Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a neat cape posted:

Turkey leg or churro?

why must a man choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

My understanding is that they didn’t want weaponized bogus charges to be disqualifying but also the founders were naive enough to think voters would not elect a legitimate felon.

As destructive as Trump is, it is indeed fascinating to see all the structural flaws and stress fractures of our institutions buckling under the weight of a shameless gameshow host and huckster.

To be fair, historically there are more instances of the former, like with Eugene Debs. The Supreme Court recently ruled (and correctly imo) that to exclude a candidate off the ballot based on the 14th amendment, they need to be found guilty by a federal court of aiding or abetting the enemy or fomenting insurrection.

I also think a lot of these checks and structure and is pretty good, but like any system of government it relies on good faith of those in power to reasonably follow them. Instead we get 3-4 SC judges and Cannon just doing whatever the gently caress they want without regard to consistency or process.

Also, he may be thinking of voting, which in almost every state precludes you from doing so if you have a felony unless you jump through insane hoops.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

To be fair, historically there are more instances of the former, like with Eugene Debs. The Supreme Court recently ruled (and correctly imo) that to exclude a candidate off the ballot based on the 14th amendment, they need to be found guilty by a federal court of aiding or abetting the enemy or fomenting insurrection.

I also think a lot of these checks and structure and is pretty good, but like any system of government it relies on good faith of those in power to reasonably follow them. Instead we get 3-4 SC judges and Cannon just doing whatever the gently caress they want without regard to consistency or process.

Also, he may be thinking of voting, which in almost every state precludes you from doing so if you have a felony unless you jump through insane hoops.

This really only applies if he's serving time while trying to vote. Most states let you vote once your sentence is over. I suppose if he's convicted this year then he'll be serving time either in jail or probation. In that case he'd need to move to DC, Vermont, or Maine because they let you vote even if incarcerated.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Work got a new thermal printer.

Figured I'd test it out.

If Captain Dudley Smith comes by asking quesitons, we'll say the printer did it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

why must a man choose?

How many houses do you have to mortgage???

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Bird in a Blender posted:

This really only applies if he's serving time while trying to vote. Most states let you vote once your sentence is over. I suppose if he's convicted this year then he'll be serving time either in jail or probation. In that case he'd need to move to DC, Vermont, or Maine because they let you vote even if incarcerated.

Theoretically yes, but a lot of states have poo poo like restitution, or paying back the state for the cost of incarceration.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Its Rinaldo posted:

How many houses do you have to mortgage???

let's just say i'd be pi*nth against the wall :twisted:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Its Rinaldo posted:

Days like today remind me why I put up with the 8 Months of Darkness in the Puget Sound area.

Yep the mountain's out.

I drive into Renton from the west and always get a great view of Mt. Rainier in her morning glory (when she's out of course) the best time of year honestly is like February because driving in to work at 7am and the sun is rising just behind the cascades delivering stunning purples, oranges, pinks across the horizon which look great in contrast to the snow covered mountain

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

My understanding is that they didn’t want weaponized bogus charges to be disqualifying but also the founders were naive enough to think voters would not elect a legitimate felon.

As destructive as Trump is, it is indeed fascinating to see all the structural flaws and stress fractures of our institutions buckling under the weight of a shameless gameshow host and huckster.

I think most or all of the signatories of the constitution were rebels against the crown, too. The colonial courts and the abuses of the crown-appointed governors was in their very recent memory. Many of these men were lawyers, we can assume people writing a constitution have great respect for the law as an institution, but they were deeply, profoundly skeptical of authority and factionism and did not want to create a system that would allow a small majority to exercise tyranny against a minority. (Especially the slaveholders.)

I haven't looked it up but I'd be unsurprised if the founders considered and actively rejected any language that would potentially allow exclusion from office a person convicted of a crime. They intentionally put the power to balance the president into the hands of the other two branches, and the power of trial, conviction, and expulsion from office/barring from running again is explicitly a trial by the senate and the chief justice.

lol, those idiots

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

Theoretically yes, but a lot of states have poo poo like restitution, or paying back the state for the cost of incarceration.

