff is just the new infomercial as seen on tv gadgets) but there's just not as much space for innovation in say the laundry machine, the bedroom is a little tawdry, but you can come up with all kind of pasta cookers and hot dog bun toasters and all kinds of silly things for the kitchen

Yes, absolutely.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I for one think IoT clothes/clothes hampers/dressers are just one Kickstarter away. Just imagine never losing your socks again by using your phone as a Bluetooth radar. Knowing when the last time your dresser was opened and who opened it...

I'm bailing on the joke, it's entered the IoT uncanny valley.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I for one think IoT clothes/clothes hampers/dressers are just one Kickstarter away. Just imagine never losing your socks again by using your phone as a Bluetooth radar. Knowing when the last time your dresser was opened and who opened it...

I'm bailing on the joke, it's entered the IoT uncanny valley.

While I'm almost positive I saw a wifi hamper ages ago, have this instead:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/859483961713721352

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

duz posted:

this reminded me of the wet diaper sensor from Gizmo! but i couldn't find it, but then i was like well hell if anyone itt has never seen Gizmo! it's basically this stupid gadgets, the historical documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONwe96StEpA

e: ah for some reason this is an edited version that removes the section about baby devices, probably a music copyright

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 9, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

duz posted:

Eh, as a parent I can safely say there is no avoiding the sniff test, unless you have the mother of all colds.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
The non-kitchen internet of things products tend to be done by more serious companies.

Smart lighting, cameras, thermostats, are all produced by major companies.

There was also smart door locks but I think that was a startup.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

The non-kitchen internet of things products tend to be done by more serious companies.

There's like a dozen smart door lock companies, they're all terrible, even the ones that were normal door lock companies first.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

ShadowHawk posted:

Kwikset do smart door locks (RFID and networked) but apparently they suck. Pity, since now I have keyless car locks/ignition it would be nice to to never have to dig for my keys.
Edit: ^^Yup

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

duz posted:

There's like a dozen smart door lock companies, they're all terrible, even the ones that were normal door lock companies first.

slock.it pioneered smart door locks right but on the blockchain. This worked so well they pivoted to The DAO, which welp

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

divabot posted:

slock.it pioneered smart door locks right but on the blockchain. This worked so well they pivoted to The DAO, which welp

I

what

was the time taken to open your door going to increase at the number of door openings went up? Were there going to be server farms in China mining unlockings? I am so confused.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MikeCrotch posted:

I

what

was the time taken to open your door going to increase at the number of door openings went up? Were there going to be server farms in China mining unlockings? I am so confused.

welcome to blockchain!! I try to keep this sorta poo poo to the YOSPOS bitcoin thread, but the current pitch at the top of https://slock.it/ is "Blockchain + IoT", which is two terrible ideas in an even worse conflation, so superlatively iThread.

quote:

A low-cost, private-by-design “democracy of devices” will emerge that will enable new digital economies and create new value, while offering consumers and enterprises fundamentally better products and UX.

or, as EorayMel put it:

EorayMel posted:

I use blockchain technology to let strangers come into my home at any given time to use my washing machine that is prostituting itself for more economical usage in order to pay off the debt my refrigerator accumulated because it dumped all of my money on the honest ponzi scheme being run by the stove.

if you want to know aaaallll about "smart locks" on loving Ethereum, Slock.it to Introduce Smart Locks Linked to Smart Ethereum Contracts, Decentralize the Sharing Economy in Bitcoin Magazine will make Uber look like a good idea by comparison. Smart contracts Bitcoin 2.0 Ethereum Internet of Things (IoT) decentralized sharing economy pure P2P mode stop me before I kill again. You uh buy a SLOCK token in their smart contract right and uh you buy access with those and uh DECENTRALISATION!

I wrote up the DAO disaster, it's champagne comedy.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Snapchat eating so much poo poo right now, who would've guessed. Can someone explain that $2.2 bill loss?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/862400198970142720

Snap lost $2.2 billion in the first quarter with $150 million in revenue.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ill Peripheral posted:

Snapchat eating so much poo poo right now, who would've guessed. Can someone explain that $2.2 bill loss?
You mean aside from Instagram and FB Messenger eating their lunch by providing similar vanishing videos/stickers/facemanipulation filters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ill Peripheral posted:

"The company spent $2.0 billion on stock-based compensation expenses after its initial public offering"