Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

I'd love a BB clone where instead of killing people you do breakdancing moves at them. Like HP is Cool or something and once you've macked on them enough with your sick moves they give up. Just dressing your guys up in more and more awesome streetwear and destroying the enemy with your backline DJ's sick beats while your front line spins defensively on their heads.

Yeah, this would be fantastic :D

Nordick posted:

Games › Battle Brothers: hrgrglrglgrl

Also yeah, this definitely needs to be the title hahah

EDIT: Oh, a new page. Here, for the benefit of everyone who views this page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Wafflecopper posted:

You can press a button, I think it was tab, to highlight interactables in those screens in wartales

Left alt gives a faint grey outline on interactables. Gave in and bought Wartales, enjoying it so far. looks like it has the foundation of a solid game from the first couple hours.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Wartales might have some potential, but the game is a long way from being complete or good. What I love about BB is how attached you grow to your brothers, cause they all have their own (although generic) backstory, their perks and talents. And they can trigger events, depending on their background. A hedge knight and a raider having a manly talk by the fire, is still one of my favorite events in any game. In Wartales all your recruits are faceless nobodies who are in need of some serious XCom/BB customization.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Agreed. I have enjoyed the 6 hours or so I put in, but it needs flavor, events, variety, etc. As far as early access goes, I have seen far worse but yeah. Some abilities don't even have proper animations, ala firepots

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume the “companion events” on their timeline will be something like that? Commercially the game also appears to have done quite well out of the gate so maybe their plans even expand a bit.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

aphid_licker posted:

I'd love a BB clone where instead of killing people you do breakdancing moves at them. Like HP is Cool or something and once you've macked on them enough with your sick moves they give up. Just dressing your guys up in more and more awesome streetwear and destroying the enemy with your backline DJ's sick beats while your front line spins defensively on their heads.

My go-to company names when playing Battle Brothers are either the Customer Service Team or the Grafenhaven Dance Crew.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I refuse to use armors that don't look awesome, irregardless of the stats

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I found a super annoying bug. If you find a legendary location that initiates a one on one battle where you get a unique weapon if you win, SAVE BEFOREHAND.

If you have the scavenger retinue member your legendary item may be overwritten by tools.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Donkringel posted:

I found a super annoying bug. If you find a legendary location that initiates a one on one battle where you get a unique weapon if you win, SAVE BEFOREHAND.

If you have the scavenger retinue member your legendary item may be overwritten by tools.

I haven’t played this game in forever but this would PISS ME OFF so bad lmao

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm on day 51 with 13 bros and best armor I have are 110s... Should I just bite the bullet and buy armors?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm on day 51 with 13 bros and best armor I have are 110s... Should I just bite the bullet and buy armors?

Wait until the first crisis unless you're super hankering to go fight a bunch of random lairs, imo. Holy war or noble crises = you'll be drowning in decent armor as long as you can get through a single rough fight. Greenskin/undead crisis = Loads o' money makes the opportunity cost of buying armor pretty low.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

aphid_licker posted:

I refuse to use armors that don't look awesome, irregardless of the stats
Bone plating makes any armor look cool :v:

FrickenMoron posted:

I pretty much always end up buying 210 or 200 body armors after I'm in 110 and earn money because I just can't be arsed to wait for the game to throw chances to loot them at me. Though I do search for decent prices before I buy

Count Uvula posted:

you're super hankering to go fight a bunch of random lairs, imo
That's my basic state of mind in BB

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tin Tim posted:

Bone plating makes any armor look cool :v:

That’s a funny way to spell wolf cloaks

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, definitely. Go straight for 200+ armour, the stuff in between 110 and 200 isn't enough of an upgrade to be worth the money but the 200+ stuff is because it's now more rare than it used to be as enemy drops. If you befriend a town with an armourer you can usually get reinforced hauberks (210 durability) for under 3000 gold, and that's a deal you should take every time you have the cash for it until most of your frontline is above 200 durability. At that point you can either save up for the more expensive stuff (it gets expensive very fast, going from 210 to 240 durability will double the cost from ~3000 to ~6000) or spend more time worrying about getting armour from crises or ruins, because your most important frontliners will be much safer while you do so, and then as you get better armour you can pass the hauberks on down the line.

