Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the new ashlands stairs are actually pretty easy to build in a confined space with. been using them to build inside certain towers in ashlands. they can be rounded fairly well:

also discovered a quest, which took me all over ashlands and was pretty fun to complete and had a neat reward.

don't think it's really better than fully upgraded mistwalker, but it looks cool, and that's the most important stat for a video game item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Public test patch notes. Dont read if you hate spoilers.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/4199120329649538868?l=english

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

That was a *lot* of tar.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

went through my screenshots, and it's very fun watching your town grow. wish i'd taken more when it was just a shack on the shore.

also my flying fortress i built when I somehow managed to mine out a mistlands cliff such that it was floating in the air, but still connected to a rock on the ground. which I immediately recognized as a powerful magic rock.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Last night after I confirmed my current mistlands was too tiny (but surprisingly good for spawning like 6 gjalls; being adjacent to plains and black forest I got a ringside seat to some gjall vs troll/loxes), I moved on to another island and got a "proper" mistlands biome with ancient armor and so far one infested mine.

For awhile when I've seen builds using nothing but black marble, I thought they looked tacky without any contrast. I still feel that way visually, but after deconstructing one tower and filling a (non reinforced) chest with black marble, I get using it so much. Stuff is like beech tree wood in the mistlands.

Now I'm thinking of ways I can spice up my base.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

best way to get a load of black marble is to excavate the giant skeletons. dig down as far as you can until you hit bedrock or water, all the way under it, then dig out the whole skeleton and just pop it to make it rain black marble. i like to put up wisplights so it feels like an archaeological site.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Do people not spam the mistlands with torches?

My map following is ok, my memory of where I've been is ok-ish, but it's so disorienting I feel like if I get attacked/chased, I'll panic and either fall off/run into a cliff with low stamina.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cheesus posted:

My map following is ok, my memory of where I've been is ok-ish, but it's so disorienting I feel like if I get attacked/chased, I'll panic and either fall off/run into a cliff with low stamina.

Yep. Those torches work well but i wish they had more vertical scale to their bubble. I have been attacked by gjall because id run right under them because they gleefully float above the area cleared by the wisp torch.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Zodium posted:

also my flying fortress i built when I somehow managed to mine out a mistlands cliff such that it was floating in the air, but still connected to a rock on the ground. which I immediately recognized as a powerful magic rock.

That's very cool - although you now have a base with load-bearing sliver of rock somewhere in the ground. One troll swing could bring the whole thing crashing down :p

Cheesus posted:

I just entered mistlands for the first time myself, and find it relatively ok to get around - the only thing is you can't really make roads there, too many jagged cliffs. So carting out resources means putting up portals.

Cheesus posted:

For awhile when I've seen builds using nothing but black marble, I thought they looked tacky without any contrast. I still feel that way visually, but after deconstructing one tower and filling a (non reinforced) chest with black marble, I get using it so much. Stuff is like beech tree wood in the mistlands.

It's too dark for my taste. I wish they added some lighter building materials - limestone or the like. Or added a system where you can cover the cobblestone pieces in plaster, that would work too. I tried a mod to add color to the pieces, but that ended up looking a bit too unnatural.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 9, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Philonius posted:

That's very cool - although you now have a base with load-bearing sliver of rock somewhere in the ground. One troll swing could bring the whole thing crashing down :p

I just entered mistlands for the first time myself, and find it relatively ok to get around - the only thing is you can't really make roads there, too many jagged cliffs. So carting out resources means putting up portals.

It's too dark for my taste. I wish they added some lighter building materials - limestone or the like. Or added a system where you can cover the cobblestone pieces in plaster, that would work too. I tried a mod to add color to the pieces, but that ended up looking a bit too unnatural.

i think only the mistlands event can fire in that biome, but a neat feature of the flying fortress is that mobs will just walk around underneath it without attacking. except for gjalls, which will generally knock over a few lights and banners through the marble walls.

you're in luck on the lighter building materials in ashlands, though I personally don't really like it. but I also think black marble looks very good for magical / mystical stuff.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I love making roads in the Mistlands. Just crazy winding stone staircases, bridges, and cantilevered walkways everywhere.

