Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So after a few months of hemming and hawing I said fuckit and threw my hands up in the air. I don't really want to deal with 40+MP raw files slowing down my workflow and wonky UX so I passed over the a7rii in favor of an xt1 in the hopes that Fuji keeps putting out good poo poo. I've got a month to decide if I like this enough to liquidate my Canon kit. The other major turnoff for me was the price of Sony glass and the fact that a 24-70 f/2.8 is still on the horizon.

So I ended up with the xt1, a 23mm f/1.4 (35mm equivalent) and a 16-55 f/2.8 (24-85 equivalent). We'll see how this thing works out, I'm flying to Ireland in November to catch 6 U2 shows so hopefully it serves me well. The 56mm f/1.2 is awfully tempting, as is the 55-140 f/2.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

So I ended up with the xt1, a 23mm f/1.4 (35mm equivalent) and a 16-55 f/2.8 (24-85 equivalent). We'll see how this thing works out, I'm flying to Ireland in November to catch 6 U2 shows so hopefully it serves me well. The 56mm f/1.2 is awfully tempting, as is the 55-140 f/2.8.

If you're shooting events, the 55-140 is probably a better option first.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

MMD3 posted:

So after a few months of hemming and hawing I said fuckit and threw my hands up in the air. I don't really want to deal with 40+MP raw files slowing down my workflow and wonky UX so I passed over the a7rii in favor of an xt1 in the hopes that Fuji keeps putting out good poo poo. I've got a month to decide if I like this enough to liquidate my Canon kit. The other major turnoff for me was the price of Sony glass and the fact that a 24-70 f/2.8 is still on the horizon.

Welcome to the dark side. It rules. Also, don’t get mad if Fuji releases some excellent new bodies in January or February. Just enjoy that hot little XT1!

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

timrenzi574 posted:

The STM motors are clearly slower with viewfinder PDAF, but when you use them in Live View, they are just as clearly way faster than the USM lenses.

I have a Canon 70D and a EOS M3 I mostly use with EF mount lenses and own, for comparison, the following lenses:

Sigma EF 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM A
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

I also have some other STM lenses but they are EF-M (and my experience with them is roughly the same as what I am about to say about the 50mm). I have also shot the Sigma EF 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A and have the same impression as the 24mm vs the EF 35mm IS USM.

On the M3, which has no viewfinder, all of the Canon STM lenses are the slowest and quietest.

The Canon USM is the noisiest and fastest.

The Sigma HSM is almost equal to the Canon USM in speed and makes almost no noise, roughly equal to the Canon STM.

Canon STM designs are intended for shooting video and prioritize quietness.

The Canon USM designs are prioritized for shooting stills and make as much noise as required to get the job done as fast as possible.

The Sigma HSM is probably a nicer balance.

Having just run all of these lenses across my 70D in Live View, I have the same opinion, and I am not seeing a huge difference with the viewfinder other than when I shut half the lights off and the PDAF sucks. The M3 tends to prefer PDAF but falls back to CDAF quickly in low light for speed.

edit: I stepped all of these to f/2 for comparison.

windex fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 8, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

I have a Canon 70D and a EOS M3 I mostly use with EF mount lenses and own, for comparison, the following lenses:

Sigma EF 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM A
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

I also have some other STM lenses but they are EF-M (and my experience with them is roughly the same as what I am about to say about the 50mm). I have also shot the Sigma EF 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM A and have the same impression as the 24mm vs the EF 35mm IS USM.

On the M3, which has no viewfinder, all of the Canon STM lenses are the slowest and quietest.

The Canon USM is the noisiest and fastest.

The Sigma HSM is almost equal to the Canon USM in speed and makes almost no noise, roughly equal to the Canon STM.

Canon STM designs are intended for shooting video and prioritize quietness.

The Canon USM designs are prioritized for shooting stills and make as much noise as required to get the job done as fast as possible.

The Sigma HSM is probably a nicer balance.