Helmets are less important to buy for a few reasons: one, you can get better helmets than body armour from enemies (140 is standard from raiders, you'll quite often get 200+ helmets from fallen heroes, and that's before even facing any crisis enemies), and two, your body armour tends to take more of a beating. Still good to buy helmets if you see a good one for cheap (e.g., allied town with high spirits or something) but only if you have the spare cash.

Count Uvula posted:

Wait until the first crisis unless you're super hankering to go fight a bunch of random lairs, imo. Holy war or noble crises = you'll be drowning in decent armor as long as you can get through a single rough fight. Greenskin/undead crisis = Loads o' money makes the opportunity cost of buying armor pretty low.

I wouldn't wait for the crisis because it's risky taking on a noble army in raider mail. That's asking for trouble if even like one billhook lands. And while you'll often load up on good helmets after fighting a noble company, most of the body armour you'll get is only like 150 durability so you still need to be buying the better stuff when you can.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: nvm

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I end up knifing fallen heros whenever possible and having my guys wear dead guy armor for a lot of the turn 60-100ish phase, until I can reliably get better armor. Honestly some of the fallen hero stuff is in the 240-260 range too so it lasts for a really long time.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Another fun gamble is taking the odd bandit mission in the southern kingdoms after the enemies have scaled up sufficiently and hoping you get assassins.

Their masks and armor are the best non-famed stuff in the game for light armor brothers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mostly just end up buying armours. If you're hitting enough camps you're getting tons of cash anyway.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I've got 70 hours in this game and still suck, and have never survived to a late game crisis. I'm getting slowly better, but I'm really bad at figuring out what bros are "good". What do y'all usually look for in terms of starting stats? Especially fatigue and resolve, cause I have no idea how to gauge good numbers there and it seems like new bros always have low ones

e: drat I finally got an end game event and immediately got wiped out by goblins. The worst part is the event was Nobles War so it was just a random attack lol

camoseven fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 9, 2021

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I would advise savescumming hard while still learning the game. Look at potential bros in terms of filling positions: you'll want one or two dedicated shield tanks, front liners more dedicated to killing starting with shields and hopefully advancing to 2h, polearm guys, and ranged guys.
For any melee role, melee defense is the most important stat, anything over 0 and stars is ok. Health below 50 is bad, fatigue under 100 isn't good, melee attack under 50 is bad.
Resolve under 25 makes any bro not great
Ranged guys need 50 or more ranged.

I wouldn't use a melee bro if they don't have stars in matk, mdef, hp, or fatigue, atleast one star in the first two.
Those criteria will get you bros that can make it through crises, prioritize mdef for frontliners on level up. Use shields and spears for low level bros, pay attention to the tool tips for different weapons as they tell you the modifiers that weapons have.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Webknechts are so terrible. Love smashing the free from net button, excellent gameplay.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

camoseven posted:

I've got 70 hours in this game and still suck, and have never survived to a late game crisis. I'm getting slowly better, but I'm really bad at figuring out what bros are "good". What do y'all usually look for in terms of starting stats? Especially fatigue and resolve, cause I have no idea how to gauge good numbers there and it seems like new bros always have low ones

e: drat I finally got an end game event and immediately got wiped out by goblins. The worst part is the event was Nobles War so it was just a random attack lol

This is a bit of a hot topic in the thread, since we cover a spectrum of play from "just starting, trying to live for more than a week" to "getting by on ironman" to "doing all the lategame legendary locations" and what constitutes a "good brother" can mean wildly different things depending on your goal. I'll try and dig up my posts about this from upthread, but I will disclose that I use a mod that shows brother's stats on tryout, which reduces the grind of finding good bros by a lot