Like Florida but also I don’t think it applies to out of state felonies?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I love my giant potentially catastrophically dangerous mountain.

Just counting down until the weekend and going to the Mariners game tomorrow for state employees night.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

I was getting my info from here.
https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/felon-voting-rights

quote:

In the District of Columbia, Maine and Vermont, felons never lose their right to vote, even while they are incarcerated.

In 23 states, felons lose their voting rights only while incarcerated, and receive automatic restoration upon release. Note that in Maryland, convictions for buying or selling votes can only be restored through pardon.

In 15 states, felons lose their voting rights during incarceration, and for a period of time after, typically while on parole and/or probation. Voting rights are automatically restored after this time period. Former felons may also have to pay any outstanding fines, fees or restitution before their rights are restored.

In 10 states, felons lose their voting rights indefinitely for some crimes, or require a governor’s pardon for voting rights to be restored, face an additional waiting period after completion of sentence (including parole and probation) or require additional action before voting rights can be restored. These states are listed in the fourth category on Table 1. Details on these states are found in Table 2 below.

So it seems like 3 you never lose the right, 23 is automatically back, 15 is technically automatically back, but in reality you have to jump through hoops, and 10 are never get them back.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

For those not following the Trump thread / trial

lol, lmao

I don't always keep up with the Trump thread because god drat it can blow well past 1000 new posts on a big day. But I've been making a point this week and it's certainly paid off. See you and Silly Burrito in there a lot :respek:

Also glad I kept up so I didn't miss this meme on the RFK brainworms stuff :laffo:

swickles posted:

fomenting insurrection

Good thing Trump totally didn't foment insurrection :thunk: Probably never going to catch a conviction for that one though sadly

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 10, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's hilarious, and accurate, that when RFK jr's spokesperson was asked if the brain worm thing should worry people about his ability to be president the response was,"have you seen who else is running?"

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Finished the Manhunt mini-series, and it was pretty good, but now I'm wondering why they gave credence to some of the long-standing conspiracies about Stanton, Booth, etc.?

Edit:

I will say that I wan't crazy how the writer(s) weaved some of Trump into the George Sanders character, but even knowing that the writers were imbuing the series with some current-day undertones, when Jefferson Davis tells Stanton that someday they'll take the White House and the confederacy will live on, it still sent some chills down my spine.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 10, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I don't always keep up with the Trump thread because god drat it can blow well past 1000 new posts on a big day. But I've been making a point this week and it's certainly paid off. See you and Silly Burrito in there a lot :respek:

Also glad I kept up so I didn't miss this meme on the RFK brainworms stuff :laffo:

i don't know how you guys find time for it because i'm just trying to stay busy between job applications and interviews

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Single rider life is a dream

It rules. Got a reservation for Incredicoaster, did it, was like "I wanna do it again" and singled it in 5 minutes.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Canned Sunshine posted:

Finished the Manhunt mini-series, and it was pretty good, but now I'm wondering why they gave credence to some of the long-standing conspiracies about Stanton, Booth, etc.?

What are some of the long-standing conspiracies?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The real power reservation is for Oga's Cantina.

I'm still mad I wasn't able to secure a spot to eat there.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are some of the long-standing conspiracies?

Um, generally the level of involvement of the Confederate government in Booth's plan, the actual amount of involvement/influence of George Sanders, and also that Edwin Stanton was actually part of a plot to kidnap Lincoln (though in Stanton's case, he didn't want Lincoln to go easy on Reconstruction), which is why he ripped out pages and burned them in the show

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Docjowles posted:

Good thing Trump totally didn't foment insurrection :thunk: Probably never going to catch a conviction for that one though sadly

Come for the memes, stay for the eventual guilty verdict.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Docjowles posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wonder how all the people who thought Sydney Sweeney being on SNL was "anti-woke" will respond to her newest film project.

https://twitter.com/sydneysupdate/status/1788463030629470244?t=Tuao0damL_dDlw4Ka7BQrA&s=19