Having just run all of these lenses across my 70D in Live View, I have the same opinion, and I am not seeing a huge difference with the viewfinder other than when I shut half the lights off and the PDAF sucks. The M3 tends to prefer PDAF but falls back to CDAF quickly in low light for speed.

edit: I stepped all of these to f/2 for comparison.

Both of those cameras use PDAF in live view. Much like the A7R2 , which finally can focus really well with USM lenses.

If you put a USM vs STM lens on a camera with CDAF live view (like the 6D) , you will see the difference - the USM moves around faster, but fails to get to the point faster because without an AF system telling it "go exactly here" , it falls flat.

It will roll back and forth across the focus point repeatedly until it finds the right spot. The STM lens will go to the focus point with a little less zip initially, but it will roll right into it on the first try. Overall it ends up taking less time than the USM because of that.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

timrenzi574 posted:

Both of those cameras use PDAF in live view. Much like the A7R2 , which finally can focus really well with USM lenses.

Ahh, okay. My use of the 70D these days is restricted to telephotos normally that I won't throw on the tiny M bodies and I was under the impression it was CDAF in live view and PDAF in viewfinder mode. I know CDAF is effectively disabled outside of live view on the 70D, but it may use PDAF in live view as well.

I use the M bodies a lot more day to day but prefer fast primes on them over zooms and the bluegreen tinting on the EF-M lenses is gross 99% of the time.

I'd suggest trying the Sigma HSM Art lenses to see what you get, then. But I'm in Japan, where Sigma lenses are easy to come by and try out.

edit: I may be closer to correct than I first thought, the center focus on the 70D behaves differently at apertures under f/5.6, but while it skips the dual pixel tech there, it does work closer to the M3's hybrid apparently. Me, I usually just have manual focus peaking turned on and lenses in MF.

windex fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 8, 2015

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm wondering if a used E-M5 is the right camera for me. Right now my father and I share our gear, we have a 70D, a T5i, a bunch of EF mount glass and a ton of M42 glass. I'm pretty happy with our setup (the T5i is kinda redundant but we need two bodies) but I think I'm missing a fuckton of pictures because I'm too lazy to carry a DSLR body around with me.

The E-M5 seems like a great body to throw into your bag without much consideration for size/weight. And it seems that our M42 glass works pretty great on it too. So am I horribly mistaken or is this really a great every-day walking around camera?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You're not going to be happy using the M42 glass on a m43 camera unless you really like telephoto lenses. Even a wide angle M42 lens like a 28mm one will be quite long.

You may want to look into a Rebel SL1 or M3 if you already have a lot of decent EF glass.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popelmon posted:

I'm wondering if a used E-M5 is the right camera for me. Right now my father and I share our gear, we have a 70D, a T5i, a bunch of EF mount glass and a ton of M42 glass. I'm pretty happy with our setup (the T5i is kinda redundant but we need two bodies) but I think I'm missing a fuckton of pictures because I'm too lazy to carry a DSLR body around with me.

The E-M5 seems like a great body to throw into your bag without much consideration for size/weight. And it seems that our M42 glass works pretty great on it too. So am I horribly mistaken or is this really a great every-day walking around camera?

Mirrorless is only a half class lighter than your APSC Canon gears. Have you consider Ricoh GR or X100?

Also, comedy DJI OSMO option.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 11, 2015

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Popelmon posted:

I'm wondering if a used E-M5 is the right camera for me.
The EM5 doesn't have focus peaking, so if you are going to be adapting lenses, an EM10 or Panasonic GX7 might be better. But if size/weight is your concern, forget adapting and get some M43 lenses. The EPL6 kit is $299 now. The lens is so-so, but you can always pick up a Panasonic 20mm pancake for a reasonable price too.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 11, 2015

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Re: E-M5

If you have EF and M42 glass, the M3 lets you use all of it with adapters, and both mounts are readily available in EOS M adapter format.