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 9, 2021

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

rideANDxORdie posted:

Yeah outside of a few exceptions (sometimes you get a bro with ridiculous tank stats but absolute dogshit MAtk) you won't want anyone who won't hit at least 80 MAtk. IDK if it's the specific issue here but I do see a lot of people overvaluing stars in a stat over the starting value - a brother with 52 MAtk and two stars is simply average, not a prodigy. Base MAtk rolls for most classes is 47-57, you really want someone to max roll on that or at least 54-ish to start. This is why finding cheap backgrounds that can potentially roll higher is so important - Butchers get slept on a lot in my opinion but for a lowborn class they can roll up to 59 MAtk with slightly better averages in fatigue, health and resolve too. Militiamen can roll up to 62 and have the same slight edge in fatigue, health and resolve. Squires offer one of the best stat/cost values in the game, I would love to have an entire company of them but they're simply hard to find. They can even make good ranged characters given the right star placement. A lot of what people consider the best backgrounds (brawlers, caravan hands, wildmen) can only roll up to 57 but have bonuses to minimum so they're more consistently in the 54-57 range.

If you haven't (I doubt there's any of us who haven't here lol), take a sec to look at the stat spread for backgrounds here:
https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Backgrounds

The new nomad and assassin backgrounds have amazing stat spreads for the price. All you need to worry about with a nomad is a low resolve roll - 30 is terrible but 37 is workable with a few good rolls, gifted, or iron mind (w/e the resolve perk is). In return, you're basically guaranteed a workable MAtk and at least functional MDef and RDef with a chance for thief-like 10+ rolls in each

E: Looks like the new manhunter background has pretty good rolls too tbh

If you unwind the thread from this post there's some real good discussion around it. here's some more. This is not thread gospel, just my two cents and again if you rewind the thread to around this post there's a lot of good discussion

rideANDxORdie posted:

Having less then six people EVER after day 1 or 2 (outside of gladiators/lone wolf) is asking for it IMO. I typically go for a village first to just get up to this number, this is the only time I'll even consider backgrounds like cripples or refugees and usually still won't need to go that low to get to six.

Eight is where I actually like to be in the early, early game and at this point I'll hire anyone from my preferred cheap background list with decent rolls/traits, regardless of their stars. If these guys roll great and have the stars in the right place, I'll build them as if I'll have them for the crisis. Everyone who rolls good but without the stars will get the adaptation/gifted/colussus/rotate martyr build I use on guys I don't mind dying.

By day 30 I'm usually up to 10-12 bros and just starting to get a lot more selective. This is both from raising my standards on what constitutes a decent frontliner and from starting to need more specialized recruits, like sergeants and ranged candidates. I've said it before but grinding for good ranged recruits is one of my least favorite parts of the game, it's gotten slightly better now that there are viable options for throwing/guns/xbows that don't require 100 RAtk. At this point, the only dirt-cheap backgrounds I'll still try out are brawlers, thieves, and messengers. Usually if I'm still looking at more frontliners, it'll be from the 300g-1,500g range so like lumberjacks, wildmen, militia, caravan hands, nomads, assassins and manhunters. Squires are basically exactly what I'm looking for but I've never really been able to find more than one at a time. I'm really looking for MAtk rolls in the high 50s or the 60s and at least one star in both MAtk and MDef, with a preference for either higher base or more stars. This part feels like the longest and stretches from day 30ish to the first crisis.

By first crisis (like day 90) I'm usually at 20/20 or close to it, but not all of those brothers are late-game material. The crisis tends to thresh out the mediocre frontliners. To replace them, now I'm trying out the real cream of the crop recruits - sellswords, raiders, hedge knights and sword masters. But even then, you need good rolls - an average hedge knight is not that different from a good-but-great farmer. However, top-tier backgrounds with good rolls and stars will blow every other background out of the water - you haven't really lived till you've drafted a level 4 raider who's starting with 67 MAtk and two stars in it, 10+ each in MDef/RDef, 105 fatigue, 62 health and 44 resolve. The new gladiator background can give you some INSANE brothers too but as you all probably know, these guys come with a price tag. I wouldn't recommend pulling from this pool of backgrounds until you have the paymaster or can afford to pick him up on short notice.