It is difficult to make roads wide enough for a cart, though.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Coming back to the game after a long hiatus and my building brain is so rusty. Just the worst, ugliest houses positioned as awkwardly as possible.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Once a year when we boot up a fresh server and make it to the stonecutter tech area O have to spend an hour relearning the building mechanics. I would be so thrilled if you could dig into the side of a mountain to save a heap of effort but all ground layers auto descend.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Starting in March, my house building got relatively better but I'm otherwise hopeless. Seeing what my brother in law (who has played the game close to its release) was building on his server compared to mine just embarrassed me.

In an effort to up my game, I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TttDdY3JvPI

I didn't build it step-by-step, but used it as a technique/guideline (for example, mine's 10x10 instead of 12x12) and I love it. The layout is great and having all of the upgrades in the basement makes the usable space clean and efficient.

I wiped out a Draugr village at the top of a hill overlooking the ocean and doggedly stuck with the location (one of the rehabbed buildings is now my chicken coop). After realizing quickly that hoofing ore up the hill was a chore, I finally completed a double-wide stone stair case to my dock which is both ugly and janky looking.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I wouldnt feel too fazed about it. Building is like 90% austhetic and 10% function.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I have never seen the term austhetic but lmao

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ashlands live release apparently set for May 14.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Starting in March, my house building got relatively better but I'm otherwise hopeless. Seeing what my brother in law (who has played the game close to its release) was building on his server compared to mine just embarrassed me.

In an effort to up my game, I came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TttDdY3JvPI

I didn't build it step-by-step, but used it as a technique/guideline (for example, mine's 10x10 instead of 12x12) and I love it. The layout is great and having all of the upgrades in the basement makes the usable space clean and efficient.

I wiped out a Draugr village at the top of a hill overlooking the ocean and doggedly stuck with the location (one of the rehabbed buildings is now my chicken coop). After realizing quickly that hoofing ore up the hill was a chore, I finally completed a double-wide stone stair case to my dock which is both ugly and janky looking.

I like this guy's house (and his "factory"), but like you I changed it to 10x10. I also wanted a separate workshop, so I have two of them, but I need to figure out how to modify the roofs to be different from each other.

I built the entire 12x12 thing, realized I didn't like it for a couple reasons (one being my base location), so I used it as an excuse to move to a small island I found. As soon as I can figure out how to bring a wolf pair there (they keep trying to loving attack sea serpents and hopping off the boat), my island will be grey dwarf and boar free.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xenix posted:

I built the entire 12x12 thing, realized I didn't like it for a couple reasons (one being my base location), so I used it as an excuse to move to a small island I found. As soon as I can figure out how to bring a wolf pair there (they keep trying to loving attack sea serpents and hopping off the boat), my island will be grey dwarf and boar free.

sail the route without wolves and kill any serpents along the way. if it starts storming or becomes night, stop moving until it's day and clear.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ashlands is live.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hell yeah.

flametal is wild. that's an oak tree down there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

Ashlands is live.

No major patch changes? I guess the biggest thing is now mods might get updated.

I need my craft from containers and torches mods.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I logged back in and almost lost my portal network because it was built in a temporary wood shack over terraformed land that I never got around to building out. When I logged back in, there was no support and it crumbled. I had to load another timestamp and run immediately to place supports.

Not looking forward to seeker raids where my primary base is at.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I spoiled myself with some Ashland videos, but otherwise didn't pay attention to the non-Ashland changes.

I really like moving stone/black marble to the new "heavy" tab.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

one thing that really grinds my gears is they don't give you the dark material ashland fortresses are made of. :mad:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

one thing that really grinds my gears is they don't give you the dark material ashland fortresses are made of. :mad:

They don't let you make the same building pieces as the dvergrs in ashlands either, kinda sad. I wanted to reclaim their house but the parts are all different.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Salynne posted:

They don't let you make the same building pieces as the dvergrs in ashlands either, kinda sad. I wanted to reclaim their house but the parts are all different.

yeah, it's weird there are one or two black marble pieces used in the dvergr towers you can't build, but this is like, an entire type of building material. it also looks better than the grausten you get with ashlands. very strange choices.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

yeah, it's weird there are one or two black marble pieces used in the dvergr towers you can't build, but this is like, an entire type of building material. it also looks better than the grausten you get with ashlands. very strange choices.