If you are used to the behavior of your glass on your 70D and T5i crops, those are at 1.6x with the EOS M's, and the E-M5 is a micro 4/3rds at 2.0x.

If you want a lower price option for the body, Canon is about to release an EOS M10 entry level at a lower cost than the M3, but... it's a lesser camera, based on the M2.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Thanks for the answers, really gives me something to think about. I guess I should try to find a store that actually has these cameras to fondle them a bit to see if they actually feel smaller/lighter enough to justify a switch.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

If you do go M3, the 22mm EF-M prime is your effective 35mm, but like all EF-M glass is plagued by the bluegreen or depending on your eyes, greenyellow tinting. This is because the lens coatings are a purpleish shade and not well canceled. It has a nice artistic effect, but is why I carry the Sigma EF 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM A as my general purpose lens.

Using EF lenses at 300-600g plus adapter of weight doubles the mass and signifigantly reduces portability, but I carry a camera bag whenever I leave home.

Buying just the body and mount adapter is advised if the bluegreen bothers you, check online for examples.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
There's been a few Sony A7 popping up on local trading boards, what's the general opinion on this camera secondhand? I've currently got a Sony nex-5RK which i mainly use with adapted M42 and PK glass, which is the main reason for wanting to upgrade to a fullframe sensor.

Also, how necessary is the grip?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I would sell my A7 if someone were interested. Just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

whatever7 posted:

Mirrorless is only a half class lighter than your APSC Canon gears. Have you consider Ricoh GR or X100?

Also, comedy DJI OSMO option.

Yes! Consider the GR! It's a delightful little camera.

Alternately, I got quite a lot of wonderful shots with the RX100 that I used before the GR, too. In fact, if they'd build the RX100 with a fixed lens à la a cheap version of the RX1 I'd buy it this holiday season as my walkaround camera - the one true downside of the GR is its awful video (of course, now I got a 6s+ so that's less of a care for me, but).

Anyway I use the GR a lot when I don't want to lug around my A7r (which I know is a ridiculous statement compared to my DSLRs of yore).

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Frobbe posted:

Not very. I've had my A7S since it first came out and I can't really think of any particular times I've pined for the battery grip. Shooting vertical is fine if you shoot with the grip down instead of the grip up like most people do. This is true of cameras in general. I use to use a vertical grip on my old 40D all the time until I learned to shoot grip-down and then after that the grip was just a dust collector. If you shoot grip-down, then you're straining less, getting truer verticals and increasing stability.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Frobbe posted:

There's been a few Sony A7 popping up on local trading boards, what's the general opinion on this camera secondhand? I've currently got a Sony nex-5RK which i mainly use with adapted M42 and PK glass, which is the main reason for wanting to upgrade to a fullframe sensor.

I just bought one used and it's pretty awesome so far. Super easy to shoot in manual mode with too, since all of the dials are right where your hand is going to be.

One thing I have noticed is that with the 24-70mm F4 Zeiss lens there's some fisheye at 24mm. Has anyone else noticed this too? Does it happen with the kit lens of the same length?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The XF 23mm takes such gorgeous pictures god drat hnnnggg

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Frobbe posted:

I have a secondhand a7. It is glorious for adapting old cheap lenses (I got a cheap 85mm FD and a 500mm mirror lens at a yard sale), and I love the camera.

My only problem was the shutter broke on a shoot, I got it repaired at a local camera repair store for 350usd in a week, but otherwise it is a great camera, focus peaking is pretty easy to get used to, and I have gigantic man hands so for me a grip is more of a matter of adapting a smallish camera to me.

So my only warning is the a7 has been known to have some shutter issues and lacks a native lens system (I mean for 1000usd why the hell are the zooms not f 2.8 even with the low light monster). I have some Minolta zooms, and it does drink batteries ( for my 15 hours of photography I went through 6 batteries). It is an 8.5 out of 10 camera, has some issues (I suspect it is because compared to my 40d the batteries are tiny and common with the NEX series)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ryand-Smith posted:

So my only warning is the a7 has been known to have some shutter issues and lacks a native lens system (I mean for 1000usd why the hell are the zooms not f 2.8 even with the low light monster).