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Oh way to give me violent flashbacks to working in a daycare. The Richard Scary books were my favorites to give to kids, followed by the Miss Nelson and Wayside School books for the kids who were on elementary school.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I wonder how all the people who thought Sydney Sweeney being on SNL was "anti-woke" will respond to her newest film project.

https://twitter.com/sydneysupdate/status/1788463030629470244?t=Tuao0damL_dDlw4Ka7BQrA&s=19

Who cares what 5 people on twitter think

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mildly inebriated. Want everyone to know this shitposter loves and appreciates you all. Thanks for being here TFF.

E: gently caress the Cowboys

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

gently caress the Cowboys, indeed, friendo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

Mildly inebriated. Want everyone to know this shitposter loves and appreciates you all. Thanks for being here TFF.

My boy QF :hfive:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Quiet Feet posted:

Truer drunken words have never been spoken.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't post much but have noticed that there have been routinely 150-200 people browsing TFF and its the off season.

POST YOU COWARDS even if its.just to post in solidarity of gently caress the Cowboys

(But also gently caress the rams)

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry for my posts lurkers

And cheers Quiet Feet

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I drop off NFL news during the off season because I enjoy being surprised by the ways in which the Raiders will fail me or exceed my very low expectations. Unless it's funny non news, then I'll pay a little attention.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Something something speedbags

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

:hai:

You’re good people, Quiet Feet.

gently caress the Cowboys.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My puppy just learned a hard lesson in induced vomiting after I witnessed her absolutely inhale two of my wife’s little stretchy socks she wears with flats.

I’ll be goddamned if I’m going to risk an intestinal blockage this weekend.

Poor sweetie. I feel so bad doing it, but the peroxide really makes them spew. Got the socks up!

Quiet Feet posted:

:hf:

Right back at you.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

ice water is so f ucking delicious. my urge for beer is gone.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Since it's poo poo posting time, finally getting married next weekend and holy poo poo is it a real pain in the rear end organizing everything. Even if we had dumb money to throw at a wedding I wouldn't do it because I think it's a ridiculous waste so we're handling a lot of things ourselves but it's still going to cost between 4-5k when all is said and done. The money isn't a big deal compared to all the headaches involved but it just blows my mind that apparently the average wedding cost is around $30,000. I'd rather have a 10 minute ceremony at the Las Vegas drive thru chapel or a courthouse ceremony than blow that much money on a single day.

I just want it to be done so life can resume its normally scheduled programming!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

At the Mariner’s game tonight and it’s just breathtakingly beautiful.

Friends are here. My sweetie is wearing daisy dukes. Children are laughing. Wonderful day at the park.

Also there’s baseball but who cares.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

My puppy just learned a hard lesson in induced vomiting after I witnessed her absolutely inhale two of my wife’s little stretchy socks she wears with flats.

I’ll be goddamned if I’m going to risk an intestinal blockage this weekend.

Poor sweetie. I feel so bad doing it, but the peroxide really makes them spew. Got the socks up!

We’ve recently had to start crating our 11 year old dog again after not using one since she was a puppy. Lately any time we leave the house she eats whatever she can get her paws on. Socks, trash, tissues, random kid toys, plastic bags. It’s a pain in the rear end for us and dangerous for her. Only a couple days in and only for short stretches so far but she is not pleased with us. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Black Sunshine posted:

Since it's poo poo posting time, finally getting married next weekend and holy poo poo is it a real pain in the rear end organizing everything. Even if we had dumb money to throw at a wedding I wouldn't do it because I think it's a ridiculous waste so we're handling a lot of things ourselves but it's still going to cost between 4-5k when all is said and done. The money isn't a big deal compared to all the headaches involved but it just blows my mind that apparently the average wedding cost is around $30,000. I'd rather have a 10 minute ceremony at the Las Vegas drive thru chapel or a courthouse ceremony than blow that much money on a single day.

I just want it to be done so life can resume its normally scheduled programming!

Congratulations!!!