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 9, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah but journeying around with just two or three bros is fun as hell

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

aphid_licker posted:

Webknechts are so terrible. Love smashing the free from net button, excellent gameplay.
One simple trick spiders don't want you to know: use spearwall on your whole frontline :engleft:

Well tbh the fight still kinda sucks since they eventually spill around your flanks or come from behind. Having a polearm on each backline is good there because they often kill lightly wounded spiders in 1 hit and your front can rotate them out of danger. Bigger spider fights can also pay surprisingly well so it's a solid but tedious way to earn if you can do it safely

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah they're not a huge problem unless in lol numbers, I just hate the tedious buttonsmashing

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Small tip on spiders, unequip your shields and have everyone just two hand whatever weapons you have

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

aphid_licker posted:

This, but with exactly the same sound direction.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

aphid_licker posted:

isn't that renowned explorers

Veryslightlymad posted:

This, but with exactly the same sound direction.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
hrgrglrglgrl *Breakdance*

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ZearothK posted:

isn't that renowned explorers

Someone else already recced RE to me for this reason and now I probably should actually look into it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RE is good but it's not really like Battle Brothers at all, it's pretty boardgamey (i dont think anyone seriously meant that it was BBey, just want to be clear)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

RE is good but it's not really like Battle Brothers at all, it's pretty boardgamey (i dont think anyone seriously meant that it was BBey, just want to be clear)

Yeah, it is not like BB, it is not a gritty formation fighting turn based sandbox tactics game at all, but you do get to use social actions to win fights and it is pretty good at what it does.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You could leave all mechanics and gameplay 100% untouched and just reskin the bonk to stun action to a dazzle with sick move action is my point, the grittiness is surface-level

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm doing the peasant milita and my best bannerman was killed. Now I have the ambition for a sarge but I can't find any recruits that are suitable because they all have poo poo base morale. Any ideas?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Cancel the ambition for one you can attain faster

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Alternatively you can get the ambition done by taking Rally on a different bro even if you haven't found a good sergeant yet. If you have anybody disposable who isn't likely to stick around long-term, give them Rally to get the ambition done while you keep looking, and it won't be a wasted perk if the bro isn't sticking around anyway.

e: alternately, with a peasant militia you often want two bros with Rally anyway since your line is long enough that one sergeant can't cover the whole thing, so if you have someone with decent resolve but not stellar, you can give them Rally and make them a kind of corporal for times of need later on, again still looking for a good sergeant in the long run.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm doing the peasant milita and my best bannerman was killed. Now I have the ambition for a sarge but I can't find any recruits that are suitable because they all have poo poo base morale. Any ideas?

The best base resolve you can possibly get with the Peasant recruits is 48, which can be found on Miners.

Butchers, Brawlers, Militia, Gravediggers, Grave Robbers, Houndmasters, Lumberjacks and Poachers can hit 45 (Poachers can also have really LOW resolve, too).

Of these, Butchers, Lumberjacks and Militia are the most likely to be generally good. But then, with sergeants, you arguably don't want them to be too good, because then you'll want them to do other things, primarily, and not have the morale perks.

If you specifically want them to hold the banner, consider the humble Miner. The terrible stamina isn't really an issue on a Bannerman. Miners won't start with less than 50 Melee, but they won't be better than most backgrounds at it, either, just guaranteed to not be worse.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I paused that run for now. I tried the poachers start with Ironman since I like the speed / line of sight bonuses. However one noble house will start off hostile. Is it recommended to just raid their caravans or would it be better to let things smooth out over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just ignore the bad faction unless they dominate the map. Poachers is one of my favourite starts and you can just work around them generally.