I mean, I do like all the new build pieces too. Just yeah, strange choices. They clearly have the models.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone seen a message about their server running out of space? Ours just did and started spitting errors that the world can't be saved.

A few minutes after that I ventured into ashlands for the first time and nearly immediately died :v:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Been trying to start a forest fire...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do I need to do anything to opt out of the beta? I wasn't a part of the Mistlands beta.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The whole game is in beta...? What would you be opting out of?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Do I need to do anything to opt out of the beta? I wasn't a part of the Mistlands beta.

yeah you gotta change back to the main branch in the same menu you set the pbt branch.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Go to your game in Steam, then into Properties, followed by Betas. From there, choose None for the Beta Participation dropdown.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zurreco posted:

The whole game is in beta...? What would you be opting out of?

The Ashlands test branch that went live just recently. I was in that and wanted to get back into the main thing in case they patch it since I assume they aren't going to keep patching their PTR.

Zodium posted:

yeah you gotta change back to the main branch in the same menu you set the pbt branch.
Cool, thanks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Burns posted:

So getting to ashlands:

Ive not actually tried this but I do think it is possible to make it there in a longship. So long as your longship survives long enough to get to those pillar rocks, which from youtube vids ive seen seems possible, that border the ashland. Assuming you get there, it may be possible to place a workbench on them (this will determine the viability of this strat). If so, you can then place a portal there but also use beams to essentially create a bridge to other pillars and essentially bridge your way into the Ashlands without the need for the new ship.

I did this but it took probably 500 iron and 5000 stone and 5 hours of building. I just imported it all. I now have a portal at the start of the pillars and another near the shore. Wow the enemies are aggressive but I took out the closest spawner and am making progress.

Died a few times falling in the water while building bridges but the new snapping options made it much easier

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

desperate to know why you would do this when a drakkar costs ten iron, thirty black marble, fifty fine wood and thirty yggdrasil wood and can sail up to the shore

edit: forgot to post this but in the last pre-release patch, they made it so the spikes on ashforts drop scrap bronze when you destroy them. hell yeah. time to take a mallet to all of them.

edit the second: ashlands is wonderfully dangerous. every now and then you just end up overwhelmed, out of stamina and eitr even after meads, because there are too many mobs and then a fallen valkyrie or starred asksvin shows up, or a marksman knocks your rear end into lava while mining flametal. i've lost almost half my skill points in everything except elemental and blood magic. down to 46 from 85 swords. I wish I liked the visuals more because the gameplay is great.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 16, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah my take is that ash is just as hard as the mists but significantly less bullshit. You generally get the chance to square up and see whatever's got bad intention coming. I can't tell you how many times I got ganked by a two-star seeker flying out of nowhere in the mists and got staggered before the little bastard even showed up on my screen. I have seven or eight hours running around in the new biome and I haven't had anything like that happen. When you get in trouble it's generally because you pulled too much aggro and run out of stamina/magic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The charred warrior moveset making parries a lot harder is funny. I still think that introducing magic the way they did might have been a mistake, but it's all still fun. I think I prefer melee for fun and will keep doing it, but for some things magic is just objectively better.

For solo play anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah my take is that ash is just as hard as the mists but significantly less bullshit. You generally get the chance to square up and see whatever's got bad intention coming. I can't tell you how many times I got ganked by a two-star seeker flying out of nowhere in the mists and got staggered before the little bastard even showed up on my screen. I have seven or eight hours running around in the new biome and I haven't had anything like that happen. When you get in trouble it's generally because you pulled too much aggro and run out of stamina/magic.

interesting. very much having the opposite experience where mistlands really wasn't that dangerous because you were rarely dealing with more than 2-3 mobs at a time, so watching out was generally sufficient, while ashlands just keeps spawning mobs while you're engaged in fighting other mobs. died when a fallen valkyrie spawned while I was fighting two asksvin today.