Those f/2.8 zooms would be pretty huge on the A7. There's no getting around physics (or cost) yet.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Considering how fast the a6000 eats through batteries, I'm not surprised at the stories about the a7 series being even worse, and it seems like a major problem for covering events even once you get past the lens selection issue.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

This is any mirrorless camera. I was shooting a 3 hour event with my XT-1 and burned through 2.5 batteries.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The nice thing about the A7 series is that it uses the same batteries as the NEX series so to have a NEX body on hand as an emergency backup is easy. The 5N body without lens or battery weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a bit confused by the Olympus lineup. Is it E-M1 > E-M5 II > E-M10 II > the older models I guess?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm a bit confused by the Olympus lineup. Is it E-M1 > E-M5 II > E-M10 II > the older models I guess?

More or less yes.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Digital Jesus posted:

yes except e-m1 is pretty old (by mirrorless standards) now so e-m5ii and even e-m10ii have some advantages over it.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 12, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
As rumored, the next Zeiss lens for E-mount is the Loxia 21mm f/2.8, with an MSRP of $1,499.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

LiquidRain posted:

This is any mirrorless camera. I was shooting a 3 hour event with my XT-1 and burned through 2.5 batteries.

My record is 6 batteries at an all day wedding (10am until late). Not a huge deal, 2 Wasabi's and a charger are $20 so I have 8 and keep a charger in my car.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For what it's worth my EM1 has been phenomenal about battery life. I shot 5 Spartan Races this year and I don't think I used more than 6 per day, taking anywhere from 8,000 to 14,000 pictures per day.

E: It reaaaalllly helps to disable Rec View/Preview.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is anybody talking about this ultra-hyped Light camera yet? this thing looks really f'ing ridiculous. can't imagine it being more than a gimmick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MMD3 posted:

is anybody talking about this ultra-hyped Light camera yet? this thing looks really f'ing ridiculous. can't imagine it being more than a gimmick.

Someone linked me to it on FB the other day. It's a clever little thing but yeah it screams gimmick.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I wonder how Lytro is doing financially

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For being so superawesome DSLR quality, the samples posted were noise reduced like crap.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Combat Pretzel posted:

For being so superawesome DSLR quality, the samples posted were noise reduced like crap.

This was my thought. I think they might have an interesting tech to incorporate into phones someday, but.

I mean I get that they are working with prototypes but their gallery is awful and full of crappy photoshop/photoshop-like effects.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MMD3 posted:

I think this camera has a lot higher chance to survive if its just a fixed lens 60mp (whatever) camera with 4-6 cellphone camera modules and sell for $500-700. Plus if they get 4 camera arrangement working they can sell it to the cellphone companies.

People who spend 1k+ on a camera usually know what dynamic range and noise are. The sample gallery look like 1" sensor camera quality to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I have a feeling they didn't really do a market survey and it's gonna end up just like the Lytro. People like us won't really be interested in it and the casual crowd would just stick to their phone cameras.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think the bigger point is that you control the DoF in post and then just export normal JPGs. Why Lytro thought anyone would want to deal with their stupid proprietary format is beyond me, but at least the L16 isn't forcing something dumb like that on us.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Did you know? The Panasonic GM1 is the smallest camera that has ever been made in the universe.

The lens it comes with is thicker than the body even when collapsed and the Panasonic 20 mm pancake is so big that the camera won't sit flat on a table. I'm thinking of getting one of the Olympus body cap lenses for it; does anybody have experience with the 9 mm one vs. the 15 mm? The 9 mm is wider than anything I own right now so I'm leaning toward that, but not sure how well that focal length will work for a general use pocketable camera.

In the mean time,

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I used to recommend that combo to friends until the RX100 series came out.